Anyone else going to be camping at FW in August?

We'll be there in our pup, but we weren't originally going to stay in the cabins. We like camping, and finances this year we're such that it was either cut some costs (campsite vs cabin) or kiss our 20th Anniversary road trip to Disney good-bye! We'll be installing a/c before the trip, requesting a shady site when I do online check in, not cooking much-we have the DDP. I participate in some other forums-general pop up forums and Disney,  and I'm getting all sorts of input, some of which has me nervous  (specifically some warnings about the heat). We plan to keep hydrated, replenish electrolytes,  hit the pool frequently. We're not going to be the only ones in pups or tents in August, are we? Others survive this, right?

It was a long-standing tradition in the TCD family for us to camp at the Fort in our pop-up the last weekend before school would start each year -and that was always in August.

The partial loops are full of pop-ups and tents in August, so no, you will not be the only ones.

Definitely get that AC installed.  You will be perfectly fine at night, and in the morning.  Unless your site is super shady, your AC is going to struggle to keep things cool in the heat of the day, so plan to be at the pool, a waterpark, Disney Springs,  resort hopping, or hitting inside attractions at the parks during the peak heat times.

You'll be fine!

TCD

11 minutes ago, Caroline said:

We will also be there in august in our pop up too !!! We have a/c in it already but it will be our first time in Florida, here in Quebec it's not that hot and humid .

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Quebec?

Awesome.

The heat and humidity will be a shock to you for sure.

But the parks are full and the Fort will be too.  If they can do it, so can you.

TCD

We'll be there in our pup, but we weren't originally going to stay in the cabins. We like camping, and finances this year we're such that it was either cut some costs (campsite vs cabin) or kiss our 20th Anniversary road trip to Disney good-bye! We'll be installing a/c before the trip, requesting a shady site when I do online check in, not cooking much-we have the DDP. I participate in some other forums-general pop up forums and Disney,  and I'm getting all sorts of input, some of which has me nervous  (specifically some warnings about the heat). We plan to keep hydrated, replenish electrolytes,  hit the pool frequently. We're not going to be the only ones in pups or tents in August, are we? Others survive this, right?

I live here in FL and head to the fort in the summer...Leave your ac on all day, definitely get a shady site, it will make a world of difference. Watch the pools on really hot days (95+), they will feel like bath water and not cool at all. AC is your friend, hit the shops, ride the tram, etc.

It can be done, plan around the heat in the middle of the day and pace yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

For future reference, the 3000 loop is now completely covered by a dome and is climate controlled for your enjoyment.

3 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

For future reference, the 3000 loop is now completely covered by a dome and is climate controlled for your enjoyment.

Now as soon as the air conditioned hover pod shuttle is installed to the Magic Kingdom, I'll plan that 4th of July trip.  ;)

17 hours ago, Caroline said:

By the way, do you guys leave the a/c on always or you shut it down during the day when you're not there?

17 hours ago, CoachClough said:

Mine stays on all the time...

17 hours ago, bhall said:

Mine has always stayed on even if we are not there

17 hours ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Leave it on, you'll be thankful you did after you get back form the parks. Also, keep a fan going inside too, keeps the air circulating nicely, we have a tower fan up on a counter all the time.

I know that Norm has a pop-up, but what about you other guys.

With my pop-up, I don't see the point of leaving the AC running all day long when I'm not there.  When the sun is beating down on the camper and it's 90+ degrees out, the AC struggles to keep it cool inside. I see no reason to leave it running full blast if I'm going to be away all day.  That can't be good for the AC unit. 

Once the sun is low in the sky, the AC will get my camper cool in 15-20 minutes.

So, in the summer, when we leave the site, I shut the AC down, and it doesn't get turned back on until we return to the site.

TCD

28 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

With my pop-up, I don't see the point of leaving the AC running all day long when I'm not there.  When the sun is beating down on the camper and it's 90+ degrees out, the AC struggles to keep it cool inside. I see no reason to leave it running full blast if I'm going to be away all day.  That can't be good for the AC unit. 

Once the sun is low in the sky, the AC will get my camper cool in 15-20 minutes.

So, in the summer, when we leave the site, I shut the AC down, and it doesn't get turned back on until we return to the site.

TCD

Fair question, I have a TT.  Our two trips with it have been in late june/early july...

44 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I had a pop up, now have a hybrid and do/did the same with both. I also have these, http://popupgizmos.com which help immensely.

Personally, the sun is beating down on all campers all day and the pop up has the smallest amount of square feet, so if the A/C's in the big ones can handle it, the pop up A/C, which Is usually the same BTU should handle it just fine.

Best Regards,

Norm

5 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

I had a pop up, now have a hybrid and do/did the same with both. I also have these, http://popupgizmos.com which help immensely.

Personally, the sun is beating down on all campers all day and the pop up has the smallest amount of square feet, so if the A/C's in the big ones can handle it, the pop up A/C, which Is usually the same BTU should handle it just fine.

Those Gizmos give you a bit of insulation, which pop-ups don't have.

Even with those,  the walls of a pop-up are just canvas with zero insulation.  When it's in direct sunlight on a summer day, I'm lucky if the AC can keep the interior temperature below 80, and I have a top of the line Carrier unit on mine.

That AC will freeze us out when it's not competing with the sun.  But when the sun is out, the sun always wins.

TCD

TCD

We also have a popup, thinking we'll do the same thing as you do ...

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

We kept the air on in our pup for the whole 2 weeks.  We used a fan to circulate the fan when we were there in the afternoon.  Generally one end was comfortable and the dinette area was good with the fan.  We found that our food (bread, danishes, water bottles) that didn't go in the little frig kept better if they didn't get hot during the day.  

• 4 weeks later...