Looking for input on some great campgrounds in Florida if you have kids.  We all know The Fort is #1, but we're looking for some others.  We don't want to go any farther south than Ocala.  Either cost is fine.   We are not "roughing it" type of campers, so we're looking for something with decent roads and nice sites.  Full hook-ups would be nice, but a dump station will work.

We have a couple of 3 day weekends we're trying to decide what to do with...

A little further S than you want, but Fort Desoto in St Pete is a great place. 

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm#fortd  We haven't been to the campground part in years, but the rest of the park is fantastic.

The person I bought my BAL Leveler from had good things to say about Ft Clinch just above Jacksonville over on the coast.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Fort-Clinch or http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/fort-clinch-sp/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=FL&parkId=281027

We've never been there, just going by what the guy said.

Looking for input on some great campgrounds in Florida if you have kids.  We all know The Fort is #1, but we're looking for some others.  We don't want to go any farther south than Ocala.  Either cost is fine.   We are not "roughing it" type of campers, so we're looking for something with decent roads and nice sites.  Full hook-ups would be nice, but a dump station will work.

We have a couple of 3 day weekends we're trying to decide what to do with...

I don't know about the campgrounds themselves there are several around ichetuknee springs. The river is beautiful (though a little chilly) to float down, they have 2 or 3 different places to start from so you can kinda choose how long you float for. And can go as many times as you like. If you so decided to go take a mask and snorkel, and some rope to tie your Tubes together with. You can also bring your own float or Tubes from home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

A little further S than you want, but Fort Desoto in St Pete is a great place. 

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm#fortd  We haven't been to the campground part in years, but the rest of the park is fantastic.

The person I bought my BAL Leveler from had good things to say about Ft Clinch just above Jacksonville over on the coast.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Fort-Clinch or http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/fort-clinch-sp/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=FL&parkId=281027

We've never been there, just going by what the guy said.

Thanks.  Yes... Ft Clinch is on our to-do list :)

31 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I don't know about the campgrounds themselves there are several around ichetuknee springs. The river is beautiful (though a little chilly) to float down, they have 2 or 3 different places to start from so you can kinda choose how long you float for. And can go as many times as you like. If you so decided to go take a mask and snorkel, and some rope to tie your Tubes together with. You can also bring your own float or Tubes from home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you! :)

Again, a little further than you stated (but not too far from Disneyworld) is this place

http://www.ocfl.net/CultureParks/Parks.aspx?m=dtlvw&d=22#.VugeKtgUWUk

It's Kelly Park/Rock Springs Run

Kelly Park/Rock Springs Run

Admission FeeCamping RV SitesCamping TentPicnic Area/GrillsPlaygroundRec. ProgramsRental PavilionsSwimmingTrailsVolleyball (Sand)Wildlife

Hours of Operation:
Summer: 8 a.m.- 8 p.m.;
Winter: 8 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Monday - Sunday
Phone Number: (407) 254-1902
Address:
400 E Kelly Park RD
Apopka, FL 32712
Acreage: 245
Located on Kelly Park Rd., one-quarter mile east of C.R. 435.

Points of Interest:
Kelly Park features a free-flowing natural spring (68 degrees year round), full-service concession, picnic pavilions and playground. Tent and RV camping are available at this park; for more information, click here. Camp Joy group camping is just next door.

Park Admission Fee: $3 per vehicle for 1-2 people; $5 per vehicle for 3-8 people; and $1 for additional person/walk-ins/motorcycles/bikes.

No tubes over 5 feet in length are allowed in the springs. Tube rentals are available from vendors outside the park.

We went to the tubing part.  Had a great time, had otters swim past us while tubing.

When we left we rode thru the campground.  Wooded between sites, I cant remember if the road was paved, I think it was hard packed dirt.  Quiet place it seemed.

22 minutes ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Have you looked at Topsial Hill State Park? Kelly has a couple TR's from there and it looks very nice.

Yep :)   It's a great park.  We were there in January and are scheduled to go back May and November :)

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Again, a little further than you stated (but not too far from Disneyworld) is this place

http://www.ocfl.net/CultureParks/Parks.aspx?m=dtlvw&d=22#.VugeKtgUWUk

It's Kelly Park/Rock Springs Run

Kelly Park/Rock Springs Run

Admission FeeCamping RV SitesCamping TentPicnic Area/GrillsPlaygroundRec. ProgramsRental PavilionsSwimmingTrailsVolleyball (Sand)Wildlife

Hours of Operation:
Summer: 8 a.m.- 8 p.m.;
Winter: 8 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Monday - Sunday
Phone Number: (407) 254-1902
Address:
400 E Kelly Park RD
Apopka, FL 32712
Acreage: 245
Located on Kelly Park Rd., one-quarter mile east of C.R. 435.

Points of Interest:
Kelly Park features a free-flowing natural spring (68 degrees year round), full-service concession, picnic pavilions and playground. Tent and RV camping are available at this park; for more information, click here. Camp Joy group camping is just next door.

Park Admission Fee: $3 per vehicle for 1-2 people; $5 per vehicle for 3-8 people; and $1 for additional person/walk-ins/motorcycles/bikes.

No tubes over 5 feet in length are allowed in the springs. Tube rentals are available from vendors outside the park.

We went to the tubing part.  Had a great time, had otters swim past us while tubing.

When we left we rode thru the campground.  Wooded between sites, I cant remember if the road was paved, I think it was hard packed dirt.  Quiet place it seemed.

Thanks.  Yeah... a bit too far.  We only have 3 days weekends to work with, so we don't more than (preferably less) a 6 hour drive.  Thank you though, I remember you posting on your visit to this park and I thought it looked neat.

We are at Camp Gulf right now. If you want to camp on the beach, can't get any closer then this. I like it because 15 minute walk in either direction down the beach and there are nice restaurants.  But if you go right the Surf Hut is better. They have daily activities for kids, but there is no wilderness.

11 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We are at Camp Gulf right now. If you want to camp on the beach, can't get any closer then this. I like it because 15 minute walk in either direction down the beach and there are nice restaurants.  But if you go right the Surf Hut is better. They have daily activities for kids, but there is no wilderness.

Thanks.  Looked at their website.  We might consider it... but (for the price) I think we'd prefer Topsail.

On 3/16/2016 at 8:54 AM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thanks.  Looked at their website.  We might consider it... but (for the price) I think we'd prefer Topsail.

I would have done Topsail but there were no openings for Spring Break and the Fort was booked so it was Camp Gulf.  That is the one good thing about paying the high price at the Fort now. It made Camp Gulf prices not so bad. 

6 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

I would have done Topsail but there were no openings for Spring Break and the Fort was booked so it was Camp Gulf.  That is the one good thing about paying the high price at the Fort now. It made Camp Gulf prices not so bad. 

Gotcha ;)   We decided to go with a state park at Panama City Beach. .. in the car now, but I think the name is St. Andrews... we're trying there for Columbus Day weekend.