Okay Fiends, we are now...

We had a miniature Dachshund when I was young and he would throw up after eating if we let him drink water. We fed him dry food so what we did was start adding some water to moisten it. We also took up the water bowl at feeding time so he could drink on a full stomach. This took care of the problem which I suspect was caused by the dry food swelling when he drank the water. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks!   Yes Mo, he is VERY loved... maybe a bit too much by our daughter (I'm finding that I have to save the pup from her "love" from time-to-time, haha ).

I have in the past used boiled ground beef/ground turkey/or ground chicken and rice for my dogs with upset stomaches.  Minnie was on that diet for about a week after she had an intestinal blockage abo

The vet wasn't sure.  She said he "looked good" (perky, good weight, no dehydration... etc).  She wants me to bring in a fecal sample so they can test for worms.  She gave me some medicine (basically

40 minutes ago, keith_h said:

We had a miniature Dachshund when I was young and he would throw up after eating if we let him drink water. We fed him dry food so what we did was start adding some water to moisten it. We also took up the water bowl at feeding time so he could drink on a full stomach. This took care of the problem which I suspect was caused by the dry food swelling when he drank the water. 

Hmmm... that's interesting. 

So... first potty mishap in the house.  When I get him out of the crate in the morning, I always take him outside to go potty (not a "walk", just to go potty).  Did this today, came in and turned around... dog had pooped on the floor.  I was not a happy camper, but I was also angry at myself as I knew he hadn't had a bowel movement in 48 hours (of course, he hasn't had a ton of food, so that makes sense... and we've had lots of rain lately so he has NOT be interested in long walks), so I kicked myself for not walking him more. Reprimanded him and immediately took him outside for a proper walk... 15 minutes later, another bowel movement for which I gave lots of praise.

Note to self:  ALWAYS take this dog on one or two true "walks" around the block, everyday, no matter what the weather.  I'll just need to "drag" him until he poops, haha :) 

Man... cats and their litter boxes, so much easier! :rolleyes:     Silly cat allergies...

3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

So... first potty mishap in the house.  When I get him out of the crate in the morning, I always take him outside to go potty (not a "walk", just to go potty).  Did this today, came in and turned around... dog had pooped on the floor.  I was not a happy camper, but I was also angry at myself as I knew he hadn't had a bowel movement in 48 hours (of course, he hasn't had a ton of food, so that makes sense... and we've had lots of rain lately so he has NOT be interested in long walks), so I kicked myself for not walking him more. Reprimanded him and immediately took him outside for a proper walk... 15 minutes later, another bowel movement for which I gave lots of praise.

Note to self:  ALWAYS take this dog on one or two true "walks" around the block, everyday, no matter what the weather.  I'll just need to "drag" him until he poops, haha :) 

Man... cats and their litter boxes, so much easier! :rolleyes:     Silly cat allergies...

And since he's a male, and they will try everything to avoid soiling their sleeping spot, he may decide to lift a leg and pee outside of the cage if necessary.  Found that out watching our daughters Chihuahua.  So be prepared...

3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

And since he's a male, and they will try everything to avoid soiling their sleeping spot, he may decide to lift a leg and pee outside of the cage if necessary.  Found that out watching our daughters Chihuahua.  So be prepared...

Bite your tongue...

Dogs are gross. 

5 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Unless you have a cat that thinks a 1 foot radius is close enough.

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Bite your tongue...

Dogs are gross. 

Me thinks we have a cat person owning a dog. This should be fun to watch over the coming months (or years). :lol: 

39 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Me thinks we have a cat person owning a dog. This should be fun to watch over the coming months (or years). :lol: 

Yep.  I'll admit it... I'm not a dog person.  But, Bailey realllyy wanted a pup and both kids ended up testing positive for cat allergies so, I am now trying to be a "dog person".  Good think he's a cute pup :)

NaCole, I sincerely hope by next year this time you've been converted to a dog person!  I've never liked cats -- good thing since I'm so allergic to them.  But to me dogs are so much more loving, personable, and fun.  I hope Simon becomes a good experience for you.

I somehow missed this thread the last few days.  So sorry to hear your pup hasn't been feeling well.  Hopefully he gets sorted out soon! 

Good call on the "real walks" - also a regular routine goes a long way towards avoiding accidents.  If he was potty trained before, it should just be a question of getting the new routine sorted out. Whenever we've had foster dogs, they were adult dogs that had been reliably housetrained in their former homes.  We'd sometimes get an accident or 2 until we'd both sorted out what the routine needed to be.  In the meantime we'd restrict where they had access when we couldn't watch them - i.e., a nice hard surface that was easy to clean vs a rug.  ;)

For our gang it was also figuring out what the signs were. Bz was a tough one.  We got her as a pup (she was born in rescue) so it was more square one potty training, but she just never told us when she needed to go.  What eventually worked was hanging a bell on the back door.  Every time we took her out, we'd whack the bell.  We also kept some treats by the door and every time she came back in, she'd get one. Eventually she figured it out and would whack the bell when she needed to go.

But then she figured out she could whack the bell every time she wanted to go out and play... and that's when we took the bell down (darn smart dogs!!)

Our dog is similar, must be walked twice a day, every day so she'll poop. She also has a very sensitive stomach, no table food. If she ever does eat something she shouldn't she vomits. Then I do the chicken and rice routine for a couple of days to get her feeling better again. 

Hope she's doing better. This too, shall pass!

Landon, our newest dog will poop inside after I always take him out.  His favorite spot is on my slippers or beside them, which will make Vali the kitten come out to me and tell on him and then swiftly goes back to the bedroom and try to cover it up, usually by him dragging a pee training pad on top of it.  Yes, Landon even pees on the floor whenever he wants and if I take him out with the other girl dogs, he will hike a leg and pee on them while they are squatting.   Now I know why he ended up at a shelter.  He's now got the other dogs in the habit of barking all the time too.  I prefer the 2 cats over Landon.  The other 3 dogs don't care for him either.

Just keep up with the positive and appropriate negative reinforcement.  I'm sure he'll turn out to be a good dog for you.  My wife thinks the same will happen with Landon but in the last 4 months he's gotten worse and the one person I took him to for 'training' recommended he goes back to the shelter.

1 hour ago, bhall said:

Landon, our newest dog will poop inside after I always take him out.  His favorite spot is on my slippers or beside them, which will make Vali the kitten come out to me and tell on him and then swiftly goes back to the bedroom and try to cover it up, usually by him dragging a pee training pad on top of it.  Yes, Landon even pees on the floor whenever he wants and if I take him out with the other girl dogs, he will hike a leg and pee on them while they are squatting.   Now I know why he ended up at a shelter.  He's now got the other dogs in the habit of barking all the time too.  I prefer the 2 cats over Landon.  The other 3 dogs don't care for him either.

Just keep up with the positive and appropriate negative reinforcement.  I'm sure he'll turn out to be a good dog for you.  My wife thinks the same will happen with Landon but in the last 4 months he's gotten worse and the one person I took him to for 'training' recommended he goes back to the shelter.

Oh... that's sad.  I hope Landon improves!  Your patience is commendable. 

4 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

NaCole, I sincerely hope by next year this time you've been converted to a dog person!  I've never liked cats -- good thing since I'm so allergic to them.  But to me dogs are so much more loving, personable, and fun.  I hope Simon becomes a good experience for you.

Me too Gwen...

3 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I somehow missed this thread the last few days.  So sorry to hear your pup hasn't been feeling well.  Hopefully he gets sorted out soon! 

Good call on the "real walks" - also a regular routine goes a long way towards avoiding accidents.  If he was potty trained before, it should just be a question of getting the new routine sorted out. Whenever we've had foster dogs, they were adult dogs that had been reliably housetrained in their former homes.  We'd sometimes get an accident or 2 until we'd both sorted out what the routine needed to be.  In the meantime we'd restrict where they had access when we couldn't watch them - i.e., a nice hard surface that was easy to clean vs a rug.  ;)

For our gang it was also figuring out what the signs were. Bz was a tough one.  We got her as a pup (she was born in rescue) so it was more square one potty training, but she just never told us when she needed to go.  What eventually worked was hanging a bell on the back door.  Every time we took her out, we'd whack the bell.  We also kept some treats by the door and every time she came back in, she'd get one. Eventually she figured it out and would whack the bell when she needed to go.

But then she figured out she could whack the bell every time she wanted to go out and play... and that's when we took the bell down (darn smart dogs!!)

That's funny on the bell.  We had a bell for a cat, when I was growing up... never thought of it for a dog.  My guess is, Simon would act the same as Bz.  I know we've only had him a short time, but I can tell you he loves three things:  eating, being outside and sleeping on your lap.  So, I think that he too would ring it, just to go outside :)