Take this as an un substantiated rumor at this time...

Another site has posted that starting 12/17, there will be airport type scanners that everyone will be going thru, plus handheld wands and additional uniformed and K-9 officers.

Changes due to a Miami gentleman entering the park with a loaded revolver with hollow point bullets?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to fire up the iPad to see the photos. work pc blocks photobucket.   It's a very poorly thought out, thrown together system.   And to top it off, they let how may thousands of runners go through

We just walked up to bag check at the MK, no signs of construction. They would have to make some sort of weather proof enclosure also.

There is no way that Disney is going to just suddenly implement airport level security at its bag check lines.   It would cost a fortune and would be a logistical nightmare. There would be no "no bags

Take this as an un substantiated rumor at this time...

Another site has posted that starting 12/17, there will be airport type scanners that everyone will be going thru, plus handheld wands and additional uniformed and K-9 officers.

Changes due to a Miami gentleman entering the park with a loaded revolver with hollow point bullets?

Honestly it take time and running electrical to get that set up. If it were coming the end of this week I would suspect its been in the works for a while now. Has anyone seen any signs of scanners being installed?

If this is originating where I think it is (so far all posts I've seen go back to one source), let's just say I'm skeptical.  B)

Probably the same original source I saw as well. 

I know Universal has been doing this so it may be coming but we shall see. 

What type of scanners are we talking about? (I have only flown once since 9-11 and that was from the Bahamas back to FL and all they had were metal detectors and the bag xray machines) something like that or the full body scanners?

Either way if it makes bag check easier and faster I can't complain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Probably the same original source I saw as well. 

I know Universal has been doing this so it may be coming but we shall see. 

We didn't see any scanners when we went to Universal this last trip. They had the standard bag check setup which we bypassed as we didn't take anything other than what would fit in our pockets.

We didn't see any scanners when we went to Universal this last trip. They had the standard bag check setup which we bypassed as we didn't take anything other than what would fit in our pockets.

I have heard them being used for Halloween Horror nights at least. Guess I assumed they were just always up. 

I have heard them being used for Halloween Horror nights at least. Guess I assumed they were just always up. 

They use them for HHN and in April they installed them at some of the thrill rides.  From what I've read the purpose was to avoid people having stuff fly out of their pockets that might injure someone.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-metal-detectors-universal-20150422-story.html

I agree, it's just a matter of time. I think they need them. I also think for safety they should ban some coolers and other large items, thermos, and water bottles. In this day and age and the sickos that are out there imagine what could really happen in side a theme park. It's down right scary

I Hope they follow through. The A holes of the world would have to choose an easier target. I haven't been airport security once without being pulled aside for greater scrutiny. It.makes feel safer every time.

After the Paris attacks they warned that there would be extra security at all the airports including increased scrutiny for those with TSA Pre-Check. When I flew on Monday, our TSA Pre-Check lane was actually open, and nothing different. Bags on the belt and walk through the metal detectors, didn't have to take out my laptop or liquids, and didn't have to take off my shoes.

Of course that was at our tiny local airport. We'll see what LGA has in store for me on Saturday.

There is no way that Disney is going to just suddenly implement airport level security at its bag check lines.

It would cost a fortune and would be a logistical nightmare. There would be no "no bags" line.  Every single guest would have to stop, empty his or her pockets and go through some type of scanner.  And, then the contents of their pockets and any bags they had would need to be x-rayed or scanned too. How many scanners are they going to have?  Have you ever noticed how many they have at an airport?  Not many.  Airports are able to funnel all of their passengers into a security area, where a few scanners can be used to scan just the actual ticketed passengers.  Disney would have to scan every single guest. Every guest in a scooter would have to be scanned.  Every stroller would have to be emptied, and kids scanned too. And people complain about the current bag check lines?

I wouldn't be surprised to see some increase in security, but we aren't going to see any kind of body scanners any time soon.

TCD

That would make sense given some of the stuff that happens at Halloween events.

They use them for HHN and in April they installed them at some of the thrill rides.  From what I've read the purpose was to avoid people having stuff fly out of their pockets that might injure someone.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-metal-detectors-universal-20150422-story.html

Seeing the list of rides explains why we didn't see them as we didn't go on those while we were there.

When we visited Six Flags Atlanta a few weeks ago, they had scanners at every turnstile.

How many turnstiles do they have there?

What did they do about bags? Do they x-ray them?

What about kids in strollers and guests in wheelchairs or scooters-how did they scan them?

The logistics for one small theme park with one entrance are obviously much simpler than for a place like WDW.

TCD

Will we have to use one of our fast pass+ for the scanners and are they going to increase the number of FP+s so we don't have to give up one of our tier 1 rides? Will we have to take off our MBs to go through the scanners.  What about the metal plate in my head?  If I have to have it removed my hair just won't part right. 

How many turnstiles do they have there?

What did they do about bags? Do they x-ray them?

What about kids in strollers and guests in wheelchairs or scooters-how did they scan them?

The logistics for one small theme park with one entrance are obviously much simpler than for a place like WDW.

TCD

They probably had 30 or so turnstiles.  I believe they were doing bag check along the scanner much like airport but bags were not being to closing inspected (not scanned).  I know they had gates dedicated to wheelchair but honestly didn't look to closely.  We were there at park opening and it was fairly quick.  However, I really don't think they are looking that closely.  I will also say, that terrorism is probably not there focus.  We have had issues in the past with rough clientele.  They have really cleaned that up and this was probably part of it.  I think they were really after guns/knives on the person.  Bag carrying folks are likely not their focus.

They probably got a discount on surplus scanner from ATL airport as those were upgraded ^_^

They probably had 30 or so turnstiles.  I believe they were doing bag check along the scanner much like airport but bags were not being to closing inspected (not scanned).  I know they had gates dedicated to wheelchair but honestly didn't look to closely.  We were there at park opening and it was fairly quick.  However, I really don't think they are looking that closely.  I will also say, that terrorism is probably not there focus.  We have had issues in the past with rough clientele.  They have really cleaned that up and this was probably part of it.  I think they were really after guns/knives on the person.  Bag carrying folks are likely not their focus.

They probably got a discount on surplus scanner from ATL airport as those were upgraded ^_^

30 scanners is a lot.  And, Disney would need a lot more than that.

Like you said, this sounds more about creating an appearance of security measures than it actually being a real effort to scan guests for dangerous objects.  To be even moderately effective, guests would need to empty their pockets and pass through the scanner.  Then whatever came out of their pockets and any bags they have would need to be scanned too.  Kids would need to vacate their strollers.  Or, better yet, strollers and coolers would need to be prohibited.  That is not going to go over very well with the entitled guests that Disney has created.

Not only would this cost a fortune for equipment, but think of the labor costs.  They would need an employee at each scanner- one for the body scan, and then another for the bag scan.  Times how many scanners?  They currently get away with having about a half dozen bag checkers on duty at the less busy parks, and maybe a dozen max at the MK.  What if they had to provide 60+ employees on duty to operate these scanners?  Who's going to pay for that?  Guests are.  But, they can only raise ticket prices a little bit each year.

TCD

30 scanners is a lot.  And, Disney would need a lot more than that.

Like you said, this sounds more about creating an appearance of security measures than it actually being a real effort to scan guests for dangerous objects.  To be even moderately effective, guests would need to empty their pockets and pass through the scanner.  Then whatever came out of their pockets and any bags they have would need to be scanned too.  Kids would need to vacate their strollers.  Or, better yet, strollers and coolers would need to be prohibited.  That is not going to go over very well with the entitled guests that Disney has created.

Not only would this cost a fortune for equipment, but think of the labor costs.  They would need an employee at each scanner- one for the body scan, and then another for the bag scan.  Times how many scanners?  They currently get away with having about a half dozen bag checkers on duty at the less busy parks, and maybe a dozen max at the MK.  What if they had to provide 60+ employees on duty to operate these scanners?  Who's going to pay for that?  Guests are.  But, they can only raise ticket prices a little bit each year.

TCD

They could easily increase ticket prices by 10 to 20%, and they would still have plenty of available suckers guests willing to pay the increased price.

Look at the cost of the Poly cottages, and the increasing demand for dining reservations, special boat parties, etc.

Great adventure has hand metal detectors for years ( at least since 1994ish). You had your bag through the metal detector, then they poke through it and then you walk through. But their attendance is nothing compared to Disney.

No, but gang quota is higher. LOL

Best Regards,

Norm