• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Umm, where I live you've just described the menu at a family reunion. 

You get a seat for a 30 minute excursion plus free ice cream and a bottle of water for only $299. Only $399 for Paddling with the Pyrotechnics which includes a fireworks viewing dessert party.  

With all this mystery meat and sewer hose talk, I couldn't remember what this thread was actually started about.  So I scrolled back.  It was about a canoe.   LOL.   We've gone off the rails

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Here's another interesting Instagram photo.  This one was posted about 10 weeks ago, which would put it around late February or early March of this year- it shows a private party set up on Clementine's Beach for something called Service Heroes 15:

clemintine%20beach%20party_zps0vf3nxzh.j

Looks pretty nice!

TCD

I think someone you know worked that party. 

10 hours ago, Beckers said:

For $3,000 a night you can listen to the ferry all day long. Must be fun to here that when it starts in the morning. 

I love the sounds of the boats at the fort but they seem to be off in the distance vs how close this appears

We had noticed that on a previous trip.  The ferry docks right next to them.  We were heading to the MK yesterday around 5:30 and noticed not a single person was enjoying their decks or fancy swinging chairs.

• 1 month later...

This thread started with a photo of a big canoe docked at the Fort Wilderness Marina.

I'm still not 100% sure what this is all about, but it seems that there is an elaborate canoe race series being hosted in Bay Lake this month.  There are loads of recent Instagram photos being posted.  Here's a sampling:

canoe%20sprints.1_zpsfwaenhlb.jpg

canoe%20sprints.2_zpsn2jkn0w9.jpg

canoe%20sprints.3_zpsgd0tjsvj.jpg

canoe%20sprints.4_zpsdgqgtoqn.jpg

This account has a bunch of photos:  https://www.instagram.com/crowspn/

And here's the interesting thing- all of this is going on while they are busy spending millions of dollars installing wooden post and rope fences all along the lake shore to keep guests away from all the gators in the lake.

TCD

They've had the cast canoe competitions for years, sometimes around the Rivers of America.  We got back yesterday from the Fort and all of the water activities such as the water sprites and para sailing were in full force.  Kind of adds a new thrill to be para sailing over a lake with alligators.  :lol:

I think the fence is more of a liability control addition.  As someone else here posted, in Florida a fence is the same as a no trespassing sign.  Plus, if a person ignores signs AND goes around a fence, there's really nobody to blame but them.

I was disappointed to see the trail from the Settlement Trading post to the Bat House closed this trip.  I hope it is temporary.  That's one of my favorite walks.

23 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

They've had the cast canoe competitions for years, sometimes around the Rivers of America.  We got back yesterday from the Fort and all of the water activities such as the water sprites and para sailing were in full force.  Kind of adds a new thrill to be para sailing over a lake with alligators.  :lol:

Yes, I've heard about the CM canoe races in the Rivers of America, but this appears to be something new and different and happening entirely at the Fort and in Bay Lake:

canoe%20sprints.5_zps4aoi1th6.jpg

TCD

5 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yes, I've heard about the CM canoe races in the Rivers of America, but this appears to be something new and different and happening entirely at the Fort and in Bay Lake:

canoe%20sprints.5_zps4aoi1th6.jpg

TCD

Interesting.  I thought I remembered my wife getting emails about canoe races in the lake in years past.  Maybe I'm mistaken or perhaps this is a different format from previous years.  Thanks for posting that.  

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:52 AM, Discamper said:

That is the old  Marshmallow Marsh canoes

Really?

Those are the size of the canoes still in use at Disneyland for their Davy Crockett canoes, and I assume that the ones that used to be at the MK were the same, but I can't imagine these large canoes in the canals at the Fort.  How could they even turn them around?

TCD

17 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

LOL.  I guess that worked!

TCD

We went on Marshmallow Marsh Excursion back in 1977.  You went from behind the trading post out to the shed at the end of the canal.  I think Discamper is correct, I don't remember turning them around, but then again I have a hard time remembering what day it is sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another Instagram find.

This guy is camped at the Fort with some kind of souped-up tear drop camper:

Here's a video tour of his campsite.  I'd like to see how those flat roofs did in a Florida rainstorm:

Pretty cool looking, but is this guy sponsored by Subaru or something?

You'd think they'd want to sponsor someone who knows how to set up a campsite and a tent.

TCD

Spiffy!  But yeah, how does that all work when you get a "can't see across your campsite" amount of rain in a hurry?

We were camping in MA this past weekend and our awning broke when it poured buckets in a really short amount of time and the "automatic dump" didn't dump fast enough.  Thank goodness for insurance!

• 2 weeks later...