We're thinking about bringing down our fire pit to use at the Fort.  My question is:  exactly who actually looks to see if the fire pit you have is Disney approved?  After all the crazy going-ons at the Fort (underage golf cart drivers, people parked all over etc.) is anyone really policing the joint? or do you just do your thing and figure you probably won't get caught?

But please try to obey the rules.  Its the ones who try to slip by that eventually cause problems for all.  Whether it be fire pits, barking dogs, parking on "grass", underage drivers, outside cart rentals, etc, they crackdown, but in the meantime everyone else has to suffer from these rule breakers.

I agree with Ken.

Just because a rule isn't being enforced doesn't mean that it shouldn't be followed.  True campers are a different breed, and common sense and courtesy should be all that we need. The problem with the Fort is that it attracts mobs of people who are not true campers and have no common sense or courtesy.

Especially when it comes to fire pits, the rules are clear, and guests should just follow them.  Or, the day will come that Disney takes the easy way out, and just ban all campfires.

TCD

I agree with the posts above, we have never had a campfire at the Fort as we don't have an approved fire pit. I saw lots of people using unapproved fire pits everything from small fires to some I would consider to big for the fire pits they were using. For me I personally wouldn't and when I get moved will be making a top and sides for ours so that it can be used at the Fort.

I do my best to follow the rules as well as be considerate of my fellow campers/people anywhere we are at. Unfortunately at the Fort this doesn't seem to be the mind set of 80% of the people, well at Disney in general. Which is just sad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As far as the WHO checks, they have "rangers" that drive around and check as well as the Security vehicles.  If they see someone using an unapproved pit they will make you either put the appropriate top on or close the door or put out the fire.  Open fires are something I think Disney takes seriously.  I had a security CM make me trim the wick on my small bucket citronella candle on the picnic table because they could see the flame above the rim of the bucket.:(  They must have been really hard up to show their authority.   

2 hours ago, Retired and Happy (Ken) said:

But please try to obey the rules.  Its the ones who try to slip by that eventually cause problems for all.  Whether it be fire pits, barking dogs, parking on "grass", underage drivers, outside cart rentals, etc, they crackdown, but in the meantime everyone else has to suffer from these rule breakers.

Excellent point.  While Disney does a so-so job at best of enforcing rules on a regular basis, what sometimes  something happens as a result of someone not following the rules, and/or they've finally "had enough" and then crack down on something that ends up effecting everyone for the worse.

IMO the rules on site decorating is one example. They went from "hey folks, please keep your stuff on your site and don't use every power pole in a 10 mile radius" to  "everyone has to shut everything down by 10pm."   :(

Excellent point.  While Disney does a so-so job at best of enforcing rules on a regular basis, what sometimes  something happens as a result of someone not following the rules, and/or they've finally "had enough" and then crack down on something that ends up effecting everyone for the worse.

IMO the rules on site decorating is one example. They went from "hey folks, please keep your stuff on your site and don't use every power pole in a 10 mile radius" to  "everyone has to shut everything down by 10pm."   [emoji20]

Yet the site that won the decorating contest was way over the halfway to the next site as well as blocked the garbage cans and recycling bins (can't remember if they turned their lights off or not but I don't think so).

When we checked in this year the Monday before Christmas we did not get anything nor were told that's lights/decorations had to be turned off and there were very few people following that rule this year.

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Yet the site that won the decorating contest was way over the halfway to the next site as well as blocked the garbage cans and recycling bins (can't remember if they turned their lights off or not but I don't think so).

Yep, and just wait... someone will complain about that and there will be more and more restrictive rules until they do away with decorating altogether. 

It's a vicious cycle, management doesn't enforce the rules, people take advantage, management puts more rules into effect that don't get enforced (at least not consistently), people continue to take advantage - "hey they're doing it, why can't I?" - it becomes a bigger headache for mgt, and eventually stuff gets banned altogether.  :unsure:

8 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

When we checked in this year the Monday before Christmas we did not get anything nor were told that's lights/decorations had to be turned off and there were very few people following that rule this year.

I think we were the only ones on loop 500 this year that turned our lights off at 10, so I actually started leaving them on towards the end.  But it was Inflatables Row, so I could see those people not wanting them deflating in every which direction.

And like you, we didn't get anything at check-in about decorating rules. I had just read them online. 

5 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The problem is that they ignore the big things and harass guests about minutiae.  It's amazing and magical.

LOL I can only imagine!  I"m sure I'd be the one person on the loop that would be called out for having party lights that are too bright!

Like TCD stated, the Fort is very arbitrary/hit or miss on rule enforcement.  One person will be told to move a vehicle because 1/2 of a tire is off the pavement onto the sand, and another will have their entire vehicle pulled into the bushes.  The booking site says there are specific sites for dogs, and no dogs are allowed in tents or popups.  They now put dogs in every site, including the partial tent/popup sites.  Partial sites state they are for tents, popups and van campers only, but I've seen numerous TTs in them.

44 minutes ago, Hammer bird said:

LOL I can only imagine!  I"m sure I'd be the one person on the loop that would be called out for having party lights that are too bright!

That would be me too.  One trip we got a love note because one day 2 wheels of our GCs tires were in the grass, and yet there were 3 full-sized pickup trucks parked across the front of a site near us for a whole week. :wacko:

I think some of the enforcement has to do with the rangers picking on easy targets whether there is a real violation or not. We have had them make comments to my wife who said they needed to talk to me but they take off as soon as they see me walking up. Of course if they can't process your payment they won't stop dropping off notices every two hours until you physically go to the front desk to fix things up. Nothing will stop them from collecting their money.

3 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I think some of the enforcement has to do with the rangers picking on easy targets whether there is a real violation or not.

Bingo.

The rangers are pretty much the bottom of the food chain when it comes to castmembers.  From what I've seen, there is no training, and no consistency, and there is a lot of turnover in that position.  So, they just hand some marginal castmember an orange vest and the keys to the Fort Ranger golf cart, and set them loose to bother the customers.  They never go and chase freeloaders out of the pool.  They look the other way when a pack of 12 year olds is joyriding on a golf cart.  Same with skateboarders.  But, they love to pass out their little love notes to guests who aren't parked correctly.  Not on the 300 loop though.

TCD

7 hours ago, keith_h said:

I think some of the enforcement has to do with the rangers picking on easy targets whether there is a real violation or not. We have had them make comments to my wife who said they needed to talk to me but they take off as soon as they see me walking up. Of course if they can't process your payment they won't stop dropping off notices every two hours until you physically go to the front desk to fix things up. Nothing will stop them from collecting their money.

TCD already touched on this but I also agree. It seems as though the larger the group, the more likely they will ignore any or all violations.

And of course, the larger the group, the more money they are spending at Disney.

Coincidence?  I don't think so.   :angry:

This is a great fire pit that folds down to almost nothing. We love it at the Fort. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $100 for it though.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-GMFP20-Grizzly-Portable-Fireplace/dp/B000FF8PQ6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1454735600&sr=8-14&keywords=fire+pit+with+top+grill

On 2/1/2016 at 11:35 AM, Travisma said:

They probably need to update their list also.  They have the small propane type fire pits on the banned list, and they don't throw out any embers, and when you turn them off, they cool rapidly and you don't have to worry about flare-ups.

I got one of those last year to use at our local place that doesn't allow wood fires and it is great.

They have no problem w/ these since as you say they don't throw embers of any kind.

I don't know why Disney wouldn't allow them. Seems like the perfect solution.