Check in time for cruise

I didn't realize I could already choose a boarding time for our upcoming cruise. I just hopped online, and the earliest time left was noon. Do they stick to those times? I'd hate for us to wait and then find out we could have boarded earlier.

Is this a DCL cruise leaving from Port Canaveral?

My experience is a bit dated (last DCL cruise was in 2013), but I think you're talking about a Port Arrival Time, not a pre-assigned boarding time.

From what I've seen, they don't enforce the Port Arrival Times.  Once the terminal is open, anyone can enter- they don't make guests wait outside.  Inside the terminal, you will have to check-in, and that's when your boarding time is assigned.

TCD

Is this a DCL cruise leaving from Port Canaveral?

My experience is a bit dated (last DCL cruise was in 2013), but I think you're talking about a Port Arrival Time, not a pre-assigned boarding time.

From what I've seen, they don't enforce the Port Arrival Times. Once the terminal is open, anyone can enter- they don't make guests wait outside. Inside the terminal, you will have to check-in, and that's when your boarding time is assigned.

TCD

It is a DCL from Canaveral and TCD is correct. I believe the terminal opens at 10:30.

It is a DCL from Canaveral and TCD is correct. I believe the terminal opens at 10:30.

My experience from 2012 and 2013 was that people show up when the terminal opens, and are allowed in, regardless of their assigned Port Arrival Time.  I knew about this in advance, and got the earliest time, but there were people with later times already there and lined up when I arrived, and they got to check in by the order they arrived at the terminal.  No one was checking Port Arrival Times.

The Port Arrival Time was implemented to discourage everyone from showing up early.  It's a poorly kept secret that it's not enforced, so people still show up early.  But not as many as before.

Keep in mind that if you show up early and check in early, they still don't start boarding the ship until around noon.  So, you will have an hour+ wait in a crowded terminal.  I've heard of guests waiting to arrive and check-in just after noon, and they basically are able to walk right on the ship after the early arrivers.

TCD

I was in the same boat (pun intended).

The earliest PAT I could get was 12:30, but we decided to get there earlier and found a line of traffic to enter the terminal at 10:30am.  While sitting in traffic to enter we could see a line of people waiting to get into the terminal on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the parking garage.

I just checked my pictures and by 10:47am I had already dropped off CP and W with our bags, parked the car on the ramp to the second level and was walking to security.  By the way there was no line to get into the terminal on the ground level, only a slight line to get through security where I met up with CP and W.  There was only one family in front of us to check-in so no real wait there.

By 10:54am we were checked in and taking pictures of the terminal.  We were given boarding group 17.  We then took lots of pictures and relaxed.

My next picture of us boarding was taking at 11:59am, at that point we were already by the photo opt where you board the ship.  

They were on about group 8 at this point, but because we were sitting next to the concierge area we were lucky and got picked to board through the concierge level much earlier than our boarding group.

Long story short, I would probably get there earlier next time, but as TCD said I also have heard that if you get there around 12 or later you basically just walk on the ship.

WBI

I just dug through and checked my pictures and I have a picture of a plate of food at Cabanas at 12:14. We arrived just before 10:30 at the port.and at 11:10 I have pictures inside the port after we checked in. We got our picture with Captain Mickey and took some pictures of the outside of the ship. Really didnt spend a lot of time just sitting and waiting. 

Even when they allow you inside to check in I do believe they issue boarding group numbers based on your original PAT.  As WBI stated, his PAT was 12;30 and he ended up in group 17 checking in at 10:47.

Last month I had PAT 10:45 and checked in at just about that time and was in boarding group 6.

So I do believe what I've been told, early PAT - lower boarding group #.