We we have a big ol' U-shaped dinette in our TT.  It looks like this...

4819283427_6168c3a109_b.jpg

Here's the thing... we hardly ever use it.  We virtually never eat inside the camper and the only thing we've really used it for is a spare bed, but even that's been rare.

It has tons of storage underneath but it's an enormous PITA to get into it as you have to pull off the cushions, lift the plywood, navigate around the support bars... so we don't really use it as storage either.

Looking ahead to a 4+ week camping stay in it next Christmas, I'm thinking it's time to plan for some remodeling over the summer.  We'd love to put a longer couch in, but I don't know if that will be in the budget, so the couch may need to stay.

My only thoughts so far are a little fold down table that would sit a couple of people that could also be used as a desk, just in case we actually do need a table sometime.  I'd love some more easily accessible storage as well, primarily for food/pantry items, since we'll be doing some cooking this trip.

I'm not worried about losing the extra bed as the couch flips open if we really need it.

Other than that, I'm wide open for ideas.  Has anyone done or pondered a similar type of remodel?  Or just any ideas in general?  Bonus points for photos! :)

The possibilities are fairly endless. You'll end up with a few holes in the wall and floor from where things where. But the floor will fade away into the carpet.

I think I'd consider pulling it and then putting in some Ikea cabinets to suit what you want. You could even put in a flip down (almost murphy-like) countertop if you really want a table/desk of some sort.

You could build in a desk.

All sorts of things. :)

The possibilities are fairly endless. You'll end up with a few holes in the wall and floor from where things where. :)

Putty sticks work wonders. Pulled several things and added others over the years. Really fairly easy. Just remember to use short screws for anything you attach to the wall.

...I think I'd consider pulling it and then putting in some Ikea cabinets to suit what you want. You could even put in a flip down (almost murphy-like) countertop if you really want a table/desk of some sort.

That's what's been kicking around in my head.  I think a field trip to IKEA is in order.  :)

If we're smart about it, we can finagle a way to stash a couple of folding chairs, since I know we won't need them often.

Putty sticks work wonders. Pulled several things and added others over the years. Really fairly easy. Just remember to use short screws for anything you attach to the wall.

Good advice!

I'd love to ditch the carpet entirely and swap out the vinyl floor, but that might be a bigger project than I can talk DH into.  ;)

That's what's been kicking around in my head.  I think a field trip to IKEA is in order.  :)

If we're smart about it, we can finagle a way to stash a couple of folding chairs, since I know we won't need them often.

Good advice!

I'd love to ditch the carpet entirely and swap out the vinyl floor, but that might be a bigger project than I can talk DH into.  ;)

I know your trailer is lot larger than mine, but what you could do, is pull the carpet. (You probably have vinyl all the way throughout under the carpet), then put laminate flooring on top of the vinyl.

Many T@B folks have laid some laminate directly over the vinyl and it looks awesome!!!

It would be a great spot for a kegerator. Forgive my spelling.

Actually, now that Brady isn't in a crate anymore when we go out, we could fit one nicely right under the bar.  ;)

I know your trailer is lot larger than mine, but what you could do, is pull the carpet. (You probably have vinyl all the way throughout under the carpet), then put laminate flooring on top of the vinyl.

Many T@B folks have laid some laminate directly over the vinyl and it looks awesome!!!

Oh I would looooove to do that.  There isn't much carpet to begin with and it just traps the dog hair.  I'd rather be able to just give it a quick sweep.

I think I would get rid of the dinette side by the couch keeping the rest to make a L shaped couch. Then convert the piece of dinette that you ripped out into a nice ottoman for your feet.

Oooh - that's a cool idea! And in the process we could modify the dinette pieces so that we can get into them easier for storage purposes - either hinge the plywood so it lifts up easily, or maybe install doors in the sides.

we pulled the dinette and replaced it with another couch that pulls out into a bed, it fits a table between the couches and we use table mates  for eating and laptops. We found the couch at Rooms to Go warehouse across from Lazy Days when we were there last yr, worked out great for us.

we pulled the dinette and replaced it with another couch that pulls out into a bed,

I think if we do ditch the dinette we'll consider replacing the couch at some point with one with a decent bed in it.  The one in there now is just one of those flip out kind and it's horrendously uncomfortable, like sleeping on cement.  If we don't replace it right away, I'll probably stash an air mattress somewhere just in case.

We actually still have 2 brand new, never even sat on, jack knife style couches that came out of the bunk slide in this camper (and the one we rolled) when we first bought it.  The downside is they don't have arms on them and I'm not sure they're as comfy to just sit in as a couch, but maybe we can do something with those as they'd definitely make a better bed.

I'll be removing our dinette after I get the trailer back from getting some warranty work done. For us an extra bed is needed and we have a twin bed with drawers under it that we will be putting in place of the dinette with bolsters to make it into another couch during the day.

Our table has the folding legs on it so will just be storing it under the bed where it could be set up in front of the couch or bed with a couple of folding chairs if we need them. Or may just go the route of tv trays.

So glad this topic came up. This weekend is the Tampa RV Show. We will be looking for a new trailer and that u shaped seating is all the rage. With only two people we don't need this.

Also ask if you can get a free standing table instead of a dinette, we saw a lot offer it as an option last year. Especially if you are thinking of taking the dinette out, would be easier with the table and easier to store a table to put back in if you sell or trade in the trailer down the road.

So glad this topic came up.  This weekend is the Tampa RV Show.  We will be looking for a new trailer and that u shaped seating is all the rage.  With only two people we don't need this. 

we will be at the show with Richie and Lorna and maybe even some others on at least Friday and Saturday, see ya there lol

Also ask if you can get a free standing table instead of a dinette, we saw a lot offer it as an option last year. Especially if you are thinking of taking the dinette out, would be easier with the table and easier to store a table to put back in if you sell or trade in the trailer down the road.

This was my thought as a suggestion to Mo. When we were looking at trailers last year we saw a number of them with a couch that had a removable dinning table in front. We saw  some that were completely self supporting that folded up and those that used a double pedestal to support the table. Both had pro's and con's. The self supporting tables seemed a bit light weight to me where as the pedestals leave an exposed ring on the floor. Lastly there is always the fold up TV tray table. Well built wooden ones don't cost that much nor take up much space when folded. 

At the very least we'd replace the dinette with a small free-standing table/chairs.  And for sure we're going that route next time around.

Our dinette looks spiffy, but it's not at all comfortable to sit at, the table wobbles no matter how much we tighten it, and at best you can sit 3 adults comfortably - 4 and it starts to get squishy.

It's one redeeming quality is that it makes a really comfortable bed! The cushions are very sturdy and well upholstered. I'm actually considering rebuilding the base in some form the makes more sense and has better storage access, and reusing the cushions on top.

We have a U-Shaped Dinette with a collapsible table. 

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OwumJsAXRFUwH-9aKrtXVDlSMilUoVCL3QQsdJUvImQ?feat=directlink

It takes up the whole slide!  You can't really watch the TV from it (It's in the extreme right side of the pic).  What we do is collapse it and slide it over to in front of the couch as a "coffee table" and we jam 2 of the dog cages into the space and we had put Wrigley's food dish on one of the cushions for her to eat (She was a clean/tidy cat).  Not sure how it will play out with Vali.  He'll probably drop the food on top of the dogs head. Below is where we will slide the table over to.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6lWS2wIFlBRyDyGUAAAUWzlSMilUoVCL3QQsdJUvImQ?feat=directlink

If we were keeping this camper I would love to remove the dinette.  The two doors are really inconvenient for storage and the bench along the wall is where the one outside storage is located.  I would turn that into a PC workstation/office since I'm always working.

Just for the storage aspect...our dinettes have had drawers under the dinette seats.  They were quite deep, but we always overloaded them.  We now have a table and chairs.  Table fastened to the wall and floor and big enough for two chairs and Shawnee's wheelchair at the end.  No bed, but we never used the dinette bed anyway.