Anchors Away! The TCD Gang Has Another Dream (cruise)

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

You are correct.  D-Luxe Burgers is a Disney restaurant.  

I think Disney saw the business that Earl of Sandwich gets and wanted to duplicate that model with different food.  That model is decent food in a nice atmosphere served as a counter service restaurant at a decent price compared to other places at Disney.  I just hope they will extend this model to other areas as well.   

Thank you for confirming this.  I find it interesting.  Finally, we see Disney breaking away from the homogenization that has happened at all of the other Quick Serve locations on property as a result of the Danged Disney Dining Plan.

I agree with you- I hope this model is replicated in other locations around the property.  But, sadly, I don't see that happening because of the Dining Plan.

ETA: Well, it looks like I was wrong about the DDDP, because according to an update posted on the Disney Parks Blog, D-Luxe Burger does accept the DDDP.  What is not clear is whether the burgers come with fries, or if you can get a milkshake or macaron with a snack/dessert credit as those questions went unanswered in the blog comments: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/03/d-luxe-burger-opening-this-may-at-disney-springs/

TCD

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, so much hate.  Black shirts matter, too.  

Oh darn.  And I'm usually so politically correct.  

Woo Hoo! The TCD Gang sailed away. Before we get to the report- let's talk about the title. My kid brother just retired from the Navy.  I know it's Anchors Aweigh!  Not Anchors Away!

It looks like my bonus content will be exhausted with this post.

It was fun while it lasted, right?

After our lunch at D-Luxe Burger, we headed out to take a look at the new World of Coke store.

Here's a view across the spring at Morimoto Asia- I still haven't been in there yet, but it's on my short list:

7%204%2016%20296_zpswnhk4a4t.jpg

That's the new Homecoming restaurant there, which had not opened at the time, but is open now.  I am not sure what that big brick building is that you see behind Homecoming.  As mentioned above, the layout of Disney Springs and what is where is still confusing to me:

7%204%2016%20297_zpszurk91ii.jpg

Here's something nice- check out all of the rocking chairs they have on the wrap-around porch of the Guest Services building:

7%204%2016%20298_zps1ajpnbdi.jpg

7%204%2016%20299_zpspud3ukaw.jpg

7%204%2016%20301_zpslkfrzb3x.jpg

I wouldn't mind waiting for the girls to shop there!

Here's a look back to the D-Luxe Burger building from where I was standing at the Guest Services building.  I thought that big oak tree looked nice, and noticed the lanterns hanging from it.  I figure that tree must have been in place, and they designed and placed the building to compliment it. I know that Disney has moved big trees around its property in the past, but I doubt they would still do something like that.  Little did I know that tree is the Glowing Oak from which the fictitious ranch that started this whole development takes its name:

7%204%2016%20300_zpssynsufnl.jpg

To get to the World of Coke, we passed through the area where there are a bunch of shops in a large brick structure.  This is where Lilly Pulitzer is, and that's where Twin #2 works.  I imagine this structure has a name, but I don't know what it is:

7%204%2016%20302_zpsioesscn1.jpg

A radio station was doing a remote broadcast from in here today:

7%204%2016%20304_zpsreomn79b.jpg

The new Columbia sportswear store located in this unnamed building had just opened in the past week.  For a limited time, CM's were being offered a 40% discount.  What a deal.  I own some Columbia products, and I like them.  They are overpriced, though.  Here's an attractive shirt:

7%204%2016%20305_zpsfqpkjkif.jpg

Go Gata.

It was good to see that not all alligator references had been removed during the big Alligator purge that had taken place after that unfortunate incident at the Grand Floridian.

I noticed that the stockpeople at Columbia have a good sense of humor.  They displayed the shirts of rival schools next to each other:

7%204%2016%20306_zpstiu4iete.jpg

7%204%2016%20307_zpshz6muhnj.jpg

In the end, I didn't buy anything at the Columbia store.  Even with 40% off, it was expensive, and truthfully, I don't really need another Gator shirt.

This was the first time I saw this store open.  I don't know what a Sugarboo is, or what, exactly, they sell in there.  I can't imagine that the rent is cheap here, and I really wonder how many of the new places that have opened here will still be around in a year:

7%204%2016%20308_zpsx7dnqjjb.jpg

I enjoyed sitting on a bench here and waiting for the girls to shop.  Although this big unnamed building is open on each end, it's air conditioned.  I hate to think about that power bill.  Here's a look at the Columbia store from the outside:

7%204%2016%20309_zpsfbjcjrl4.jpg

In the short time I sat there, two groups of young people came by with a guide and listening devices.  I've seen this in the MK before- those are probably new castmembers being trained.  I've never heard of this being done at Downtown Disney before:

7%204%2016%20310_zpsn0xcupff.jpg

This is one end of the big unnamed building- you can see Planet Hollywood out there on the right- the World of Coke is on the left:

7%204%2016%20311_zpswxxajzae.jpg

We headed on out there back into the sun and heat, and on into the World of Coke store.  The first floor is all Coca Cola merchandise as far as the eye can see.  It also seemed to be a gathering place for young folks not from this land.  Over here, a group was completing a very loud chant, which echoed nicely off of the big open spaces provided in this store:

7%204%2016%20312_zpso2ipgmlc.jpg

We knew that there was an open deck on the third floor of the building, and we looked around for the stairs.  We didn't see any, but we found the elevator, and took that up.  The top floor provided a nice view of the Planet Hollywood construction:

7%204%2016%20313_zpsdf5tb7q3.jpg

Here's the view looking out toward Saratoga Springs:

7%204%2016%20315_zpsyil2ncrq.jpg

Twin #2 told me that she had read on a blog that they had some type of innovative cooling system up here on the top deck and that it would never be above 74 degrees up here even on the hottest days.  If that was true, that innovative cooling system was definitely not working, because it was hot as Hades up here.

I wasn't real impressed with what I saw.  Look Coke Freestyle machines!  Just like they have at WaWa and Moe's:

7%204%2016%20316_zpsnhilalmp.jpg

There's a bar here that serves Coke drinks, including a sampler of Coca Cola products from around the world.  Like you can get for free in Epcot, but you have to pay here:

7%204%2016%20318_zps3boycp19.jpg

Check out how many of the customers in this photo actually have drinks:

7%204%2016%20319_zpsgpqskwh1.jpg

These glass walls at the deck edges freak me out a bit.  At night, they serve expensive cocktails up here:

7%204%2016%20320_zpsyjwfsqz7.jpg

Here's another look at the ripped-up Planet Hollywood, with the Edison Restaurant rising behind it:

7%204%2016%20321_zpse25ptceq.jpg

There's that big unnamed brick building:

7%204%2016%20322_zpsiynwbuqo.jpg

And here's one last look at Planet Hollywood and the other ongoing construction, just because it will soon and forever more look very different:

7%204%2016%20323_zpsysf5d7mh.jpg

And here's my last photo- looking down at a big new fountain outside the AMC theater- again that theater building was already there, but this new space is unfamiliar to me:

7%204%2016%20325_zps7oqrssq4.jpg

After this, we headed back to POFQ, and headed home.

That's all I have for you.

As always, thanks for reading, and stay tuned for the next TR.

I am not sure when the next trip will happen- but I'm sure it isn't too far off.

TCD

Thanks for adding all the bonus content.
We hope to be able to take some time to visit Disney Springs in October when we are down that way again. The previous 2 trips we just couldn't pack it into our plans, but looks like we might need to do that.

The stairs are really ramps.  They are at the doorway on the left side of your first picture inside the Coke Store (where the group of people were chanting).  You can see the railing there as well.  The ramps are really nice and easy to walk, with a glass wall and air conditioning.  I almost gave up going upstairs because the elevator line was long.  Then we found the ramp.

3 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Thanks for adding all the bonus content.
We hope to be able to take some time to visit Disney Springs in October when we are down that way again. The previous 2 trips we just couldn't pack it into our plans, but looks like we might need to do that.

I hated going to Downtown Disney, and we seldom went there.  I feel very different about Disney Springs.  It's much easier to get to and from, and there are so many new things to do there.  I think their plan is to stay open late to attract visitors after the parks close.  I'd plan a trip there next time you visit.

3 hours ago, Dalspot ... Karen said:

Sure was!!  Enjoyed it all, thanks TCD!!

Glad you liked it.  Wish I had more.

3 hours ago, daddyphat808 - Eric said:

Thanks as always!

You are most welcome.  Thanks for reading.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

The stairs are really ramps.  They are at the doorway on the left side of your first picture inside the Coke Store (where the group of people were chanting).  You can see the railing there as well.  The ramps are really nice and easy to walk, with a glass wall and air conditioning.  I almost gave up going upstairs because the elevator line was long.  Then we found the ramp.

Thank you for mentioning that.  I forgot to mention that we took the ramp down.  Strange choice, but, like you mentioned, it is air conditioned, and also gives good view of the outside.

29 minutes ago, Seals said:

Is the Disney Springs World of Coke just a store. And what's on the second floor? The one in Atlanta has a museum that you pay to see.. But it's pretty big.

Good question.  I forgot to mention that we peeked in the second floor on our way down.  Currently, it is more Coke merchandise, but I hear that there is a meet and greet opportunity coming here (a polar bear?).  I think that's supposed to open some time in August- I'm not sure if they are going to charge for that, but this being Disney, I wouldn't think so.

TCD

That was a nice looking UGA shirt. Too bad you passed on it. 

I think the same thing about the rent at Disney Springs. We have a high end mall near us that has trouble keeping stores. It will be interesting to see how things go.

I wondered if the Coke place would charge for samples. Do you pay for a cup and then get to try whatever? 

15 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Thanks for all the bonus content! I hope you get in another WDW before too long.

You are welcome, and no worries about me getting back to WDW.  It will happen.

15 hours ago, BigTom said:

Enjoyed it as always. Waiting for the next one.

Thanks.  I can't wait for the next one too.

14 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

That was a nice looking UGA shirt. Too bad you passed on it. 

I think the same thing about the rent at Disney Springs. We have a high end mall near us that has trouble keeping stores. It will be interesting to see how things go.

I wondered if the Coke place would charge for samples. Do you pay for a cup and then get to try whatever? 

I thought you'd like that shirt.  I'll bet it will still be there collecting dust the next time you visit.

I'm sorry I didn't get photos of the World of Coke menu, but it is posted behind the bar.

Of all places, Mousesteps has a thorough blog post with photos of the menus here: http://www.mousesteps.com/extra-features-mainmenu-64/parkresort-updates-mainmenu-65/2044-coca-cola-store-at-disney-springs-opens-store-offers-merchandise-rooftop-beverage-bar-including-beverly-ice-cream-float

These are photos posted in that blog post, not mine:

5_CocaCola.jpg

6_CocaCola.jpg

As you can see- you can buy a "Freestyle Experience" with 5 free refills for anywhere between $3.00 and 3.75.  That's a lot of soda.

The "Tastes of the World" item gets you sixteen different small cups of soda for $8.00.  It looks like this (another Mousesteps photo) :

7_CocaCola.jpg

I guess that could be a fun thing to do.

Also, according to the interwebz, they started serving alcohol up there on the rooftop a couple of weeks ago (we were there on the opening weekend).  I don't have the details on that yet, but I'm sure they're on some blog somewhere.

10 hours ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

Nice ending to a nice trip. I had one last question. All this talk about heat got me thinking. I you had camped at the Fort, I assume you would use your room extension. If so how do you keep it cool in there?

I don't keep the Add-A-Room cool.  It's just a glorified screen room with flaps.  I bring a small fan, and that's it.  For the record, I have camped at the Fort on the 4th of July several times, and there are trip reports right here on ff.net to prove it.  I can handle the normal July weather.   It's not that bad, and there are thousands of people packing the parks who can handle the heat too. This year, we had an exceptionally hot early July.  Much hotter than normal.  Things have become more normal since, with regular afternoon thunderstorms to break up the heat a bit.  It's still hot and humid, but its much more tolerable.

TCD

• 1 month later...

Another fab TR as usual!

Missed enjoying it as you posted but finally got it all read.  So many comments came to me as I read, but of course are now gone, except for a few.

Black shirts in heat...nononono!  Learned that the hard way when taking part in a charity event in Orlando around Lake Eola one hot summer day.  We were given black tee shirts to wear.  My DH was able to ditch his but not me.  Never wear dark colors in the heat again.

Have not been on a Disney cruise yet, but sure hope to remember to read through the TRs  for good advice when we do go.

Have you ever asked a group of assumed freeloaders questions?  Like what camp site are they in?  Which hotel are they staying in?  Or best yet, how or who do you know to get in free?

That burger looks very tasty, even has a slice of tomato that looks fresh and is a thick slice.  Should be served with a fork!

Thanks for the TR.

BTW best fries in Orlando are at Hot Dog Heaven!  The dogs are good too.  One serving of fries feeds both of us.

http://www.hotdogheaven.com/

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, DaveInTN said:

I am anti-Coke Freestyle.  I don't drink soda, but in restaurants with these machines you have to use them to get water.  And most times you end up behind some schmuck who is dumbfounded by all the choices, and takes forever to make their selection.    

You are so right!

Currently, they have two Coke Freestyle machines at the Port Orleans French Quarter resort in the temporary location of their quick serve restaurant.  Two.  For the whole resort.  It's pretty bad.  And the problem is compounded by the fact that they have RFID readers in the machines.  It's an ordeal to get a cup of water.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Another fab TR as usual!

Missed enjoying it as you posted but finally got it all read.  So many comments came to me as I read, but of course are now gone, except for a few.

Black shirts in heat...nononono!  Learned that the hard way when taking part in a charity event in Orlando around Lake Eola one hot summer day.  We were given black tee shirts to wear.  My DH was able to ditch his but not me.  Never wear dark colors in the heat again.

Have not been on a Disney cruise yet, but sure hope to remember to read through the TRs  for good advice when we do go.

Have you ever asked a group of assumed freeloaders questions?  Like what camp site are they in?  Which hotel are they staying in?  Or best yet, how or who do you know to get in free?

That burger looks very tasty, even has a slice of tomato that looks fresh and is a thick slice.  Should be served with a fork!

Thanks for the TR.

BTW best fries in Orlando are at Hot Dog Heaven!  The dogs are good too.  One serving of fries feeds both of us.

http://www.hotdogheaven.com/

Thanks for the tip on Hot Dog Heaven.  I've never been.  I'll have to try to get by there some time.

TCD

• 5 months later...

Going on a 3 night Disney cruise, leaving tomorrow.  So knew I had to do a re-read of this trip report.  Will be with 6 of DH's cousins, who are getting out of PA just before all the snow is due to dump on them.  Thanks TCD for all the great ideas and interesting places to go and things to do.

Going on a 3 night Disney cruise, leaving tomorrow.  So knew I had to do a re-read of this trip report.  Will be with 6 of DH's cousins, who are getting out of PA just before all the snow is due to dump on them.  Thanks TCD for all the great ideas and interesting places to go and things to do.

Are you going to be on the Wonder with all the social media moms?

28 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Wow!  That's awesome!  Have a great time and eat a lot of free Mickey premium bars!

5 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Are you going to be on the Wonder with all the social media moms?

That would be interesting. 

TCD