10 years at the Fort for YC and family

I thought I would bring back one of my favorite ways of starting a trip report by highlighting each morning some of my favorite Disney coffee mugs I have collected through the years.  Some will be repeats from the past and some will be new.

This one just makes me happy and I wanted to start with it.

F1B790D8-D444-41CC-975C-C48C23159597_zps

As the title suggests this trip/pre-trip report will commemorate our 10th anniversary visiting the Fort. 

My first and our family’s first visit to The Fort was in the summer of 2006.  We had just bought our pop up in October of 05’ and some friends who introduced us to pop up camping asked us if we wanted to go camping at Disney.  We jumped at the chance to go to Disney as we are big fans but not really knowing what to expect from the campground.  We were hooked immediately but it would take us some time to return to The Fort.  We have visited many times but stayed other places both on and off property before going back to The Fort in 2011.

I enjoyed The Fort so much that trip, shortly after returning I wanted to know more about The Fort.   I searched for information online and I found the Voldy forums and got to know many of the current Fiend members there.  I became part of the flush and have continued to enjoy reading and talking about the The Fort with other Fort Fiend Fanatics over the years.

Our upcoming trip begins on Saturday when we make our way to Tampa and then on to the Fort on Tuesday.  Why not start at The Fort you ask?  I will share more about that later in the week. 

For now here is a few pictures of the Fort 10 years ago.  Sadly I don’t seem to have many from The Fort.  Shame on me!

PICT3013_zpshtidqqix.jpg

PICT3014_zpsihxcvwbg.jpg

PICT3280_zpsnzmmb4n6.jpg

PICT3281_zpscahqkrgi.jpg

The one thing that stands out on this trip is we lost our awning the first hour we were there.  We were in the 1400 loop, 1433 I believe, and we didn’t have a long enough electrical line to reach the power pole.  We went off property to get an extension.  In the hour we were gone a typical summer thunder boomer came along and tore the awning off the camper and left it in a folded heap.  Off to Winter Garden we went for a $350 new awning.  Ouch!

Thanks for reading  more on Wednesday morning.

YensidCamper…YC..Eric

A YC TR including the coffee mugs?  Now I don't feel like the stranger I surely am around here!  Count me in.  Love it!

You began going to the Fort right around the time our family did (also with 2 sons, who appear to be similar in age).  We were fortunate to live only a few hours' drive back then and went often.  Now, I am 6 states and many miles away, and my Fort visits consist of a few hours here and there while in the area staying in a hotel, and vicariously via my lurking around here and on FB.

We still camp, and have upgraded from tent, to pop up, to TT over the years - we're on our second, sold our first to a fellow FF member!  But, the new one stays here in PA.  Not complaining though, there are so many wonderful places to camp up here, being in SE PA we are equally distant from the mountains or the shore.

Look forward to reading more, and envious of your upcoming trip!

16 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

In! Excited to read along!! :)

14 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I'm in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I'm in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Awesome start!

6 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

I'm in, looking forward to more!!!!!

Thank you all for reading along and the encouraging words to keep it going!  I hope the coming posts don't disappoint. 

This is tough for someone who prefers numbers to writing. Also, please excuse my poor grammar as I come to FF to get away from the proof reading I have to frequently do at work.

13 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Time really flies. I look at some of our past trip pics (like yours) and it seems like yesterday.

One thing about writing this TR is it has gotten me to look back at our old pictures.  I am so glad we chose to spend our time with our boys this way.  I am also glad my wife forced me to take pictures now.

11 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Look how young the boys are!
Excited to follow along with this one.

The boys are 6 and 4 in that picture.  Not their first trip to Disney but it was their first to The Fort. My advice to you is take lots of pictures.  I have really enjoyed looking at them.  They boys are shocked too when they see them.

3 hours ago, fortpartyof4 said:

A YC TR including the coffee mugs?  Now I don't feel like the stranger I surely am around here!  Count me in.  Love it!

You began going to the Fort right around the time our family did (also with 2 sons, who appear to be similar in age).  We were fortunate to live only a few hours' drive back then and went often.  Now, I am 6 states and many miles away, and my Fort visits consist of a few hours here and there while in the area staying in a hotel, and vicariously via my lurking around here and on FB.

We still camp, and have upgraded from tent, to pop up, to TT over the years - we're on our second, sold our first to a fellow FF member!  But, the new one stays here in PA.  Not complaining though, there are so many wonderful places to camp up here, being in SE PA we are equally distant from the mountains or the shore.

Look forward to reading more, and envious of your upcoming trip!

It is great to share life experiences here on FF.  We started in a tent, then a popup.  We camp about once per month April to October.  We have it a little easier getting to The Fort and I hope we can make it an every year trip, but it is about every other year.  Living in Middle TN we can get to many states to camp fairly easily and try to go out of state at least once per season.  So far our boys continue to love to camp and don't see it as taking them away from their social life.  I hope to hold on to that a while longer.

Thanks for reading along. Maybe we can make a GG up your way sometime. 

Looking forward to seeing your Disney mug collection and reading about your trip.  

I agree about taking lots of pictures of your kids as they are growing up. My son is now an adult, and I am glad that I have lots of pictures, from our many trips to Disney, to look back on. Time goes by so very quickly.

2 hours ago, Ivy said:

Looking forward to seeing your Disney mug collection and reading about your trip.  

I agree about taking lots of pictures of your kids as they are growing up. My son is now an adult, and I am glad that I have lots of pictures, from our many trips to Disney, to look back on. Time goes by so very quickly.

I will say it always irked me how much my wife wanted pictures, now I can appreciate her insistence. 

Thanks for reading along!

Good Morning! I thought I would start our day with a couple of Fort souvenirs that we like to look at but they aren’t good coffee mugs.  They are pretty poor quality.  They are too heavy, don’t keep your coffee hot very long, and if you look closely the logo has melted in the dishwasher.

175789AA-A29B-40A0-A955-86370AB1E198_zps

However, they remind us of the good ole days and make us wish for a simpler life, you know, the way it was back when.  That is what we like about The Fort.  It makes life simple again.  For that short period of time we are there life slows down and we get to enjoy the simple things we have lost.

It is very similar to what draws many of us to Fort Fiends.  We like to talk and meet with the kind of people that love to camp and really love to camp at The Fort.

So, Good Morning Fiends, I hope you have a great day and enjoy that cup of morning coffee.  In less than a week I will be typing this from the porch at Crockett’s enjoying that simple life.  I wonder what cup I will choose to use then?

We have similar taste in mugs, and coffee makers!  I haven't noticed the coffee getting cold, though my coffee almost always does because I set it down, then get busy and forget about it!  They told me when I bought mine at the trading post not to put it in the dishwasher.  So, it doesn't get used very much because I despise washing dishes!  

IMG_9910.jpg

10 hours ago, fortpartyof4 said:

We have similar taste in mugs, and coffee makers!  I haven't noticed the coffee getting cold, though my coffee almost always does because I set it down, then get busy and forget about it!  They told me when I bought mine at the trading post not to put it in the dishwasher.  So, it doesn't get used very much because I despise washing dishes!  

IMG_9910.jpg

It is amazing to me how similar our kitchens are to each other.  Our backsplashes are even in a diamond pattern.   Different colors but wow.  I guess people who like Disney, camping, and The Fort can have many other things in common as well. 

We were told not to put it in the washer either, but since we hate doing dishes too, we risked it.  Obviously didn't work out well for us.

Thanks for sharing.  I really enjoy getting to know other members better.

Good Morning, one more day closer to leaving.  Since we are going to be at WDW during the Flower and Garden Festival I thought I would share my wife’s favorite mug.  We are hoping to get a new one this time around, but I am not sure we are down with the Figment theme this year.

56205C44-8AE2-43D8-A14E-F1D71C8599AE_zps

45BDE0B6-1888-4F1C-A8EA-5A377795BDD4_zps

I got some important things done last night to prepare for the trip.  I got a new pair of shoes to navigate the Parks.  That means fitted New Balance athletic shoes.  Of course my son told me they made me look old.  To which I replied, “if the shoe fits!” That was real knee slapper.

I also picked up a new pair of sunglasses.  My two year old Ray Bans were in pretty bad shape.

Today after work will be a big prep day.  Kids clothes packed, house cleaned up and the yard mowed.  Wish me luck!

Here is a look at an old picture of the Flower and Garden Festival to brighten your day.

PICT7585-2.jpg