Good Morning All,

I have a question for all the site availability experts out there. As we all know by know sites rarely show up as available for one or two nights, but if you add a few extra nights to the end they magically appear.

My question is, will these sites ever open up for just one or 2 nights the closer you get to the specified time? It seems ridiculous that they would leave a site open in order to save.

My dilemma is for this weekend, I have some family staying at the Fort this weekend, and I would like to join for Saturday night. There is a tent site available if I make the reservation for March 5th through the 10th, but I only want the 5th... Should I just keep checking for the single night? Or book the long trip and try and cancel at Check-in?

Thanks All,

ECKusch

Will probably not open for the 1 night, but miracles do happen. More than likely someone will end up getting it as part of a extended stay.

Be careful if you book extra days, then try to drop them. They changed the policy last year making it very difficult to do that just because there were so many people were booking extra just to get 1 or 2 days. If you called ahead of time to cancel and you got a regular reservation agent, they couldn't cancel the days for you, they had to send a message to someone higher up, who may or may not grant you the change.  They would either email you an answer, or the change would appear in the reservation portion of MDE.

Don't know what would happen if you tried to drop that many days at check in.

Welcome to the wonderful Disney Reservation System!

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Will probably not open for the 1 night, but miracles do happen. More than likely someone will end up getting it as part of a extended stay.

Be careful if you book extra days, then try to drop them. They changed the policy last year making it very difficult to do that just because there were so many people were booking extra just to get 1 or 2 days. If you called ahead of time to cancel and you got a regular reservation agent, they couldn't cancel the days for you, they had to send a message to someone higher up, who may or may not grant you the change.  They would either email you an answer, or the change would appear in the reservation portion of MDE.

Don't know what would happen if you tried to drop that many days at check in.

Welcome to the wonderful Disney Reservation System!

Is booking then waiting to cancel at Check-in a better option?

I believe you can cancel an entire reservation up to 24 hours before arrival with no penalty.

I have cancelled 1 night at the end of a multi night stay due to an issue at home with no penalty, but we were already checked in and had been there for 3 days.

I honestly don't know what kind of issues you will encounter trying to cancel 4? days of a 5 day reservation during check in.

Disney magic may happen and they just do it, or you may be in for a battle or a penalty payment.

Is the family truly camping, or staying in a cabin?

What are you camping in?  You mentioned booking a partial site, so are you in a tent?

If real camping, what are they staying in, what kind of set-up, and how many on the reservation?

You can have 10 people on a site, and a trailer and a tent, or two (or more) tents on a site. Unless they have some land yacht sized RV you should be able to sneak a tent on their site.

Can they just add you to their reservation?

You could try booking it then calling ahead and canceling the days you don't want. I haven't done it with reservations made after they changed the policy so I don't know what they will say or do. But there's a pretty good chance if the won't allow it ahead of time that they won't at check in either or will at least make it difficult. You can always cancel 5 days ahead of time for a full refund or change your reservation at any time. I have had times where a Saturday night became available Saturday morning when there had been no reservations available the night before. If this was due to someone canceling, leaving early, or just because they figured they wouldn't fill it for a longer time being day of I don't know. It was in February over one of the marathon weekends.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I looked at availability last week for just this coming Saturday night and there was full and partial available for that one night. They must be gone now. I wanted to add a day at the beginning of our stay and was just curious if it was completely booked. Jason ended up adding the one night to our reservation, which is for a premium site.