2 year old boy grabbed and taken by gator at Grand Floridian

This is terrible. I feel for the parents and can't imagine what they are going through. 

10 minutes ago, BigTom said:

While they do offer water sports, it is only in daytime. Gators feed mostly at night. Someone splashing in shallow water is an invitation for a gator to come and get it. Never go in Florida lakes after it starts to get dark and be careful around edges of lakes.

In particular if you are fishing never reach for the fish over the water. You don't know if a gator followed that fish on your line and will make a lunge for it when it comes out of the water.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As much as it hurts, and brings up very bad memories, this story is stacking up to be very true. The father has wounds from wrestling with the gator to try and rescue his son. This family needs lots o

I am the first to point the finger at the Disney corporation when it does something wrong, but I don't think it's fair to point the finger here. Look at what Disney did when the thought there was

Too many people blame the parents.  It was a horrific accident and I grieve for them.  But, I don;t blame them.  I grew up in Florida.  I understand alligators are everywhere but never thought about i

Posted Images

Taken from CNN and something to always think about, no matter how much Disney watches / hunts for gators.  Jeff Corwin, a noted national animal expert, said he was surprised this happened so close to a highly regulated area but noted there are millions of alligators in Florida. Disney has many thousand acres. An alligator could make its way, undetected through some swamp and marsh into a lagoon near where people congregate.
A gator that size would be unlikely to attack an adult, he said, but a child would be more vulnerable.
20 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Just curious but does Disney have an active gator removal program or do they just react to nuisance gators?

I don't know about Disney's program but I suspect they have a mixture of both.

My little brother had a drainage canal behind his apartment in Orlando. The complex had an active relocation program but it really didn't matter as there are so many gators in Florida for everyone they removed another would come along to take its place. He just learned you looked around before you went near the water and to never let your pets outside without supervision. 

Like everyone else I am in shock this morning about this. That poor child and his family. In all the years that we've been going to FW, with all the wildlife, it never once crossed my mind that there could be gators. I've always assumed that Disney keeps their properties free of dangerous animals. I guess I live in fairytale land. I really don't know much about them or their habits, so can anyone tell me if they ever come out of the water and onto land to attack? So long as my kids stay out of the water (which they always do) should they be safe? Someone mentioned staying away from the water at night, do they generally not come out during the day?

11 minutes ago, MontrealFortLover said:

Like everyone else I am in shock this morning about this. That poor child and his family. In all the years that we've been going to FW, with all the wildlife, it never once crossed my mind that there could be gators. I've always assumed that Disney keeps their properties free of dangerous animals. I guess I live in fairytale land. I really don't know much about them or their habits, so can anyone tell me if they ever come out of the water and onto land to attack? So long as my kids stay out of the water (which they always do) should they be safe? Someone mentioned staying away from the water at night, do they generally not come out during the day?

They do come out during daytime, but most often at night. If you go out at night with a bright light, you would be amaze at the number of gator that are around. When hunting was allowed, the hunters always went at night because that is when they are most actively feeding. During the day you usually see them sleeping if you see them at all. I have some old phosphate pits on my property and seldom see a gator during day, but can go there at night and see them all over the place. I bet if you go to Bay Lake ve,ry early in the morning you would see more gator than you would think would be there. The problem comes when they are fed by people and they lose their fear of humans. Gators will feed on anything smaller than they are smaller gators, pets, snakes, cows, deer, and even people.

5 minutes ago, MontrealFortLover said:

You can see gators at any time of the day or night.

During warm weather, they will be more active at night. 

If it's cooler weather they will be on shore a lot basking in the sun, and will go in the water during the day when it's warmer.

If it's a highly populated area with a lot of humans around they may hide more during the day, but they will still be somewhere lurking around  "their" territory.

We have seen one or more in the canal behind the 1500 loop more than once during the day while we were fishing.  It was a smaller one probably around 4 or 5 feet.

I've kayaked around them quite a bit around the Tampa area and have seen them on shore and in the water.

The only time I was concerned was when i came around a bend and there was a mama and her babies just starting to cross the stream.  I stopped real quick and made sure all the babies were with her before proceeding.  Just like a bear, don't get between mom and her babies.

About once a month down here, you will hear about a gator snatching a dog that was splashing around the edge of water.  The outcome is usually not too pretty.

This year there have been a couple unusual cases here in FL.  One a criminal ran into a body of water evading a police search and was found dead the next day full of bites and being guarded by a gator.

Last week someone found a gator in Lakeland with a mans body in it's mouth swimming in a lake.

Yes Disney lulls you into believing you are truly in a Fantasyland, making you forget about your everyday world problems. But nature doesn't take a day off so be vigilant.

As much as it hurts, and brings up very bad memories, this story is stacking up to be very true. The father has wounds from wrestling with the gator to try and rescue his son. This family needs lots of prayers. Losing a 2 year old is the most damaging thing a parent can endure. It is not easy, it never leaves your mind, and stories like this knock you back into a downward spiral of despair and depression. Time will not heal. Time just allows you to deal with it easier. Again, they need prayers.

Reports are that they pulled a few gators out of the lake last night while searching, but determined that none seem to have had anything to do with the attack.

I've also seen accounts that the gator was anywhere from 4-7' long but that officials don't know for sure, which suggests that no one truly got a good look.

The whole situation is unfathomably sad and no doubt this family needs all the love and support they can possibly get right now.

8 minutes ago, Specularius said:

As much as it hurts, and brings up very bad memories, this story is stacking up to be very true. The father has wounds from wrestling with the gator to try and rescue his son. This family needs lots of prayers. Losing a 2 year old is the most damaging thing a parent can endure. It is not easy, it never leaves your mind, and stories like this knock you back into a downward spiral of despair and depression. Time will not heal. Time just allows you to deal with it easier. Again, they need prayers.

Well said.

TCD

49 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I am shocked by this news.

I've never seen anything close to a 7' alligator anywhere on WDW property, and I've seen wildlife trappers on site.  In fact, I saw a guy doing just that along the canal behind the 1800 loop just last month.

The details of this story are not adding up.

TCD

As I said earlier... when we were there last October, we spoke with a local guy on the boat back to The Fort; I was excited because we had just spotted our first gator that trip (a far distance off the dock, probably about 4 feet in size).  He explained that his buddy catches gators for a living and they had been out on SEVERAL trips (I guess at night he said, because their eyes light up?) trying to catch a gator (or gators) that had been sighted on property/in the waters and the gator(s) was large, not the 4' gator we saw (hence the reason for the hunt).   

My husband just called to tell me this. Truly horrible.  

The first time we stayed at the Fort ('14, I think), we were sitting on the boat to MK and had a gator swim by. The captain radioed someone. I don't remember if it was then or the CM working on the dock this past Christmas when my boys did the little Sea Rays (drawing a blank on their actual name), but some CM told us they get gators all the time, remove them, and still have more. They just can't keep them out.  Also, with the little boats, my boys were told not to get in the water nor even to reach over and put their hand in. I asked if that was because of gators and the guy said yes.  And obviously that's why they have the beach chairs way back and say no wading or swimming on the beaches.  

Still can't even imagine how horrible.

3 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

As I said earlier... when we were there last October, we spoke with a local guy on the boat back to The Fort; I was excited because we had just spotted our first gator that trip (a far distance off the dock, probably about 4 feet in size).  He explained that his buddy catches gators for a living and they had been out on SEVERAL trips (I guess at night he said, because their eyes light up?) trying to catch a gator (or gators) that had been sighted on property/in the waters and the gator(s) was large, not the 4' gator we saw (hence the reason for the hunt).   

Bay Lake and 7 Seas Lagoon are big bodies of water up to 35 feet deep with a lot of shoreline, and Bay Lake has a lot of undeveloped areas.  Along with their canal systems,  there are plenty of places for gators to hide out and grow to a decent size without being spotted.  The larger they are the smarter they are because they have survived longer.

I would imagine that boat operators keep an eye out for gators and make note where they've seen them so trappers can be sent out to capture them, but again those are a couple of big bodies of water to keep watch over.

As a side note, Wikipedia already has a entry in the Seven Seas Lagoon portion about the gator attack last night.

Once this incident dies down, I bet there will be some drastic changes put in place along the waterfronts.

This is so sad. I guess most visitors to Florida are not as aware of the wildlife as campers are. We have seen several gators around the Fort, two near the 300 loop and the dog park. We have seen water moccasins as well and had to warn people away from the water's edge. We reported what we saw each time and Disney employees showed up quickly and removed the gators (and the snake they could find!). I'm sure the family is devastated and my heart goes out to them.

I can honestly say prior to this it probably wouldn't have occurred to me not to let a 2 year old play in one foot of water on a beach at a Disney resort during a movie night while I'm standing right there.  And I live closer to Florida than someone from Nebraska does. It sounds like the signs said no swimming and the child wasn't swimming. Do the signs say anything about alligators?  Heartbroken for the family going through this nightmare. 

14 minutes ago, fotofx....Steve said:

The article said they weren't sure what provoked the attack.... the boy was squatting down near the edge of water among the ducks.  The gator was probably trying for them and ended up with the boys leg in his mouth instead.  Guess back then the reporters didn't try to talk to any wildlife experts.

Gators, like sharks go after prey that are moving around catching their attention and are easy targets.  That's why small hyper dogs running along the waters edge become so many gator snacks.

I hate to be morbid or a downer, but once the family lost sight of the boy and the gator, it was probably too late for him.

If the gator didn't kill him outright the boy probably drowned. Gators have a tendency of pulling prey underwater until they stop struggling, then if they have a den nearby (usually underwater) they will place the prey in it for later consumption.

But miracles do happen, and we can only hope for the best.

3 minutes ago, Seals said:

I can honestly say prior to this it probably wouldn't have occurred to me not to let a 2 year old play in one foot of water on a beach at a Disney resort during a movie night while I'm standing right there.  And I live closer to Florida than someone from Nebraska does. It sounds like the signs said no swimming and the child wasn't swimming. Do the signs say anything about alligators?  Heartbroken for the family going through this nightmare. 

ICBW, but I thought the signs say no swimming or wading.  I don't think they mention alligators, though.

2 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

They definitely relocate them but they have to reach a certain size. I believe it is 5ft

Actually I think they will move any gator they are advised about.  In 2003 we found one about 2ft behind our site in 1500 on the canal, while one of us watched it the other called the front desk and they came out immediately and took it away.

On another similar note this past winter in late January a gator took a deer right at the corner of 1500 where the creek from the Meadows comes into the canal.  When the remains of the deer were being removed one of the other campers in the loop mentioned they had also found the remains of an otter very near the same site.  

This is a sad cautionary tale that we all need to be paying very close attention to where we are.

I feel so badly for this family.