Recipe - S.E.A. Shu Mai, Skipper Canteen

From Disney Parks Blog...

RECIPE: If You’re Not in Magic Kingdom Park, Make This Jungle Skipper Canteen Favorite at Home

posted on February 3rd, 2016 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

The new Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom Park adds a whole new dimension to theme park dining at Walt Disney World Resort, with bold tastes from Asia, South America and Africa at the 222-seat table-service restaurant.

Fun décor takes you to the mess hall, or to the jungle-inspired parlor once used by the company’s founder, Dr. Albert Falls and his family. Behind the once-secret bookcase, another dining room is in a former meeting room of the mysterious Society of Explorers and Adventurers.

One of our favorite dishes are these steamed dumplings made with fresh pork, shrimp and the crunch of water chestnuts. The simple dipping sauce is the perfect accompaniment.

SMC489682

It takes a little time to grind the meat in your food processor – but you also could ask your butcher to do it for you. And wonton wrappers are available in most grocery store produce aisles. Ditto the sambal oelek, a spicy Southeast Asian chili sauce usually made with hot red chili peppers, salt and sometimes vinegar.

These dumplings make a great starter for any meal – or serve them as an entrée with a cool Asian salad.

S.E.A. Shu Mai
Makes 16 Dumplings

Shu Mai Filling

• 1/2 pound Boston butt, cut into 2-inch cubes
  • 1/4 pound shrimp pieces
  • 1/4 cup water chestnuts
  • 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
  • 2 tablespoons mung beans or edamame
  • 1/4 cup tightly packed arugula
  • 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 16 wonton wrappers

Dipping Sauce

• 1/4 cup lower sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sambal oelek

For shu mai:

1. Grind Boston butt, shrimp, water chestnuts, shallots, mung beans, arugula, fish sauce, Sriracha, coarse salt, and black pepper in a meat grinder or food processor.
  2. Place 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of each wonton wrapper.
  3. Fold the sides of the wonton wrapper up and gently crimp, leaving the top of the meat exposed.
    Steam in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until center of shu mai reaches 145°F.

For dipping sauce:

1. Combine lower sodium soy sauce and sambal oelek.
  2. Serve with shu mai.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/02/recipe-if-youre-not-in-magic-kingdom-park-make-this-jungle-skipper-canteen-favorite-at-home/

That's awesome that they shared the recipe- these dumplings are probably my favorite thing that they serve in there!  I didn't think the dumplings were that special (good, but very similar to the dumplings/pot stickers served in a lot of restaurants), but I really liked the dipping sauce, and now I know the secret ingredient for that!  I think I could get by with just making some frozen dumplings, and serving them with that sauce.

TCD

Like tamales I make large batches of Sui Mai and Pot Stickers. I then put the extra uncooked ones on baking sheets to freeze them individually and throw them in a ziplock bag the next day. When we want to eat them I just cook them the way I would if they were fresh allowing a little extra time for them being frozen. Shelf life is about three months maybe more if well wrapped in a -10 F freezer. 

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

Like tamales I make large batches of Sui Mai and Pot Stickers. I then put the extra uncooked ones on baking sheets to freeze them individually and throw them in a ziplock bag the next day. When we want to eat them I just cook them the way I would if they were fresh allowing a little extra time for them being frozen. Shelf life is about three months maybe more if well wrapped in a -10 F freezer. 

I really need to try this. We've got the extra freezer space and I've been trying to cook more and more stuff from scratch.