Can anyone please explain to me the best way to maintain your generator during the months when you don't use your RV.  I have been running it once a month with a load on it by running the AC.  Last month it won't start, I brought it to the dealer and they ended up replacing the carburetor.  I was told because of the gas, I should run it every two weeks.  I plan on leaving the MH in Florida from June to December and since I won't be there to run the generator, what alternatives do I have?  Is there a gas additive I should use?   Any other advice would be appreciated.

Is there a fuel shut off on those? I don't have a generator, but on my motorcycle, I just run it with the fuel shut off turned OFF til it stalls to make sure there is no fuel left in carb to gum it up. I've been doing it that way for 10 years and no problem.

I have used Stabil in the past and that is when I had problems.

Best Regards,

Norm

Does it have an independent tank or use the same tank as your main engine? If it has an independent tank you could use non ethanol fuel which should help. If it's a shared tank that could get very expensive quick. Either way I would ask the dealer or manufacturer what fuel additive they recommend for extended storage. We away used non ethanol gas or a stabilizer/additive in the boats, mower, anything other than the cars that get a good work out. Gas with ethanol has a short shelf life and is not fun to deal with once it's set for awhile, in my experience in a boat for over a year and the whole fuel system had to be pumped out, cleaned and dried. Larger engines might not be as sensitive I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Does it have an independent tank or use the same tank as your main engine? If it has an independent tank you could use non ethanol fuel which should help. If it's a shared tank that could get very expensive quick. Either way I would ask the dealer or manufacturer what fuel additive they recommend for extended storage. We away used non ethanol gas or a stabilizer/additive in the boats, mower, anything other than the cars that get a good work out. Gas with ethanol has a short shelf life and is not fun to deal with once it's set for awhile, in my experience in a boat for over a year and the whole fuel system had to be pumped out, cleaned and dried. Larger engines might not be as sensitive I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Most Class A gensets use the same tank as the vehicle engine, but the gas line for the genset is higher in the tank so that it can't run the tank dry.  Obviously on a trailer the genset will have it's own tank.

I agree in using non ethanol gas in as many of your devices as you can

On our "C" that we had for 11 years, I ran it once a month under load for 2 hours and if it was going to sit for more than a month, I added Stabil to the gas tank (shared between engine and generator) and filled the tank (we used regular - did not avoid ethanol). I would then run the generator long enough to ensure that the Stabil was in the engine. I would still run it once per month under load.

Never had a problem with the generator and it always started just fine.

I have a stand alone generator for running a portion of the house during power outages. I replace the gas at the beginning of each hurricane season and use Stabil in the tank. The important part is I turn off the gas and run the carb dry after I use it. I don't run it on any type of regular schedule and have never had a problem with it starting when I've needed it to.

A side story:  A couple years ago I had a man come by to mow my grass.  Shortly after starting the job, his mower broke.  He asked if I had a mower he could use.  I have a gas push mower that had not been used in 2 years since I was using a riding mower and weed eater.  He asked to try the push mower, and it started on the first pull.  After that, I did not use it again until late last summer. Again, Start on the first pull after checking the plug to see that it was clean.  I can't explain it.  I haven't changed gas, just added when necessary.  I haven't used additives.  Just stored the thing in an UN-conditioned out building.  

31 minutes ago, Retired and Happy (Ken) said:

A side story:  A couple years ago I had a man come by to mow my grass.  Shortly after starting the job, his mower broke.  He asked if I had a mower he could use.  I have a gas push mower that had not been used in 2 years since I was using a riding mower and weed eater.  He asked to try the push mower, and it started on the first pull.  After that, I did not use it again until late last summer. Again, Start on the first pull after checking the plug to see that it was clean.  I can't explain it.  I haven't changed gas, just added when necessary.  I haven't used additives.  Just stored the thing in an UN-conditioned out building.  

I don't have anywhere to store my lawnmower. Just no room. It sits in the yard and get buried in snow and rain. I have only once changed the oil, filter, and plugs. I just fuel it up and on the second pull every time I starts right up. The safety pull died year two so I have a screw driver I have to put in to open that part so it will run and then it dies when I pull it. I keep saying when it dies I will get a new one but every time second pull. 

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I don't have anywhere to store my lawnmower. Just no room. It sits in the yard and get buried in snow and rain. I have only once changed the oil, filter, and plugs. I just fuel it up and on the second pull every time I starts right up. The safety pull died year two so I have a screw driver I have to put in to open that part so it will run and then it dies when I pull it. I keep saying when it dies I will get a new one but every time second pull. 

Sounds kind of like one of my in-laws cars. The shift lockout is broken so to put in or take it out of gear they use a screwdriver in the emergency release slot next to the shifter.

4 hours ago, keith_h said:

Sounds kind of like one of my in-laws cars. The shift lockout is broken so to put in or take it out of gear they use a screwdriver in the emergency release slot next to the shifter.

I had to do that on my then almost new truck for a couple of weeks until I could get it fixed.

I am assuming that you are talking about a generator that is in a motor home.  Otherwise you could take it home with you and start it there.  Starting it and letting it warm up will help burn off moisture that can collect in the crankcase.  It will also keep your batteries topped off and running your AC will keep the seals in the system from drying out and leaking.  If you are storing it someplace I suggest you see if anyone at the facility can start it up once a month while you are away.  While letting the unit sit for an extended period can cause the fuel in the carb to evaporate and clog up the jets, its unlikely.  The injection of new gas in the fuel lines should dissolve those deposits.  It could be that you just needed a new carb.  Onan gensets are also notorious for going through fuel pumps.