WDW selling phone chargers now because lawdy do you need them

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/breaking-walt-disney-world-introducing-fuelrod-service-to-revolutionize-how-guests-charge-electronics/

Short version: Disney will sell you a $30 portable phone charger that you can replace with a new one when you use it up. Because you will use it up.

Long version: Buckle in, folks. this is a long one, and it's gonna get geeky up in here.

As an Actual Person Who Develops Apps And Stuff™, there's some things that you have to take into account when you're working on your app. One of them is the fact that, even after years of improvements in battery technology, there's still some best-practices type stuff that you need to take into account when you're developing your app if you don't want it to suck power like a vampire.

One of the biggest battery hogs on a phone is its GPS antenna. You've probably noticed that when you turn on Waze or Google Maps or whatever navigation app you use is that your phone does 2 things: first, it gets really hot, and second, your battery takes a nosedive. To keep a GPS connection, your phone has to keep track of not only the 2 or 3 cell towers it's within range of, but also up to 12 satellites in orbit around the earth. Powering up that GPS receiver so that it can hear space takes a lot of power, and it has to do it on a constant basis to keep your location updated.

Coincidentally, when you fire up your Disney Parks app, guess how it knows where you are in the park? That's right, GPS. When it's running, it's constantly updating what developers call your "fine location" via GPS so it knows exactly where you are. Oh, and it's also transmitting your location back to Disney as well, because Disney loves having information about where its guests are and how they move through the park. Which is fine, you know. That's a treasure trove of data for Disney, and I'm sure they're using every bit of it to map out traffic flow and build models of guest behavior.

But all that data transmission and GPS tracking comes at a cost: your phone's battery. Which is a problem, really- if your phone is dead, Disney's no longer getting all that sweet, sweet data it needs. So they've got a solution for you! Just buy this FuelRod for thirty American dollars, and you can keep your phone on all day while you're in the parks. If the FuelRod dies, you just give it back to them and they'll give you a fresh one.

Or, they could do what every platform (Microsoft, Google, and Apple) tell them to do and reduce their app's dependence on a constant stream of fine location data, so that their users' phones have a chance to occasionally power down and save battery life.

So of course, Disney is going to rewrite their apps to be less power-hungry in a future update and HAHAHAHA what am I saying, of COURSE Disney is going to turn this problem into a profit opportunity what was I thinking?

tl;dr: Disney created a problem with their app that causes people who use it to run through phone battery like it's on sale, then solved said problem by selling external phone batteries to people at ludicrous markups instead of reducing their app's power-hungry nature.

Here is the article for those who don't want to go to the link, lol

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/breaking-walt-disney-world-introducing-fuelrod-service-to-revolutionize-how-guests-charge-electronics/

BREAKING: Walt Disney World Introducing FuelRod Service to Revolutionize How Guests Charge Electronics

Starting July 1-2, guests can purchase portable charging batteries at FuelRod kiosks that will be added to Walt Disney World theme parks, Disney Springs, and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Fuelrod

FuelRod kiosks dispense portable charging batteries for $30.00 each, which includes:

• A portable charging battery
  • 6″ USB Type A to micro-USB cable (for most Android devices)
  • One Apple 30-pin to USB cable
  • One Apple Lightning to USB cable

The purchase is not a rental, the charging device will belong to guest after purchase.

The kiosk will be located in the following locations:

• Magic Kingdom
    • Tomorrowland Light and Power Co.
    • Big Top Souvenirs
    • Pecos Bill’s
    • Curtain Call Collectibles
  • Epcot
    • Disney Traders
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios
    • Celebrity 5 & 10
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom
    • Island Mercantile
  • Disney Springs
    • Marketplace Disney Photo Imaging
    • DisneyQuest
  • ESPN Wide World of Sports
    • ESPN Clubhouse Shop

The novel thing about the concept is that depleted batteries can be simply swapped out for fully charged ones at any of these kiosks. Depleted batteries can be swapped out for no added charge after purchase by guests, meaning they may never have to actually charge one themselves. Guests may also choose to charge the battery on their own with the included cable, of course.

I've had a device like this for a couple of years. Not only can the recharge battery be recharged off a USB but mine came with a small solar panel. While it takes much longer to recharge on solar it works well enough for when there is no power. I think I paid $15-$20 for it.

I have collected several of these portable chargers in various sizes. I don't think I payed 30.00 even for the one that will charge my phone and tablet. I tend to carry one with me if I'm going to be anywhere for any amount of time they will charge my phone, tablet, and e-cig. I bet Disney and this company will make a pretty penny off of these though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

And does yours come with the option to swap the battery when depleted at no charge?

But how long does this swapping out last?  If I buy one this year, can I swap the battery next year?  Or the year after that?  What about five years?

1 minute ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

But how long does this swapping out last?  If I buy one this year, can I swap the battery next year?  Or the year after that?  What about five years?

Not having read the fine print on any of it I wouldnt know. They were selling chargers already for quite a bit more, $59 I think I have seen, and it was a one time purchase and no swap outs. For a family with a bunch of devices being able to just swap out as depleted is a pretty cool option. 

3 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

And does yours come with the option to swap the battery when depleted at no charge?

Nope they're rechargeable - I've been using them for years - travel with them and everything.  They are one of the smartest purchases I ever made (patting myself on the back)

These are rechargeable as well as I understand it. I know there are other options if you have planned ahead or use one already but if you were on a first trip and suddenly discovered just how much your family was draining the battery this isn't a bad option to get juice. By one for a family and after each device swap to a new battery and charge the next. 

Is Disney and this company making money. Certainly. That's what business's do. But with the split between the two and the swap of the batteries for a family without transportation possibly this isn't that bad of a deal right onsite. 

I dont have have one of these yet because with my job I already carry two devices and swap back and forth to preserve battery in both. 

3 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Not having read the fine print on any of it I wouldnt know. They were selling chargers already for quite a bit more, $59 I think I have seen, and it was a one time purchase and no swap outs. For a family with a bunch of devices being able to just swap out as depleted is a pretty cool option. 

Or for a chat board that constantly has members down there.....

On 6/26/2016 at 8:19 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

Is Disney and this company making money. Certainly. That's what business's do. But with the split between the two and the swap of the batteries for a family without transportation possibly this isn't that bad of a deal right onsite.

Especially if you show up not realizing how much power you're going to need once y'all start taking posting your photos on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram...  ;)

On 6/26/2016 at 9:19 PM, Beckers said:

Or for a chat board that constantly has members down there.....

Amen to that!!

Disney figured out a great way to keep getting your data (location) and a way for you to pay to make sure they get it!!

I do see some benefits here, and if I needed a charge I don't think I'd mind paying the $$ to have (another) charger.

IF they are NOT specific to WDW kiosks, and are allowed to be swapped at ANY FuelRod location, I see a great benefit.

Like Jason stated, "great for a family, just buy one". Which, of course, begs the question "Is there a limit to the swaps?" (Gwen asked that as well, more so for annual length vs daily).

If all is good, get them direct for $25 ($20+$5 shipping) http://www.fuel-rod.com/  Save yourself a fiver.

OR, turn off GPS and app until you need it.

A recent Facebook promotion from FuelRod netted this statement.....

Just in time for Father's Day! Save $2 on FuelRod Mobile Charging Kits with Code: 4DAD at any U.S. FuelRod kiosk. Kits include unlimited free swaps for a fresh battery along with USB charging adapters for iPhones, Android, tablets and e-readers as well as many camera models.

You can find the kiosk Swap Boxes at a growing number of U.S. Airports, convention centers, college campuses, shopping malls and more. Just check the Locations tab on Facebook or our website for the one nearest you!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffuelrodpower%2Fposts%2F1010657399024453%3A0&width=500" width="500" height="603" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

While I'm sure Disney is getting "something" out of this, like I mentioned earlier, I saw this exact same thing at the Baltimore airport a couple of weeks ago.  The prices were the same for the initial "buy", then unlimited exchanges from then on.  I guess this company is wanting to copy the Redbox model.

On 6/28/2016 at 3:25 PM, Beckers said:

So this unlimited free swaps, I bet that comes to an end...

in theory, we the fiends could buy one and then pass it on from fiend to fiend at the fort as someone comes and goes. 

Now there's an idea!  :)

15 hours ago, caveat lector said:

If it comes down to raising food / ticket prices or pimping out a new revenue stream (eg fuelrods), I'm all for the fuelrods.

Agreed!