RUMOR: Guardians of the Galaxy Overlay for Mission:SPACE?

RUMOR: Mission: SPACE Getting Guardians of the Galaxy Overlay? More IP Attractions Coming to Epcot?

This rumor is pretty far out there, but it seems to be gaining some traction, so it might be worth talking about…

MSguardians

The latest rumor making the rounds says that the Mission: SPACE attraction at Epcot may be getting a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay. This does make some sense since it sounds like the Tower of Terror in Florida will be spared the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay coming to California, but probably makes little sense in the Epcot of today.The Epcot of tomorrow, well that’s a different story…

TRON Lightcycle Power Run at Shanghai Disneyland on June 13, 2016 -  three days before the scheduled grand opening.   PHOTO BY JEFF GRITCHEN, ORANGE OOUNTY REGISTER

TRON Lightcycle Power Run at Shanghai Disneyland on June 13, 2016 – three days before the scheduled grand opening. PHOTO BY JEFF GRITCHEN, ORANGE OOUNTY REGISTER

There has certainly been rumors of the TRON Lightcycle Power Run attraction coming to Walt Disney World, even before it was announced for Shanghai Disneyland. Current rumblings place the TRON ride somewhere in Future World, while inside sources seem confident that the Ratatouille attraction from Paris will land in the France pavilion before the end of the decade.

1CD_9054

Is an Epcot riddled with IPs on the way? The addition and success of Frozen Ever After in Norway leads me to believe it is. What will this mean for the future of the park? Is there any life left in the original vision for the park? Not under the Iger administration which seems hellbent on installing all of the company’s most current Intellectual Properties at the Disney Parks around the world.

None of this is confirmed at this time, and some of it I haven’t really been able to even feel out with any inside sources at the company yet. Regardless, stay tuned for any further information on these rumors should more information become available.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/rumor-mission-space-getting-guardians-of-the-galaxy-overlay-more-ip-attractions-coming-to-epcot/

9 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Why not they already ruined Test Track.

So true.

And I really think that the original intent was to theme it after the Tron movies.  Until the latest one tanked.  Ooops.

What is more interesting than the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay mentioned in that article is the suggestion that Epcot may be getting the Tron Light Cycles in Future World and a Ratatouille attraction in France.  Those would be two good additions- and it seems plausible that it could happen given the trend of duplicating attractions in the parks.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

... the suggestion that Epcot may be getting the Tron Light Cycles in Future World and a Ratatouille attraction in France.  Those would be two good additions- and it seems plausible that it could happen given the trend of duplicating attractions in the parks.

TCD

Agreed!

I'm just glad they're not messing with doing the overlay on Tower of Terror like they are at Disneyland.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

So true.

And I really think that the original intent was to theme it after the Tron movies.  Until the latest one tanked.  Ooops.

What is more interesting than the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay mentioned in that article is the suggestion that Epcot may be getting the Tron Light Cycles in Future World and a Ratatouille attraction in France.  Those would be two good additions- and it seems plausible that it could happen given the trend of duplicating attractions in the parks.

TCD

I think both of those would work well with Epcot as they fit the character of the park if not the original intent. I don't think a Guardians of the Galaxy or other super hero type things would work well and to me would clash with the park's feel.

Oops... change of plans!  And this may make more sense anyway...

UPDATE: Universe of Energy at Epcot Likely to Close Soon for Guardians of the Galaxy Attraction

With some clarifying from inside sources, it seems likely that the Universe of Energy at Epcot will be closed to be replaced with a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction.

DGS655392

While we had reported that it was Mission: SPACE that would be overlaid with a Guardians of the Galaxy theme, it seems that rumor was incorrect as instead there are currently plans for a lavish update to Mission: SPACE on hold from Walt Disney Imagineering. While we can’t say much about that project yet, it seems the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction that will replace the Universe of Energy has already been approved and is moving forward.

The Universe of Energy is an original pavilion from EPCOT Center, opening in 1982 and moderately updated to Ellen’s Energy Adventure in 1996. While the 1996 refurbishment changed the music and most film portions of the ride, it otherwise has remained very similar to the original attraction and has been enjoyed by Epcot guests for nearly 34 years now. Barring some unforeseen complications, it is likely the building will be gutted or demolished and replaced with a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction.

Rumors indicate that Bob Chapek, the new chairman at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, was key in the decision. Chapek spent 3.5  years in charge of Disney Consumer Products, but this is his first role in the Parks and Resorts division of the company.

The Universe of Energy could close as soon as the Fall of 2016, but Disney has made no announcement of any closure as of yet.

Stay tuned for any further developments should they become available.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/update-universe-of-energy-at-epcot-likely-to-close-soon-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-attraction/

I still think it is a dumb idea as I don't see any connection between the Guardians and what EPCOT is supposed to stand for. I don't understand why Disney can't work on updating the science and technology forward thinking exhibits and rides that made EPCOT unique.

59 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Chapek spent 3.5  years in charge of Disney Consumer Products,

Of course this probably says it all. Have to do whatever it takes to sell more junky merchandise. 

23 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I still think it is a dumb idea as I don't see any connection between the Guardians and what EPCOT is supposed to stand for. I don't understand why Disney can't work on updating the science and technology forward thinking exhibits and rides that made EPCOT unique.

It's probably cheaper/quicker/easier to develop existing properties where the look, graphics, merchandise, etc., are already in place and all they have to do is figure out how to use them.

New exhibits cost big bucks unless you can find a corporate sponsor, and those days seem to be largely over.

And plus also, it's cross promotion for their movie franchises so a win-win for them.

34 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Honestly at the rate of how technology changes I don't see how they really could keep Epcot with the theme it started as. New and better stuff keeps coming out so it will be constantly outdated.

don't stone me but I think the original theme of EPCOT is done...

No stones from me, but I hate to see the original stuff go.

They don't need to change stuff just for the sake of change- e.g. Test Track.

Why are they going to rip down the Universe of Energy when the Wonders of LIfe pavilion right next door sits empty?

TCD

The test track change was stupid. I don't understand why they changed that? It wasn't old by any means. 

I wish they would just updated the film at the end of Ellen. Although my family loves to quote "stupid Judy! Stupid Judy!"

I wonder how often they use that pavilion? Besides F&W and sometimes for special events is that it? 

16 minutes ago, Beckers said:

The test track change was stupid. I don't understand why they changed that? It wasn't old by any means. 

I wish they would just updated the film at the end of Ellen. Although my family loves to quote "stupid Judy! Stupid Judy!"

I wonder how often they use that pavilion? Besides F&W and sometimes for special events is that it? 

I love Stupid Judy.

And Bill Nye the Science Guy.

And Alex Trebek.

I like the ride too. Especially the animatronic dinosaurs.  I always thought they were cool.

But, I have to be honest- we probably ride it less than once a year.

Still, I'd hate to see it go.

TCD

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

Honestly at the rate of how technology changes I don't see how they really could keep Epcot with the theme it started as. New and better stuff keeps coming out so it will be constantly outdated.

don't stone me but I think the original theme of EPCOT is done...

Yes technology does change but a number of things can be done to get people interested and thinking about what they are doing. This is what I consider the main thread of EPCOT is not so much the underlying technology. In regards to Guardians I think their shelf life will be a lot less than most leading edge technology. Your then stuck with a ride that loses relevance with the younger target audience.  Not to mention if I want comic book themed thrill rides I'll go to Universal.

They have to do something with Epcot. I agree with many that future world just doesn't work anymore. The future always catches up too fast. We all know Walt thought large rounded concrete buildings were going to be the wave in the future...and they were not.  I also agree with TCD to leave things Classic the way they are. I think unfortunately with universal being based on thrill rides and that's what our youth wants, Disney has to keep up.  The Disney exec already killed Walts dream of Epcot by adding the Frozen BS to Norway.  I think they need a whole new reimagine of future world and if it's Marvel themed then so be it.

36 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I thought I read some where that WDWcouldn't do marvel stuff because of the proximity to Universal?

oh and I'm 40 mins into avatar and it's doing nothing for me so far.

It's not just the proximity to Universal.  They have limited rights East of the Mississippi.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/18/disney-is-taking-too-long-to-add-marvel-to-disney.aspx

Here is the original contract (still in effect) between Marvel and MCA.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:17 PM, Starbuc71 said:

They have to do something with Epcot. I agree with many that future world just doesn't work anymore. The future always catches up too fast. We all know Walt thought large rounded concrete buildings were going to be the wave in the future...and they were not.  I also agree with TCD to leave things Classic the way they are. I think unfortunately with universal being based on thrill rides and that's what our youth wants, Disney has to keep up.  The Disney exec already killed Walts dream of Epcot by adding the Frozen BS to Norway.  I think they need a whole new reimagine of future world and if it's Marvel themed then so be it.

I heard a doozy of a rumor this weekend.

This came via the TCD twins, who have a lot of CM connections.

CM's love to gossip more than guests, I think, so take this with a large grain of salt.

Anyway, the rumor is that there are plans in the works for a complete and total overhaul of Epcot.  Like on the level of what they did at California Adventure when they added Cars Land, redid the entry area, and did so much work that they had a second dedication of the park.  Supposedly, this is the pet project of Bob Chapek, who was named Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts last year.  He wants to leave his mark on the company, and a totally new Epcot is what he wants to do.  Supposedly, he has the budget to do it.

That would sure be something to see!

TCD

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

CM's love to gossip more than guests, I think, so take this with a large grain of salt.

Anyway, the rumor is that there are plans in the works for a complete and total overhaul of Epcot.  Like on the level of what they did at California Adventure when they added Cars Land, redid the entry area, and did so much work that they had a second dedication of the park.  Supposedly, this is the pet project of Bob Chapek, who was named Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts last year.  He wants to leave his mark on the company, and a totally new Epcot is what he wants to do.  Supposedly, he has the budget to do it.

TCD

A makeover of Future World would be a great idea as long as they don't lose the "feel" of Epcot with the spaciousness of the World Showcase and that lovely sense you get of just strolling along.  

Oh and NEVER NEVER NEVER get rid of either the Wine and Food Festival or the Garden Festival.   That would seriously upset ME  - after all the best part of the strolling is the eating and drinking !   :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

This has been planned for a while.  The delay is due to all of the other work being done at this time; Studios, Animal Kingdom, etc.  Once they have the capital available, look for a pretty extensive update.  It may be several years out though. 

On 7/6/2016 at 9:44 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

The "doozy" level is indeed high. I hope it moves from rumor to fruition.