• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another out of state freeloader!   Durn northern carpetbaggers!

and with the construction on I-4, hopping off of I-4 onto the 417 toll is WELL worth it. You will drive to Disney instead of crawl to Disney.

Just beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts!!!  :-)  The emoticons are gone?

In a word, yes, if you'll be driving on any of the seemingly endless list of toll roads in the Central Florida area. I think they sell one for about $10 that includes a $10 credit against your tolls so it is essentially free. I could be wrong about that, it's happened before. :-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you are going to utilize the toll roads, then definitely get it.

So much easier than stopping for the toll booths.  We were on the Beachline a couple of weeks ago, and the traffic at more than 1 of the toll booths was at least 4 lanes, 30 cars deep.  We just went whizzing by.  Also it gives you a discount on each toll.

You set up an on line account.  Just keep track of the booths you go by, and check them on line to make sure you got charged correctly. 

You can get the $5 credit card 1 vehicle only type of card in vending machines at some of the rest areas. Most of the drug stores and Publix sells them also.

Sun Pass works throughout the state (except for a couple odd roads around Miami? I think) works in GA and maybe N and S Carolina?

Absolutely worth it!! You can get the sticker for a single vehicle, or a portable one to use in any vehicle. Just add the tags for your vehicle AND for your camper to the online account. It will add the third/fourth axle as you go through.

Also, supposedly, with "Plate Pass" you don't even need the transponder or sticker in your vehicle. If you have additional vehicles that you use, you can register the plates and the bill will go against your main account.

This post reminds me... my Peach Pass (Ga) account still shows no deductions for our Oct/Nov trip or our Christmas trip to Disney.  I think that's so strange...

To answer the OP, you bet... it's much nicer to not only slow down rather than stop, especially if the toll booths are super busy!

25 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

This post reminds me... my Peach Pass (Ga) account still shows no deductions for our Oct/Nov trip or our Christmas trip to Disney.  I think that's so strange...

To answer the OP, you bet... it's much nicer to not only slow down rather than stop, especially if the toll booths are super busy!

Another out of state freeloader! :lol:  Durn northern carpetbaggers!

Awesome! Thanks a lot for all the answers! 

I was not 100% sure because of some of the reviews I have read. Also I've tried to take the non-toll roads before with out the TT but to me it just took longer.

I will have to go to the web site and see if I can find a place to buy one after i pass the state line. 

8 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Another out of state freeloader! :lol:  Durn northern carpetbaggers!

Haha... I know right?  I'm not sure what happened, the transponder is on the truck (where the paperwork explained, up by the rear mirror) and we got a green light when going through the tolls.

Strange.

Oh well, there's money sitting in there... in case they ever decide to take it/charge it.

2 hours ago, EpyonX said:

Awesome! Thanks a lot for all the answers! 

I was not 100% sure because of some of the reviews I have read. Also I've tried to take the non-toll roads before with out the TT but to me it just took longer.

I will have to go to the web site and see if I can find a place to buy one after i pass the state line. 

Major rest areas on the interstates, Walgreens, CVS, Publix

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Like what? In 6 years we only had one wrong charge 5 axles vs 4 and they credited it back no argument.

I read some of those same reviews when I was searching for something on SunPass, and I bet 99% of them were not SunPass fault. Probably, default on their funds, or having the wrong tag on their account, or dead batteries on their transceiver. There are a lot of people in this world that it is always "somebody else's fault".

Does any one know if the welcome center at 5865 U.S. 231 Campbellton, FL has the SunPass-mini?

This welcome center is the one we always stop at on the way down to Orlando.

I don't know about the welcome center but I would think so they are usually in a vending machine.

You can also order them online and have them shipped to you ahead of time as well. That way you can set up the account and have it all ready to go and aren't spending time at a rest area trying to set it all up and hoping it worked.

5 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Like what? In 6 years we only had one wrong charge 5 axles vs 4 and they credited it back no argument.

I just did a search for sunpass reviews. Some said they were charged twice, some said that they still got a ticket even when they had the pass, some said that they kept pulling money from their CC etc. That's good to know that if they do make a mistake they will correct it. I think all of the reviews were from people that live in FL. I have always used cash, but pulling a TT I did not want to stay in line if  I did not have too.

3 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I read some of those same reviews when I was searching for something on SunPass, and I bet 99% of them were not SunPass fault. Probably, default on their funds, or having the wrong tag on their account, or dead batteries on their transceiver. There are a lot of people in this world that it is always "somebody else's fault".

That's what I was wondering, but never having / needing a pass before I was just not sure. 

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I don't know about the welcome center but I would think so they are usually in a vending machine.

You can also order them online and have them shipped to you ahead of time as well. That way you can set up the account and have it all ready to go and aren't spending time at a rest area trying to set it all up and hoping it worked.

I wanted to order online, but I've run out of time... We will be on the road Friday. I was looking at their site today and I was thinking that they would have some app for the phone to make the process easier, but no dice. I will either use the phone or use a hot spot to connect the tablet to set it all up.

59 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I have one of the credit card types and it's been working fine.  I was even able to peel it off the windshield of 1 truck and put it on another one.  They claimed it would be ruined if you removed it.  You can set up reminders to email you when the funds drop below a set amount.

After looking at the two they have and for the needs right now I think I will get the mini for the truck. That's cool about the reminders because they say you get a discount but on the way down I will get my wife to write down the cost of all the booths going to the Fort. This way we can see what the savings are and how much to put back on the pass for next time. 

4 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

You can also set it to automatically fund a certain amount when it drops below a certain amount. For example, when my balance drops below $10, I have it charge another $25.

I like that as well, just in case I forget to add some for the next trip.

One thing to consider, is the credit card type is only $5, as compared to the mini movable one that is $20.  You can add multiple cards and tie them into 1 account, so unless you have more than 4 vehicles it's less expensive to buy the card types for multiple vehicles. The movable is good if you want to loan it to a friend, or if you rent a lot of vehicles.

Once you get it besure to add the truck and trailer license plates to your account. If it does fail to read your transponder they match your plate number if a pic is taken. The fee is then deducted from your account.  That is why the complaints about getting tickets is more non-sense.  If your account is up to date it works very smooth. 

11 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Not if you stay on 95 and 4. There are some alternate routes that are toll roads.

and with the construction on I-4, hopping off of I-4 onto the 417 toll is WELL worth it. You will drive to Disney instead of crawl to Disney.