Disney Fantasy Tips

Did you win the lottery?

TCD

Ha ha ha

I booked April the first day the Star Wars day was announced. It's increased in price significantly since then. Keep in mind... I only have 1 kid. That helps.

I'm still not 100% sure we can go, but things are looking very good.

I hope that you can get to go.

Although I am a Gold Castaway Cay member (5+ DCL cruises)- I've never been on the Fantasy.

Since you're looking for tips specific to that ship, I can't help you.  But, that ship is the twin of the Dream, and I know a lot about Castaway Cay.  So, I could be of some help if no one else steps up.

TCD

I've been on the Fantasy but it was back in May 2012. I have been on the Dream 3 times as well. Fantasy has a nice adult shaded lounge area with a wading pool that they've just added to the Dream. It also has the Aqualab splash area that Z would like. There's the detective agency game that he'd like. You can work on those throughout the week. I think they are giving some fastpasses for meeting certain characters--check with guest relations about that when you board. 

This site has had some good information and also provides copies of navigators to see what activities you can expect http://disneycruiselineblog.com/

I hope that you can get to go.

Although I am a Gold Castaway Cay member (5+ DCL cruises)- I've never been on the Fantasy.

Since you're looking for tips specific to that ship, I can't help you. But, that ship is the twin of the Dream, and I know a lot about Castaway Cay. So, I could be of some help if no one else steps up.

TCD

I'll take general advice too!

I've been on the Fantasy but it was back in May 2012. I have been on the Dream 3 times as well. Fantasy has a nice adult shaded lounge area with a wading pool that they've just added to the Dream. It also has the Aqualab splash area that Z would like. There's the detective agency game that he'd like. You can work on those throughout the week. I think they are giving some fastpasses for meeting certain characters--check with guest relations about that when you board.

This site has had some good information and also provides copies of navigators to see what activities you can expect http://disneycruiselineblog.com/

Thanks!

I'll take general advice too!

OK, then.

TCD's top 10 DCL tips:

1.  Alcohol.  DCL's policy is very generous as to what you can carry on.  Carry it on and save $.  Also bring some bottled water- it's expensive on the ship.

2. The special premium dining opportunities (Palo and Remy) are worth it.  Go to one or both.  Especially a brunch.  You can reserve this in advance.  If you don't, they will take reservations on the boarding day.  Do it then.

3.  The kids' clubs are the best in the industry.  Sign your kid up on the ship on the first day. Don't stand in the long line in the terminal.  You'll have plenty of opportunities on board.

4.  Bring lanyards for everyone to carry his or her KTTW card.  You need it for everything.

5. If you want to snorkel on Castaway Cay, bring your own gear and save the cost of renting it.  The rental bikes are the best deal on the island- and there's no need for an advance reservation.  Also, they rent by the hour, but no one times you- so only pay for an hour.

6.  The Aqua Duck is fun, but always crowded.  Bring swim suits in your carryon and try to ride it early on boarding day, before the sail away.  Other good times are late at night, and port days.

7.  Room service is 24 hours and free.  Mickey Premium bars are not on the published menu, but they will bring them.  For free.  Bring a stack of $1's and use those for tips as needed.

8.  Do not miss the fireworks on pirate night. 

9. Do not pre-book any excursions. You can do what you want on your own for a lot cheaper (you already know that).  And stay on the ship in some ports- you can enjoy some of the amenities when it's not crowded.

10.  Get ahold of some Navigators for your particular itinerary now, and rough out what you want to do.  The nightly shows in the main theater are really good, and you don't want to miss them if you can avoid it.

That's a good start.

TCD

OK, then.

TCD's top 10 DCL tips:

1.  Alcohol.  DCL's policy is very generous as to what you can carry on.  Carry it on and save $.  Also bring some bottled water- it's expensive on the ship.

I hate to correct you on this point but they changed the policy a couple months ago. You can now only bring on 2 bottles of wine per person or a 6 pack of beer per person. No hard alcohol. You can now resupply at each port up to the original levels. 

Also as for not booking excursions through Disney it is true you can book them cheaper that way but keep in mind its your responsibility to make it back to the ship. If something happens on your excursion and you dont make it then its your problem catching back up to the ship. If you are on a Disney booked excursion they will get you back to the ship if something happens. 

For instance on my cruise the bus broke down. We did make it back in time but it started to get real close. Since I booked through Disney I knew I would get back to the ship if not at this port then the next and Disney would take care of it. 

I hate to correct you on this point but they changed the policy a couple months ago. You can now only bring on 2 bottles of wine per person or a 6 pack of beer per person. No hard alcohol. You can now resupply at each port up to the original levels. 

Also as for not booking excursions through Disney it is true you can book them cheaper that way but keep in mind its your responsibility to make it back to the ship. If something happens on your excursion and you dont make it then its your problem catching back up to the ship. If you are on a Disney booked excursion they will get you back to the ship if something happens. 

For instance on my cruise the bus broke down. We did make it back in time but it started to get real close. Since I booked through Disney I knew I would get back to the ship if not at this port then the next and Disney would take care of it. 

No worries, things change.

But, that alcohol policy- especially the part about reloading in ports- is more generous than other cruise lines (I think).

Good point about the excursions.  Personally, I think a lot of them are just too expensive.  I'd rather enjoy the less crowded ship anyway.

TCD

No worries, things change.

But, that alcohol policy- especially the part about reloading in ports- is more generous than other cruise lines (I think).

Good point about the excursions.  Personally, I think a lot of them are just too expensive.  I'd rather enjoy the less crowded ship anyway.

TCD

It is pretty good being able to reload at port but for say my wife who prefers Rum based drinks shes sunk. I would have liked to see 2 botles of wine, a 6 pack or 1 bottle of hard liquor. 

I havent seen many excursions that really interest me. The one I went on was going to Mayan ruins and I am a big archaeology and history buff so I was excited to check those out. Sil just wants to sit on a beach and go in the water. We found one that was all day beach with food and alcohol for her and mine which brought you back to the same beach as SIl for the last couple of hours. My bus just made it there as the last bus for hers was headed back. She was freaking out wondering where I was. I was able to catch her before she got on her bus. Then we both headed back to the port. 

It is pretty good being able to reload at port but for say my wife who prefers Rum based drinks shes sunk. I would have liked to see 2 botles of wine, a 6 pack or 1 bottle of hard liquor. 

I havent seen many excursions that really interest me. The one I went on was going to Mayan ruins and I am a big archaeology and history buff so I was excited to check those out. Sil just wants to sit on a beach and go in the water. We found one that was all day beach with food and alcohol for her and mine which brought you back to the same beach as SIl for the last couple of hours. My bus just made it there as the last bus for hers was headed back. She was freaking out wondering where I was. I was able to catch her before she got on her bus. Then we both headed back to the port. 

For rum, I have a buddy who told me to check out Youtube and what you can do with Dasani or Aquafina water bottles.  He sails on very restrictive cruise lines, and that trick works like a charm for him.

Here's the link for GDF or anyone else who needs it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmY5uN18SaU

What port were you in for the Mayan ruins?  I considered an excursion when we stopped at Costa Maya once, but it was a long drive, and seemed like we'd be on the bus as long as we were at the ruins.  And it was very expensive.

TCD

7.  Room service is 24 hours and free.  Mickey Premium bars are not on the published menu, but they will bring them.  For free.  Bring a stack of $1's and use those for tips as needed.

You also can order them for dessert in the restaurants even though they're not on the menu. Possibly you can order them as an appetizer and/or entree too. I've never tried that since I just thought of that now! (I've been on the Dream and the Wonder but not the Fantasy.)

You also can order them for dessert in the restaurants even though they're not on the menu. Possibly you can order them as an appetizer and/or entree too. I've never tried that since I just thought of that now! (I've been on the Dream and the Wonder but not the Fantasy.)

That's a good tip, and reminds me of another one- on DCL you rotate around to different restaurants.  The menus change as well.  If there was something you liked at one of the restaurants and you want to have it at your next one, even if it's not on the menu, ask your server, and I'll bet he or she will get it for you.

TCD

For rum, I have a buddy who told me to check out Youtube and what you can do with Dasani or Aquafina water bottles.  He sails on very restrictive cruise lines, and that trick works like a charm for him.

What port were you in for the Mayan ruins?  I considered an excursion when we stopped at Costa Maya once, but it was a long drive, and seemed like we'd be on the bus as long as we were at the ruins.  And it was very expensive.

TCD

I went to one at Cozumel. Not as stupendous as some others but my first time getting to see ancient ruins of any kind so I had a lot of fun. 

There was another option with a ferry to the main land and then a bus but with all the travel time I didnt want to do that. Figured these were good enough for a first time. 

I have another plan for July cruise. It seems to have worked well for a grumpy guy I know. 

I went to one at Cozumel. Not as stupendous as some others but my first time getting to see ancient ruins of any kind so I had a lot of fun. 

There was another option with a ferry to the main land and then a bus but with all the travel time I didnt want to do that. Figured these were good enough for a first time. 

I have another plan for July cruise. It seems to have worked well for a grumpy guy I know. 

That may have been the same excursion I was considering.  That cruise, we were supposed to dock in Cozumel, but that was the year their docks were damaged in a hurricane (2005), so we ended up in Costa Maya.

I'm glad we didn't go.  The buses and the whole think looked kind of sketchy.  Maybe it was the same outfit that operated your excursion since your bus broke down.

TCD

That may have been the same excursion I was considering.  That cruise, we were supposed to dock in Cozumel, but that was the year their docks were damaged in a hurricane (2005), so we ended up in Costa Maya.

Were the ruins at San Gervasio?  I've been there.  The ruins aren't bad, but the mosquitoes were so thick you could barely see in front of you.  Thankfully we were well prepared with DEET.  Others in our group weren't so lucky.

We pretty much always do our own excursions. They're cheaper, and the group is smaller. When we stopped in Jamaica last week, we actually had a private driver take us to a lesser known waterfall. In Grand Cayman, we took a cab to a beach. Both days were awesome!

Were the ruins at San Gervasio?  I've been there.  The ruins aren't bad, but the mosquitoes were so thick you could barely see in front of you.  Thankfully we were well prepared with DEET.  Others in our group weren't so lucky.

I believe that is where I went but there werent many mosquitos at all there. 

Ugh we did some ruin thing and we had to take a ferry and then a bus forever in the pouring rain. It.was.awful

A huge time suck, the ferry boat was large but the seas were rough, at times I was sure we were going to die, soooo many people were barfing so it smelled too. It.was.awful. Did I mention it was awful? And it was raining so hard you couldn't even see anything and couldn't take your camera out because of the rain.

Anything in particular I should be looking for?

This is our first Disney cruise. Two RCCL cruises before, we were actually married on an RCCL ship.

So,far we have discovered that we prefer Sandals to cruises, but maybe Disney will change that.

I hate to correct you on this point but they changed the policy a couple months ago. You can now only bring on 2 bottles of wine per person or a 6 pack of beer per person. No hard alcohol.

But "Covert" wine bottles work wonders. :)