First time poster here!

I could not find this info posted anywhere so I spent over an hour on the phone with 5 different people from reservations, to the call center and FINALLY was transferred to the front desk ...ugh.  

This weekend will be my family's 2nd time at the fort. On our previous visit, I thought I had read that pets were not allowed in partial hookup sites so w

6 minutes ago, RoccosMom said:

First time poster here!

I could not find this info posted anywhere so I spent over an hour on the phone with 5 different people from reservations, to the call center and FINALLY was transferred to the front desk ...ugh.  

This weekend will be my family's 2nd time at the fort. On our previous visit, I thought I had read that pets were not allowed in partial hookup sites so w

Welcome!

It looks like part of your post didn't make it.

What is it that you want to know about pets in tents?

TCD

Oops!  ...

So we didn't bring our 4 lb yorkie last visit. This weekend we have a preferred site booked but aren't planning on bringing her because we're tent camping.

Since I keep reading about the lack of 'governing' on dogs~ ie. Dogs found in all loops, 6 dogs in a pop up...etc.  I thought I would call and ask.  After 4 people either didn't know or out right told me they 'thought' she would be ok in the tent if we kept her in the crate, the person at the front desk said no. According to him, no tent campers are allowed dogs even if crated.

I wondered if anyone had insight or new info/comments to help us out. We're leaning towards not bringing her, but we would love to have her with us if there is a way.  TIA

Welcome!!

Unfortunately you've encountered the age-old "ask the same question to 5 CMs and get 5 different answers." There is also conflicting information put out by Disney themselves on the question of dogs in tents (we had a fairly recent thread around I think). The other tricky thing with calling is that unless you call the Fort front desk directly, you're talking to a call center somewhere (probably not anywhere near WDW) to people that have never been to the Fort.

If you're booked into a pet loop, and you keep the dog crated in your tent, and your dog doesn't bother your neighbors, you are PROBABLY fine.

However if you don't want to take the chance, your best bet may be to get the name of someone actually AT the Fort who tells you it's ok and have that in your pocket, just in case.

Good luck!!  :)

As you have already learned, no one knows what the pet rules are.  Not even the people who are supposed to enforce them.

You would think it would make everyone's life easier if they would just publish the rules and post them on their website.

For what it's worth, these are the only printed rules that I'm aware of.  This is a photo of a page from the check-in packet I was provided back in 2013.  I've been back to the Fort since, and I don't think that this part of the written material changed:

92913652_zpsb4d7e92c.jpg

So, your pet must be kept in an RV or on a 6' handheld leash or kept in a crate.  If you're in a tent, you don't have an RV to keep the pet in, but you could hold it on a 6' leash or keep it in a pen, and you're following the rules as written.

Those rules mean that you can't have a dog on a chain or rope.  You can't have an enclosure set up at your site for your dogs to run around loose in. 

I guarantee you that I could take you on a drive around the Fort right now and we would find multiple instances of those rules not being enforced.

TCD

7 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

As you have already learned, no one knows what the pet rules are.  Not even the people who are supposed to enforce them.

You would think it would make everyone's life easier if they would just publish the rules and post them on their website.

For what it's worth, these are the only printed rules that I'm aware of.  This is a photo of a page from the check-in packet I was provided back in 2013.  I've been back to the Fort since, and I don't think that this part of the written material changed:

92913652_zpsb4d7e92c.jpg

So, your pet must be kept in an RV or on a 6' handheld leash or kept in a crate.  If you're in a tent, you don't have an RV to keep the pet in, but you could hold it on a 6' leash or keep it in a pen, and you're following the rules as written.

Those rules mean that you can't have a dog on a chain or rope.  You can't have an enclosure set up at your site for your dogs to run around loose in. 

I guarantee you that I could take you on a drive around the Fort right now and we would find multiple instances of those rules not being enforced.

TCD

Thank you!  If I am armed with this, I have a valid argument!!  However, since we're in a preferred spot, I planned on requesting a spot with a larger Coquina pad so we can place our tent and canopy.  Will I be raising red flags about our dog if I emphasize that we are tent campers? Ugh... thank goodness we have a great pet sitter on stand by. Decisions

This is from a real Disney web page

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/resorts-parks-destinations/

Rooms & Packages – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  How can I ensure a pet-friendly loop for my campsite at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort?

A.  When booking your campsite, you may request a pet-friendly loop for an additional $5.00 per night.

If you make your reservations online, select the “Add” button in the “Room and Amenity Requests” section. You will then be able to request a pet-friendly loop.

Please note: Pets are not allowed in pop-up trailers or tents.

Learn more about The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

16 minutes ago, Travisma said:

This is from a real Disney web page

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/resorts-parks-destinations/

Rooms & Packages – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  How can I ensure a pet-friendly loop for my campsite at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort?

A.  When booking your campsite, you may request a pet-friendly loop for an additional $5.00 per night.

If you make your reservations online, select the “Add” button in the “Room and Amenity Requests” section. You will then be able to request a pet-friendly loop.

Learn more about The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

Hang on there.

That link you posted does not take me to a FAQ page.

Are you quoting an old post from somewhere?

Edited to add- I think I found the link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/rooms-packages/camping-pet-friendly/

And why is this information buried on their website instead of being posted right on the Fort Wilderness part of the reservation site?

TCD

37 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Hang on there.

That link you posted does not take me to a FAQ page.

Are you quoting an old post from somewhere?

Edited to add- I think I found the link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/rooms-packages/camping-pet-friendly/

And why is this information buried on their website instead of being posted right on the Fort Wilderness part of the reservation site?

TCD

Thanks, guess I didn't grab the correct url.  I had more than 1 page open.

Now you are just being ludicrous!  You could get a better answer asking why is there air, or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin!

When I had the Fort booking page open, I tried searching for dogs, and it took me to a page about hot dogs.

56 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Thanks, guess I didn't grab the correct url.  I had more than 1 page open.

Now you are just being ludicrous!  You could get a better answer asking why is there air, or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin!

When I had the Fort booking page open, I tried searching for dogs, and it took me to a page about hot dogs.

Of course it did. Remember Disney's primary function is to sell, Sell, SELL!

The tent/pop up rule is also stated right on the Release and Indemnity Agreement all pet owners sign when they check in.  The last rule is "Pets are not allowed in pop-up trailers or tents".

Now, with that being said we get to the gray area.  As a former pop-up owner I asked about this rule many times and it was always explained to me that pets should not be left unattended in a pop-up or tent. 

2013PetRules.jpg

2 minutes ago, tim5055 said:

The tent/pop up rule is also stated right on the Release and Indemnity Agreement all pet owners sign when they check in.  The last rule is "Pets are not allowed in pop-up trailers or tents".

True, but when we have discussed this topic before, there are always plenty of folks who say that they never were asked to sign the Pet Agreement.

TCD

6 minutes ago, tim5055 said:

That's kind of late in the game for telling folks they can't keep their dog on site.

I don't disagree at all with either of you, but it always comes back to who is enforcing the "rule".  I don't care if we are talking about pets, golf carts, number of people on the site.......  It's all the same

I just wanted to say WELCOME!

I think your question as been pretty much answered. I believe that there may be a section in the pet agreement that you have to sign saying the same as above, about no pets in tent or pop ups (unfortunately I don't have one available to me at the moment to check).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, tim5055 said:

I don't disagree at all with either of you, but it always comes back to who is enforcing the "rule".  I don't care if we are talking about pets, golf carts, number of people on the site.......  It's all the same

Good point.

None of the rules are posted anywhere for guests to see before they arrive at the Fort, which is kind of dumb. 

The problem, which we have discussed ad nauseam, is that they try to run the Fort like they do a hotel.  Disney wants everything to look the same on their website, and in the materials provided to guests at check-in.

It would benefit everyone for the rules to be posted somewhere so everyone knows what they are before they arrive.  It would make things better for everyone, as I would like to think that most guests would read and abide by the rules if they were clearly communicated.

TCD

12 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I just wanted to say WELCOME!

I think your question as been pretty much answered. I believe that there may be a section in the pet agreement that you have to sign saying the same as above, about no pets in tent or pop ups (unfortunately I don't have one available to me at the moment to check).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Since we are discussing it, here's a scan of the pertinent part of the Pet Agreement:

[IMG]

I don't know if it's been changed- this is a copy of one I got in 2010, when I was camped in the 1500 loop, and the CM filled out the form saying I was in a designated pet loop site.  Despite the language about pets not being allowed in pop-up campers, no one said anything to me then or since about it.  Back then, the Disney site did include a version of the pet rules on-line:

[IMG]

That language suggested it was OK to have a pet in a pop-up camper, so long as you had air conditioning.

Now, the Disney website has no information on the Fort Wilderness page about pet rules.

TCD

Yea, they have changed the pet rule wording multiple times.  Here is what I have on my web page.  The first statement is from the old FW Q&A they had on line.

Q. Can you tell me more about keeping my pet at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground?

A. Specific areas of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground have been made available to Guests with pets. These are full hook-up campsites. There is a $5.00 per day pet charge. (This is a per day, per site charge only, not per pet.) Sorry, Guests in tents and pop-up campers may not keep pets at their site - they must be kenneled.

As of January 2011 it was changed to:

Pets
Pets like to go on vacation, too, so we offer a limited number of pet-friendly Preferred Hook-Up and Premium campsites. Pets are not permitted to stay in vehicles without air-conditioning or at tent sites.

As of June 2011 it states:

Pets
Pets like to go on vacation, too, so we offer a limited number of pet-friendly Preferred Hook-Up and Premium campsites.

• All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 6 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner's personal recreational vehicle. For pop-ups and tents, pets must be secured in a container, such as a portable cage or kennel.
  • Campsite Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.
  • Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.
  • Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel or leave the Resort.

TCD, as to your 1506 being a pet site - please refer back to the discussions "ad nausium" dealing with which cast-member you talk to....

And here were go again, or continue the Forts lack of enforcing rules, and in this case making it perfectly clear before hand what the rules are. The FAQ I posted was not on the Forts page of reservations.

Is Disney so afraid of loosing a customer or offending someone that they aren't willing to post the rules of the fort before people make a reservation?  Or did some lawyer make them hide the regulation because of the ADA act?

We know that there may be on paper pet loops, but they stick pets in any loop including 1500 and 2000.

On February 9, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Travisma said:

Sorry, we spent our most recent trip to the Fort in the 1500 loop;  January 30 to when we left February 5th there were two dogs in one site that had both a small trailer and a tent on it.  There was another tent with one dog in it.  There was a small class A in for three days that had a dog.  

The dogs in the small trailer whined from 7:30 in the morning off and on all day. Despite calls to the front desk, security, and a visit to a manager at the front the dogs were left to their own devices.  On the second day the owners closed the trailer windows, presumably on the assumption no one could hear the dogs.  Didn't work.   

As for this:

Pets
Pets like to go on vacation, too, so we offer a limited number of pet-friendly Preferred Hook-Up and Premium campsites.

• All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 6 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner's personal recreational vehicle. For pop-ups and tents, pets must be secured in a container, such as a portable cage or kennel.
  • Campsite Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.
  • Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.
  • Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel or leave the Resort.

The pets were on ropes that allowed them to run out much further then 6 feet.  The were not confined in any way shape or form. As well the folks that owned the animals took them out behind the 1500 loop along the canal, took them off their leashes and allow them to run.  They also neglected to pick up the pet's droppings.  Apparently those rule didn't apply to their pets.

During my visit with the manager at the front when I went up to complain that these particular pets were interfering with the "quality of my Guest experience" since we were having to clean the "droppings" up from around our site just to deal with the smell I was told "Disney is a pet friendly resort" and pets are welcome.  Once we cleared past the BS and Disney spin (sorry they tend to be the same thing these days) the bottom line is that rather than offend the pet owner by removing them or their pet, they will comp the complainer, smooze them over in any ways possible, apologize, but essentially tell them to suck it up.  No Disney manger is going to risk a news item that says "Disney turned away pet owner".

Once again Disney rules/regulation whatever that are in print are not the same as what Disney does in practice.   

Rules without enforcement = chaos!!!!

We are tent campers who take our dogs on vacation with us. We book full hook up sites, just so we could bring the pups over to the site to visit. They board at Best Friends and we'll occasionally check them out and bring them to the tent to hang out. Last week, we had them stay with us the last night because we didn't plan on leaving our site that evening (we usually start breaking down camp the night before). I wouldn't ever think of putting them in a kennel, in the tent, while we're away. Not only can it get hot in the tent pretty quickly, but I'm afraid someone might steal my pups. There's some real jerks out there and my dogs are super-cute! :)

21 minutes ago, sherryberry said:

We are tent campers who take our dogs on vacation with us. We book full hook up sites, just so we could bring the pups over to the site to visit. They board at Best Friends and we'll occasionally check them out and bring them to the tent to hang out. Last week, we had them stay with us the last night because we didn't plan on leaving our site that evening (we usually start breaking down camp the night before). I wouldn't ever think of putting them in a kennel, in the tent, while we're away. Not only can it get hot in the tent pretty quickly, but I'm afraid someone might steal my pups. There's some real jerks out there and my dogs are super-cute! :)

But you are obviously a person who cares about her dogs and wants to ensure they are both safe and comfortable.  We frequently bike around the Fort and see many well trained, well treated pets who are with their owners and being properly managed and taken care of.  

Unfortunately the Fort seems to attract a disproportionate number of folks who are exactly the opposite of you and other responsible pet owners and who don't care about either their pets, or the people around them.

1 hour ago, sherryberry said:

It is admirable that you take care of your pets, and are considerate of your fellow campers.

But the type of site you book doesn't determine if you can have a pet, it's the type of "camper".

If Disney followed their own rules, pets are not allowed in tents and pop ups due to some of the reasons you noted, too hot, and not secure.

Of course Disney doesn't follow their own rules, or have differing ones posted/listed, in various areas.

The rule I found on their reservation FAQ page says no to pets in tents.

Then Tim 5055 found the rules that stated they could be kept in a tent in a cage.

And it doesn't matter what type of site the dogs or owners are in if they misbehave.

We camped in 1500 and someone in 1700 had a dog that whined, cried and barked from morning until night when they left it alone.

it seems like for 1 night you had the best of both worlds, camping and your pet with you.