Anyone got one and how the heck do you house train these little guys!?

Our yorkie, Brutus, is about 6 months old and I think he has the brain of a pea! I take him out (fenced in backyard...lots of room for him to do his business!) and he come back in and pees again! Little booger!

He will go camping with us and I'm trying hard to house break him before we hit camping season full force! I don't want him to "go" in our camper!

We had a Yorkie for 14 years.  She was a great dog.  Sorry, but I gotta tell you she was the easiest dog I ever housetrained.  She had it down in 2 weeks.  She was a real mother hen to the kids - always keeping an eye on them, checked on them every night before she would go to bed.  The last night she was alive (terminal cancer), she checked on them - took her 1/2 hour for a task that normally took her 2 minutes.  She came into the living room and collapsed on the floor.  That dog really loved those kids.

We have a Silky Terrier. The Silky breed is half Yorkie. I've had other small breeds and Buddy takes a back seat to none of them when it comes to intelligence. Yorkies are harder to house train than a lot of other breeds. We made sure that we took him out every 3 hours when he was a puppy. By doing that we made sure that he didn't have the chance to have an accident in the house, while re-enforcing the fact that he should do his business outside. It seems to have worked, but you have to be consistent. Good luck.

My beagle was my toughest.  Hounds are kind of stubborn, but he came around.  Now he'd rather explode than have an accident in the house.

We had a Yorkie for 14 years.  She was a great dog.  Sorry, but I gotta tell you she was the easiest dog I ever housetrained.  She had it down in 2 weeks.  She was a real mother hen to the kids - always keeping an eye on them, checked on them every night before she would go to bed.  The last night she was alive (terminal cancer), she checked on them - took her 1/2 hour for a task that normally took her 2 minutes.  She came into the living room and collapsed on the floor.  That dog really loved those kids.

Sounds like you really loved that dog too  :banana:

She started out as my wife's dog, but after the kids were born, she hooked onto me.  She's been gone 13 years and I still miss her.

Some dogs are just like that. I lost the chihuahua in my avatar last Sept. I miss him everyday :heart:

She started out as my wife's dog, but after the kids were born, she hooked onto me.  She's been gone 13 years and I still miss her.

Ahhh...sounds like she was a good dog!

We have a 13 year old lhasa, too, who was great at house training!

This little booger is a sweetheart. We've had him since December but he just can't seem to get it that he has to go outside. I think my 3 year old was easier to train! I'm hoping with warmer weather he will do better!

• 2 weeks later...

Our yorkie, Brutus, is about 6 months old and I think he has the brain of a pea! I take him out (fenced in backyard...lots of room for him to do his business!) and he come back in and pees again! Little booger!

He will go camping with us and I'm trying hard to house break him before we hit camping season full force! I don't want him to "go" in our camper!

We have had 7 yorkies over the last 30 years and they are the most wonderful companions whether at home or traveling.....but, they are sometimes impossible to train.  They just always look so cute that it's hard to stay mad at them. Good luck with the training, mine think the proper place to go is on my throw rugs. At least they're washable!

All I can tell you is be persistent and cosistant.

the best words of advice for dog training.  :popo:  i tell people this all the time.  it won't happen over night.  my dogs will use potty pads in the house when it is extremely cold outside.  it is a good back up for when the weather gets bad.  try and make sure he goes 2x when you are outside or bring him in and take him right back out.  always expect 2 pees. lol :rofl2:

Mickey saves his pee so he can pee on every vertical object we pass on his walks.  He gets all messed up if I go around an extra block.  He can also poop at will.  I have never known a dog so full of crap.

Mickey saves his pee so he can pee on every vertical object we pass on his walks.  He gets all messed up if I go around an extra block.  He can also poop at will.  I have never known a dog so full of crap.

My chihuahuas are paper trained. I put clean papers down after every use. They figure the clean papers need a little poop, I spend my whole day changing papers :) Thankfully it has been nice enough here to let them go outside. Love the dogs, dog poop clean up not so much :banana:

My chihuahuas are paper trained. I put clean papers down after every use. They figure the clean papers need a little poop, I spend my whole day changing papers :argh: Thankfully it has been nice enough here to let them go outside. Love the dogs, dog poop clean up not so much :facepalm:

My chihuahuas are the same. Absolutely will not go outside if it's cold or rainy. One just cannot stand the site of a clean paper so I spend lots of my day changing papers too. My dogs are part of the family and I do love them. Now the cat and hairballs...that's another story!

My chihuahuas are paper trained. I put clean papers down after every use. They figure the clean papers need a little poop, I spend my whole day changing papers :argh: Thankfully it has been nice enough here to let them go outside. Love the dogs, dog poop clean up not so much :facepalm:

My chihuahuas are the same. Absolutely will not go outside if it's cold or rainy. One just cannot stand the site of a clean paper so I spend lots of my day changing papers too. My dogs are part of the family and I do love them. Now the cat and hairballs...that's another story!

We just came in from outside, all five of them made a beeline for the papers :facepalm:

Can you take him out on a lead, and as soon as he goes, bring him right back in? That way, he's not all, "Wow, look at this! A flower! Ooh, check this smell out!" and forgetting what he's supposed to be doing.

And definitely keep an eye on him every second until he's trained -- I was always leaping up, saying, "Where's the dog?!?" and chasing after our current dog as soon as she left the room to make sure she wasn't going.

I'd also think about putting him on a regular schedule -- taking him out every hour, on the hour (I know -- so easy when you're raising kids and have other stuff going on, right?!) so you don't miss any chances. He'll pick up on it with some patience!

I've only ever had bigger dogs; I'll bet those little guys have some pretty tiny bladders!

Good luck!

Can you take him out on a lead, and as soon as he goes, bring him right back in? That way, he's not all, "Wow, look at this! A flower! Ooh, check this smell out!" and forgetting what he's supposed to be doing.

And definitely keep an eye on him every second until he's trained -- I was always leaping up, saying, "Where's the dog?!?" and chasing after our current dog as soon as she left the room to make sure she wasn't going.

I'd also think about putting him on a regular schedule -- taking him out every hour, on the hour (I know -- so easy when you're raising kids and have other stuff going on, right?!) so you don't miss any chances. He'll pick up on it with some patience!

I've only ever had bigger dogs; I'll bet those little guys have some pretty tiny bladders!

Good luck!

they must be minuscule. Mine go all the time. They were pretty easy to paper train though :argh:

I take mine out every 2 hours, they tinkle, they bark at "Hot Jack" next  door...they fight over "Hot Jack" and then they come in and poop on the throw rug. It doesn't seem to matter how long we stay outside ( and we have a doggy door) they still come inside and finish unfinished business. They are now seven years old, so the odds are they're not going to change.

Our dog is bell trained - have you considered trying that?

Honestly...he thinks he's too silly to learn that! Lol

I take mine out every 2 hours, they tinkle, they bark at "Hot Jack" next  door...they fight over "Hot Jack" and then they come in and poop on the throw rug. It doesn't seem to matter how long we stay outside ( and we have a doggy door) they still come inside and finish unfinished business. They are now seven years old, so the odds are they're not going to change.

Today he actually has done pretty good! No accidents yet! We were told they are hard to train and now I understand!