11 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

That is awesome! I'm keeping an eye out for one of these in consignment sales and Facebook yard sale pages. My artsy crafty daughter would love this and I could put her to work making Christmas presents for our extended family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check woot daily, they have had them on sale more than once. Also Amazons daily sales.  Sign up for their (Cricut, cameo) web sites they have sales also.

• 3 weeks later...

My SIL gave me a Cameo lesson this weekend. She just made a ton of stuff for her daughter's wedding. 

Now I must have one.  Her daughter also has one that she has never taken out of the box. My SIL says she will probably sell it to me when her first rent payment is due.  :lol:

I didn't know besides cutting the vinyl stuff I could also cut fabric for my sewing projects. Maybe Santa can bring me one if the other one doesn't pan out.

3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

My wife has been cutting contact paper, sticking it onto t-shirts, then using silk screen ink to "print" an image.  They are 1 shot ones, but she was only making shirts for nieces and nephews for school graduations.

Interesting.  

I know my SIL was using a glitter iron-on type vinyl with a heat press to make T-shirts.

She also made her husband happy by making decals for his boat. :D

• 10 months later...

So, I finally got a Cameo. My SIL sent me a hot tip on a good deal on Amz last week. It just came today but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Gotta find a spot in my sewing room to put it! I have joined 4 different FB groups (2 specifically for beginners) and have looked for tutorials on YouTube. It is overwhelming.

On 4/24/2017 at 7:07 PM, CJHokie said:

So, I finally got a Cameo. My SIL sent me a hot tip on a good deal on Amz last week. It just came today but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Gotta find a spot in my sewing room to put it! I have joined 4 different FB groups (2 specifically for beginners) and have looked for tutorials on YouTube. It is overwhelming.

Check the Cricut sites also.  The machines are different but similar and a lot of the designs are interchangeable.

The latest my wife found is users are replacing the cutter blade with a carbide tipped scribe pencil, then taping metal plates to the mat, and "etching" designs onto the plates.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Check the Cricut sites also.  The machines are different but similar and a lot of the designs are interchangeable.

The latest my wife found is users are replacing the cutter blade with a carbide tipped scribe pencil, then taping metal plates to the mat, and "etching" designs onto the plates.

Yeah, I just bought a Cricut mat because I read they are cheaper and last longer. We shall see.

I also bought a couple of Craftsy classes, one on general things and one focused more on the Studio software. I have done some quilting classes on Craftsy and they are pretty helpful. Am waiting for some supplies I ordered online to get started on that. 

5 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

Yeah, I just bought a Cricut mat because I read they are cheaper and last longer. We shall see.

I also bought a couple of Craftsy classes, one on general things and one focused more on the Studio software. I have done some quilting classes on Craftsy and they are pretty helpful. Am waiting for some supplies I ordered online to get started on that. 

There are also 2 or 3 software upgrades (that cost) that gives you more options on doing different things.

yes those mats are cheaper, and there are different methods of cleaning and "re-stickying" your mats.  

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they have some helpful tools.  They have a set of different shaped dental type picks for weeding your design. 

Some people purchase auto body filler applicators to smooth out the designs onto different surfaces. They are like plastic spatulas without handles.  My wife usually uses old credit cards.

I purchased her a light box for Christmas.  You lay the cut design on the light box before you start weeding and the light shines thru the outlines that were cut.

Finding good inexpensive vinyl is a challenge.  Try some commercial sign shops in your area and ask them what they do with their scraps.

I know I asked before and think you sent me one, do you have the svg's on the Disney things she made? does she mind sharing them? let me know. I have been trying to make some things for our new to us MH but sort of got lazy, plus I couldn't make up my mind on what colors to use. The wood is beautiful in it, but dark. I wanted to use something bright, so I picked red, well that doesn't really lighten it up. I brought a comforter for the bed and picked yellow, that helped, so I began running with yellow. then I realized I did black, red, yellow guess who's colors that matches?

8 hours ago, LORNADUCK said:

I know I asked before and think you sent me one, do you have the svg's on the Disney things she made? does she mind sharing them? let me know. I have been trying to make some things for our new to us MH but sort of got lazy, plus I couldn't make up my mind on what colors to use. The wood is beautiful in it, but dark. I wanted to use something bright, so I picked red, well that doesn't really lighten it up. I brought a comforter for the bed and picked yellow, that helped, so I began running with yellow. then I realized I did black, red, yellow guess who's colors that matches?

Pm me your email