Disney Fantasy - December 2015

Having never cruised,with Disney before we were not sure what to expect, but having cruised Alaska a few years ago in an aft cabin that is what we tried for. On Disney the aft cabins are classified as 5E. By the time we booked, the 5E cabins were in a GTY status, meaning we would get a 5E or better. But, the "better" may have been another upgraded cabin with a veranda. About two months before sailing our Disney on line account changed from unassigned to cabin 6190, aft 5E that we wanted.

As you enter the cabin you find the A/C controls as well as the light switches. Below these switches is a place to insert your room key card (known as your Key to the World card in Disney speak). If your card is not inserted in this slot none of the electrical items will work in the cabin, thus forcing all the lights and TV off when you leave. To be honest I brought an old KTTW card form a Walt Disney World trip and found that it worked. But, the cabin steward would pull it up any time he entered and left the cabin.

For us (a couple) at least there was ample drawer and hanger space. In the closet is an electronic combination safe. The bed sits high enough that all your luggage should fit under it without a problem.

This cabin is equipped with an actual queen bed rather than the two twins pushed together you find on some ships. It also has a couch past the bed, next to the sliding door to the veranda. This couch open to another bed and there is a sliding drape between the two areas. A table along the wall acts as a dresser and dressing table (mirror and hair drier are here). Below it there is a mini fridge and above is your TV.

This cabin has a split bath configuration, meaning the bath is in two separate rooms. On room has the shower and a sink while the other has the toilet and a second sink allowing a couple,to have ample room to get ready at the same time.

Each cabin also comes with two “Wave Phones” which are kind of like on ship cell phones. The problem is you only get one charger and if you loose one it's a $250 charge to your room. We never used them, What we really did use was the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app for our smart phones. This app keeps you up to date on everything happening on the ship. Maps, show times and the best feature of all is the message function. We had 12 adults in our party and you can text back and forth among yourselves using the ship WiFi (no charge to your minutes for the app). But, I will point out in my experience a problem with it. I downloaded the app to both my iPhone and iPad. For some reason text messages for me went to one or the other randomly, not both devices.

As our vacations normally consist of trips to Sandals adult all inclusive resorts we were concerned about a Disney cruise and a higher number of children on the ship,over a "normal" cruise line. It's hard to describe, but this is not an issue. While there are lots of kids around there are also lots of kids activities. That, plus a quiet adult only area make it a great cruise.

We were dropped off on the curb by our shuttle and a porter came over to take our checked bags. Remember to tip these guys as they are working hard to get your bags where they need to go. I was surprised to see multiple people just leave their bags on the curb and walk away. While the porters did pick them up I personally would be concerned that they wouldn't make the ship. I was meeting my sister who drove so we walked over to the parking garage. As a note, if you need to use the rest room before you go through security there is one in the parking garage which is just across the driveway from the drop off curb.

Security check as you enter the Disney Cruise building was quick and efficient. There are two magnetometer areas, one on the ground level where you would be dropped off by a shuttle and one on level three of the parking garage. Like the airport, remove all metal objects for a walk through mag and all carry on bags go through a belt mag. No questions asked about the four bottles in my carry on bag.

With a port arrival time of 10:45 - 11:00 I think we got there at about 10:30. Remember to complete your on line check it as this will save time boarding the cruise. There are separate lines for those on their first Disney Cruise and for those who are members of the Disney Cruise Line's Castaway Club (you automatically join after your first cruise. As my sister is a member we were directed into a Castaway Club line with her party. The wait in line was about 10 minutes. They check your documents, passport, take a picture and provide you with your boarding group. We ended up in boarding group 6 and once our boarding group was called it was through the mouse ears and another 15 minute wait in line to board.

Once on board its time to sign up for things you can't do or didn't do ahead of time. We signed up for the Castaway Cay 5K, the float/bike/snorkel package on Castaway cay and my internet access. Don't wait in any lines to sign up for internet. Just turn on your device (I used my iPad) and go to DCLguest.com On that page you can sign up for access you can share on multiple devises. On the day of sailing only you can get 50 MB for free. There are also other choices; pay as you go 25 cents per MB, 100 MB for $29, 500 MB for $49 or $90 for 1,000 MB. I signed up for the free 50 and the 1,000 package and used it all. The internet is kind of like slow DSL, but it works for most things. We used it for e-mail, checking the newspaper a few times, streaming the audio for a football game and posting a few times on forums. Just note – turn off all things on your devices that automatically update. Your device downloading a bunch of podcasts or updating your apps will eat up your MB quickly.

We left port on time at 5 to very windy conditions. The Captain announced that we would have high seas crossing the Gulf Steam. He was right. Probably 25% of folks missed dinner. They called it 12 - 15 foot seas.

Day two became relaxing as the seas calmed down in the morning. Days two and three were at sea, so we got to check out all the ship has to offer. It has a lot. I know I'll never be able to list them all, so I'll just mention things we really liked or thought were neat.

First, the spa. We signed up for the week long package in the “Rainforest”. I had a difficult time understanding this before we got to the ship because it just wasn't clear what his was. This is a quiet relaxing area. It has four open showers that have multiple “rain” programs. It sounded hokey to me, but they are great. There are also multiple dry/wet saunas at different temperatures and wonderful heated tile loungers. On the fantasy there is alos an outer deck area in the Rainforest with two, two person hot tubs. We tend not to go to the stage shows on cruises so we found that during the first dinner service when many other folks were also at a show the Rainforest was deserted. You can see a YouTube of a Rainforest here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNL-inZJp4E

On our second “port” day we chose to stay on the ship. The spa ran specials and we took advantage of one. A 50 minute full body massage and a 25 minute facial for $149. If you are staying on the ship, look for specials.

As with most cruise lines, on a Disney ship you will be assigned an early or late dining rotation, meaning dinner will be 5:30 or 8:15. Disney uses a unique dining rotation of restaurants, but your server follows you. There are three restaurants in the rotation, so during a seven day cruise you will visit two of them twice and one of them three times. The three are: Animator's Palate, Royal Court and Enchanted Garden. Your KTTW card will have a code on it telling you where you need to be each night; like AERAERA. Just look a the letter and the forst letter of the restaurant and you know where to go. By the end of night two our server and assistant really understood what we liked and anticipated what we might want. We have found the food spectacular, much better than the RCCL ships we have been on. By day five I was feeling the effects of over indulgence of food. Another tip here. Order all you wan. Want two appetizers, order them. Want two main dishes, yup – get them. It's all included. Plus, if there is something you find you like you can always order it the day before from your server. My wife loved the Sea bass on night one so she ordered it a couple of times more. If it's on the ship, you can have it by ordering ahead. Dietary restrictions, allergies? It seems they can take care of it. Just talk to your server.

Bottle water and soda from a bar will cost you, but there is a soda fountain on deck 11 next to the pool that is open 24 hours where you can get water/soda. Heck there is even soft serve ice cream up there available all the time (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and banana were available during our cruise) .

In addition to the three restaurants, two,specialty restaurants are available at an up charge. Palo and Remy. We visited Palo $30 each plus gratuity) and found it was spectacular! Well worth the money.

Oh, in case you want more there is a buffet serving breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Add to that 24 hour room service and you can not go hungry.

Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. We visited here the last full day of our cruise. They start the day with a 5K race for those who want to sign up. We did it and had a blast. You don't have to be a hard core runner, heck you can walk it if you want. All who finish end up with a medal.

On the island there are multiple beach areas with ample lounge chairs. There is even an adult only beach. You can rent bikes, rent mask fins & snorkel and even rent floats to lie on in the water. The cove is very well protected so not a lot of wave action is happening on the main beach. They have a package for all three that saves you a few dollars but you have to pre-book on the ship.

Just like on the ship, food is included. They have plenty of food just behind the main beach as well as the adult beach. Also just like the ship, alcohol is always available for sale.

Shows/movies:  Each evening there is a major production show which is done twice so each dinner seating can see the show.  In addition to these there are multiple smaller shows with more "adult" entertainment later in the evening in the clubs/bars.  There is also a movie theater showing moves most all day/night long.  During the week we were able to catch Ant-Man, Bridge of Spies and The Good Dinosaur.

I'm sure I've skipped over stuff and forgotten stuff, so ask questions and I'll answer and edit as it goes on.....

OK, back with more thoughts.....

Deck 11 and above is the place to be most of the time.  The back third of deck 11 is Cabanas, the buffet restaurant.  Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner every day  As you move forward you find the pools. On each side of the pools you have coffee and soda 24 hours a day.  There is also the ice cream station here, a bar and a quick service food station.  Dogs, burgers, sandwiches, fried foods, fries and sides.  Two pools, a large hot tub a little kids splash zone, lots of both lounge chairs as well as table & chairs and the neatest thing going - "Funnel Vision"  Think of the big screen at an arena or stadium.  Now, mount that on the ships funnel, play Disney movies all day and you have "Funnel Vision". A stage in front of the Funnel Vision allows them to host shows here also, including the Pirate Night show (see below).  Continuing forward you will find the quiet "adults" area.  This has another pool with swim up bar, hot tub and more seating.  While kids can "pass through" this area they are not allowed to linger. Finally completing the trip forward on deck 11 you find the Senses Spa.

Steps from deck 11 lead up to the "AquaDuck", a water coaster.  You ride elongated inflated floats through a clear acrylic tube that completely circles the ship, even going out over the side in one section. it's more than a water slide, almost like a roller coaster.  Quick turns, drops and rises make for a fun ride.  Adult and children riders must be at least 42" or taller. Single riders must be at least 54" or taller.

Aft on Deck 13 is the sports area.  An enclosed basketball court, Goofy mini golf, and ping pong tables provide a fun atmosphere.  Off this sports deck is a simulator room with golf, baseball and basketball simulators.

Pirate Night - The night starts with a pirate theme dinner.  it is followed by the “Pirates in the Caribbean” Deck Party which is a Captain Jack show followed by the only fireworks sow on a cruise ship.  Disney places a pirate head bandanna in each stateroom, but let me tell you some folks go all out for pirate night.  I saw some folks on my cruise that had to have spent hundreds, if not above a thousand for their costume.  It was amazing!

I wish I could provide details about the kids areas and child care, but being an adult couple we really did not deal with it. Let me just say, the kids that were traveling in our party really didn't want to come out of their “space”. I can tell you that the kids are protected. Unless written approval is given, no other adult can “check them out”. This is all controlled by authorization set up on your KTTW card. Plus, you need a secret word given at the start of the cruise by the parents before Disney cast members will let you take a child out.

my wife and I are taking my grandmother on her very first cruise. 7 days in the Eastern Caribbean on the Disney Fantasy. She doesnt know it yet but that will be followed up with a few days at Disney World.

Your July sounds better then mine.

Wow, great job with the review.

One thing about the key holder near the door- any kind of plastic card will work-doesn't have to be a KTTW card.  It's a good idea to use something that you wouldn't mind losing. 

The Navigator App is something new since we last cruised DCL.  They've had those Wave phones for a while now, and I hated them.  The only way to text on them was like we had to do in the olden days- and I was and still am terrible at having to repeatedly push the number keys to come up with the correct letters.  Plus, the possibility of being charged for losing one of the phones made me not want to take them out of the room-so we didn't use them.  This app sounds like a big improvement.

Oh, and about the Gulf Stream- it is common to have rough sailing while crossing the Gulf Stream for just about any cruise out of Port Canaveral.  That's not unique to DCL.

TCD

Thanks for all the great comments!

Jason, I have to admit I never went around Cabanas around dinner time.  I yield to your knowledge.  I can imagine stocking a buffet for the few people who would show up with all the other great places would be cost prohibitive.

Now, on to more thoughts...

Dress on the ship.  During our 7 night cruise there was one "formal" night as well as one "dress up night" in addition to the "Pirate Night" talked about earlier.  Now, with that being said I saw folks wearing everything from a tux on formal night to shorts & tee shirts almost every night.  The only place where a dress code is enforced is Palo and Remy.  Palo requires dress shoes (no open toe/sandals for men), slacks (no shorts) and a collared dress shirt.  You may be able to get away with a polo shirt, but I didn't see anyone wearing one.  All the men I saw were wearing long sleeve dress shirts with a couple in jackets.  Remy ups the code to require the jacket.

If you are going to miss a night at your assigned restaurant, don't let it be your last night at Animator's Palate.  That night be on time/early as before the appetizer course each member of your party will be asked to draw a character.  Don't get nervous, I failed crayon as a kid and was still able to work it out with the supplies/directions given.  Not to spoil the night for you, but what Disney can do with what you draw as you enjoy dinner is amazing.  You are in for a treat this night.

The amazing thing about this ship (I'm sure all of the DCL fleet) is the Disney touch that covers the entire ship.  Everywhere you look is themed exactly as it should be.  Think of the details as you walk down Main Street at the Magic Kingdom and that is what you find in every square inch of the ship.

The employees - I was amazed at the quality and friendliness of every employee I met. The few I was able to talk to for a while truly loved their jobs.  Our server in Palo has seven years with Disney, two in the Mexico pavilion at Epcot and five on the ships. Our serve in our dining rotation was the best I have ever had.  As i said, by the end of night two she and her assistant had our likes and needs figured out and were not only able to anticipate things that we would want they paid attention to the details so that recommendations were individually based, not just pushing the special of the night.  These folks earn their money, no doubt about it!  Remember, they are on that ship for months at a time.  Officers get a cabin to themselves but most employees are two to a room with bunk beds.  Working 12 - 16 hours a day to make your day magical.  Tips are automatically charged to your room account (about $80 per person, $160 for us as a couple), but before the end of the cruise you will get four envelopes and a breakdown of how much you have already "tipped" your cabin attendant, head server, server and assistant server.  Of the four the head server is the one you will probably have the least amount of interaction with.  But, ours was great.  On the first night of the trip (remember, high seas) he noticed several of our party missing and asked how they were.  In the conversation we mentioned one of our party was back in the cabin taking care of his sick girlfriend.  In a flash he asked what he liked to eat, had a steak prepared and delivered to the room from the dining room we were in that night.