WDW newbie, Disneyland veteran. Sooooo MANY questions!

My trip starts July 6 and I have a tent site at Fort Wilderness. I many be crazy, but I am super excited. I live in Washington State- I've been to the east coast but never south of DC. As my title says- I have done Disneyland. I know about the weather in Florida, and the basics. As in, I have my fast passes and ADRs all ready to roll.

i camp at home and I'm not really concerned about that side of things as fort wilderness certainly looks nicer than the average state park. But all of the people I know who have been to WDW are certainly not campers...so I turn to you, oh knowledgeable fiends, for magical advice! 

I'm just thinking there's stuff I don't know to look up or little logistics that escape me. For example: packing my camping gear in my suitcase and will have no vehicle. Yet check in is drive through. So how do I check in? Is there a shuttle that will deliver me and my luggage to my campsite? I arrive really early in the morning and presumably will have to wait to check in. Where do I go to store my luggage?

i know about the golf carts. If, alas, I could afford that I would probably be staying at a value resort. So no golf cart for me. I did find out I can rent a bike. Can I take the bike outside of fort wilderness? Are there weekly rates? Can I even rent it for a week or do I have to rent a new one each day? Do they also rent helmets or do I need to pack mine? Do the bikes come with locks? Most importantly...have y'all enjoyed biking fiendishly at the fort? Are bikes allowed in most areas? Are there bike lock ups at the pool of restaurant or store or boat pier? The less I'm on the bus, the happier I will be- I realize the fort is very large and I'm trying to save my feet for the park! The only thing that seems to pop up on the boards is golf cart etiquette (lack of)- nothing from a biker's POV.

Any tips about setting up tents on the sand pads? I have not camped on sand. I have a two man free standing tent. How protected are the sites from the wind? My tent usually has enough stuff in it that I don't bother pegging it...but I rarely camp in windy exposed campsites either.  If you are there right now, how's the weather looking? I could, if I was in dire straits- like if my campsite flooded- probably check into a hotel but I really don't want it to come to that:(  Is is generally outright downpour or occasional brief cloudburst? I realize July is not ideal, but that happens to be my holiday this year. How do you cope with wet towels? Is it possible/likely to airdrop anything in that humid weather?

Anyone gone to Hoopdedoo solo before? I have a reservation for my first night because it sounds like good corny fun, but I'm wondering if it's something that would be awkward to attend solo. Also: how are the cheap seats? That was the only category still available.

How is transit from the fort to the parks? I think my first day is going to be a laid back day for a water park and the camp resort. Is one of the water parks easier or quicker to reach than the other? 

Any strategies for requesting campsites? I requested loop 1500...do I ask again when I check in? 

Bathrooms. Ah, a favorite topic for any camper. Do I need key access for the restrooms? If so, is it my magic band or a separate key? Key access for the pools? Are there ice machines in the bathrooms? Are there ice machines elsewhere? Do I need to buy ice? Which could be problematic with no cooler. I drink a lot of ice water in the summer...anyway... Are laundry machines in each comfort station? Coin or card operated? How long do you generally wait in line in the morning for the showers? Is there a time frame I should absolutely avoid? 

Tips on riding the buses or boats to the other resorts and parks? Can I bike to check out any of the other resorts? 

Favorite food options in or near the fort? Favorite drinks at WDW or at the fort?

Speaking of drinking- bit surprised about how many booze options there are at WDW. Not used to alcohol at Disney. Have any of you had frequent bad luck with noisy/drunk neighbors? Does the campground have set quiet hours?

Lastly what do YOU wish you'd known before your first FW/WDW adventure? Especially fellow west coast fiends! Any good tips?

if it matters, here are my details...30 something adventurous lady who frequently travels solo. I have seven full days- one set aside for universal. Loves food. Loves roller coasters but prone to motion sickness. Enjoys camping but also enjoys showering every morning. It's the little things in life, y'know;) feel free to answer as few or as many questions as you'd like- need all the help I can get!

welcome!! Are you signed up for the Magical Express? If so, you should have received yellow luggage tags that you use so that when you land at MCO they will pull your luggage from the plane and deliver it to Fort Wilderness for you (then they will bring it to your site, they normally call you first because I think you have to be there to receive it). Or if you want, don't use the yellow tags, and grab your own luggage when you land and take it to the Magical Express bus stop and they will take you and your luggage to Fort Wilderness and they drop you off by the building where you can walk inside and check in. If your site isn't ready bell services can hold your luggage until the site is ready. You can ask them to drive you and your luggage to your site.

are you talking any kind of fan???? 

I'm pretty sure bike rentals are insanely expensive and only daily, the buses are fine and get you where you need to. 

Ice machines are pay only, not like your typical ice machines at a hotel, it dispense s a lot of ice for like a cooler not the tiny hotel bucket type.

they do have dryers, you need to use a credit card and I think they were like $3 a load?

4 hours ago, Westcoastwild said:

My trip starts July 6 and I have a tent site at Fort Wilderness. I many be crazy, but I am super excited. I live in Washington State- I've been to the east coast but never south of DC. As my title says- I have done Disneyland. I know about the weather in Florida, and the basics. As in, I have my fast passes and ADRs all ready to roll.

i camp at home and I'm not really concerned about that side of things as fort wilderness certainly looks nicer than the average state park. But all of the people I know who have been to WDW are certainly not campers...so I turn to you, oh knowledgeable fiends, for magical advice! 

I'm just thinking there's stuff I don't know to look up or little logistics that escape me. For example: packing my camping gear in my suitcase and will have no vehicle. Yet check in is drive through. So how do I check in? Is there a shuttle that will deliver me and my luggage to my campsite? I arrive really early in the morning and presumably will have to wait to check in. Where do I go to store my luggage?

You will arrive by Magical Express, and there is a standard check-in building. They do have luggage services where you can store your luggage. A van will take you and your gear to your site. Arriving early on a Wednesday morning. There is a likelihood that a site will be available.

i know about the golf carts. If, alas, I could afford that I would probably be staying at a value resort. So no golf cart for me. I did find out I can rent a bike. Can I take the bike outside of fort wilderness? Are there weekly rates? Can I even rent it for a week or do I have to rent a new one each day? Do they also rent helmets or do I need to pack mine? Do the bikes come with locks? Most importantly...have y'all enjoyed biking fiendishly at the fort? Are bikes allowed in most areas? Are there bike lock ups at the pool of restaurant or store or boat pier? The less I'm on the bus, the happier I will be- I realize the fort is very large and I'm trying to save my feet for the park! The only thing that seems to pop up on the boards is golf cart etiquette (lack of)- nothing from a biker's POV.

You can only rent bikes from 9am - 5pm. You cannot take the bike outside Ft. Wilderness. They are really only designed for pleasure rides around the Fort. You could probably go to Wal-Mart.com, order a bike, helmet, and lock/chain and have it delivered directly to the Fort for way less than than the limited rental you can get at the Fort. Then just pay it forward to another guest. There will be several Fiend folks at the Fort that week.

Any tips about setting up tents on the sand pads? I have not camped on sand. I have a two man free standing tent. How protected are the sites from the wind? My tent usually has enough stuff in it that I don't bother pegging it...but I rarely camp in windy exposed campsites either.  If you are there right now, how's the weather looking? I could, if I was in dire straits- like if my campsite flooded- probably check into a hotel but I really don't want it to come to that:(  Is is generally outright downpour or occasional brief cloudburst? I realize July is not ideal, but that happens to be my holiday this year. How do you cope with wet towels? Is it possible/likely to airdrop anything in that humid weather?

I would stake your tent down, and stake out every guy wire the tent has, especially on the rainfly. I know you will have stuff in your tent, but this will be to keep the material tight so that water properly runs off the tent. There are frequent heavy rainstorms in FL. Loose material on tents allows water to pool, sag, and possibly soak through your tent or collapse it. When I tent camped at the Fort, I put a layer of disposable painters plastic down first, then threw that away at the end of my trip. Then on top of that was my regular groundcloth (6 mil painters plastic cut to fit), then another groundcloth cut to fit INSIDE the tent.

I don't know what you are packing your stuff in, but I would recommend a plastic locking trunk. You can get them in the automotive department at Wal-Mart. They are airline legal size, and you can lock them. Once you unpack your tent stuff, you can then put clothes in there inside your tent so that if your tent gets wet inside, at least your clothes are dry.

Anyone gone to Hoopdedoo solo before? I have a reservation for my first night because it sounds like good corny fun, but I'm wondering if it's something that would be awkward to attend solo. Also: how are the cheap seats? That was the only category still available.

Totally fun, totally corny, and yes I've attended solo. Not awkward at all! The cheap seats are great!

How is transit from the fort to the parks? I think my first day is going to be a laid back day for a water park and the camp resort. Is one of the water parks easier or quicker to reach than the other? 

Blizzard Beach is easier to get to than Typhoon Lagoon. Take a bus, or ride a bike to the Outpost from your campsite, then another bus to Blizzard Beach. Getting to Typhoon Lagoon involves yet another transfer.

Any strategies for requesting campsites? I requested loop 1500...do I ask again when I check in? 

Yup, just ask again at checkin.

Bathrooms. Ah, a favorite topic for any camper. Do I need key access for the restrooms? If so, is it my magic band or a separate key? Key access for the pools? Are there ice machines in the bathrooms? Are there ice machines elsewhere? Do I need to buy ice? Which could be problematic with no cooler. I drink a lot of ice water in the summer...anyway... Are laundry machines in each comfort station? Coin or card operated? How long do you generally wait in line in the morning for the showers? Is there a time frame I should absolutely avoid? 

Key access from midnite to 6am is your magic band. The pools are not fenced, so no key needed. There are pay ice machines next to each comfort station, and yes you will need a cooler. Ice is $2.00 for a large bag. Once again Wal-Mart.com and then pay it forward on the cooler. Any cooler you purchase, the ice will melt daily. Honestly, at the tent site, a case of bottled water delivered to the Fort, along with a cooler, will be better than ice water. Melted ice water will still keep water bottles cold. Cube ice is just hard to keep without a Yeti. Florida water has a taste that might not be great. Yes, laundry machines at each comfort station, credit card operated.

Tent camping in the summer, I would honestly recommend a night time shower. You will be hot and sticky from the day, you will want to be cool and comfortable to sleep. Getting a shower before going to bed will wash off all the sticky, and you will sleep much better.

Tips on riding the buses or boats to the other resorts and parks? Can I bike to check out any of the other resorts? 

There is a bicycle/walking path to Wilderness Lodge, but that's it. WDW discourages riding/running/walking along any of the other public roads unless there is a sidewalk.

Favorite food options in or near the fort? Favorite drinks at WDW or at the fort?

The quick service options at the Fort are limited. When I used to fly and tent camp, I would start my morning by taking a bus or boat to Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary at their quick service place, then head to the parks from there. As a matter of fact, if you get 1500 Loop, the bus that picks you up from your loop, goes to the Wilderness Lodge after stopping at Settlement. No transfers. You can then get a bus to any of the parks from WL.

My favorite drink at WDW is the Grand Marnier Orange Slushy at France in Epcot, and the Peach Snap at China in Epcot. Yummy!

Speaking of drinking- bit surprised about how many booze options there are at WDW. Not used to alcohol at Disney. Have any of you had frequent bad luck with noisy/drunk neighbors? Does the campground have set quiet hours?

It most definitely can happen, especially on the weekend. They do have quiet hours. The first half of your trip will be crowded as part of 4th of July week. It will empty out on Sunday afternoon.

Lastly what do YOU wish you'd known before your first FW/WDW adventure? Especially fellow west coast fiends! Any good tips?

Just have fun and relax!! The humidity will floor you, so don't try to go, go, go all day. Find air conditioned spots to chill in a chair, go to the pool, and take the parks in small bites.

if it matters, here are my details...30 something adventurous lady who frequently travels solo. I have seven full days- one set aside for universal. Loves food. Loves roller coasters but prone to motion sickness. Enjoys camping but also enjoys showering every morning. It's the little things in life, y'know;) feel free to answer as few or as many questions as you'd like- need all the help I can get!

I would avoid Mission Space if you are prone to motion sickness. But that is about it, nothing else at WDW is that bad.

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

5 hours ago, Westcoastwild said:

824-3508.70My trip starts July 6 and I have a tent site at Fort Wilderness. I many be crazy, but I am super excited. I live in Washington State- I've been to the east coast but never south of DC. As my title says- I have done Disneyland. I know about the weather in Florida, and the basics. As in, I have my fast passes and ADRs all ready to roll.  I grew up in Washington State (Anacortes) and am also familiar with Disneyland.  Disneyworld is an entirely different beast.  Riding in the on the bus, you'll discover this.  Great job on having your FPs and ADRs all set up; that will be helpful.

I'm just thinking there's stuff I don't know to look up or little logistics that escape me. For example: packing my camping gear in my suitcase and will have no vehicle. Yet check in is drive through. So how do I check in? Is there a shuttle that will deliver me and my luggage to my campsite? I arrive really early in the morning and presumably will have to wait to check in. Where do I go to store my luggage?  As Beckers mentioned above, Magical Express.  Look into that.  It's very easy to use; they'll collect any bags you check and bring you (and the bags) to The Fort.  The ME brings you to The Fort however... I have seen Disney vans drop off guests at campsites so, they might be able to do that.  Hopefully another Fiends can help with that info.

i know about the golf carts. If, alas, I could afford that I would probably be staying at a value resort. So no golf cart for me. I did find out I can rent a bike. Can I take the bike outside of fort wilderness? Are there weekly rates? Can I even rent it for a week or do I have to rent a new one each day? Do they also rent helmets or do I need to pack mine? Do the bikes come with locks? Most importantly...have y'all enjoyed biking fiendishly at the fort? Are bikes allowed in most areas? Are there bike lock ups at the pool of restaurant or store or boat pier? The less I'm on the bus, the happier I will be- I realize the fort is very large and I'm trying to save my feet for the park! The only thing that seems to pop up on the boards is golf cart etiquette (lack of)- nothing from a biker's POV.  Bikes are AWESOME to ride around The Fort.  We bring our own so, I apologize... I don't know about the pricing.  There is bike parking at almost anywhere you'd want to stop (pools, marina, restaurant, stores, etc).  EDITED:  Carol was typing as I was so yay...she gave you LOTS of good info on this and everything else :) 

Any tips about setting up tents on the sand pads? I have not camped on sand. I have a two man free standing tent. How protected are the sites from the wind? My tent usually has enough stuff in it that I don't bother pegging it...but I rarely camp in windy exposed campsites either.  If you are there right now, how's the weather looking? I could, if I was in dire straits- like if my campsite flooded- probably check into a hotel but I really don't want it to come to that:(  Is is generally outright downpour or occasional brief cloudburst? I realize July is not ideal, but that happens to be my holiday this year. How do you cope with wet towels? Is it possible/likely to airdrop anything in that humid weather?  Visiting WDW in July... you will be HOT.  It will be HOT and HUMID.  Rain storms are not uncommon and rain in FL is not like the drizzle we get in WA.  Everything can get soaked, very quickly.  Bring a tarp for under your tent.

Anyone gone to Hoopdedoo solo before? I have a reservation for my first night because it sounds like good corny fun, but I'm wondering if it's something that would be awkward to attend solo. Also: how are the cheap seats? That was the only category still available.  Been to the HDDR a few times; it's a great show.  I imagine it would be like anywhere else solo so, if you're use to that, you should be fine.

How is transit from the fort to the parks? I think my first day is going to be a laid back day for a water park and the camp resort. Is one of the water parks easier or quicker to reach than the other?   Bus service is provided, but make sure to plan a decent amount of time for travel.  Take the boat (down at the marina) to the Magic Kingdom.

Any strategies for requesting campsites? I requested loop 1500...do I ask again when I check in? Yep.  You can also fax in a request... 407-824-3508.

Bathrooms. Ah, a favorite topic for any camper. Do I need key access for the restrooms? If so, is it my magic band or a separate key? Key access for the pools? Are there ice machines in the bathrooms? Are there ice machines elsewhere? Do I need to buy ice? Which could be problematic with no cooler. I drink a lot of ice water in the summer...anyway... Are laundry machines in each comfort station? Coin or card operated? How long do you generally wait in line in the morning for the showers? Is there a time frame I should absolutely avoid?  Your magic band gets you into the comfort station when they are locked (late night).  Laundry machines are now card operated (last time I think they still had one that worked off coins).  I believe both the washer and dryer are $3/each.  Mornings and early evening (say 7p) seem to be the busy times for the showers.  There are 4 in each comfort station and I don't know that I've waited longer than 15 minutes before.

Tips on riding the buses or boats to the other resorts and parks? Can I bike to check out any of the other resorts?  No, I believe you'd need to keep the rented bikes on property (EXCEPT for the The Lodge... you can bike over there).  All other resorts/parks are too far to bike over to.   EDITED:  just understood your question... I have seen surrey bike rentals at a few resorts, not sure about standard one person bicycles.

Favorite food options in or near the fort? Favorite drinks at WDW or at the fort?  You have to eat breakfast at Trails End and their take out is good also.  We really enjoy the restaurants over at the Lodge.

Speaking of drinking- bit surprised about how many booze options there are at WDW. Not used to alcohol at Disney. Have any of you had frequent bad luck with noisy/drunk neighbors? Does the campground have set quiet hours?  Not too many problems.  Sometimes you get large groups and those people (drunk or not) can be noisy...unfortunately.  

Lastly what do YOU wish you'd known before your first FW/WDW adventure? Especially fellow west coast fiends! Any good tips?   Enjoy!  Don't try to pack too much in.  Make sure you set aside time to just hang-out at The Fort.  Drink a TON of water.  If you can swing it, early morning and late nights at the parks will be your friend as the afternoons will be miserable hot.

I live here. It's HOT. I sometimes think I might die, but so far I have lived! A fan or two is an absolute must. I will see if I can pick one up to bring over for you.

I also have a bike, but will need to check it out because even though my intentions were good....lol. if it is usable I will be glad to let you use it.

I also recommend one of those little mister fans and a cool towel. Again, if I can find an extra I will bring for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Aw, thanks! You're all so helpful:wub: I have a small camping Fan that I haven't tested out yet. Hoping that will help somewhat. The Grand Marnier orange slushy was already on my list- I am down for any thing that is both slushy and alcoholic. Bummed that the bike hours are so short as it's really the evenings I enjoy for biking. Not a big deal, though, and it'll certainly save money. How do you order stuff to have delivered to the fort? I have an insulated water bottle so quick service takes care of ice during the day, and I can probably do without at night.

mission space was already on my do not ride list. Any do not ride suggestions for universal? Have any of you gone to universal as a day trip? I'm debating between the shuttle deal and taxis.

I keep forgetting to fill out the magical express info. I will go do that now, but I'm thinking it's too late for the yellow tags.

How late do the internal buses run? I was wondering specifically about going to see the electrical light parade on the lake.

Anyone know of any online tutorials for staking out the guy lines? That is not something I've seen my camping friends do. (My father is ex-army and regards camping as a special hell. Most of my family and friends are hotel snobs). The stuff I have found on google assume one knows how to do the guy lines already. Very frustrating.

thanks again!!

The Mears shuttle is a good deal, but check out Uber. There are some first time user coupons that may bring the cost down.

Ordering online stuff to be shipped to the Fort is relatively easy. Just in the "ship to" page when you place the order, put the following:

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
Your Name
Your Reservation #
4510 N. Fort Wilderness Trail
Lake Buena Vista, FL, 32830-1000

It will be at the front desk when you arrive and they will give it to you at checkin.

Harry Potter is a 3-D moving attraction. I found it "almost" too much for me.

The internal buses run till about 2am, and start about 6:20 am.

Most tents have guy lines attached with sliders to tighten them. Just put a stake through the loop at the end at a 45 degree angle with the tip of the stake towards the tent, and the "hammer" part of the stake away from the tent, then pull the slider till the line is tight.

Even if you don't get your yellow tags, you can do one of two things. Claim your bags at luggage claim, or show the DME folks your claim checks with a description of your bag. A bright ribbon on the handle, with another piece of that bright ribbon with you helps them grab the bag.

You've already got some great info from others. I will only add what I know of the rides. FTR, I have had motion sickness my entire life, but it was especially bad on our FW trip last Dec. So, you may be able to ride most of these. And I don't even remember if you were asking about rides because of that or what. Oh, just reread and saw you are prone to motion sickness, so here goes!

DisneyWorld

Mission Space or whatever it's called - I have ridden the mild version before (a couple of years ago) without getting sick, but I did have to close my eyes a couple of times.

Everest - Have ridden it a few times, but this past time I threw up after. :angry:

Space Mt. - Was not right the last time I rode that, so I skipped it last trip.

Rock n Roller coaster - Haven't ridden that since '02 when I was super close to throwing up after.

That's all I can think of for now.

Universal

Honestly, there's a lot here I would not ride, and I went with someone who had front-of-the-line passes for our whole group. So, I was sherpa.

Anyway, my husband and son had been going on about Harry Potter since we were there in '14, so I rode that. Big mistake. I had to close my eyes right off the bat and keep them closed the entire time, so I ended up not seeing any of it. I passed on the newer HP ride in Gringott's.  If you have tix for both parks there, definitely do the HP train between them.  

I think the only other ride I tried there was Minions. I did the motion free seats and still almost got sick. Had to close my eyes a few times.  

If I think of more, I will come back here.  Have a great trip!!  It will be hot and it will be crowded.  I would suggest definitely getting to the parks early.

Cjhokie- thank you for the ride info. So, in your opinion, was there enough at Universal to enjoy despite your motion sickness? I really want to go for Harry Potter and I doubt I'll go to Florida again. But I'm wondering if it's worth the cost of a ticket. I can ride coasters, but the first simulator that I've ever been able to ride is Soaring...and that is now when I have comparatively few problems with motion sickness.  star tours is the sickest I have gotten in a long time:blink:

3 minutes ago, Westcoastwild said:

Cjhokie- thank you for the ride info. So, in your opinion, was there enough at Universal to enjoy despite your motion sickness? I really want to go for Harry Potter and I doubt I'll go to Florida again. But I'm wondering if it's worth the cost of a ticket. I can ride coasters, but the first simulator that I've ever been able to ride is Soaring...and that is now when I have comparatively few problems with motion sickness.  star tours is the sickest I have gotten in a long time:blink:

Hmm, let me check out their website and see.  Diagon Alley is amazing, with the level of detail. I would almost say it's worth it just to see that, but I don't remember how much tickets are.

7 hours ago, BigTom said:

Might be cheaper to buy a cheap bike from walmart or GoodWill store and just leave it as renting for a week.

^what tom said. Or order one from amazon to be delivered there, lol.

If you're worried about the motion sickness, try the wristbands that sit on your pressure points - that has worked very well for my son that gets car sick.

So, in Islands of Adventure, I personally would probably only ride Jurassic Park and the two water rides. One is a flume and the other is the round boat type. I will say that is the absolute wettest I've ever been after one of those rides.   There are also some rides in Dr. Seuss land I could ride, but they are kiddie rides. There are a couple of shows that I don't remember if I did before, but we definitely didn't this past time. And then there's Hogsmeade to walk around in.

In Universal, there's Diagon Alley to walk through. My kids are torn on whether I could've ridden Gringott's and not gotten sick. They said it's like the HP ride in IoA, so I'm leaning towards no go. But I've also heard that HP ride compared to Soarin' which I can ride no problem.  Oh, and there's a fire-breathing dragon over Gringott's. We missed it breathing fire somehow the first day, so make sure you stand there until it does it.  I mentioned the Hogwarts Express. You have to have the 2-park ticket to ride that, so that's a cost consideration.

Also in Univ, I have ridden ET with no problem (it reminded me of Peter Pan in DW, not sure if you have that in DL). We did not ride Men in Black, but it looks like Buzz Lightyear or Toy Story Midway Mania, both of which I can ride.  I've heard the Simpsons ride was so bad at first they had to close it all the time to clean up puke. I think they toned it down somehow but it's still bad. Then there are some other 3D rides that I haven't done. And it looks like some shows I haven't seen.

Overall, there's not a whole lot to do in either park for motion sickness sufferers, but you could definitely spend a full day in both parks. I'd say it depends on your budget. Plus, factor in how you would get there - uber? taxi?

28 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

^what tom said. Or order one from amazon to be delivered there, lol.

If you're worried about the motion sickness, try the wristbands that sit on your pressure points - that has worked very well for my son that gets car sick.

Yeah, or take Bonine every night, starting the night before you get there (it does make me drowsy until my body adjusts). I did not take any with me and ended up buying Dramamine in AK after Everest. Then I could only find Dramamine in a gas station we went to and the grocery store. Why does FL hate Bonine??

As has been mentioned Florida water takes some getting used to if you don't live there. We always make sure to bring plenty of bottled water for drinking and cooking.

Since you are traveling lite you might want to rent a car for your first day so you can hit up a Walmart or other store to get some basic supplies like water, cheap cooler, etc. You can rent one onsite and they have a free shuttle service. Info can be found here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/car-rental-services/

As far as staking your tent down the little pin style that many tents come with do not work well in sand. I would look for the wider metal or plastic stakes in a 9" - 12" length.

I would also bring an extra bath towel as this time of year an AM and PM shower is mandatory from my perspective and with the humidity a single towel might not dry in time. 

53 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

In Universal, there's Diagon Alley to walk through. My kids are torn on whether I could've ridden Gringott's and not gotten sick. They said it's like the HP ride in IoA, so I'm leaning towards no go. But I've also heard that HP ride compared to Soarin' which I can ride no problem.  Oh, and there's a fire-breathing dragon over Gringott's. We missed it breathing fire somehow the first day, so make sure you stand there until it does it.  I mentioned the Hogwarts Express. You have to have the 2-park ticket to ride that, so that's a cost consideration.

Neither of the HP rides are like Soarin'. With Gringott's there are several physical drops where you are tilted forward and go what seems to be straight down. 

You also need to take the Hogwarts Express both ways as the trip is different in each direction.

Keith- good point about the towel. I was already thinking that I would need to shower am and pm; I did have to do that last time I was on the east coast during the summer.

I'm just not sure about the car, but I'll keep it in mind. Even when I'm actually camping in the wilderness, I don't really spend enough time at the campsite to go back and forth for the water...

does the fort general store sell those styrofoam coolers by chance? Even if they charge a lot for the ice and bottled water it probably would be cheaper than a rental

I started out using a tent at the Fort and I found the thing that I needed the most was a little hand broom and dust pan to clean out the tent.  The Cochina stone they use to level the camp sites sticks to everything because everything will always be just a little wet.  A tarp under your tent is also a great idea.  I'll be there on July 8th.  I'll try to stop by and see if you need anything.  

Welcome!

It looks like your questions all got answered, but I wanted to post and encourage you to come back and post after your trip- I would like to hear what you think about WDW and Florida after visiting for the first time. 

After years of visiting WDW, I first visited Disneyland in late 2014, and a few times last year.  The main surprise for me was the small scale of it all.  Even though I had heard about that from everyone, it was not something I understood until seeing it with my own eyes.  Your experience will be the opposite.  I'm sure you've heard how big WDW is, but I don't think you will understand that until you see it with your own eyes.  I have often heard that all of Disneyland and California Adventure would fit in the Magic Kingdom's parking lot.  Now I know that is true.

You said that you know about Florida weather.  This is something else that I think you will have to experience to understand.  My best advice for you is to plan on being on the go during the day, and plan your days so that you will be inside air conditioned attractions during the hottest parts of the day.  It will also be hot and humid at night, and I think that part will be a shock to you when you try to sleep in a tent. But it can be, and has been done, by lots of folks before you.

Have a great trip, and please let us know how it goes!

TCD