Okay Fiends, we are now...

Jedi had an issue with throwing up occasionally that we found was him not being able to eat once a day the way the previous owner was feeding him. Hes got a bit of a weak stomach in a lot of ways. We switched to once in the morning and once at night but splitting the amount in half and it very rarely happens now. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks!   Yes Mo, he is VERY loved... maybe a bit too much by our daughter (I'm finding that I have to save the pup from her "love" from time-to-time, haha ).

I have in the past used boiled ground beef/ground turkey/or ground chicken and rice for my dogs with upset stomaches.  Minnie was on that diet for about a week after she had an intestinal blockage abo

The vet wasn't sure.  She said he "looked good" (perky, good weight, no dehydration... etc).  She wants me to bring in a fecal sample so they can test for worms.  She gave me some medicine (basically

35 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

We have a "meet the vet" visit tomorrow; I'll bring it up there.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again!   Cats are so much easier... I get cats.  Dogs are a whole different breed... yes, I just heard it :rolleyes:

I'd definitely bring it up to the vet, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.  He's adjusting to new people and a new environment.

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Well.... feed him one small Milk Bone and yep, 45 minutes (give or take) later.. he threw it up.  No more food for him.  The vet is scheduled for tomorrow at 3:30p.

Milk Bones aren't the greatest things for dogs ... maybe try to feed him again in the morning?

14 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

How long had it been since he threw up the first time. If his tummy is stil upset he may not be ready. 

He threw up this morning around 9:30a.  Then again about 4:30p and just again 5 minutes ago (this last time was mostly liquid).  I'm on the phone with the vet's office now, to see if I need to come earlier than 3:30p tomorrow.

3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

He threw up this morning around 9:30a.  Then again about 4:30p and just again 5 minutes ago (this last time was mostly liquid).  I'm on the phone with the vet's office now, to see if I need to come earlier than 3:30p tomorrow.

Sorry just getting back. I was going to suggest the boiled bland chicken and rice like bhall said. What did the vet say?

12 hours ago, bhall said:

I have in the past used boiled ground beef/ground turkey/or ground chicken and rice for my dogs with upset stomaches.  Minnie was on that diet for about a week after she had an intestinal blockage about 2 months ago.

Thank you.  I posted on a FB page and lots of people said rice and chicken... I'm going to ask the vet about that this morning.

9 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Sorry just getting back. I was going to suggest the boiled bland chicken and rice like bhall said. What did the vet say?

Scheduled for 11am this morning.  He slept fine and "looked" okay this morning, except he is shaking some (my guess is his blood sugar might be low b/c he's had no food... poor guy :( ).

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thank you.  I posted on a FB page and lots of people said rice and chicken... I'm going to ask the vet about that this morning.

Scheduled for 11am this morning.  He slept fine and "looked" okay this morning, except he is shaking some (my guess is his blood sugar might be low b/c he's had no food... poor guy :( ).

Depending on your and the kids reactions when he threw up, he could be nervous because he soiled an area and disappointed you. He may have been scolded in his previous home.

The vet wasn't sure.  She said he "looked good" (perky, good weight, no dehydration... etc).  She wants me to bring in a fecal sample so they can test for worms.  She gave me some medicine (basically an anti-nausea pill for dogs) and advised a bland diet of chicken/rice or (if I didn't want to cook) Hill Science ID.  I bought a couple of cans of the Hill Science ID; that will get me through about 4 days.   If he continues to vomit, she wants to see him back.  For now, she said it could be something simple:  stomach virus (like the flu for people), stress or maybe he ate something (bug, bad flower, etc).

So... right now we're waiting for the vomit (so much fun!) and praying that it was a 24 hour thing and that it is now all GONE.

Oh... and I learned that shoving a pill down a dog's throat is NOTHING like shoving a pill down a cat's throat.  Let's just say, it didn't go over that well.  I finally gave up and smashed one and then mixed it into his food :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

The vet wasn't sure.  She said he "looked good" (perky, good weight, no dehydration... etc).  She wants me to bring in a fecal sample so they can test for worms.  She gave me some medicine (basically an anti-nausea pill for dogs) and advised a bland diet of chicken/rice or (if I didn't want to cook) Hill Science ID.  I bought a couple of cans of the Hill Science ID; that will get me through about 4 days.   If he continues to vomit, she wants to see him back.  For now, she said it could be something simple:  stomach virus (like the flu for people), stress or maybe he ate something (bug, bad flower, etc).

So... right now we're waiting for the vomit (so much fun!) and praying that it was a 24 hour thing and that it is now all GONE.

Oh... and I learned that shoving a pill down a dog's throat is NOTHING like shoving a pill down a cat's throat.  Let's just say, it didn't go over that well.  I finally gave up and smashed one and then mixed it into his food :rolleyes:

They sell these little pill pouches that are basically treats that close around the pill so the dog doesnt know he is taking one. Turkey Breast works fine for Jedi to hide it so I dont need them. 

I've never had any luck getting pills down any of my cats throats.  If I had to give medicine to my cat's it took two of us...one to hold them, one to squirt the medicine (in liquid form because it was impossible to give it to them in pill form) between their teeth and down the throat.  All pets are different...you just have to find what works best for your pet.

braunshwieger (liver sausage) is an awesome way to give a pill.  congrats on the new pup!  he has found a great home.  chicken and rice is really the best way to solve the upset tummy (if that's all it is).  

if you are feeding him a food that he wasn't on-it could be the problem too. 

you can try feeding a little less food at a time/more often.  we have to do this with barkley.  he needs to be paced when he does eat.  he will toss up his food if - he eats too soon after we get home, he is excited to travel with us (very hard not to show we are leaving-with them), or we yell at the dogs to be quiet just after they eat.

we watch and learn-you will to.