I rented a RV for our next trip. I have 2 questions. 

1. Do I need to put the rental company on my reservation or something like that, so they can check in before me?

2. When they do check in, can they request a change of loops? Ie, I tell the rental company id like loop 400. If wdw puts me in 1400 can rental co ask check in people to change?

im thinking of taking an early flight and arriving at the fort before allowed check in just to see where they have me. Get the loop i want ( hopefully) and call rental co and let them know, and we can go do what we want. 

10 minutes ago, Big35Lt said:

I rented a RV for our next trip. I have 2 questions. 

1. Do I need to put the rental company on my reservation or something like that, so they can check in before me?

2. When they do check in, can they request a change of loops? Ie, I tell the rental company id like loop 400. If wdw puts me in 1400 can rental co ask check in people to change?

im thinking of taking an early flight and arriving at the fort before allowed check in just to see where they have me. Get the loop i want ( hopefully) and call rental co and let them know, and we can go do what we want. 

It is my understanding that the rental company wont be able to check in for you. They wont be able to get your site number or set up until you check in. Disney made some changes a few months back. I know at the time there was talk of preferred vendors that would be able to set up before your arrival but I have never seen a list come out so not sure if that went anywhere. 

I would think the best source for that info would be the rental company themselves.  If they rent to people staying at the Fort on a regular basis, they would have an idea of how it is done.

I know in the past, the company I rented from was able to get the site number from check-in and be all set up before I arrived.  But I am not sure Disney allows that anymore. :(

4 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

It is my understanding that the rental company wont be able to check in for you. They wont be able to get your site number or set up until you check in.

I talked with one of the vendors back in October and that's what they were told in "the big meeting." It's possible things could have changed again since then, but I haven't heard anything new.

I've not seen a list of preferred vendors come out yet either.

As Marty mentioned, best to talk to your rental company directly for details. 

13 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

What is the benefit to Disney to prevent rental companies from checking guests in? OR- what could possibly have been the supposed reason for doing so?

I would assume that Disney is saying they are doing it for safety reasons.  We should all be wary of letting strangers know when and where we will be somewhere. :(

I would assume the real reason Disney is doing that is to discourage guests from renting from outside companies.  They would prefer that people use the cabins, which would be more money for them.

3 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

I would assume that Disney is saying they are doing it for safety reasons.  We should all be wary of letting strangers know when and where we will be somewhere. :(

I would assume the real reason Disney is doing that is to discourage guests from renting from outside companies.  They would prefer that people use the cabins, which would be more money for them.

Ok, if that's the reason they sold it- that's bunk. :D

But, the cabin rentals- I didn't think of that connection. I just knew Disney didn't rent trailers and the tents aren't equivalent. But the cabins.. yes, the $400/night cabins. I wonder, cost-wise, how much different they are from renting a site + a trailer (ignoring the pop-up side of things).

17 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

.. I wonder, cost-wise, how much different they are from renting a site + a trailer (ignoring the pop-up side of things).

Camper rentals (not including site) can run anywhere from $125-$165 (ish) per night. Site depends on time of year, but even figuring you're paying $100/nt, that's still probably cheaper than a cabin.  And if you have more than 6 people, a cabin isn't an option.

I'm not sure what reason the rental companies were given - if any, other than "because this is how it's going to be now."

24 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Camper rentals (not including site) can run anywhere from $125-$165 (ish) per night. Site depends on time of year, but even figuring you're paying $100/nt, that's still probably cheaper than a cabin.  And if you have more than 6 people, a cabin isn't an option.

I'm not sure what reason the rental companies were given - if any, other than "because this is how it's going to be now."

Yes, i was just guessing at a reason they gave.  Mo's reason is probably more likely.  

• 3 weeks later...