NaCole, I asked David about this.  We used to have an F350.  He said to go to a dealer and talk to them.  He doesn't think this is something that has to be done immediately and there's a chance you can wait until you get back to Atlanta to get it fixed.  And he also said that price is too much.

He also said also go outside of the Orlando area to find a dealer for info.  

I have that truck, and that does sound a bit expensive. Also, make sure your DEF tank isn't running low. Sometimes, after a bit of towing, I get that low def warning. If I ignore it too long, it has caused my cel light to come on.

It seems to me that ford extended some warranty coverages due to injector problems. Hope you get lucky and it's totally covered. Major pixie dust your way.

1 hour ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

I need to double check my records but I had mine changed and don't think it was anywhere near that expensive. It's also a fairly easy job to do yourself since this cooler is MUCH easier to get to.

We've gotten a quote from a local diesel mechanic, two Ford dealers and two mechanics back home...best price to replace the cooler alone was $900, but apparently there is a valve that if that needs replacing, that's another $250 or so.  We're also getting mixed advice on driving the 450 mikes homes without fixing it.

1 hour ago, PGHFiend said:

High idle time is the culprit on these from what I've learned. Hopefully you make it home ok

Yes...we've read that too.

Here is the EGR Cooler Kit that Dorman sells, goes for about $260-300 depending where you get it and the EGR Valve is about another $150 aftermarket. Looks pretty straightforward for DIY. Part# if you're interested is Dorman 904-405.

One of the mechanics here said he wouldn't drive with it clogged, because it may heat up the oil cooler and you'll end up having to replace that too.

Best of luck

Best Regards,

Norm

904-405-007.jpg

Thanks Norm.  We decided to not chance the drive home and Tom is at the Ford dealership now.  Last night, our debate (besides fix now or drive it home) was...fix or just rip it all out.  We're fixing this time...but if it happens again, we'll probably rip it out.

16 hours ago, stacktester said:

Fords....smh. They just can't get them straighten out. I've got a 2013 Dodge with the def and it will soon be gone. Diesels just can't run so restricted. I'm sure this is why the previous owner dumped it. 

I have a 2012 f350 with 44,000 miles on it. Best truck I have ever owned not one problem. That said I am considering trading it for a Ram only because we want a mega cab.

Well... Tom picked it up from the dealership yesterday, drove it to The Fort and (on the way) the system went into the cleaning mode (can't remember what that's called...but it's where you get the notice and you're suppose to drive until it shuts off).  Well, the dealership was not super close, so that worked fine (plenty of time to drive it) except ...when it was done doing its thing, the check engine light came back on!!

Now he's taking more time and is driving the truck back to Ford.  Frustrating ?

It's the REGEN process that it goes through. Did they replace the EGR Valve when they replaced the cooler? The valve can carbon up from being clogged and possibly throw a code. The other thing it may be because we have replaced a few would be the DEF heater, but like I said just throwing things out there. Once again, best of luck.

Best Regards,

Norm

38 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

It's the REGEN process that it goes through. Did they replace the EGR Valve when they replaced the cooler? The valve can carbon up from being clogged and possibly throw a code. The other thing it may be because we have replaced a few would be the DEF heater, but like I said just throwing things out there. Once again, best of luck.

Best Regards,

Norm

I know the valve was discussed, but I'm not sure if they replaced it or not.

9 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

NaCole, when are you driving home?

Sunday....always a sad day but, besides the truck issues, it's been a great trip ?

18 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Good news, a hose had split and flipped the sensor; Ford replaced it at no cost.  Hopefully no other major repairs will come up.  Finishing up lunch at the Wilderness Lodge as I type ?

Late lunch?  I've already had dinner.  But I've been awake since 2 am.  Happy to hear you got the truck fixed.  Pray it's smooth sailing from here!

5 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Thank goodness, hope all goes smoothly from now on.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Late lunch?  I've already had dinner.  But I've been awake since 2 am.  Happy to hear you got the truck fixed.  Pray it's smooth sailing from here!

Haha... Yes, we call it "L-inner" ?

15 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Glad your truck is fixed 

Thank you!

14 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Glad your truck is fixed. Enjoy your last day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you...the last day is always a little sad.  We pack up the exterior items, so we don't have to do it in the morning, so there is no denying that the end of vacation is near.  Still...we have been blessed; it's been a wonderful trip ?

5 hours ago, stacktester said:

My truck has done that regen crap a couple of times and it's just like when it says it's going into 5 mph mode when the def fluid is low but only the dealer can fix it. 

I think it's suppose to go through the Regen cycle every few months...?

15 hours ago, bhall said:

Wow...you dodged an expensive fix there..

We were so thankful! The first repair was pricey enough ?