After the holliday week and having pulled our 5er from Ky to SC I'd like to ask what are some of the worst roads you've had to travel down in a RV or towing a TT?

For me its still I-40 from Asheville NC to Knoxville Tn.  Its steep, narrow, windy, and packed with holiday travelers that just don't care

A very close 2nd would be I-75 through Atlanta Ga..  Make sure you have plenty of fuel, and plenty of snacks, you'll be there for a while.

3rd would have to be I-70 out of Denver to Vail also knows as teh Eisenhower pass.  Though this is steep its got plenty of travel lanes and isn't all that windy.

So lets hear it

When we used to travel to my folks house south of Louisville we would go up through West Virginia and across I-64 to avoid I-40 west of Asheville and I-75 north of Knoxville. Even though it was a bit longer mileage wise it was shorter time.

For worst road I would have to go with I-95 starting around Quantico, Va north to at least the New Jersey border (the farthest I've driven it). Every time we drive it is seems like rush hour regardless of the time of day or where we are at the moment.

Most any road within the borders of Pennsylvania.  There was one section of US 15 above New Buffalo that was new concrete but it made it feel like I had a flat.  I pulled over twice within 4 miles just to make sure none of the tires were flat.

Although its gotten a bit better over the years, I still have to say that the southbound lanes of I-95 between Dillon, SC and Florence, SC have to be the roughest section of road to either drive or pull an RV on.  The concrete seam spacing seems to be just far enough apart to shake your teeth out.  Along with the sections of crumbling and patched concrete add to the ride...

The road from Gatlinburg Tennessee to Cade's cove.  We scrapped one of the rock walls when a 40 some foot 5er came barreling around one of the hairpin turns. Ripped our awning to shreds

1 hour ago, Starbuc71 said:

The road from Gatlinburg Tennessee to Cade's cove.  We scrapped one of the rock walls when a 40 some foot 5er came barreling around one of the hairpin turns. Ripped our awning to shreds

Never been down that but I did go 441 from Gatlinburg to Cherokee WITHOUT the camper just in the truck and that was miserable. 

Do you mean the one within the park (with the Sugarhill visitor center)?  I can't imagine towing something along that road!  Glad you made it with only that damage.  People seem to think they can take the inside lane of a turn on that road egardless of what side of the road they belong on.  I dislike it even when just driving my truck.

There is a road back a bit in Townsend that heads up to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg that is a bit better.  It is outside of the park.

2 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Try driving the road between Angel Fire and Taos New Mexico towing a camper, so many curves we checked our own brake lights!!! Scenery wise worth the ride but not towing

Haven't had the opportunity to camp much of the south west, I believe thats coming in the next few years.

2 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Don't pass that up, especially Arizona and Utah.  It is all beautiful though.

We've traveled in the south west, just never by camper we would fly in and visit parks and cities then fly home.  Its a 3 day drive from Northern Ky and now days we travel with our 2 year old...

2 minutes ago, bdm said:

We've traveled in the south west, just never by camper we would fly in and visit parks and cities then fly home.  Its a 3 day drive from Northern Ky and now days we travel with our 2 year old...

We took our camper from Central Florida a couple of years ago and drove out to the Grand Canyon, staying at Trailer Village.  It was our third trip out there, but first with the camper.  Trailer Village, although basic, was a great place since you were inside the park, about a half mile from the rim.  We spent six days hiking and wished we stayed longer.  From there we drove to Moab, UT, which is a great drive through Monument Valley.  Incredible scenery.  We stayed in Moab and visited Arches National Park for the second time, as well as Canyonlands National Park.  Just a terrific trip.

Although we've been to Bryce and Zion, we want to go back with the camper, and hit the North rim of the canyon again as well as Capital reef National park, which we've never visited.

May be tough drive with a 2 year old, but won't be too long before it will be fine.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

Do you mean the one within the park (with the Sugarhill visitor center)?  I can't imagine towing something along that road!  Glad you made it with only that damage.  People seem to think they can take the inside lane of a turn on that road egardless of what side of the road they belong on.  I dislike it even when just driving my truck.

There is a road back a bit in Townsend that heads up to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg that is a bit better.  It is outside of the park.

Yes, that's the road.  Never again.  The road 441 from Townsend to pigeon forge is better, but a few semi's think they can travel that road and it can get tight. Unfortunately coming up from FL via 75 and staying east of Gatlinburg, we always take 75 to 40 which ads an extra hour, but it's safer

Yes, that's the road.  Never again.  The road 441 from Townsend to pigeon forge is better, but a few semi's think they can travel that road and it can get tight. Unfortunately coming up from FL via 75 and staying east of Gatlinburg, we always take 75 to 40 which ads an extra hour, but it's safer

Did you ever try Townsend?  We stay at Big Meadows Family Campground and like it.  It is really convenient to the park, especially the Cades Cove area.

8 hours ago, Duane said:

Although its gotten a bit better over the years, I still have to say that the southbound lanes of I-95 between Dillon, SC and Florence, SC have to be the roughest section of road to either drive or pull an RV on.  The concrete seam spacing seems to be just far enough apart to shake your teeth out.  Along with the sections of crumbling and patched concrete add to the ride...

You need to try that section in a Camaro with sport suspension, make your teeth rattle.

On 7/12/2016 at 2:30 PM, djsamuel said:

Did you ever try Townsend?  We stay at Big Meadows Family Campground and like it.  It is really convenient to the park, especially the Cades Cove area.

Big Meadow is where we have a big T@B rally next spring. I've heard great thing about the place. Can't wait

5 minutes ago, the_Meirkat said:

That stretch of I20 between Atlanta and Birmingham.  The pavement is awful and the semis are flying.  Doesn't seem to matter if we are heading out or coming home (to Atlanta) because it's horrible both ways.

At least the harmonic waves are about gone :)

On 7/12/2016 at 3:30 PM, djsamuel said:

Is there a pool at Big Meadows?  We live just north of Chattanooga, and this area is so convenient, but Pigeon Forge makes our skin crawl.  Our 3 kids,  though, would revolt without a pool!

On 7/23/2016 at 8:44 PM, VFLnSFD said:

Is there a pool at Big Meadows?  We live just north of Chattanooga, and this area is so convenient, but Pigeon Forge makes our skin crawl.  Our 3 kids,  though, would revolt without a pool!

No pool, but there is a splash area for kids, and people do swim in the river, and go tubing.