Renovations Coming to Fort Wilderness - 2100 Loop

I think it all depends on the time of year. When the kids are in school Fridays people seem to flood in and Sunday is a mass exodus. We stayed for 2 weeks around the end of September beginning of October 2015 and you could definitely tell the difference. Not that the Fort was empty by any means but a lot less people. 2014 we went for a couple of days mid week the second week of June and it was like a ghost town, we were 1 of 3 sites being used in the 700 loop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, you're right.  That is one fast Picture Thief! Good job, Picture Thief! Tell Denise and Ed TCD says Hi, and that they can come over here anytime if they'd like to get accurate informati

There's a shocker (not).  As TCD said, it wouldn't be the first time. Since the perpetrators are probably reading along... Hi there!!  We're so glad you find this site such a great source of

I vote fill it in and put up a Tiki bar!  

Posted Images

Just left the Fort yesterday after a great 2 weeks.  I have never seen so much work going on everywhere you look.  Not only at the Fort but elsewhere on the grounds.  If you remember as you pull into the Fort there is a service road to the left that is being paved.  I think it's the 2400 loop that is being repaved so it is closed.  Was in the Grand Floridian and they have torn out the carpeting on the ground floor center and it is being re-carpeted. Repaving has also been done in some of the cabin loops. The area on the right end of the meadows trading post had the asphalt removed and it's been repaved.  Looking forward to see some more shots of the cabin removal...  anyone :)

I guess I'll have to wait till next Jan to see what else has been upgraded.

On April 12, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Travisma said:

True possibly.  When Lou straightened me out, it was almost a year ago, around the time they did away with the overbook then cancel loophole.  So maybe by now the sites are filling up during the week.

Lots of open sites right now and the crowds at the MK were not too bad earlier today.

On 4/16/2016 at 10:37 PM, jruddell said:

If they don't stop at the 2100 loop I may be a dissenter and say "BOO." My family stays at the 2200 cabins because it's right by the bus stop so it's easier for our blind son to get around. That's where the pic came for my avatar. :-)

My guess is that it will only be the 2100 loop that gets changed. That loop was originally campsites way back when and will be relatively easy to change back.

The other cabin loops were built just for cabins. They don't have comfort stations or the RV hookups at each pad like 2100.

Plus, as Jason pointed out above, the cabins do still fill up at certain times.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:05 AM, ependydad...Doug said:

VSTOL?

Sorry about that; Vertical/Short Take Off Landing.  It is the short airstrip that is now used mainly for construction worker parking.  It's on the right as you near the entrance to Wilderness Lodge. 

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

There is another picture showing the ones they already pulled sitting on the old runway.

Thanks.  I was tempted to pull in and take a picture.  It was kind of sad seeing them just sitting there, but I am certainly not against more camp sites.

13 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Sorry about that; Vertical/Short Take Off Landing.  It is the short airstrip that is now used mainly for construction worker parking.  It's on the right as you near the entrance to Wilderness Lodge. 

Yep. Vertical short take off and landing. It used to be written on the runway.

1 hour ago, fotofx....Steve said:

Don't know where the "V" is coming from but it was just a STOL (Short Take Off and Landing)

Here is the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World_Airport

If you Google "Disney STOL" there are plenty of pics of the runway.

Yeah, I always add V for helicopters.  :)