What type of supplies are available at the Fort?

We are getting our final shopping list finalized and starting to pack the mh.  I know there are options to get groceries delivered to you at the for from various sources but my question is what is available on site?  Does the trading post sell things like gallons of milk or eggs?

24 days until we arrive!

The prices are VERY high though, so I wouldn't want to do a major shopping there, but if you are on the last day or two of your trip and need just a couple of things, it is convenient versus running offsite, especially if you are not pulling a car.

I don't know the length or your stay, the size of your fridge, or how many people are involved, but we try to bring as much as we can from home,  We run the fridge on the road to insure things stay cold.  If we're out for a week or so, we usually have enough, but our month long Christmas requires a trip or two to Walmart or Winn-Dixie.  We buy occasional small purchases at the Trading Posts...ice cream, tv dinner, bread.

55 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

The prices are VERY high though, so I wouldn't want to do a major shopping there, but if you are on the last day or two of your trip and need just a couple of things, it is convenient versus running offsite, especially if you are not pulling a car.

The prices for milk, bread and eggs aren't horrible and we usually will pick those up vs making a trip out.  Everything else is another story.

If you need much more and have a car, head for the nearest Publix or Winn Dixie - there are a couple to pick from about a 10-15 minute drive away. 

4 hours ago, Retired and Happy (Ken) said:

I don't know the length or your stay, the size of your fridge, or how many people are involved, but we try to bring as much as we can from home,  We run the fridge on the road to insure things stay cold.  If we're out for a week or so, we usually have enough, but our month long Christmas requires a trip or two to Walmart or Winn-Dixie.  We buy occasional small purchases at the Trading Posts...ice cream, tv dinner, bread.

We are staying 8 nights and are going to pack the fridge as full as possible before leaving home and will have cases of water in storage under the motorhome.  Even if the prices are high I think we would utilize the store.  We can go use a gallon a day and a 18 eggs in a single breakfast with the 4 kids.  I looked some at a service but seemed not to be cost effective to just have a gallon of milk and a couple dozen eggs delivered every day.  We will not have a car so we will try to stay on property as much as possible.

Also keep in mind,your food stretches longer if you are going to eat some on Disney property.  We have a bigger family too and use that much milk, etc.. I don't think the prices are too high on perishables.  The expensive things are the ones that have a longer shelf life.  As long as you are supplementing from the fort, it doesn't break the bank in my opinion.  We like to order pizza to go from Trails End too.  It is reasonable and tastes pretty good.

Not to sound like a complainer, but back in the Golden Age of the Fort, they used to have a large selection of groceries and fresh food and meats at the Meadow.  And, it was only slightly higher than going to an off site grocery store... I'm talking about a few cents more, not more than double like it is now.  The philosophy back then was to keep the campers on site as much as possible and make it easy for them to enjoy themselves.  Over the years they cut back on what they had in the way of groceries and expanded the souvenirs.

10 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

When doing eggs on Scout campouts, I usually precrack them and put them in ziplocs with all the other scrambled egg fixings, then just pour into a pan.

Any idea how long eggs last... once they have been cracked?  We have an "egg container" and usually have room for a dozen, but in a pinch I've thought about doing this (cracking them and putting them in a tall container that will fit in the door and I've always wondered... do you have to use them in a couple of days?

Any idea how long eggs last... once they have been cracked?  We have an "egg container" and usually have room for a dozen, but in a pinch I've thought about doing this (cracking them and putting them in a tall container that will fit in the door and I've always wondered... do you have to use them in a couple of days?

Just for curiosity sake I did some Internet surfing and it seems like the answer is 4 days. But if you crack them and beat them well they can be frozen for up to 4 months.

Even if you didn't want scramble eggs every day making some and freezing them would free up some room in the fridge for uncracked eggs. I would think you could even add whatever you wanted to them ahead of time put them in a ziploc bag and freeze flat at home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PGHFiend said:

On the supply topic- Mickey bars are available and should be placed in RV Freezer for ride home

Nacole: From what I know from my friend with chickens, eggs don't need to be refrigerated in the first pace, but double check that.

Eggs do not need to be refrigerated, and in many parts of the world are not.

1 hour ago, PGHFiend said:

On the supply topic- Mickey bars are available and should be placed in RV Freezer for ride home

Nacole: From what I know from my friend with chickens, eggs don't need to be refrigerated in the first pace, but double check that. 

I think fresh eggs might be able to sit out a day or two... but I think store bought (and definitely scrambled) is something different.   Actually... that brings up another question, wonder how "old" store bought eggs actually are? :huh:

5 hours ago, Travisma said:

Not to sound like a complainer, but back in the Golden Age of the Fort, they used to have a large selection of groceries and fresh food and meats at the Meadow.  And, it was only slightly higher than going to an off site grocery store...

I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the convenience, but not as much as most things are at the TP.  Fresh produce would be nice (beyond apples and oranges).  I ran out of limes once and had to take a ride.  ;)

Bread, milk and eggs is about all I'll pickup there in a pinch.  More than that and I plan a trip out to Winn Dixie.

This has been in Tampa for a few months, then started in Orlando

Orlando Grocery Delivery - Shipt

Simplify your life with grocery delivery. You asked. We listened. Shipt grocery delivery from Publix is now available in the Orlando area! Shipt makes grocery ...

I think you can get a $10 discount on your first order.

I haven't tried it, and I don't know what the fees are like, but you might want to look into it.

You can create and account online.  The page says greater Orlando, Kissimmee, and Sanford.

13 minutes ago, Travisma said:

This has been in Tampa for a few months, then started in Orlando

Orlando Grocery Delivery - Shipt

Simplify your life with grocery delivery. You asked. We listened. Shipt grocery delivery from Publix is now available in the Orlando area! Shipt makes grocery ...

I think you can get a $10 discount on your first order.

I haven't tried it, and I don't know what the fees are like, but you might want to look into it.

You can create and account online.  The page says greater Orlando, Kissimmee, and Sanford.

I might have to check this out for out trip at the end of the year.  Part of being able to stay longer means fewer meals out and more cooking, and I'd rather not be running out to the market a bunch of times.  If the prices/fees are reasonable, I'd rather have my groceries come to me.  :)