Time to start planning trip to New England

We are starting to plan this years spring trip up to the Boston area. We will be leaving on a Saturday and returning the following week's Sunday sometime in mid to late May. My plan is to overnight roughly half way to keep the drive as relaxing as possible. I've driven I-95 up and back to Philadelphia before and what should be a 6-7 hour drive took 10 hours with the traffic you run into from the DC area north. I've been looking at alternatives like I-81/I-84/I-87/I-90 (or what ever it is called in MA) but this adds 200-300 miles onto the trip. So folks that drive the route more often than I:

What is the typical drive time from the Boston, Rhode Island or Connecticut area to mid-North Carolina on I-95?

Mapquest wants to take me on I-295 in New Jersey is that better than I-95 straight through?

Any recommendations about getting around the NYC area?

Are there alternate routes that would not add a bunch of extra miles but miss some of the heavier traffic?

My guess is we will want to overnight somewhere around the I-95/I-295/I-495 split in Delaware. We don't use on board water or waste systems on the road so we need a campground with shower facilities and electric so the wife can have her morning coffee. Any campground suggestions?

Lastly any recommendations for campgrounds in Massachusetts that are convenient for getting into Boston and the Concord/Lexington areas along with the Salem/Gloucester/Marble Head areas? If time allows we might try to get a day trip in up the Maine coast or into New Hampshire so a campground more to the north might be better than south. 

Thanks

We will typically take the Tappan Zee Bridge up and around NYC to avoid the city. We take the Garden State but I cant remember if you can tow on that. You may have to take I287 up and around to the Tap. Then you can take I684 north to I 84 to get into New England and CT. We have a campground in town here that seems pretty nice. We didnt get to try it yet but we have gone over to look at it. I dont know any camping options in the Mass area to be honest so I will leave that to others. 

We will typically take the Tappan Zee Bridge up and around NYC to avoid the city. We take the Garden State but I cant remember if you can tow on that.

Yep you can tow through with a regular vehicle/camper or a MH. There are commercial restrictions on some parts.  This is our go-to route to/from NH to bypass 95 through NYC.

If your setup is really high, you'll want to check the height restrictions. We watch the far left/right lanes of the overpasses in the southern part.  They're arched and the shoulder/breakdown lane heights are somewhat low.  We can still clear them no problem, but DH feels better if we move to the center lane. There are a few tolls - all accept EZ Pass and one is a high speed.

Our route coming North through MA to NH is...

NJ Turnpike to Garden State to 287 to 91 (CT) to 84 to 90 (MA - aka MA Tpke)

We rarely hit any traffic unless there's some random construction going on, and the roads are good - vs 95 through NYC which is horrendous in terms of both traffic and rough roads.

The only campground I've stayed at in that part of the world is Normandy Farms in Foxboro MA. It is a little under an hour south of Boston. It's pricey, but lots of amenities, including multiple pools.

Our route coming North through MA to NH is...

NJ Turnpike to Garden State to 287 to 95 to 91 (CT) to 84 to 90 (MA - aka MA Tpke)

You missed a leg. 287 doesnt connect to 91. you would need to take it down to 95 and then up 91. Also some of the worst traffic in CT on that stretch of 95 if you hit it at the wrong time of day. 

You missed a leg. 287 doesnt connect to 91. you would need to take it down to 95 and then up 91. Also some of the worst traffic in CT on that stretch of 95 if you hit it at the wrong time of day. 

Oops, you're right - sorry!   Funny thing is I ask that question every time we go.

We've lucked out with traffic on that stretch, but we're usually there at night or on a Saturday afternoon.

Oops, you're right - sorry!   Funny thing is I ask that question every time we go.

We've lucked out with traffic on that stretch, but we're usually there at night or on a Saturday afternoon.

Those are pretty much the only times you can get through there easily. Its usually backed up from 7-10 in the morning and 3-7 in the evening. 

For camping in De. there is not very much to offer, off of 301 in Bear De. there is Lums Pond State park that right now is upgrading all there sites to full hook ups. They do have a bath house, not sure how it is.

When we travel north depending on what day of the week I actually take 95 thru Philadelphia into NJ then take 31 to route 206( traffic lights) then onto 287 across the Tappen Zee then you do as Jason said 684 to 84, but I ALWAYS seem to hit traffic on 84.

When are you planning this trip?

As Rennie said, there isnt much at that spot in Delaware, but off of I-295 in NJ is http://timberlanecampground.com/

It is 25 miles north of the I-95/I-295/I-495 split. You can take I-295 North and pick up the NJTP (I-95) at a couple places.

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks for all of the responses.

When are you planning this trip?

We are looking at mid to late May. Our travel will be on Saturdays and Sundays. The distance for us will be somewhere around 750 miles. My biggest traffic concern is Sunday afternoon/evening near large cities. Traffic tends to be bad due to everyone going home after a weekend away. As we go to the DC area quite frequently I know what to expect when we drive there but I haven't driven in the NYC vicinity for at least 20 years, let alone with a trailer, and have no idea what to expect.

As Rennie said, there isnt much at that spot in Delaware, but off of I-295 in NJ is http://timberlanecampground.com/

It is 25 miles north of the I-95/I-295/I-495 split. You can take I-295 North and pick up the NJTP (I-95) at a couple places.

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks for the link. There is nothing special about the I-95/I-295/I-495 split I just want to stop somewhere around half way or a little further the first night.

My biggest traffic concern is Sunday afternoon/evening near large cities. Traffic tends to be bad due to everyone going home after a weekend away.

I would avoid the MA Tpke (I90) at all costs on a Sunday - especially the stretch from 84 east.  I've got family out in western MA and we travel this stretch often.  It's always terrible on a Sunday.  It gets a little better if you're going through later at night, like after 9pm.

When we're headed home from the Fort we're usually coming up the stretch from VA north on a Saturday.  That generally puts us on the NJ Tpk mid-afternoon and on 84 in CT early evening-ish, on the MA Tpk around 8-9 or so.  Aside from the couple of times we've hit a stretch of construction, we've never hit any traffic snags.

Not sure if Lums Pond will be reopened by the time of your trip but I will keep you posted. Norm also had a good spot to stop and just off 295 a short way

Thanks for the park name. I just looked it up and they say "This park will be closed from 11/2/2015 to 6/15/2016 for electrical updates." Although I see them taking reservations for starting May 16th. I might give them a call as it looks like a good spot for on the way back.

Thanks for the park name. I just looked it up and they say "This park will be closed from 11/2/2015 to 6/15/2016 for electrical updates." Although I see them taking reservations for starting May 16th. I might give them a call as it looks like a good spot for on the way back.

Ok keep me posted as we live less then 15 minutes from there. How big is your camper? There is always our driveway!!!!!!!  I fit our 39' 5th wheel in it but it is not easy, I just make it look easy :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

We usually go 95 through NYC, then once in CT go 91/84/90/495 to NH border. I've tried all the other routes mentioned and always have found it easier just going across the GW Bridge. Of course I always hit it at night or in the morning.

There aren't many places to stop north of Delaware. The Timerlane one listed above is convenient. We have also stayed at Four Seasons Camground in NJ. If you want to stop north of there good luck as pickings are slim.

We usually go 95 through NYC, then once in CT go 91/84/90/495 to NH border. I've tried all the other routes mentioned and always have found it easier just going across the GW Bridge.

We used to do that too but I swore it off after the last time, when we got stuck in construction traffic for almost 2 hours on the GWB ...at midnight on a Wednesday.  ugh

We used to do that too but I swore it off after the last time, when we got stuck in construction traffic for almost 2 hours on the GWB ...at midnight on a Wednesday.  ugh

Same here, Been stuck trying to use the GWB several times, the last time was 5 HOURS, then they wanted to charge me as a Commercial vehicle rate!  I told them that when traffic backs up like that they should open the tolls and wave people through..... Of course they looked at me like I had 3 heads.  That just shows that they are more about money than public safety..... but that's a rant for another post  LOL!

Anyway, since then we always use slightly longer but much nicer route:  95 to 295 around Providence to 95 thru CT, 287 to the Tappen Zee and around to 78 WB to PA to 81 SB into VA then 66 EB to 17 SB to 95 SB in Fredericksburg.

If there were no traffic either way it would add a little less than 2 hours to the trip, but there is always traffic on 95! 

You avoid all of the big cities, it's a much more relaxed route and sometimes there are as many RV's as there are trucks. And yes the trucks like that route and there are more hills but not too bad unless you stay on 81 further south.

Oh, and apart from one toll as you get on 78 WB and the one on the Tappen Zee going EB I think, there are NO OTHER TOLLS.....   :lol:

Did I mention that I hate Tolls?      :rolleyes:

Did I mention that I hate Tolls?      :rolleyes:

You aren't the only one.

It is starting to look like the trip might be getting deferred till fall. My oldest daughter, Miss Procrastination, is starting to say she and her fiance are planning to set their wedding date in May. Of course there still isn't anything firm. Argh.

You aren't the only one.

It is starting to look like the trip might be getting deferred till fall. My oldest daughter, Miss Procrastination, is starting to say she and her fiance are planning to set their wedding date in May. Of course there still isn't anything firm. Argh.

Well on the plus side, New England is beautiful in the fall!  :)