Thrill Runs the Disney Resorts: A Trip Report

On 6/4/2016 at 11:06 AM, Thrill Shakespeare (Andy) said:

Hello My Fiendish Friends,

I am finally emerging from my long exile.  I had to buckle down last summer and fall to complete my doctoral dissertation and then got into my usual crazy season of play direction. Now, thankfully, I am Dr. Thrill, the plays are directed, and summer is here.

DramaMama (my much better half), the Shakespearelets, and I are at the Fort for an astounding TWO WEEKS!  I've been coming to the Fort since the 70s and have never been able to stay so long.  However, we decided that we would take several celebrations and cram them into one trip.  So, this is the celebration of our 15th anniversary, my Ph.D. graduation, Shakespearelet #1's 5th grade graduation, DramaMama's teacher certification, and whatever else we could think of to justify two glorious weeks.

I'm sure DramaMama will be along soon to write a normal trip report, and I will probably hop on that thread to comment too.  However, I wanted to do something different over here.  Since I have so much time this trip it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do something I have always wanted to do: Run at every Disney resort!

For those of you who don't know my background, I am a marathoner and ultra-marathon with more than 40 races of distances ranging from 26.2 to 63 miles.  In the words of Baymax, "I am not fast, but I am strong."  Unfortunately, my dissertation push and crazy directing schedule combined with my own natural inertia to largely keep me from running over the last 9 months or so.  I have gained plenty of weight and am not amused with how I feel or look.  Over the last few weeks I have set about trying to become a runner again.  I discovered to my great relief that I can still run and for decent distances.  I have become even slower, which is impressive.  But, I can still relentlessly move forward.  This is a good thing!

So, to motivate myself to exercise at Disney, I am going to attempt to run at every resort. I plan to write up my adventures as I go here.  The cool thing about running at Disney is how differently you see things you have gone past a thousand times before.  I hope to share some interesting observations and pictures from my foot-travels.  My hope is that you will all keep me accountable to going on with my challenge!

Want to come along?  Just think, you can run the resorts without leaving your chair.

Coming up next: Running Episode 1: Four Resorts and Only One Near-Death Experience

-- Thrill Shakespeare

Sounds like a fun time being at the Fort for 2 weeks. The running not as much but I will be sure to read along. 

16 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Well I'm tired, and sore just from reading that. But can't wait to continue reading along.

That was my thought. And at one point I thought "Wait, he means he's going to every resort on the same day?!"  

Enjoying this also. I don't run but have 2 sons who do. They would love to try this, I'm sure.

Sorry to have taken so long between updates, but I got frustrated.  Not by the running -- by the Fort Wilderness WiFi.  I completed an entire installment and lost it when I submitted it because the signal had fizzled out.  I am now back at home and ready to get caught up!

But before I do, DramaMama made a great suggestion.  She thought you might be interested in seeing the maps of my runs.  So, here are two maps of my first resort run:

pnkObQvtj

Map version.

pmokkaP2j

Satellite version.

On 6/11/2016 at 5:13 PM, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Enjoying reading along, but I can't see the photos on my phone. :( It maybe my wifi, which is not up to what it should be for a house full of teenagers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I think the problem was on my end.  Apparently the links I used to my photos were only temporary.  I think I have a more permanent solution in place now!