Plaza Restaurant Changes to ADRs

Plaza Restaurant at Magic Kingdom Moving Away From ADRs, Walk-Up Availability Only

With the Skipper Canteen recently abolishing long term plans to only be available for walk-up guests or same day reservations, it seems Plaza Restaurant will now be adopting the model.

While existing ADRs will be honored, future reservations can only be made for one hour a day, between 11:00AM and 12:00PM in the afternoon. Otherwise, the restaurant will now only be taking walk-in guests or those with pre-existing ADRs that have been booked in advance for the next 180 days. We assume once all pre-booked ADRs are honored, the Plaza Restaurant will become available only via walk-up.

For years, spontaneous guests have complained about little availability around Walt Disney World for walk-ups at table service establishments, so this may be Disney’s first attempt to appease guests who oppose pre-planning.

Skipper Canteen recently moved to the 180-day reservations to improve attendance at the restaurant in an attempt to stave off the “dumbing down” of the menu that has been rumored as of late.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/plaza-restaurant-at-magic-kingdom-moving-away-from-adrs-walk-up-availability-only/

52 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I wish they would do like 1/2 and 1/2 or something.

Agreed.

I wonder how much of this comes out of people who didn't realize you have to book ADRs way ahead complaining that they "paid all this money" and can't get a place to eat?  After all, if the marketing works (and they've been pushing the "all inclusive" with the dining plan heavily) you can be sure that a decent percentage of those people have no idea you have to plan table service dining out months in advance, especially in the parks.

2 hours ago, Beckers said:

That sucks. I wish they would do like 1/2 and 1/2 or something. I like having adrs because I know we will have one sit down meal where adam's allergies can be easily addressed and with more flexibility on options than counter service 

I like this idea.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Agreed.

I wonder how much of this comes out of people who didn't realize you have to book ADRs way ahead complaining that they "paid all this money" and can't get a place to eat?  After all, if the marketing works (and they've been pushing the "all inclusive" with the dining plan heavily) you can be sure that a decent percentage of those people have no idea you have to plan table service dining out months in advance, especially in the parks.

Or it could be to do with the guests who live locally and decided at the last minute to go to WDW today.  Advance planning does not work then.

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

What do you want to bet that even with the ADR, I'll be treated just like a walk-up guest and have a long wait to be seated?

TCD

When we went in feb we showed up 30 mins early and were seated 30 mins passed our ADR. I was not happy.

2 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I like this idea.

Or it could be to do with the guests who live locally and decided at the last minute to go to WDW today.  Advance planning does not work then.

True, and it would be nice if most table service restaurants held at least a few spots for walk-ups.

Although if this is in response to "Guest demand" -  I'd guess that locals know it's a roll of the dice to get a walk-up inside the parks and are less likely to squawk about it, vs the folks that drop a fortune on the magical Disney vacation the commercial sold them on, do zero research, and just show up and expect a table.

10 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

True, and it would be nice if most table service restaurants held at least a few spots for walk-ups.

Although if this is in response to "Guest demand" -  I'd guess that locals know it's a roll of the dice to get a walk-up inside the parks and are less likely to squawk about it, vs the folks that drop a fortune on the magical Disney vacation the commercial sold them on, do zero research, and just show up and expect a table.

True, I would not be happy if I had gone to all that planning and making a time schedule (aka...Marty) to have to wait.

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

If you book with Disney  and either buy or get free dining do they ever tell you how important ADR are if you want to eat in a park? I could see people would think oh I have meal credits I can just eat wherever.

I'm not sure about booking directly from Disney, but I have heard cases of folks booking through AAA or travel agents not very familiar with bookingDisney, who give them bad or no advice along those lines.  Thankfully only the awesome TAs hang out here.  ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...