At what point does the Fort not become worth it?

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

It's the "old timers" that are the most vocal about the current sad state of the Fort.  The campers that have been around since the good old days and have seen all the amenities and uniqueness slowly stripped away.

The newer campers love the Fort because they don't know what they missed.

The Fort is a great campground.  Is it expensive for a place to drop a camper or pitch a tent? Yes it is, but as others have stated it's not too overpriced because some other highly rated sites nickel and dime you to death.

The old timers still love the Fort but to us, we are paying more and getting less than what we used to,

Disney treats the Fort like a red headed step child or a necessary nuisance.

People would be a lot happier if they did give us some perks, added amenities, and enforced the current rules fairly across the board.

It's hard to stomach paying as much as a value resort and not get the same amenities as they do.

Personally, I would love to see the trams come back in addition to the internal busses.  They could run them in-between the bus runs so everyone didn't have too wait so long.  Who knows, it might cut down on all of the carts flying around. Then that way if the busses are still running, they would still be ADA compliant.

You are correct, as an old-timer, it seems as if each year something else is stripped away and, despite fewer and fewer amenities, the price continues to rise.  You summed it up perfectly  " we are paying more and getting less than what we used to" and it grates.  

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to me I cant put a cost to the memories that i made as a kid growing up at the fort. I know my mom and dad worked OT, or second jobs to make it work and for that I am grateful. That being said, I

I don't like the tone that this thread is taking, on both sides. I'm locking this thread for a day or so to let people cool off, and if people can't be civil, I'm going to move it to the debate

The point that everyone seems to overlook as they look back at the past is that River Country was not a perq for those staying at the campground - it was a separate ticketed entity which just happened

11 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

I would also LOVE to see a new pool or small water park where RC used to be. The Fort really deserves a nice lazy river for instance....    

But as The Troll said above, apparently Disney is choosing benign neglect where the Fort is concerned. They will keep it open to make money, but won't do much beyond that to expand or improve it unless it's absolutely necessary   :(

Sorry to argue, but why does the Fort DESERVE a lazy river? Isn't Stormalong Bay the only resort pool to have one? The people at the 2 deluxe resorts that share that pool area pay WAY more than we do. I'd love to see RC reopened, but it's not going to happen. And if it did, what would happen to the rates at the Fort?

11 hours ago, Travisma said:

It's the "old timers" that are the most vocal about the current sad state of the Fort.  The campers that have been around since the good old days and have seen all the amenities and uniqueness slowly stripped away.

The newer campers love the Fort because they don't know what they missed.

The Fort is a great campground.  Is it expensive for a place to drop a camper or pitch a tent? Yes it is, but as others have stated it's not too overpriced because some other highly rated sites nickel and dime you to death.

The old timers still love the Fort but to us, we are paying more and getting less than what we used to,

Disney treats the Fort like a red headed step child or a necessary nuisance.

People would be a lot happier if they did give us some perks, added amenities, and enforced the current rules fairly across the board.

It's hard to stomach paying as much as a value resort and not get the same amenities as they do.

Personally, I would love to see the trams come back in addition to the internal busses.  They could run them in-between the bus runs so everyone didn't have too wait so long.  Who knows, it might cut down on all of the carts flying around. Then that way if the busses are still running, they would still be ADA compliant.

I'm all for enforcing rules (especially kids driving golf carts), but what amenities do the Value resorts have that the Fort doesn't? The Fort has a water slide, splash area, a TS restaurant, 2 dinner shows, a boat to the MK, a marina, beach area, fireworks viewing... the Value resorts don't have any of that. I had a great stay at a Value this summer, but I honestly can't think of anything they have that the Fort doesn't.

EDITED to add that I can't believe I forgot about the campfire with the only place I know if that you can see any Disney characters without paying for a meal or park entrance. 

I guess I'm not an "old timer," but I did first stay at the Fort around 32 years ago. 

30 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Sorry to argue, but why does the Fort DESERVE a lazy river? Isn't Stormalong Bay the only resort pool to have one? The people at the 2 deluxe resorts that share that pool area pay WAY more than we do. I'd love to see RC reopened, but it's not going to happen. And if it did, what would happen to the rates at the Fort?

The Fort HAD a Lazy River up thru 2001, it was called River Country. Yes, you had to pay extra, but you could walk to it and all of the extra water park features. It was essentially part of the Fort.  Many guests took their kids there instead of the Fort pool, so even if you didn't pay for RC you still benefited from it.

When it closed, the Fort was left with the one pool. the same pool it has now. (and the much smaller one added just for the cabins)

My original point was that since Disney closed RC entirely (even though they could have kept the chlorinated pools open for the guests at the Fort) they haven't added anything to keep up with higher usage. Just a few years later they had the perfect chance to at least add some capacity to the existing pools and did what?  Filled in the deep ends.

Answer honestly, if given the choice, all other aspects of the real world aside, would you rather camp at the present-day FW or the FW from the 70's and 80's?

26 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

The Fort HAD a Lazy River up thru 2001, it was called River Country. Yes, you had to pay extra, but you could walk to it and all of the extra water park features. It was essentially part of the Fort.  Many guests took their kids there instead of the Fort pool, so even if you didn't pay for RC you still benefited from it.

When it closed, the Fort was left with the one pool. the same pool it has now. (and the much smaller one added just for the cabins)

My original point was that since Disney closed RC entirely (even though they could have kept the chlorinated pools open for the guests at the Fort) they haven't added anything to keep up with higher usage. Just a few years later they had the perfect chance to at least add some capacity to the existing pools and did what?  Filled in the deep ends.

Answer honestly, if given the choice, all other aspects of the real world aside, would you rather camp at the present-day FW or the FW from the 70's and 80's?

So because the Fort had a water park next to it that closed 15 years ago, the people who run WDW should decide that the Fort gets a lazy river even though only 2 of the deluxe resorts have one, and they share it. That doesn't even make sense. 

And if River Country did open, people would be complaining about the extra traffic in the Fort. 

1 hour ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Honestly, I think I need to quit reading this thread. It's called Fort WILDERNESS, right? 

Hey I never complained to the front desk. It just really took the fun out of eating out doors for my little girl. I tried to get a spring break reservation and never could.  I have been going for 38 years and have things changed? Yes but what hasn't, I still love the Fort and unfortunately compare all other campgrounds to it. I haven't found one that measures up yet.

2 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

The main thing that bugs me about the Fort is our last 2 trips our campsite was full of Bee's

Oct/Nov was the first time we've ever run into a TON of bees - it was kind of weird actually, as we've been going the same time every year since 2004 and have never seen it like that.  I'm not sure if it was the weather (it was super hot this trip) or some weird bee/plant cycle??

I ended up making an impromptu bee trap that worked pretty well, largely kept them away from us,  caught dozens and dozens of them, and made it possible for us to still sit out a lot without much bother.

I'm not sure what the Fort could do about them short of cranking up the pesticides - which I'm honestly not a big fan of. This year I'll just plan to pack a real bee trap, just in case.

4 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Oct/Nov was the first time we've ever run into a TON of bees - it was kind of weird actually, as we've been going the same time every year since 2004 and have never seen it like that.  I'm not sure if it was the weather (it was super hot this trip) or some weird bee/plant cycle??

I ended up making an impromptu bee trap that worked pretty well, largely kept them away from us,  caught dozens and dozens of them, and made it possible for us to still sit out a lot without much bother.

I'm not sure what the Fort could do about them short of cranking up the pesticides - which I'm honestly not a big fan of. This year I'll just plan to pack a real bee trap, just in case.

We were there in November and also in June and had bee's both times. I was at the coke machine at the pool and a cast member there told me they have been searching for the hive but can't find it and dought they will.

5 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

We were there in November and also in June and had bee's both times. I was at the coke machine at the pool and a cast member there told me they have been searching for the hive but can't find it and dought they will.

We were all the way over in the back part of 300 so I can't imagine it's one central hive.  If it is/was, it has to be a whopper!!

6 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

That's scary. Like when they find giant hives inside buildings and no one knew they were there until it's like insanely large (clearly I watch too much TV).

Just now, Beckers said:

That's scary. Like when they find giant hives inside buildings and no one knew they were there until it's like insanely large (clearly I watch too much TV).

LOL - I've seen those shows too.  The best one was Andrew Zimmern with a woman who was a professional bee... person (I forget the actual title).  Her job is to actually relocate the bees and hive. 

It was pretty cool to see her do it.  And bonus... she walked away with a 5 gallon bucket full of FREE HONEY.

Oh and if anyone is curious, this was my bee trap...

12189610_1159674900713915_27815016775705

Tape 2 cups together, cut a hole in the center at the top (not too big), fill with something sweet - soda, juice, sugar water, or in this case a little triple sec.
Set it where it will lure the bees away from you. Presto!

Oh and don't forget to empty the bees and refill the liquid every once in a while.

That's a great set up Mo. Though I'd rather use the triple sec for something else.

Oddly we were there in July, Sept, Halloween, and Christmas and never saw any bees or at least not enough to worry us (my mom's deathly allergic so any more than a random bee is enough to worry us). We were in 500, 700, 900.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a friend that bought a house with a shed in the back yard. Turned out the shed was full of bees. They had to hire someone to come get them out it was like the shed was insulated with bees.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

to me I cant put a cost to the memories that i made as a kid growing up at the fort.
I know my mom and dad worked OT, or second jobs to make it work and for that I am grateful.

That being said, I have made it, camping at the fort, a priority for my kids.

I am a Disney fan like most others, and it came to the realization that staying at a Disney property was going to be expensive, but the benefits about the transportation/ planning out weigh staying anywhere else( unless were there for 1 night)

back in 2014 we spent 27 nights in Disney hotels, and that set me back just over $6,000 for just the sleeping portion, that didn't include food/ drinks , add in tickets/ food and drink and I am sure It was over $10,000
The decision was made to skip 2015 and save money, I used that money to purchase our first pop up, something i never had as a kid growing up, I was in class C's at a young age and then transitioned to a trailer as we camped less and less.  
we have now camped at the fort 2 times for a total of 7 days and were only in 2 months in to using it, my kids faces light up when they see dad backing the truck up to the garage to hook up the camper, and for that I can not put a price on it.   
on our most recent trip, this just melted my heart...
12670125_10205643348789130_6901791878834

he was so excited to be back at the mouse house.
so to answer the question, at what point does the fort become not worth it, Id have to say it will be at the point you stop making memories....

mom and dad told me you can always make more money, but you cant always make more memories

1 hour ago, swimmarz said:

to me I cant put a cost to the memories that i made as a kid growing up at the fort.
I know my mom and dad worked OT, or second jobs to make it work and for that I am grateful.

That being said, I have made it, camping at the fort, a priority for my kids.

I am a Disney fan like most others, and it came to the realization that staying at a Disney property was going to be expensive, but the benefits about the transportation/ planning out weigh staying anywhere else( unless were there for 1 night)

back in 2014 we spent 27 nights in Disney hotels, and that set me back just over $6,000 for just the sleeping portion, that didn't include food/ drinks , add in tickets/ food and drink and I am sure It was over $10,000
The decision was made to skip 2015 and save money, I used that money to purchase our first pop up, something i never had as a kid growing up, I was in class C's at a young age and then transitioned to a trailer as we camped less and less.  
we have now camped at the fort 2 times for a total of 7 days and were only in 2 months in to using it, my kids faces light up when they see dad backing the truck up to the garage to hook up the camper, and for that I can not put a price on it.   
on our most recent trip, this just melted my heart...
12670125_10205643348789130_6901791878834

he was so excited to be back at the mouse house.
so to answer the question, at what point does the fort become not worth it, Id have to say it will be at the point you stop making memories....

mom and dad told me you can always make more money, but you cant always make more memories

I agree with you!!!  me, To me Disney is just magical and Fort Wilderness is just the icing on the cake.  I love going as much now as the first time my parents took us.  That was opening year.  My Dad loved Disney and he passed his love of Disney to me.  My 2 sisters just don't get it.  They think Disney is fun, but can't understand the fact that I keep going back.

We now take 3 of our grandkids and they love Disney.  Their Dad is a Marine so they are stationed at Camp Pendleton is California.  They went to Disneyland 47 times last year.  So I guess we did a great job with giving them the love of Disney!!!  Right now, their Dad is at Parris Island training to be a drill instructor.  So they will be closer to us and about 250 miles from Disney World, but not as close as they are to Disneyland.  They are only 45 minutes from Disneyland.

So the bottom line is that I don't know when it will be too expensive to visit Fort Wilderness.  The problem is that Disney knows that too!!!!!

34 minutes ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

They went to Disneyland 47 times last year.  So I guess we did a great job with giving them the love of Disney!!! 

That sounds like 69-71 when we were stationed in San Diego.... It sure is addictive.  

12 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

So because the Fort had a water park next to it that closed 15 years ago, the people who run WDW should decide that the Fort gets a lazy river even though only 2 of the deluxe resorts have one, and they share it. That doesn't even make sense. 

And if River Country did open, people would be complaining about the extra traffic in the Fort. 

I really appreciate the condescension, especially when you skip over the actual point I was making to fixate on the Lazy River. 

I apologize if my post doesn't make sense to you, let me try again:

Yes, FW had a Water Park. With a TON of water features and play areas, including a LAZY RIVER.  Right there!  Right inside the Fort.  You could walk to it from your campsite.

When that closed it was a loss to every family camped at FW even if they didn't go to RC.

I don't give a you-know-what which resort has a Lazy River in 2016. I do care about what the Fort used to have and doesn't anymore.

So forget I said Lazy River, how about ANY new water feature that would compare to one of the resorts? How about a new pool or two?

You skipped right over my point about Disney going to all the trouble of rebuilding the existing pool but not adding one bit of extra capacity to it.

And lastly you also ignored my question which gets to the heart of the matter:  Given the choice, which FW would you rather take your kids to:  2016? or 1970's?

And for reference, here are a list of features lost when River Country closed: 

• Upstream Plunge, a kidney shaped clean-water pool.
  • Slippery Slide Falls, two water slides that emptied into Upstream Plunge.
  • Kiddie Cove, a kids zone with two large water slides and a cove. This area was targeted toward preteens.
  • Barrel Bridge, a bumpy bridge with barrels under it, similar to the one at Tom Sawyer Island.
  • White Water Rapids, a 330-foot (100 m) long inner tube river.
  • Bay Cove, a half-acre (2,000 m²) sand-bottom lake which featured a tire swing, boom swing, rope climb, and T-bar drop.
    • Boom Swing
    • Cable Ride
    • Tire Swing
  • Whoop 'n' Holler Hollow, two water slides, 260 ft (79 m) and 160 ft (49 m) long, that emptied into Bay Cove.
  • Bay Bridge
  • Indian Springs, a very small splash zone with fountains spraying kids. This area was mainly designed for guests under age 8.
  • Cypress Point Nature Trail, a trail among trees beside Bay Lake.
On 2/10/2016 at 1:10 PM, The Troll said:

Yes, I agree, and I'm partly or largely responsible for the thread going off the rails. For that, I apologize.

You make a great point. Evidently the Fort is profitable enough for it to remain open but not so profitable (like the DVCs) that it warrants any sort of expansion. Say what I will, but there just is no arguing with success -- or profits. I'm not entirely crazy about the DVC business model, but it's clearly hugely profitable, so I'm wrong about that.

On the matter of what the Fort has become and when it no longer becomes worth it, I point to this:

05224e71bd7250758c58a6b5c96e10da.jpg

Maybe I'm being a bit corny, but to me, this is what the Fort should be and was meant to be -- quaint, modest, quiet, charming. Cooking outdoors, relaxing in your camp chairs, grand views, plush forest.

The Fort used to be this but isn't anywhere close to it now. The common areas -- Meadows Trading Post, swimming pool, recreation areas, Settlement, etc. -- are still first rate and very nice, but the loops are just ugly.

But that's just me. A very good friend of Leslie's is a Disney reservationist -- ranked consistently in their top 10 reservationists -- and she tells us the Fort is almost always near capacity now.

So who the heck am I to complain? You can't argue with success.

Me? I'll just book a room at the Coronado in the future. It's quiet, quaint, charming...and they have hammocks on the beach. No diesel engines. No horse trailers. No semi trucks. No touring buses. No offroad golf carts. No leaf blowers going all day...

Great post and picture.   8)

".....Evidently the Fort is profitable enough for it to remain open but not so profitable (like the DVCs) that it warrants any sort of expansion....."

Agreed, it's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Well, I have to agree partly about the Fort being about Wilderness. I do think that there are three things that bother me most about the current state of the Fort:

The Meadow Pool seriously needs an upgrade

No more swamp trail...

No more Cypress Point Nature Trail...

Seems like those things would fit nicely into the current Fort Wilderness. The latter two (or ones similar) wouldn't be major expenses to do either.