ICYMI: A New TCD Trip Report April 2016 at the Fort

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm back. I needed to take a break from the Board.  It wasn't you.  It was me. I thought I'd stay away for a few weeks, but it ended up being a couple of months.  But, I needed to be gone fo

Great report. My 14 year old was rather upset that I was going to Disney World for WWW and would be getting a GAG one night. I did when any good fiend and mom would do. I took a picture and shared it

I am starting a new movement.  We are calling ourselves "baldies".  I'm sure you can imagine what the criterion is for joining.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

And those cabanas they're building are going to be the Cabanas at Copper Creek.

Which means they're going to have to make themselves a creek, I guess.

Just meandering thoughts but would they be thinking of putting a lazy river or should I say lazy creek. That would be nice if guests at the Fort could use it too.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

And those cabanas they're building are going to be the Cabanas at Copper Creek.

Which means they're going to have to make themselves a creek, I guess.

It sounds like there will be more TCD visits to the Wilderness Lodge in the immediate future.

~~~~~

And that is that.

See you on the next TR.

TCD

I wonder if they will use the recently found\discovered mine cars for a "copper mine" theme?

On 5/19/2016 at 11:18 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Something weird going on here with my post.  I can't figure it out.

Anyway, thank you for these sunny, warm pictures.  I wish you had just one more batch to get me through another cool, rainy day tomorrow!

6 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Just meandering thoughts but would they be thinking of putting a lazy river or should I say lazy creek. That would be nice if guests at the Fort could use it too.

Blasphemy!  Stinky slimy camper people using the $3000 a night cabin facilities( even though some of the RV's would put the cabins to shame)!  You must be off your meds...

As always, thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us. Glad to have you back, for those of us that can't get to the Fort all that often (translated to haven't been in 8 years now) your reports really do mean a lot and are enjoyed immensely.

I will go sit in the corner now and wait for the next one. :rolleyes: 

Thanks for the report, full of great information as usual.

I got the email today that announced the name change for VWL. I think the two separate names seals the fate of current VWL owners like myself that the new addition will be an entirely separate entity (which basically means we get screwed out of things like the 11 month booking window for the new accommodations).

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Blasphemy!  Stinky slimy camper people using the $3000 a night cabin facilities( even though some of the RV's would put the cabins to shame)!  You must be off your meds...

But the doctor said as long as I stay away from anything that is sharp and pointy it would be ok.

Great report. My 14 year old was rather upset that I was going to Disney World for WWW and would be getting a GAG one night. I did when any good fiend and mom would do. I took a picture and shared it with her.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You can now buy your own personal pie or cake right at Trail's End take-out. When I asked they told me that the had apple, cherry and pecan pies.  I didn't ask about the cakes, sorry.  I'll do that next time.  But for now, here's what an $18 pecan pie looks like:

5%2015%2016%20217_zpsly5wo3m1.jpg

I guess that isn't bad for Disney prices.  Seems like 3 cupcakes would cost more than that, right?

I need to see that $35 cake though.

I'm sorry but $18 for a pie and $35 for a cake is beyond extreme - even for Disney where we are all being conditioned to accept for a whole lot more for a whole lot less - but holy *^*^*^ smoke!!!  It  had better have gold flakes sprinkled on it!

Thanks for the 11 new things at the Fort - 

Disneys plan is to call the pie free with a rack rate campsite, then raise the campsite fee 20 bucks a night.   People will beg to get their "free" pie.

Couple of thoughts now that I am finally caught up.

The new bridge at Disney Springs is nice, but it is in glaring sun.  A cover would be a welcome addition.

I think I asked at TomorrowLand Terrace and was told we could still use those restrooms during the Dessert Party.

Can't wait for a new epic TR!

On 5/21/2016 at 2:57 PM, Santa ... Shannon said:

Is the Vista Blvd "bypass" rumor going to involve a dedicated lane that perhaps does not go through the parking plaza? Have missed the rumors somehow.

Yep, separate lane for the FORT.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:25 AM, GradyBunch said:

Well done TCD.

Thanks for reading.

And thanks for the compliment.

Check back late next week, and maybe there will be a new TCD TR started.

Or maybe not.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:06 PM, dblr....Rennie said:

As always a great trip report thanks!!!!!!!!

Thank you Rennie, that's very kind of you to say.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:34 PM, keith_h said:

A lazy river running through the resort would be pretty cool.

But, I don't see them doing that.

It would be too hard to keep the riff-raff out.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:38 PM, Helmsey......Todd said:

I wonder if they will use the recently found\discovered mine cars for a "copper mine" theme?

I thought the same thing.

And I wonder if those things were really accidentally found at the site, or if they were brought in early to be put in place early in the construction.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Something weird going on here with my post.  I can't figure it out.

Anyway, thank you for these sunny, warm pictures.  I wish you had just one more batch to get me through another cool, rainy day tomorrow!

Yeah, some stuff doesn't work the way it used to.

I hope the weather has improved up your way, as I don't currently have any sunny and warm photos to share.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, Travisma said:

Absolutely true.  In order to sell these units, they are going to need some exclusive amenities.  I am guessing that whatever those are will not even be available to WL guests, and certainly not to FW guests.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, blm2003 said:

As always, thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us. Glad to have you back, for those of us that can't get to the Fort all that often (translated to haven't been in 8 years now) your reports really do mean a lot and are enjoyed immensely.

I will go sit in the corner now and wait for the next one. :rolleyes: 

8 years!

Wow.

I hope you are able to get back soon.

And don't get too comfortable in the corner, I am hoping there will be a new TR started by late next week. 

But, I have to make that trip first.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:03 PM, dvccamper said:

Thanks for the report, full of great information as usual.

I got the email today that announced the name change for VWL. I think the two separate names seals the fate of current VWL owners like myself that the new addition will be an entirely separate entity (which basically means we get screwed out of things like the 11 month booking window for the new accommodations).

Wow, that stinks.

The current owners lose a lot of the seclusion and wilderness that made the Villas at Wilderness Lodge attractive, and what do they get in return?  A more crowded resort, and a view of the private lakeside cabanas that the new people will have the exclusive right to enjoy?

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:55 PM, LONE-STAR said:

Nice report. I agree I don't like them roping off the Tomorrowland Terrace 

I guess we will just have to get used to Tomorrowland Terrace being roped off for the dessert parties.  It might be interesting to see what they do on super-crowded nights.  I'll bet they'll still have it roped off.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:02 PM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Good report TCD and I don't like the roping off of that area either.  It's our go to walk way to Tomorrow Land also.

Maybe we should start a petition?

LOL.  Like that would do any good.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:34 PM, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Great report. My 14 year old was rather upset that I was going to Disney World for WWW and would be getting a GAG one night. I did when any good fiend and mom would do. I took a picture and shared it with her.

Wow, that's cold.

I hope you at least brought a piece of chicken home for her.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, lightbikes said:

I'm sorry but $18 for a pie and $35 for a cake is beyond extreme - even for Disney where we are all being conditioned to accept for a whole lot more for a whole lot less - but holy *^*^*^ smoke!!!  It  had better have gold flakes sprinkled on it!

Thanks for the 11 new things at the Fort - 

You know what?

You're right.

I have grown so accustomed to Disney prices that I thought $18 for a pie didn't sound so bad.  But, that is probably three or four times what those pies are actually worth.

If I get a chance, I am going to find out what a $35 cake looks like.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:08 AM, ftwildernessguy said:

Disneys plan is to call the pie free with a rack rate campsite, then raise the campsite fee 20 bucks a night.   People will beg to get their "free" pie.

Disney really ought to hire you.

An idea like that is right in line with current management practices.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:58 AM, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Couple of thoughts now that I am finally caught up.

The new bridge at Disney Springs is nice, but it is in glaring sun.  A cover would be a welcome addition.

I think I asked at TomorrowLand Terrace and was told we could still use those restrooms during the Dessert Party.

Can't wait for a new epic TR!

You are right about that bridge.

It was brutal in the direct sunlight while ordering and waiting for our food at BB Wolf's.  And that new Aristo Crepes place has the same problem.

But this lack of shade for guests has a precedent in that new Harambe Market area at AKL.  Same deal there- the CM's are inside air-conditioned booths, and the guests are outside in the direct sunlight with absolutely no shade.  It's not the way things used to be done.

That's interesting that the CM's say you can still go in and use the restrooms at Tomorrowland Terrace.  I'll bet 99% of guests would not even bother walking up to that rope to ask- plus there are restrooms right outside  the roped-off area closest to The Plaza restaurant.  The problem is that those restrooms are now way busier.  And there are no restrooms very close to the Tomorrowland side.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I've been planning to register for the free cupcake. I wonder if the line will be shorter once the "new" wears off a bit.

The TCD twins hit up Sprinkles for their free cupcakes this past Saturday, May 21.  They said they had a brief wait to get in, but nothing like we saw the week before.

The did report that Deluxe Burgers was swamped, with a really long line.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:53 PM, Santa ... Shannon said:

There are two new solar installations, the one nearest the monorail is the less-interesting.

c15163ed50a3852d3e2a86304b460676.jpg

Thanks, Shannon.

I didn't realize that there were two solar installations -I thought that it was all connected.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:57 PM, Santa ... Shannon said:

Is the Vista Blvd "bypass" rumor going to involve a dedicated lane that perhaps does not go through the parking plaza? Have missed the rumors somehow.

It's not a rumor anymore.  See the second page of this thread:

16 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

Maybe I missed this, but when did they put up monitors on the bus stops?

They have been popping up at the resorts since last year.

The Fort has one monitor, and it is at the Outpost Bus Stop.

TCD

Off brand ketchup uses real sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup.. Win!  The last packet of Heinz ketchup I got this past weekend in OCMD did not use Sugar but HFCS instead.  Oh, Great TR.

What a great, great report! It's so great to see you back in the game, TCD. Thanks for all the time and hard effort you put into it. Your photography is somehow even better than ever.

So many things to comment on. Too many. I agree with your assessment of Disney Springs. In my mind, it's a bit of an escalator to nowhere. Lots of impractical, grossly overpriced shops like "The Art of Shaving," where you can buy a $50 disposable razor. But like you say, you can't blame Disney for trying. Every time a guest leaves property for a competing shopping destination, that's cash they're bleeding.

Disney Springs is very impressive architecture for a bunch of impractical shops and about 8,000 restaurants, all competing against each other for the same growling stomachs.

When I get some free time, I'll have to post a report on my most recent trip to the Fort, the Troll's Vacation to HellTM.

Thanks again. Already excited to read the next.