Playing Dealer games- update truck purchased!

Personally I would look into the adapter cable first. They run $15-$20 and are a easier to use than trying to solder wires underneath the dash. It also lets you preserve the factory connector in the event you sell the truck down the road.

I did that, i had an amazon credit so it was $8 shipped

after driving it for 2 days i gotta say i really like it, I put the kids and wife in it last night and we went to outback steakhouse got to practice parking it more as its much longer and wider than my old TV

the backup camera and the radar stuff really is trick

I did see my xterra on the lot, but they have not put a price on it yet,  its sitting next to a BMW 328i that is the same year 2007, with 2,000 less miles on it and they have the BMW at $8500 and that seems low to me for a BMW

we shall see where they price it at as they gave me $6,000 for trade on it

they have it listed wrong as well, wonder if i should tell them, its not an X its an S and that does make a difference

http://www.gallowaydirect.com/Used-2007-Nissan-Xterra-X-Fort-Myers-FL/vd/32675762

I was just looking/ researching and found the part numbers for the Trans cooler, just for giggle and grins i popped the hood and welp, the truck already has the cooler installed with the brackets and holders and lines
so now I am researching if it has the upgraded sway bar, if so I got the towing package on this truck and the window sticker does not reflect it

may need to go get the build sheet from the dealer as i dont want to pay $17 for it online

I was just looking/ researching and found the part numbers for the Trans cooler, just for giggle and grins i popped the hood and welp, the truck already has the cooler installed with the brackets and holders and lines

so now I am researching if it has the upgraded sway bar, if so I got the towing package on this truck and the window sticker does not reflect it

may need to go get the build sheet from the dealer as i dont want to pay $17 for it online

Most trucks and some cars have a transmission cooler as standard.

Possibly the towing package would add another one, or replace the standard one with an oversized one?

Or you lucked out and got an even better deal...

Most trucks and some cars have a transmission cooler as standard.

Possibly the towing package would add another one, or replace the standard one with an oversized one?

Or you lucked out and got an even better deal...

there is only 1 part number for a transmission cooler per ford parts website

now more important question is users guide( yes I am reading it) says to not tow a trailer for the first 1,000 miles

yet later on in the same section it says

When Towing a Trailer
  • Do not drive faster than 70 mph (113 km/h) during the first 500 miles (800 kilometers)

I might be able to drive 500 miles before our next trip in February, but then again might not.... I am a little concerned

there is only 1 part number for a transmission cooler per ford parts website

now more important question is users guide( yes I am reading it) says to not tow a trailer for the first 1,000 miles

yet later on in the same section it says

When Towing a Trailer
  • Do not drive faster than 70 mph (113 km/h) during the first 500 miles (800 kilometers)

I might be able to drive 500 miles before our next trip in February, but then again might not.... I am a little concerned

I haven't seen a breakin period on a vehicle since our 1974 Spitfire.

That manual told us to keep it below 55 for the first 500 miles and to vary the speed/rpms.

Looks like 2 different sets of recommendations, the 500 is for general use, then the 1000 is to get everything settled in before hauling around a heavy load.

Looks like 2 different sets of recommendations, the 500 is for general use, then the 1000 is to get everything settled in before hauling around a heavy load.

good thing the pup is not a heavy load, 3300lbs  max and i problibly wont even know its there

I got the extended warranty we shall see what happens

good thing the pup is not a heavy load, 3300lbs  max and i problibly wont even know its there

I got the extended warranty we shall see what happens

We have an ancient small Coleman, manual weight says around 900 pounds empty.

I was towing it with my 6 cylinder 02 Ram and barely noticed it.

Now with the 06 8 cylinder Ram, it's like it's not even there.

As long as you don't push it you should be fine, and unless your trip to the Fort includes a detour to the Smokey Mountains you wont be straining the tranny, engine or brakes with our level roads.

I would keep it around 60 until you get used to it, and get past the 1000 mile mark.

I find that if I keep the speed between 58/60, I get around 22-23 mpg between Tampa and the Fort once I hit the interstates.

Without the PUP, I can get close to 25 mpg.

And that is a nice color.

So did you get those front vanity plates ordered yet, or are you getting Mickey and Minnie decals for his and her vehicles instead?

On my ford I actually did get the thousand miles on it before I towed anything. But it wouldn't have stopped me if I had a trip planned. And the reason why, no company puts a thousand miles on it before they tow the truck goes straight to work.

Personally I would look into the adapter cable first. They run $15-$20 and are a easier to use than trying to solder wires underneath the dash. It also lets you preserve the factory connector in the event you sell the truck down the road.

so i got the cable, and well I just ordered the ford brake controller instead, 

they changed the size of the opening, and my p3 wont fit in the dash as i have seen others do, I think the '13 or '14 has a straight  pocket that it could slide into, however the '15 as a funky angle and it just wont fit.

I am not about to screw an after market brake controller to the dash like i did in the xterra.

I was able to find it new, from a dealer that has a parts store Tasca parts https://www.tascaparts.com/ it was $91 including shipping

if you or someone you know needs a P3 that was barely used here ya go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262239259503?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648

Swimmarz,

Not sure on the ford but dont be surprised if you have to have a dealer flash the truck to recognize the brake controller completely. Had that happen with my 13 RAM using the factory brake controller. Not sure if ford adopted the same or similar system. On the RAM it would work but you couldn't see where things were set and that it was working without the flash.

Congrats on the new truck. Although I want to know if it is a coincidence that there is a cop in the background of your picture? Were you racing home in excitement to tell us about your truck and they followed you there for the ticket? :D

dealer flash the truck to recognize the brake controller completely

When did cars/trucks drift away from good old fashioned power to switches, then a relay (maybe), then the device IE windshield wipers.

I had a wiper problem on my 02 Dodge.  Troubleshooting on line it said it may be in the Command Module. (it was the wiper motor)

Have a co worker, she has some sort of GM SUV, and it took them 4 days to repair her lift gate.... they had to flash the system.  She had no way of opening it, no key, no inside/outside latch, just the remote and a dashboard button.

Guess they no longer want people to do their own repairs.

Swimmarz,

Not sure on the ford but dont be surprised if you have to have a dealer flash the truck to recognize the brake controller completely. Had that happen with my 13 RAM using the factory brake controller. Not sure if ford adopted the same or similar system. On the RAM it would work but you couldn't see where things were set and that it was working without the flash.

Congrats on the new truck. Although I want to know if it is a coincidence that there is a cop in the background of your picture? Were you racing home in excitement to tell us about your truck and they followed you there for the ticket? :D

Ha!  no the Cop is the neighbor/ friend

hes Actually SWAT and works the night shift, so I know someone is always looking out for me, he actually comes to the house 2-3 times a night when working to use the RR or grab a coffee/ energy drink as its in his assigned territory.

he too is in to BBQ smokers and has a 200 Gallon propane tank converted to a smoker, you should see us at any holiday were out smoking meats 6+ hours making the whole neighborhood hate us

as for the dealer flash, i started calling around, the dealer i purchased it from is clueless as to what i am talking about, and the other wants to charge 1 hour of labor for a 10 min job($99) ugh.... why cant i just do it via settings on the dash cluster?!?!?!?

Now I want to get my smoker out. Nothing like what you describe but a smoked brisket sure sounds good right now.

Yeah the flash os a pain in the rear. I saw hook up the controller and see if it works first. If it doesn't then inquire at the dealer. I am not an instructions reading type person but my instructions did say on the first page that a dealer reflash was required along with the code. Maybe your install instructions will have the answer. I agree it is annoying. But I am like you, not drilling joles in my brand new truck. For me, the flash was done when I took it in for a recall (which was to flash the computer for another issue). They didn't charge me for mine. My brother in law paid $50 for his flash and it was charged at a half hour rate.

my wife has a hard time understanding how one can buy a new expensive truck, and then continue to buy stuff for it....
I just ordered the Tonneau Cover and was considering doing a spray in bed-liner, the liner is on hold as i got the Tonneau
apparently I have to compromise, i got a new truck and some new accessories and she gets a new rug for the living room

I went with the BAK roll-x, I know its on close out and they re-designed it( now called X-2) but online i found plenty of good and bad reviews, the bad ones were mainly from cold climates and complaints in winter and i live in FL so their issues should not translate

http://bakindustries.com/p-8241-roll-x-hard-rolling-tonneau-covers-overview.html

Originally it was a $1000+ cover, since they came out with the X2 they dropped the price to $899, and now they are no longer making it so many sites are selling it for $599

I got mine from the factory via eBay for $450 shipped

Ill post some pics once its installed

my wife has a hard time understanding how one can buy a new expensive truck, and then continue to buy stuff for it....

I just ordered the Tonneau Cover and was considering doing a spray in bed-liner, the liner is on hold as i got the Tonneau

apparently I have to compromise, i got a new truck and some new accessories and she gets a new rug for the living room

I went with the BAK roll-x, I know its on close out and they re-designed it( now called X-2) but online i found plenty of good and bad reviews, the bad ones were mainly from cold climates and complaints in winter and i live in FL so their issues should not translate

http://bakindustries.com/p-8241-roll-x-hard-rolling-tonneau-covers-overview.html

Originally it was a $1000+ cover, since they came out with the X2 they dropped the price to $899, and now they are no longer making it so many sites are selling it for $599

Looks neat and that's a great discount!

My wife was with me when we were doing all of the looking so she understands the need to get additional work done. 

I'm getting to the point I need to schedule an appointment with Line-X folks to get a bed liner sprayed in. I've only ever had inserts before so this will be my first time with a spray on so it will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next 10-15 years.

My wife was with me when we were doing all of the looking so she understands the need to get additional work done. 

I'm getting to the point I need to schedule an appointment with Line-X folks to get a bed liner sprayed in. I've only ever had inserts before so this will be my first time with a spray on so it will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next 10-15 years.

do you have an air compressor?

if so Id do Raptor liner, its DIY and gets the same result at 1/4 the price

set the pressure at 40-60 psi and mask the truck off, use the painters tape and those clear sheets/ drop cloths to cover the cab/ bed sides and such, scuff and spray, reapply in 1 -2 hours and your good to go

Ill do mine in a month or so when its not so wet and cold here as it cures better in the heat

do you have an air compressor?

if so Id do Raptor liner, its DIY and gets the same result at 1/4 the price

set the pressure at 40-60 psi and mask the truck off, use the painters tape and those clear sheets/ drop cloths to cover the cab/ bed sides and such, scuff and spray, reapply in 1 -2 hours and your good to go

Ill do mine in a month or so when its not so wet and cold here as it cures better in the heat

I have a compressor but this is one area I'd rather pay to have the work done.

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2016 at 8:06 PM, swimmarz said:

I know this is an old thread but would like to know how's the Bak Roll X now? Been looking for a good tonneau cover but can't decide which one last longer or with good warranty just in case. A buddy here had to return the MX2 due to damaged parts maybe when being shipped, he seemed happy with tougher F1.

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 1:07 AM, mileshigh said:

I know this is an old thread but would like to know how's the Bak Roll X now? Been looking for a good tonneau cover but can't decide which one last longer or with good warranty just in case. A buddy here had to return the MX2 due to damaged parts maybe when being shipped, he seemed happy with tougher F1.

Its working as designed, even when installed on my new truck...( wait what?!?!?!)  the only issue i have is the glue holding the felt to the underside has started to come loose in a few places, they have a 8 inch wide felt strip on the underside of the cover near the left and right edges, it is so you dont burn your hand or pinch yourself... nothing a little glue and roller tool cant fix in 10 min.

15 minutes ago, swimmarz said:

Its working as designed, even when installed on my new truck...( wait what?!?!?!)  the only issue i have is the glue holding the felt to the underside has started to come loose in a few places, they have a 8 inch wide felt strip on the underside of the cover near the left and right edges, it is so you dont burn your hand or pinch yourself... nothing a little glue and roller tool cant fix in 10 min.

Yep... our felt is a mess.  Constantly having to put it back into place but, other than that, ours works well.