At what point does the Fort not become worth it?

45 minutes ago, mmfancipher said:

Even with fort prices being over $100 a night, I just looked and for a family of 6, which we are, a family suite will cost $487 a night.  Now that is too expensive.  We love the fort.

I hope they never build a DVC at the fort!

That's a great point.  I guess either Disney doesn't want large families.  Or they figure that a large family means an extra large income, so you can afford a $500 a night room, or book two $300 rooms. We try to find suite type hotels off property when we have the 2 granddaughters with us.  Even though it's only 4 of us, the extra space is nice.  We just stayed at an Embassy near the park, With the Priceline cost plus taxes and the resort fee and parking fee it came to less than $100.  2 queen beds, a sleeper sofa, living room and bedroom (with a sink in the bedroom) 2 TVs, breakfast buffet, and evening happy hours. It wasn't Disney, but in your example still almost $400 a night cheaper than a Disney suite.

But no matter what we all say, Disney must be doing something right.   The prices are high the rooms are full, and the parks are packed!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to me I cant put a cost to the memories that i made as a kid growing up at the fort. I know my mom and dad worked OT, or second jobs to make it work and for that I am grateful. That being said, I

I don't like the tone that this thread is taking, on both sides. I'm locking this thread for a day or so to let people cool off, and if people can't be civil, I'm going to move it to the debate

The point that everyone seems to overlook as they look back at the past is that River Country was not a perq for those staying at the campground - it was a separate ticketed entity which just happened

15 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

For us "large family" = 3 dogs.  And boarding them would more than eat up any savings we might get staying at a Value vs the Fort - by a lot.  Andplusalso.. the big reason we started camping in the first place was so we could take the fur balls with us.  :)

There will always be reasons why people would rather camp than stay in a hotel... you've got 3 of them.  My point is when is it not worth going to the Fort because of the $$ and/or booking hassle and instead go to an offsite campground that won't have the Disney "magic" but also won't have the Disney prices or convoluted reservation system.

And I know that some off site places can get close to Disney prices when you start adding on extra people. Some KOAs are a good example

Someone on a PUP site had posted a campground that seemed reasonable $8.50 per person or a family rate of $31 for 2 adults and 2 kids under 18.  But here comes the "extras",  $11 for electric and water ($8.50 for just electric), pets $6 per day, campfire $9 per day, they provide the firewood.

And of course that didn't include the water pageant, Trails End rockers, etc.

But maybe they have a swing set with more than 1 baby swing on it!

22 minutes ago, Travisma said:

There will always be reasons why people would rather camp than stay in a hotel... you've got 3 of them.  My point is when is it not worth going to the Fort because of the $$ and/or booking hassle and instead go to an offsite campground that won't have the Disney "magic" but also won't have the Disney prices or convoluted reservation system.

True, but the dogs actually factor into us staying on site also, as we wouldn't be comfortable leaving them in the camper further away.  But we're also in a different boat than some folks in that we actually have to plan our trip out way ahead of time anyway because of work, and since it's just once a year (right now at least) the price and hassle still aren't a deterrent.

I have been talking to a lot of folks at the laundry. Many have been here since Christmas. Most are complaining about the pricing and stating that this will be their last year. Spoke to a CM and she said the Fort becomes more of a retirement village in the winter.

We are a family of 6, which is why we love the cabins at the fort. We fit. Art of Animation is about the same price and has suites, not sure about other resorts but yes it would mean two rooms in most of them. I really don't want to stay at an all-star resort and be surrounded by the Podunk High School cheerleading squad and marching band.

I've always found it  odd that when you're in a campground/resort that's "totally full" yet you see several empty sites.  As a former employee of a major hotel chain working in reservations, it happens regularly.  Usually it's no-shows and odd overlapping arrival/exits.  So someone leaves Monday from site 123.  The next group slotted for site 123 arrives Wednesday.  So site 123 is "available" but since there are no 2 day reservations booked for Monday night and Tuesday, the site sits (frustratingly) empty.  Now with some 'play' usually you can piece together several small nights into a seamless trip but it's hard work.  I always make direct calls whenever I book a hotel/campground.  Never trust online booking...

17 minutes ago, Hammer bird said:

I've always found it  odd that when you're in a campground/resort that's "totally full" yet you see several empty sites.  As a former employee of a major hotel chain working in reservations, it happens regularly.  Usually it's no-shows and odd overlapping arrival/exits.  So someone leaves Monday from site 123.  The next group slotted for site 123 arrives Wednesday.  So site 123 is "available" but since there are no 2 day reservations booked for Monday night and Tuesday, the site sits (frustratingly) empty.  Now with some 'play' usually you can piece together several small nights into a seamless trip but it's hard work.  I always make direct calls whenever I book a hotel/campground.  Never trust online booking...

Finally the voice of reason.

On 1/27/2016 at 3:27 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

Ironically I had a few phone calls while cutting open the house. I did respond or answer but mostly to tell them I would work on it later. With the giant hole in the side of the house pouring my heating money out I wanted to get it closed up as soon as I could

Ha ha! I was one of those. 

1 hour ago, Theed31u said:

Being that this will be my first trip to the fort, I hope that it is what I expect and is more family friendly then some hotel.  

Everyone on here has got my family very excited to see the fort!

That it definitely is, no matter when you are here.

4 hours ago, Theed31u said:

Being that this will be my first trip to the fort, I hope that it is what I expect and is more family friendly then some hotel.  

You will love it. 

13 hours ago, Theed31u said:

Especially since this is your first trip, you will find the Fort a wondrous place.  And it is and always has been far more family friendly than any of the hotels.  We have always said you could spend a week in the Fort and never go into the parks and still have a great time.

I read through all the posts here and I am going to go out on a limb.  It seems most of the posts are from folks who have been staying at the Fort for years.  Like anything else we see the Fort change and be a little or a lot less magical as our memories of earlier trips.  And we see the prices going up, which is aggravating especially when we are getting less than what we used to get.  

I will be the first one to complain about the overall cost of the Fort but the minute I get there all that goes away and I am in one of my favorite places to camp.  I notice the changes but I try not to let them get me down.  I look around and overall I'd rather be here than just about anywhere (except maybe a good beach bar).

Last year I was having the normal the cost of this is going to kill me thoughts.  I went on to Disney's site and found a deal to stay at the Caribbean Beach saving us $500.00 when you factor in the cost of gas.  So we changed and stayed at the Caribbean Beach and it was the worst $500.00 saving I ever had.  We missed the campground, looping with our way to expensive Disney golf cart, and most important staying where we have all our stuff at our disposal.  Can't do all that in a hotel room.  

So going forward we will only be staying at the Fort when we go to Disney, the heck with the cost (at least for now).  But what we will do is cut down on the number of trips per year.  We will go from 3 to 4 trips a year, to 1 or 2.  But I would rather do that then stay in a hotel.  And who knows maybe a few less trips could bring back some of the old magic and wonder to the Fort.

Since we are currently living in TX and do about 90% of our vacationing at the Fort, this will give us the opportunity to see Florida outside of Disney.  I'm not talking the other theme parks, but just the old school tourist stuff.  Because when we are at the Fort it is rare we leave Disney property, so this gives us a chance to explore.

Sorry this is by far my longest post.  Hopefully it makes as much sense as it did in my head. 

On January 29, 2016 at 9:59 AM, ependydad...Doug said:

That's all of Florida in the winter.

Not to be predjudice of seniors or snowbirds, hell, they are my business, but it sucks for a lot of campgrounds in FL because they do cater to snowbirds and a lot to permanant residencies . When living in FL and you want to do a quick weekend trip, your choices are limited when it comes to so many of these types of places.  IMHO I think there should be campgrounds for people who want to just camp, not take residency at.  The lattace and Rubbermaid sheds, just don't do it for me. Along with my small kids swimming with everyone over the age of 70. I dont really care for the permanent stay people at the fort. After a while their sites start to turn into Sanford and son. Just my 2 cents

1 hour ago, Starbuc71 said:

When living in FL and you want to do a quick weekend trip, your choices are limited when it comes to so many of these types of places.  IMHO I think there should be campgrounds for people who want to just camp, not take residency at.  

It's only a winter issue, that's where their bread and butter is. Many(FORT excluded)sit partially full in the late Spring and Summer do to the heat and humidity. Many that we've talked to say they have plenty of availability then. 

As I've stated before, the FORT fills on weekends with locals, there are many regulars who show up 2-3 weekends a month. 

I do agree that State/County/City parks need a 14-30 day limit, where you have to leave, since they are subsidized by the local tax payers. Many Counties have a 6 month rental restriction, but they don't enforce it.

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

It's only a winter issue, that's where their bread and butter is. Many(FORT excluded)sit partially full in the late Spring and Summer do to the heat and humidity. Many that we've talked to say they have plenty of availability then. 

As I've stated before, the FORT fills on weekends with locals, there are many regulars who show up 2-3 weekends a month. 

I do agree that State/County/City parks need a 14-30 day limit, where you have to leave, since they are subsidized by the local tax payers. Many Counties have a 6 month rental restriction, but they don't enforce it.

I would love to know the locals secrets for getting 2 to 3 weekends a month!  We try, even adding a Friday and can never get a site even once every 2 or 3 months.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

I would love to know the locals secrets for getting 2 to 3 weekends a month!  We try, even adding a Friday and can never get a site even once every 2 or 3 months.

I've got 5 trips planned for 2016 (Thursday - Sunday).  I had to make all of them when the reservations first opened.  

It got to the not worth it to me stage on our last trip at Halloween, at least for just camping trips.  We are locals (for one more month) and have enjoyed camping at the fort over the years.  Most trips were just 2-3 day camping only trips.  When we had AP and came over to go to the parks for weekend trips it was just easier to get a room.  I'm sure at some point in the future we will come back down to go to the parks and we will camp at the fort.  But at $70 a night on the weekends (at the cheapest) plus $65/day for a golf cart it is just more than I can justify. I can get 3 or 4 trips at a state park where we feel we are actually camping for the money we spend on 1 fort trip.  The Fort is still the best deal on property but if your not going to the parks it's just too expensive for me. (Disney wins(AGAIN)) 

I don't like to take short trips in the rv if we're driving over 5 hours due to all that goes into packing it, setting up, etc.  We have been going for Halloween for several years for about a week and each time decided that we wanted to stay longer next trip.  This year we're doing a two week trip for Halloween (reservations through Jason).  We get the FL resident weekday annual pass so it makes us stay out of the parks on the weekends.  We kind of feel like we have to go to the parks every day we can to get the most out of our passes b/c we only go once a year.  Having the weekends blocked gives us the chance to do all of the wonderful things at the Fort.  We initially started staying at the Fort b/c we had elderly dogs that could not be boarded, but we fell in love with it so much that it's our preferred resort now even without pets anymore.

We took a short 5 day trip in December and stayed off site with hotel points.  The first morning we had to drive to the parks we all agreed that we missed the Fort, the ease of taking a boat to MK, having the comforts of home, seeing all of the wildlife, and feeling the magic.

It will get to be too much when the prices are more expensive than staying at other resorts that have similar amenities (boat to parks, firework viewing, microwave/fridge, etc.).  However, if we ever get another pet we will have no choice...... can't leave a part of the family behind.

Most of the state and county parks have 2 week limits. However it's seems some people just move from one park to another. What's bad is if you do book early enough to get a winter weekend and for some reason have to cancel it costs almost the cost of a night. It's even harder if there is more than one family trying to camp together. The catch 22 being you can pick your site but that leaves random nights open in multiple sites that can't be strung together to make a week or weekend trip for locals. (I know we wish you could pick our sites at the Fort but for maximum reservations it makes more sense the way the do it, not guaranteeing certain sites).

When we want to camp for a weekend it is almost easier to book the Fort especially for multiple families than getting sites at a state or county park. The Fort is a rare breed as it is a "resort", "rv" park but has the nature aspect. I don't enjoy the "resort", "rv parks" that you feel like you're in a parking lot or are mostly people living there. I want a escape to be able to relax, and getting the stink eye for being those "weekend" people is not an escape for me nor is being on top of my neighbors.

Sadly there seem to be fewer and fewer of those kinds of places left in FL or at least in our area. There is a nice little park in the sun City area that has trees trails, and even some campsites set up so if you are traveling with someone else your doors can face each other. They do have a big snowbird crowed but was told they always keep some sites open for weekend people.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It becomes not worth it with the current trip and my latest "discussion" with Disney management over people who leave their dogs locked in the trailer all day while they go out.  Between the higher prices for lower quality and smaller quantity food, lower quality t-shirts that you can sneeze through and the generally crappy attitude from too many CMs who haven't been around for even their first cup of coffee we are done.

We've been here since mid-December, and yes we are snow birds.  Canadian ones at that.  Sorry about that but we need to get out of the cold at our ages.   January cost $1885 US which translated into $3K Canadian.  But we were still prepared to "suck it up" and ride out the low dollar for this year.  And we may try and come again next year; maybe for Food and Wine because our AP doesn't end until December 15.  But we won't stay on property again.  

We've gone looking at several area campgrounds, some further afield then we would like, and at some point I'm going to post asking everyone's opinion of the three or four we settle on once we look at two more later this week but we are done paying Disney rates.  Done being treated like second class citizens because we camp, done being picked up by our heels and turned over and shaken so every penny drops out.  

We've talked with a lot of folks this year and, many like us, are saying "poke me with a fork, I'm done" and we've added our name to the list.