Anyone else heard of this or participating? It's a quilting thing. I've been sewing for a couple of years but never actually made a quilt. Thought I'd start with this!  It's a contest, but I have no aspirations of winning. 

Basically, there are tons of participating quilt shops in the US, Canada, and even some in UK.  Each shop has designed a row (some did 2 or 3) based on a certain theme, and 8 rows make a quilt. You have to visit the quilt shop to get the free pattern - they will not do online as the purpose of the experience is to draw in traffic. This year the theme is Home Sweet Home, and my local shop being a mile or two from the speedway in Concord, NC, designed a race track with triangle cars going around. It looks pretty hard, so I'm saving it for last.  I got a couple in Boone, NC, last weekend, and had some in-laws mail me stuff from their hometowns (the Memphis one is awesome - has Elvis & Graceland on it.)  A shop in Chattanooga has 2 awesome Harry Potter ones, but no one I know is going there any time soon.  

This runs 6/21-9/6, and sometimes the shops will sell leftover kits online after the end date. I have seen a ton with cute vintage-looking campers on them. I have a lead on one with another in-law.

Anyway, just thought if there were anyone here that might find it interesting and didn't already know about it, I would share!

Here's the website: Row by Row  Also, each state has their own FB page (just search that state's name & row by row experience), where they have pics to all the different rows available in their state (in no organized order), sometimes a map showing all locations, and they've been posting pics of winners with their finished products. One lady in TN actually got 8 rows and finished her quilt in less than 24 hrs.!

3 hours ago, CJHokie said:

Anyone else heard of this or participating? It's a quilting thing. I've been sewing for a couple of years but never actually made a quilt. Thought I'd start with this!  It's a contest, but I have no aspirations of winning. 

Basically, there are tons of participating quilt shops in the US, Canada, and even some in UK.  Each shop has designed a row (some did 2 or 3) based on a certain theme, and 8 rows make a quilt. You have to visit the quilt shop to get the free pattern - they will not do online as the purpose of the experience is to draw in traffic. This year the theme is Home Sweet Home, and my local shop being a mile or two from the speedway in Concord, NC, designed a race track with triangle cars going around. It looks pretty hard, so I'm saving it for last.  I got a couple in Boone, NC, last weekend, and had some in-laws mail me stuff from their hometowns (the Memphis one is awesome - has Elvis & Graceland on it.)  A shop in Chattanooga has 2 awesome Harry Potter ones, but no one I know is going there any time soon.  

This runs 6/21-9/6, and sometimes the shops will sell leftover kits online after the end date. I have seen a ton with cute vintage-looking campers on them. I have a lead on one with another in-law.

Anyway, just thought if there were anyone here that might find it interesting and didn't already know about it, I would share!

Here's the website: Row by Row  Also, each state has their own FB page (just search that state's name & row by row experience), where they have pics to all the different rows available in their state (in no organized order), sometimes a map showing all locations, and they've been posting pics of winners with their finished products. One lady in TN actually got 8 rows and finished her quilt in less than 24 hrs.!

This is interesting!  Wish I was talented with a needle and had the patience.

Good luck to you and even if you don't win, you'll have a cool quilt or two.

10 hours ago, Beckers said:

I looked up the 3 shops by me (mt holly, Burlington and collingswood) nothing cool like Harry Potter but if you want any of them let me know and I'll get them for you.

Thanks so much for the offer! I could only find 2 of those and they weren't my favorite, but I do appreciate.  I was like, this FB page is crazy, it has 3 states on one, but then I see there's only a handful of shops in DE & NJ.  I have like 8 within a reasonable drive (I'd say they are all Charlotte Metro area) of me, but some are just meh.  FL has like a million, but my SILs are in Jax and all the good ones are gulf or way down south.  

Almost finished with my first row yesterday, from Culpeper, VA.  I will post pics as I complete rows, or maybe I'll wait until I have a completed quilt. No, that may take a long time.

1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Me too Beckers.  There are a lot with a camping theme on them.

Yes, with the Home Sweet Home theme, a lot of shops went with campers. Makes sense to me. B)  A lot of shops have used bee hives and birdhouses. While I get what they're going for, not my fave.  Sevierville has a cool one with a cave, 2 bears, and a camper. 

This one is awesome. Scroll down just a bit and you'll see it.  Alas, it is like 4 hours from me.  Murphy, NC

2 hours ago, CJHokie said:

Thanks so much for the offer! I could only find 2 of those and they weren't my favorite, but I do appreciate. 

Most of them aren't attractive at all lol. Leave it up to the places by me to be disappointing lol.

good luck with you rows and post pics!!!

22 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I'm not far from the Palmetto Florida shop if I'd be more than happy to get the one there for you. It's a camper on the beach with manatees I think.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That one's really cute. That would be awesome if it's not that far out of your way. They might try to sell you a kit with the fabric for it, but the free pattern only is fine.  I will PM you my address.  Unless you are a psychopathic internet predator, and then I will have to move. 

21 hours ago, Beckers said:

Most of them aren't attractive at all lol. Leave it up to the places by me to be disappointing lol.

good luck with you rows and post pics!!!

Haha, there are some disappointing ones around me, too!  

Thanks, I did finish one and looked at the other 3 patterns I have .They look really hard and I need some more supplies.  

So, this one is from Culpeper, VA. I wasn't sure why they have a checkerboard, but the pattern said something about soap box derby there, so I guess that's why.  The pattern said to put the letters wherever you want, and I really couldn't come up with a symmetrical way to not bother my OCD. Of course after I was finished I looked on the VA FB group and saw they got it to work by skipping every other square. :angry:  Also, maybe if I were taller, I could fit the whole row in my camera screen.

BF78A6FA-EE9F-49CA-A762-8D62B49FE0AC.jpg

That one's really cute. That would be awesome if it's not that far out of your way. They might try to sell you a kit with the fabric for it, but the free pattern only is fine.  I will PM you my address.  Unless you are a psychopathic internet predator, and then I will have to move. 

Nope not a psychopathic Internet predator the last time I checked. I will get out there today or tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a camping trip to Maine, where I picked up 2 more patterns, and then I got home and had one waiting in the mail from Derek!

Still have a couple around Charlotte to get, am waiting on my Mom & bro to pick up a couple in NETN, and plan on making a day trip to Mt. Airy (Mayberry). 

I'm going to be busy! Luckily it's 1000 degrees here and I don't want to leave the house. :D

15 hours ago, McMonsters..........Kelly said:

Very cool! I sew and have done some machine quilting before the kids took up all my spare time. Now I mostly do doll clothes and kid dresses. I wish I could get back into quilting, the piecing is very calming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, haven't done a lot of piecing, but I find sewing in general relaxing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished another row. Now just 6 to go and the actual quilting (which I'm not sure how to go about).  I'll let you guess where this one is from. 

It was a LOT of cutting and piecing but the pattern had great step-by-step instructions, so even a n00b like me was able to do it. 

PS - it looks a little uneven in the pic but that's just the angle. It's hard to fit these things in a picture.  And in case you were wondering, I have a flannel sheet hanging on the wall to make a "design wall" and that's what it's hanging on.

IMG_1195.jpg

• 5 weeks later...