Playing Dealer games- update truck purchased!

So the time has come, its time for the new truck!

what I am going to buy is a 2015/2016 F150 Crew Cab 2wd with the 2.7 L v6 turbo

I have started to play the dealer games and the truck sticker at $38,000

some have internet price as low as 33,000 before tax tag and title

Exhibit A:
http://www.sgallowayford.com/new/Ford/2015-Ford-F-150-f0ea3b6f0a0e0a173be2a2200010dfa3.htm?searchDepth=7:121

is it unreasonable to assume I may be able to get a 2015 for $30,000?

I am trading i my Xterra, as well Nissan killed it this year its not going to be made and i don't want to see the value drop too much

and ill be paying cash/ check for the difference
I have one of those car offers that you get where they buy your car even if you don't buy theirs and its valid for 72 hours, and the offer on my 2007 Nissan Xterra S 4x4 with 108,000 miles on it is $6,250
not bad as I paid $22,000 for it new in 2007

i have looked at the used market, and i can get a 2015 used with 14,000 miles on it for $29,000 but it was a rental car so i want to stay away from it, and I want the new aluminum truck so that means 2014 or older are out

again thanks for your wealth of knowledge.... ready GO!

You should be able to get quite a bit more for the Xterra on a private sale if you want to mess with it.

I went to one of those lots to get a price on my 2002 Ram 1500 with a 6 cylinder 160,000 miles  this past summer.

They offered me either $2200 or $2500, I can't remember.

I sold it privately the second day I posted in in Craigslist for $3200.

Your Xterra I'm sure has a lot more features than my bare-bones Ram did.

Your Xterra I'm sure has a lot more features than my bare-bones Ram did.

I added an intake, did the exhaust, upgraded the shocks to bilsten 5100's, put firestone airbags, replaced the stereo with one that connects to the iphone/ ipod, all new speakers

it looks stock unless you know where/ what to look for

its a 4x4 and they just are not as popular down here as they are up north.

I honestly am expecting 6500-7500 

I added an intake, did the exhaust, upgraded the shocks to bilsten 5100's, put firestone airbags, replaced the stereo with one that connects to the iphone/ ipod, all new speakers

it looks stock unless you know where/ what to look for

its a 4x4 and they just are not as popular down here as they are up north.

I honestly am expecting 6500-7500 

Sounds like a bargain at that price.

You are going to pay more for a 2016 than a 2015. The real deals in my area are mostly for select 2015's with the 2.7L Ecoboost and 302A equipment package on dealer lots. Without a trade-in they seem to be going for $6K - $7K under MSRP. That covers Ford incentives for buyer/dealer and dealer discount. Based on  what I've seen on the lots in a 50 mile radius from me (10 or so dealers) you will not be able to get a crew cab in the XLT or higher trim for $30K. I would guess you are talking closer $34K - $36K before tax, etc. on reasonably equipped XLT.  Again this is all without trade in which I don't work from as it is too variable with how it affects the final price in regards to dealer discount and trade-in appraisal.  A very common MSRP range I've seen on dealer lots for the F-150 crew was $41K - $42K. This was typically a XLT 2.7L Ecoboost, 301A pkg, trailer tow pkg, chrome appearance pkg and 40/console/40 front seats. You still needed to add a brake controller and bed liner. The 3.73 rear end adds another $570 to the MSRP. 

I use our credit union buying service when looking for new cars. The only thing they charge is a $98 processing fee if you purchase which is dirt cheap when compared to my local dealer fees of $500 - $600. I still go out and negotiate my own deal and have been 50/50 so far where I was able to get a better out the door price (i.e. price including all other fees and taxes) from the buying service and the other way around from the dealer. If you have access to something similar it is a good way to get a realistic idea of what vehicles are going for and where to start negotiating. 

Good luck on your search. We like the F-150 so far but due to things not going like we had hoped we weren't able to get out camp with it yet. 

You are going to pay more for a 2016 than a 2015. The real deals in my area are mostly for select 2015's with the 2.7L Ecoboost and 302A equipment package on dealer lots. Without a trade-in they seem to be going for $6K - $7K under MSRP. That covers Ford incentives for buyer/dealer and dealer discount. Based on  what I've seen on the lots in a 50 mile radius from me (10 or so dealers) you will not be able to get a crew cab in the XLT or higher trim for $30K. I would guess you are talking closer $34K - $36K before tax, etc. on reasonably equipped XLT.  Again this is all without trade in which I don't work from as it is too variable with how it affects the final price in regards to dealer discount and trade-in appraisal.  A very common MSRP range I've seen on dealer lots for the F-150 crew was $41K - $42K. This was typically a XLT 2.7L Ecoboost, 301A pkg, trailer tow pkg, chrome appearance pkg and 40/console/40 front seats. You still needed to add a brake controller and bed liner. The 3.73 rear end adds another $570 to the MSRP. 

I use our credit union buying service when looking for new cars. The only thing they charge is a $98 processing fee if you purchase which is dirt cheap when compared to my local dealer fees of $500 - $600. I still go out and negotiate my own deal and have been 50/50 so far where I was able to get a better out the door price (i.e. price including all other fees and taxes) from the buying service and the other way around from the dealer. If you have access to something similar it is a good way to get a realistic idea of what vehicles are going for and where to start negotiating. 

Good luck on your search. We like the F-150 so far but due to things not going like we had hoped we weren't able to get out camp with it yet. 

you hit the nail on the head!  then again did you just get one?!

I looked and and drove a 15 super crew rwd 2.7 TT with the 302 A and trailer tow package

It stickered around $42,500

the rebates are currently $5050

and they are offering $5750 for my trade

The kicker for me is a family friend owns a dealership about 1200 miles away, so a simple call to him got me the numbers i needed to know with out asking the dealer( the invoice)

So far that has worked well for me as the deal as it sits( cause i am thinking about it) is my Xterra and a check for $30,000( includes tax tag title and dealer fees)

before tax tag and title and with my trade the $42,000 truck is $27 and change so really $32,750 or $10K off MSRP

I may wait till after the current rebate expires on 1/4 to see what new incentive will be on the 15's

They had  a larger incentive in November and reduced it $3-5 grand in December so if i play the cards right I anticipate getting at least another $3,000 off

The Dealer has 50 2015 2.7 super crews in stock so they are not going to be all sold this week, the one i test drove has been on the lot for 6+ months as its just a massive dealer and cars get lost in the mix

absolute worst case, i go to Illinois to the dealer that is a family friend and do a deal with him 

Do you get any incentives from an employer discount? Where I work, we get discounts at the big 3. Our Chrysler discount is the best at 1% under factory invoice plus all current factory incentives at the time of purchase. Saved me 15k on my 2500 with the Cummins. Just something to look into if you have that option.

Otherwise, now that the 2016 F150's are our and we are in 2016, any remaining 2015 they will probably start pushing deals on. I agree, wait until after the 4th and see what happens. If that have 50 on the lot, you still have time to find one there with the right discount.

Another thing to consider, not knowing what you are pulling, but if you are considering upgrading your trailer during the life of owning your new truck, you may want to look at the 3/4ton. That bit me in the rear and is now biting my sister in the rear. I upgraded this past summer and they have been looking for a few months now. Both of us had our half tons less than 2 years when we realized we needed the stability of the 3/4ton. We were at our capacities.

good thoughts RTGUY
I work for a medical company and know of no employee discounts for vehicles.

working with the family friend I am basically getting d plan pricing on the trucks that i am looking at in addition to the rebates

D plan is A/Z plan +$100 and then rebates can be applied

for example, MSRP is $39,205, D-plan is $34,776 and then there are $5050 in rebates so $29,725 then -5750 for trade and add back in tax tag and title and were at $26,275 not too bad for an almost $40,000 truck
The reason why my current deal is higher is because I saw the truck with the 302A option group vs 301, and that larger screen got me!

the big local dealer has 48 in stock as of this morning, the have a sister dealer a few miles down the road that has 8 in stock, and then there are others not related to this dealership that I am playing dealer games with IE "we'll beat any price by $1,000 or its free"  and those 2 have 10 trucks between them that fit the bill for me.

I just purchased my Pop up 6 months ago, no plans in the immediate future to upgrade, but the truck I am looking at can tow 2,500+ (7,600 lbs- 8,500 depending on the package) what my current vehicle can tow, and my current vehicle towing a 3,200 lb trailer is a breeze, I am looking for room for bikes and kayaks and coolers and such not just when camping but day trips

• 2 weeks later...

so yea this happened today
12540623_10101289592897625_1962520523537

2015 f150 Super Crew

2.7 L ecoboost

302A option pacage

only thing that i wanted it to have was the trailer tow package, however the only thing this is missing from that are 3 things, a trans cooler( i can add if needed) 3.73 gears, is has 3.31 I think
and finally a stronger string stabilizer bar

and if it had those it would go from a max tow of 7600lbs to 8100 so not much lost in my book seeing that my pup is 3300 lb max 

Congrats. Do you miss the xtera?

What Xterra?

The main reason I got t rid of it, is Nissan killed the Xterra this year, no more, so I was worried about value as I knew parts would be made for 7 years...

The only thing I miss on ththe Xterra is parking it... The f150 is much larger, much much larger

Pretty truck!

Doesn't the Ford tow package also come with the brake controller in the dash? Did you get that?

no thats another option for $175 and I already had a P3 

so the option package that mine has is 302A

and that includes the hitch installed at the factory

when that is done it also includes

The Class IV Trailer Hitch Includes:

• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness

• Class IV trailer hitch receiver 

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector

The $695 Trailer tow Package includes:

4-pin/7-pin wiring harness

• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler

• Class IV trailer hitch receiver

• Engine oil cooler (3.5L V6 Ti-VCT only)

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector

• Upgraded front stabilizer bar

​So the differences are

Auxiliary transmission oil cooler and Upgraded front stabilizer bar, I have the 2.7 not the 3.5 so no engine oil cooler

the website on build and price says its needed for over 5000 lbs of towing, however per their towing guide the truck as its configured will tow 7,300- 7,600 Lbs

and the towing package/ payload package increase it to 8,100- 8,300

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/15RV&TT_Ford_F150_r1_Jan12.pdf

the Info screen in the dash will let me monitor trans temp, when i tow next month 2/5 to the fort ill leave it on that, if the temps climb ill add a trans cooler, but i don't think that will be an issue.

The only thing I miss on ththe Xterra is parking it... The f150 is much larger, much much larger

Congrats on the new truck. I approve of the color by the way. ;)

I hear you on the parking. After driving the Explorer and B3000 for years the F-150's extra width and length is taking some time to get used to. It sure does ride great though. We also ended up with the 302A options package. It has a lot more features than I really care about and I know for you folks in Florida it doesn't matter but I've found the heated seats are something I could really get used to.  

Pretty truck!

Doesn't the Ford tow package also come with the brake controller in the dash? Did you get that?

The integrated controller is only included in the max tow package. Otherwise it is a $275 MSRP option. What I have done is buy the Ford factory controller off the internet and install in myself. The dealer is going to charge me an hour's labor to flash the computer so for me the saving is about $90 over buying the controller installed. If you didn't want to install the controller and have the dealer do both the install and flash you would save roughly $15-$20.

The integrated controller is only included in the max tow package. Otherwise it is a $275 MSRP option. What I have done is buy the Ford factory controller off the internet and install in myself. The dealer is going to charge me an hour's labor to flash the computer so for me the saving is about $90 over buying the controller installed. If you didn't want to install the controller and have the dealer do both the install and flash you would save roughly $15-$20.

Thanks, I had this color on my mind before i saw yours, and with it being a 2015 in 2016 picking were getting slim.  I knew i didnt want red, black, silver or white so that left 3 options for colors and of those remaining the dealer had 2 Blue Jeans and Magnetic

my old SUV was blue and it was time for a change so easy decision

speaking about the brake controller, reflash? I assumed it would be plug and play

I hear you on the parking. After driving the Explorer and B3000 for years the F-150's extra width and length is taking some time to get used to. It sure does ride great though. We also ended up with the 302A options package. It has a lot more features than I really care about and I know for you folks in Florida it doesn't matter but I've found the heated seats are something I could really get used to.  

Hey now, we're suffering down here also in this frigid weather.

It was in the low 40's this morning... of course it's already in the mid 50's by 9:30, with a high of low 60's.

Nope not already flashed. I don't know why other than Ford doesn't want an aftermarket controller to be able to be plug and play taking away their sales of integrated controllers.

We were in the same spot on color. I'm not very picky as long as it's not red, yellow or other bright color. Looking around Magnetic seemed to be the color of choice for dealers. It's OK and my wife finally got some satisfaction. When we were much younger and newly married she had this idea that matching sweaters would be so romantic and cute. I managed to avoid that but here we are years later with color coordinated cars, her's is the same color, which she lets me know each time we pull into the driveway.

Nope not already flashed. I don't know why other than Ford doesn't want an aftermarket controller to be able to be plug and play taking away their sales of integrated controllers.

well then, I was going to sell the Tekonsha P3 but after reading that, ill just install it in the same spot and make it work and save me $200 or 100 if you count the sale of the older controller 

We were in the same spot on color. I'm not very picky as long as it's not red, yellow or other bright color. Looking around Magnetic seemed to be the color of choice for dealers. It's OK and my wife finally got some satisfaction. When we were much younger and newly married she had this idea that matching sweaters would be so romantic and cute. I managed to avoid that but here we are years later with color coordinated cars, her's is the same color, which she lets me know each time we pull into the driveway.

Now you need to get his and hers decorative license plates!

well then, I was going to sell the Tekonsha P3 but after reading that, ill just install it in the same spot and make it work and save me $200 or 100 if you count the sale of the older controller 

You should be able to buy an adapter cable that will let it plug into the existing brake controller cable or you can solder in the pig-tail that came with the truck.

You should be able to buy an adapter cable that will let it plug into the existing brake controller cable or you can solder in the pig-tail that came with the truck.

yea Ill just drop it off at my dad's hes the electronic/ mechanical guy

I have no clue how to solder but it may be a good time for a lesson

yea Ill just drop it off at my dad's hes the electronic/ mechanical guy

I have no clue how to solder but it may be a good time for a lesson

Personally I would look into the adapter cable first. They run $15-$20 and are a easier to use than trying to solder wires underneath the dash. It also lets you preserve the factory connector in the event you sell the truck down the road.