To Fire pit or not to Fire pit,,,,, that is the question

We are taking kids to Fort for spring break.  Will be there for 7 days.  Trying to decide on taking fire pit or not. 

How long do they have fire going for campfire sing along?  Can you hang out by fire?  Just hate to lug it with us and not use it....But hate to wish I had it....... How much do they charge for bundle of wood at Fort?  

Thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sherryberry I not.

Get the foldable one. It doubles as a grill and is so small when collapsed.

This is tomorrow's forecast here...     Flip flops for Christmas it is!!

The fire at the campfire is not kept going strong after the start of the movie. So only about and hour or so. 

Keep in mind that if you want a fire at your site, the Fort is very restrictive on the type of fire pit that you can have.  It must be fully covered (not a screen). 

I don't remember if they have wood but I seem to recall that they do not sell it at trading post.

If it is cool you may want to bring it but depending how busy you are with parks, etc., it may not get used much.

Have fun.

We are taking kids to Fort for spring break.  Will be there for 7 days.  Trying to decide on taking fire pit or not. 

How long do they have fire going for campfire sing along?  Can you hang out by fire?  Just hate to lug it with us and not use it....But hate to wish I had it....... How much do they charge for bundle of wood at Fort?  

Thanks.

Here is the link to the approved fire pits

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/approved-fire-pits-for-fort-wilderness-r57

It says back in 2013 wood was $24 delivered.

The Fort doesn't even allow open flamed propane pits, even though they are allowed in campgrounds when there is a burning ban.

Thanks,  We have a pit that is approved.  Just not sure I want to deal with bringing it.  Not sure how much use it will get?

If you are like us, trying to get time to sit around the site and relax is tough, at least with our crowd and two granddaughters.

It's hard work taking a vacation at the Fort!  :P

Too much to do and see and that's not even counting Park time.

We don't bother with a fire at the Fort either. If there is a chill outside, we have one of those tank top propane heaters (like some folks bring to youth ball games).

It isn't on the disallowed list and doesn't have a flame, but lets off a good amount of heat.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Illinois and here we have very strict bans on bringing/transporting wood anywhere. Does the same ban apply in Florida?

I am not sure that there's an actual law for recreational/private transportation of firewood, but it's definitely discouraged: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/Registrations-and-Certifications/Firewood-Regulations

TCD

I am not sure that there's an actual law for recreational/private transportation of firewood, but it's definitely discouraged: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/Registrations-and-Certifications/Firewood-Regulations

TCD

This is from the FL Dept of Agriculture.

It doesn't say anything specifically about firewood, but it does say that travel trailers/Rv's are exempt from inspections

(1)(a) Any duly authorized employee of the department shall have full access at all reasonable hours to inspect:

1. All:
a. Places of business;
b. Factories;
c. Farm buildings;
d. Carriages;
e. Railroad cars;
f. Trucks;
g. Motor vehicles, except private passenger automobiles with no trailer in tow, travel trailers, camping trailers, van conversions, and motor homes as defined in s. 320.01(1)(B), or pickup trucks not carrying agricultural, horticultural, or livestock products and which have visible access to the entire cargo area, or city, county, state, or federal vehicles;

But they do have an entire page about firewood rules and laws.

If it's a commercial hauler they have to be registered, etc.

It doesn't look like there is a law yet about private firewood hauling but they do have this...

Protect Florida's Forests — Don't Move Firewoodfirewood_usda-dof_uga3036044.jpg

Millions of ash trees are dead or dying in the United States and Canada due to the emerald ash borer, an invasive (non-native) insect pest. Over 15,000 hardwood trees have been removed in the Toronto and Vaughan area to control the Asian longhorned beetle, another invasive insect.

You can help to control these and other invasive insects and diseases by limiting the movement of firewood, especially from out of state. Firewood may contain insect pests and plant diseases that could easily spread to other locations. The best way to protect your forest is to use firewood from the area where you plan to burn it.

Across Florida, campers are encouraged to take some simple steps to help ensure the healthy future of the state's parks and forests:

1. Leave firewood at home and purchase aged firewood near your campsite location. Many parks offer firewood for sale at a reasonable price or private sellers will have it available just outside the park.
  2. Firewood purchased at or near your destination should be used during your camping vacation. Don't leave any unused wood behind and don't take it with you to another destination.
  3. If you can't burn your wood, donate it to a fellow camper.
  4. When buying firewood, make sure you receive pieces that are dry and have either little bark or bark that is loose (a sign that the wood is very dry). Not only will this reduce the threat of spreading diseases, your fire will be easier to start.
  5. Reduce your need for an open fire by cooking over gas or charcoal when possible.

Take-Home Lessons:

If you're a camper from outside Florida, please don't bring firewood with you.

If you're a camper from Florida, please only use firewood from a Florida source. If possible, consider purchasing firewood from a vendor near or inside the park or forest where you're staying.

Help protect Florida's natural resources by following these firewood recommendations:

"Buy firewood when you reach your destination and burn it all on site."

Yesterday, I saw a man using the BBQ grill.. as a fire pit.

Go figure...

Yep.  It happens.

If our plan for next year happens, we'll be there in late Dec/January.  It's the first trip where I'm seriously considering packing a fire pit.

After this year's trip - where it was mid-high 80s the whole time - I'm looking forward to cooler temps!

Yep. It happens.

If our plan for next year happens, we'll be there in late Dec/January. It's the first trip where I'm seriously considering packing a fire pit.

After this year's trip - where it was mid-high 80s the whole time - I'm looking forward to cooler temps!

Course we are looking at 80's for our Christmas trip.