Typhoon Lagoon possible expansion

Lots of "sources" are reporting a possible expansion of Typhoon Lagoon.

Here's a couple of different articles

Paperwork has been filed with the various agencies to add an expansion on the back side of the park.

Walt Disney World's Typhoon Lagoon water park looks to be gearing up for an expansion on 2.28 acres of land just north of the existing park boundaries.

The theme park giant's plans include the "construction of new guest areas, including a water feature. Sidewalks and landscaped areas will be provided for guest access," according to state records. "The project under consideration is a new family raft ride that is to be located west of the Crush N Gusher ride," said an engineering document included with the plans.

======================================================================================

BREAKING: Typhoon Lagoon Expansion Planned with New Family Raft Ride

According to permits filed by Disney with the South Florida Water Management District, there is a 2 acre expansion of Typhoon Lagoon water park on the way…

According to the document, the plans include “construction of new guest areas, including a water feature. Sidewalks and landscaped areas will be provided for guest access.” The main attraction in the new area is highlighted as “a new family raft ride that is to be located west of the Crush N Gusher ride.” The ride would take place in an elevated flume/track. The graphic below shows the ride area in green overlaid on an aerial view of Typhoon Lagoon.  The ride itself will be located to the west of Crush N Gusher, and a lot of the associated walkways will occupy the current sandy area near the exit pool from Crush N Gusher.

Disney has not announced this project yet, but filing these permits is the first step in the construction process.

Link to the second article with the plans and an aerial view

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/breaking-typhoon-lagoon-expansion-planned-with-new-family-raft-ride/

Good job, Mark.

My favorite part about that link you posted is the comments where the Disney Fan Bois are arguing about who plagiarized whom.

As for the substance of the article- Typhoon Lagoon could use a better family raft ride.  It's hard to tell from the documents posted what this one will look like, but hopefully it will be better than what they have there now.

TCD

There was another Disney fan site that was on my FB feed (and now I can't find it) that had a better in depth look at the way both of the water parks have been left at the wayside in expansions..

Last one at Typhoon was 2005, and Blizzard has never had one, and has been having mechanical issues.

Supposedly these are the 2 most visited water parks in the world.

There is speculation that this is happening to fight Universals new water park.

I hope that is true. We just got back from the Fort a couple weeks ago and went to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach both and there's no contest... the family raft ride is considerably better at BB than TL, which is WAAAY too short. I do like the ambiance and the wave pool at TL better than BB.

• 1 month later...

It's not a rumor anymore!

The Disney Parks Blog just announced a new family raft ride will be opening in March, 2017 at Typhoon Lagoon:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/08/new-miss-fortune-falls-attraction-coming-to-disneys-typhoon-lagoon-in-march-2017/

MissFortuneLogoColor

Tue, August 2, 2016

New ‘Miss Fortune Falls’ Attraction Coming to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon in March 2017

Allison Montgomery

by Allison Montgomery, Editorial Content Coordinator, Walt Disney World Resort

I have exciting news to share with you today. A brand new attraction called Miss Fortune Falls is coming to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon in spring of 2017!

Miss Fortune Falls will be a family-style raft attraction that takes guests on a splashing journey through the fabled Captain Mary Oceanear’s past. Legend has it that Captain Oceanear, a treasure-hunting heroine, travelled across the sea collecting unique artifacts before she became stranded at Typhoon Lagoon many years ago by a rogue storm.

Onboard treasure rafts, guests will ascend to the top of the attraction before plunging into a white-water adventure where they will be able to spot some of the treasures Captain Oceanear gathered from around the world.

With a ride time of two minutes, Miss Fortune Falls will be among the lengthiest attractions at both Disney Water Parks.

I can’t wait to share more details about this new addition to Typhoon Lagoon as they emerge, so stay tuned!

TCD

4 minutes ago, Memphis said:

A good Family Raft Ride is so overdue at TL.  The one they have now is a joke.  It is just there so they can try and sell pictures.  Love FRR at BB.  I hope this new one can compare.

I agree. According to the Blog post, this new ride "will be among the lengthiest attractions at both Disney Waterparks."  I think it's significant that they are not saying it will be longer than Teamboat Springs at Blizzard Beach.  I interpret what they're saying is that it will be lengthier than the current lame family raft ride at Typhoon Lagoon.  But that's not saying much.

Still, it's about time the waterparks got some attention.

TCD

This is mildly interesting- if you click on the actual link to the Blog post, above, you will see that the headline for the article has been changed.

The headline originally said that the new attraction would open in March, 2017.  What I posted above was a cut and paste of the article.

Now, the headline has been changed to say that it is opening in Spring, 2017.  As  I recall, that is Disney-Speak which tells us that it might be June 19th before this thing opens.

TCD

• 5 months later...

Interesting:

MissFortuneLogoColor

Miss Adventure Falls Coming to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park

They apparently renamed the new raft ride.

And gave the parrot a red bandana.  What does that mean?

But, they are saying March 2017 again:

And early spring at Walt Disney World Resort this year also means shedding your winter jackets and heading to the water parks and riding a brand new attraction at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon called Miss Adventure Falls. The new family-style raft attraction – set to open in March – will be one of the longest Disney water park experiences as it immerses you in the story of treasure-hunting heroine Captain Mary Oceaneer. During each white-water adventure, you’ll be able to spot some of the treasures Captain Oceaneer gathered from around the world. More details.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/01/spring-has-sprung-early-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

A link in that blog post takes you to the official Disney site, and this illustration, which I don't remember seeing before:

An illustrated rendition of the Miss Adventure Falls attraction at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/typhoon-lagoon/miss-adventure-falls/

TCD

20 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'm pretty sure this new ride is being built on the site of Shark Reef.

TCD

When we were there in October, we could see the new ride was being built near the shark Reef, but not at the same location.  If you had your back towards the wave pool and were looking at the Shrk Reef, the construction was taking place to the right and a bit further back.  Perhaps some supporting buildings or stores will replace Shark Reef once the other construction is done.

5 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

When we were there in October, we could see the new ride was being built near the shark Reef, but not at the same location.  If you had your back towards the wave pool and were looking at the Shrk Reef, the construction was taking place to the right and a bit further back.  Perhaps some supporting buildings or stores will replace Shark Reef once the other construction is done.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I found this photo on the WDW News Today Site, and it shows that the new raft ride is very close to the Crushin' Gusher slides, and doesn't appear to be using any of the Shark Reef area:

TLaerial.png

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/breaking-typhoon-lagoon-expansion-planned-with-new-family-raft-ride/tlaerial/

It looks like the area north of where the actual ride will be is going to be a detention pond and other support for the ride, which will take up back-stage area.

Like you said, maybe the stuff that was in that back-stage area will be relocated to where Shark Reef was?

Another possibility is that it looks like the new ride will take up the open space that used to be adjacent to Crushin' Gusher.  That had a lot of sand and lounge chairs and some shelters.  They will need some space for those things, and perhaps that is what the Shark Reef area will become- just replacement seating.

TCD

10 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Hmmm.... so maybe we SHOULD add the water parks onto our APs :rolleyes:

This new raft ride sounds like it would be perfect for your family.

But, I imagine the lines will be long!

That makes the AP a good idea- head in there for a waterpark rope drop, then scram when it gets busy.  Or, go right before park close.  Also, I'll bet this will siphon off some of the crowds from Blizzard Beach, so you can hop over there and ride their family raft ride, which sounds like it is still going to be better than this new one.

TCD

43 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That makes the AP a good idea- head in there for a waterpark rope drop, then scram when it gets busy.  Or, go right before park close.  Also, I'll bet this will siphon off some of the crowds from Blizzard Beach, so you can hop over there and ride their family raft ride, which sounds like it is still going to be better than this new one.

Thank you for the tip!!

23 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

^^^^This, especially regarding going before closing.

• 1 month later...

The new slide opens in 10 days!

New ‘Miss Adventure Falls’ Attraction to Open March 12 at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park

Allison Montgomery

Last summer, we shared the exciting news that Miss Adventure Falls, a new family-style raft attraction, is coming to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park this spring. Well, construction is almost complete and I’m happy to announce that the attraction will open March 12!

As the final touches to Miss Adventure Falls are being added during the next few weeks, we will give you an exclusive first look at some of the unique artifacts collected by Captain Mary Oceaneer – a sea-faring treasure hunter whose haul was caught in a rogue typhoon.

Here’s a sneak peek at Captain Mary Oceaneer’s dive bell, just one of the many items from her journeys around the world.

New ‘Miss Adventure Falls’ Attraction to Open March 12 at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park

It’s one of the precious treasures you will spot from your four-person raft, as you twist and turn on this fun-filled white-water experience.

We’ll be sharing more details about this thrilling water adventure as we count down to the opening date on March 12, so keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for more updates!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/03/new-miss-adventure-falls-attraction-to-open-march-12-at-disneys-typhoon-lagoon-water-park/

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

As advertised, the new family raft ride at Typhone Lagone opened right on schedule yesterday!

Miss Adventure Falls Opens Today at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park

Allison Montgomery

The big day is finally here, and we are thrilled to take you aboard Miss Adventure Falls, the new family raft attraction now open at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park!

This fast-paced waterslide takes you on a journey where you are sure to spot some of Captain Mary Oceaneer’s prized finds, have a blast and of course, get wet!

Miss Adventure Falls Opens Today at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park Miss Adventure Falls Opens Today at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park

As a world-famous oceanographer and member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (S.E.A), Captain Mary made it her goal to sail the seven seas and collect treasures to share with the rest of the world. Typhoon Lagoon became the home to Captain Mary’s ship after a rogue typhoon swept it and some of her artifacts to shore, where the locals then repurposed the goods and statues to create this family raft adventure.

Miss Adventure Falls Opens Today at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park

Along the way, you’ll see Captain Mary’s parrot and trusted diving partner, Duncan, who now lives inside of the shipwreck and continues the treasure-hunting tradition. He’s busy chatting, singing and keeping an eye out for even more treasure.

Check out our video to see what fun lies in store for you on Miss Adventure Falls!

In addition to all of the great times you can have at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon, you can also visit our second themed, family-friendly water park, Disney’s Blizzard Beach. And when both water parks are open, you may come and go between them as you please—happy water park-hopping!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/03/miss-adventure-falls-opens-today-at-disneys-typhoon-lagoon-water-park/

The ride looks fun- I like how you get to ride the raft up the conveyor belt instead of having to climb up a bunch of stairs like you do with the other raft rides at the WDW water parks.

Now we know that the parrot is named Duncan.  But why?

That last sentence about water park-hopping is interesting.  I think they're saying you can hop between the water parks with a regular one-day admission.  I think that's new.

TCD