• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When renting the alligator feeders, do you have to sign any sort of waiver or do they just give you the paddles and a shove?

We need answers, folks. I've also been curious about how far the Fence Frenzy has gone. I paid a visit to Twin #2 on Saturday, September 10, 2016.  We were going to meet up for a meal at Dis

LOL. If the Commissioner needs a fish to be picked up, Captain Awesome 7.3 will be there in a flash with his pliers!  TCD

On 8/23/2016 at 11:08 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Now you watch yourself- that's Captain Awesome 7.3 you're calling a wimp!

TCD

Now I am picturing a huge "7.3" flashing in the sky whenever the city needs to call CAPTAIN AWESOME!....   seven point three.....    :lol:

26 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Now I am picturing a huge "7.3" flashing in the sky whenever the city needs to call CAPTAIN AWESOME!....   seven point three.....    :lol:

LOL. If the Commissioner needs a fish to be picked up, Captain Awesome 7.3 will be there in a flash with his pliers! 

TCD

Last night we walked the trail from the Settlement Trading Post to the 300 loop.  All is fenced, with plenty of alligator/snake warning signs; but not one "No Fishing" sign.  However, you will have to fish off of the bridge or over the fence.  The "Trail Closed" signs were turned so the "No Electric Cart" sign was facing out and the cones were moved out of the way.  It seems as though they close the trail in the evenings now. 

The only No Fishing signs we saw are at the pond near the Meadows pool/movie area.

2 hours ago, djsamuel said:

The only No Fishing signs we saw are at the pond near the Meadows pool/movie area.

Back in July, they were also along the canal thru the meadow and behind the tennis courts, but only in the meadow sides of the canal.  On the side facing the loops it was just the animal warning signs and we saw people fishing from there

20 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Last night we walked the trail from the Settlement Trading Post to the 300 loop.  All is fenced, with plenty of alligator/snake warning signs; but not one "No Fishing" sign.  However, you will have to fish off of the bridge or over the fence.  The "Trail Closed" signs were turned so the "No Electric Cart" sign was facing out and the cones were moved out of the way.  It seems as though they close the trail in the evenings now. 

Thanks for the update, Doug!

Captain Awesome needs to lose the pliers or check his super hero card at the door.  Last I heard, no one was catching piranhas at the Fort.  ;)

(says the girl that used to go ice fishing with her Dad and bait all the hooks with live shiners while he drank coffee)

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in fishing, here is an update:

Lake patrol informed us that fishing is allowed behind the rope fence along the canals in the 300 loop to the 1600 loop.

There is also fishing by the open tent areas and back of the meadows from the dock. There is still no fishing on the lake. 

19 minutes ago, Campingirl said:

For those interested in fishing, here is an update:

Lake patrol informed us that fishing is allowed behind the rope fence along the canals in the 300 loop to the 1600 loop.

There is also fishing by the open tent areas and back of the meadows from the dock. There is still no fishing on the lake. 

Ken fish FW.jpg

Welcome and thanks for the update! 

We just got back from WDW today.  We didn't make it to the Fort, but we did take the boat from the MK to the GF and Polly.  At those resorts the only places I saw the fences were on their beaches.  Every place else was wide open with just the warning signs.  Along the GF area there was the rocks, but they looked like they had been there for a while.

So why are they going fence crazy at the Fort?

Nice looking fish.

15 hours ago, Travisma said:

They might be going fence crazy with the Fort as the people staying there tend to move about more than at the resorts. When we stay there we walk around a lot and frequently run into other people doing the same. I think you also have more unsupervised kids at the Fort. I know when ours were still young they would have been off on bikes or fishing on their own.

15 hours ago, Travisma said:

We just got back from WDW today.  We didn't make it to the Fort, but we did take the boat from the MK to the GF and Polly.  At those resorts the only places I saw the fences were on their beaches.  Every place else was wide open with just the warning signs.  Along the GF area there was the rocks, but they looked like they had been there for a while.

Those resorts don't have the canals and pond like the Fort. They also don't promote fishing. 

22 hours ago, Travisma said:

Not to be glib but it could just be because they're Disney and they can!  Or the cynical side of me says they may have got a great deal on fence posts and want to use them up.

Has anyone found out yet if they've put the fence behind 1500?

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:18 PM, Travisma said:

Has there been any updates if they are fencing behind all the loops that border the canals, and if they are fencing the meadow canal?

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, Starbuc71 said:

Has anyone seen the completed fence at the pool yet?  Is it done yet?  Any pics?

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:58 PM, lightbikes said:

Has anyone found out yet if they've put the fence behind 1500?

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:57 PM, sjames said:

just wondering if the fence goes all the way past 1600 and 1800 up to the golf course gate?

We need answers, folks.

I've also been curious about how far the Fence Frenzy has gone.

I paid a visit to Twin #2 on Saturday, September 10, 2016.  We were going to meet up for a meal at Disney Springs and then go and cash in a couple of FP+'s at Epcot on what will probably be the last uncrazy Saturday of the year (Food and Wine starts this week, followed immediately by the Christmas craziness).

As luck would have it, I arrived early, and had about an hour to kill.

Plenty of time for a quick fence check.

So, here we go.

This is the situation behind the Meadow Trading Post- no fences around the Fishin' Hole, and Bob's Dock is still open for business:

9%2010%2016%20001_zpss4hfi6a9.jpg

Note that there is a No Fishing/Don't get eaten by an alligator or bitten by a snake sign right next to the dock:

9%2010%2016%20002_zpsvjweuvvm.jpg

Since there are no No Fishing signs on the dock itself, it is apparently OK to fish from the dock.

There's a canoe in the Fishin' Hole:

9%2010%2016%20003_zps7ciljzec.jpg

Now we are looking at the canal that feeds into the Fishin' Hole.  That's the 1300 loop on the right.  Note there are no fences on either bank of the canal:

9%2010%2016%20004_zpsqror2ivr.jpg

Starbuc71 requested photos of the finished pool fence.  We can see a bit of it from here- but that fence around the splash area was already there:

9%2010%2016%20005_zpski8npljj.jpg

Here's one last look at the Fishin' Hole- no fences around it on this side either; but there is a No Fishing sign there on the left in front of that rock:

9%2010%2016%20006_zpswcmcqy7o.jpg

There is a new gate at the Splash Zone:

9%2010%2016%20007_zpsiuexhke6.jpg

Now we are in the covered area next to the Meadow Pool Snake Bar (that Snake reference is for the original Fiends who may still be around). The covered area is outside of the fence:

9%2010%2016%20008_zpsgs0sxnxd.jpg

This shot is taken from near the restrooms, looking toward the covered area.  As you can see, a visit to the restroom from the pool will require you to exit from a gate and walk around the fence:

9%2010%2016%20009_zpserzzn12j.jpg

I'm guessing that the thought here is that the restrooms will still be accessible when the pool is closed.

There are no Magic Band readers on any of the gates.  I was able to walk right in and onto the pool deck.  There are several gates.  Here's one on the far side of the restroom building, near the hot tub:

9%2010%2016%20010_zpsg9zihleo.jpg

If you look behind the slide in these shots, you can see the fence is right behind it:

9%2010%2016%20011_zpshonsnskf.jpg

9%2010%2016%20012_zpsptlxpywp.jpg

The fence line is right at the edge of the pool deck, so the dining pavilion is now fenced off from the pool, but there is a gate provided here so the freeloaders can still come and go as they wish:

9%2010%2016%20013_zpsh6ylne1d.jpg

There was a fancy party going on in the pavilion, complete with a cupcake display:

9%2010%2016%20014_zpsymisruox.jpg

A couple more looks at the fence:

9%2010%2016%20015_zpsoh2wgpvd.jpg

9%2010%2016%20016_zpsz5uhtd8f.jpg

The speculation that the chainlink fence around the playground would only be temporary appears to have been wishful thinking:

9%2010%2016%20017_zpsl2tszhtw.jpg

The pool is completely enclosed by the new fence.  There are picnic tables off to the left, under the trees, just outside of what you can see in this shot:

9%2010%2016%20018_zpscnqsavcl.jpg

Now we are on the path to the footbridge that leads to the 1500 loop bus stop:

9%2010%2016%20019_zpsq2hjpq4i.jpg

This is the canal that separates the Meadow area from the 1300 loop- there are no fences here, but there are No Fishing signs:

9%2010%2016%20020_zpsd3jteplh.jpg

There is no fencing along the canal where the footbridge crosses it.  There is a No Fishing sign over there hidden in the weeds:

9%2010%2016%20021_zpsaccbdqr6.jpg

Here's the view from the bridge looking toward the 1300 loop:

9%2010%2016%20022_zpsvaydimls.jpg

I headed in to the 1500 loop, and walked toward the back.  There were several open sites just after noon on a Saturday, which means the Fort isn't even filling up on weekends this time of year.

Here's an interesting pop up camper- it's basically just a tent on a small trailer.  I looked at one of these at an RV show- they're pretty cool:

9%2010%2016%20023_zpshgarrohe.jpg

Here's a nice tent set-up.  I wonder what's in that EZ up?:

9%2010%2016%20024_zpsjsxol9pa.jpg

Site 1511 was vacant.  This is the area next to it.  That sign on the gate is new:

9%2010%2016%20025_zpsbcqcu8sq.jpg

Now we are in the area behind site 1511- this is the same canal that runs behind the 300 loop and feeds into Bay Lake, where all of the new fences are that we saw in the photos posted earlier on this thread.  As you can see there are no fences along this stretch of the canal:

9%2010%2016%20026_zpsgdqimavc.jpg

That last shot was taken looking toward the direction of the 300 loop.  Now, we are turned and looking in the direction of the 1600 loop, and the Four Seasons Resort beyond that.  No fences here either:

9%2010%2016%20027_zpsps8rqs4y.jpg

The signs posted along this canal are just the Alligator/Snake warning signs, not the No Fishing signs:

9%2010%2016%20028_zpspd2zwcc5.jpg

Here are two more photos showing the canal banks looking both ways:

9%2010%2016%20029_zpsf8bkt9g7.jpg

9%2010%2016%20030_zpslkmwxmkb.jpg

Now we know.

I continued walking around the loop on the way out.  Here's a nice tent set-up.  Note the large dorm fridge set up in the porch area of that closer tent:

9%2010%2016%20031_zpskm5eyfbu.jpg

Site 1516 was empty, which gave me access to the canal that is behind this part of the loop.  This is the canal that connects to the larger canal we just looked at and runs back toward the Bike Barn:

9%2010%2016%20032_zpsyzlezbuu.jpg

I guessed that there wouldn't be any fences back here, and there aren't:

9%2010%2016%20033_zpsgfq1jbtt.jpg

9%2010%2016%20034_zpske4iylto.jpg

That's site 1513 over there.  It's amazing how private some of these partial sites are compared to the more expensive preferred and premium sites.  But let's keep that between us:

9%2010%2016%20035_zpsh3bp13aq.jpg

Now we are heading back to the Meadow Trading Post.  There's the tennis courts:

9%2010%2016%20036_zpsc4ijlbvm.jpg

And this is the Meadow from which this area gets its name:

9%2010%2016%20037_zpsl7baigoe.jpg

Now we are walking along the outside of the pool.  Here's another gate:

9%2010%2016%20038_zpsfvi4bsmf.jpg

There's a new bike rack set up here behind the slide:

9%2010%2016%20039_zpsjkbiuwf4.jpg

Here we are looking across the canal with the pool to our backs-that's the 1300 loop on the other side of the canal.  As you can see, all the sites along this part of the loop are vacant:

9%2010%2016%20040_zpswwhrrgac.jpg

Another look at the fence on this side of the pool:

9%2010%2016%20041_zps1klqadex.jpg

Here's the gate at the Splash Zone area:

9%2010%2016%20042_zps4jhbjl7z.jpg

I didn't count them, and there may have been one that I missed, but I think there are 6 gates that provide access to the pool deck.  None of them have Magic Band readers.

Look at that long picnic table.  I don't remember seeing that here before:

9%2010%2016%20043_zpschdlk58i.jpg

I finished up at the Trading Post, and decided to take a few photos of the Fort Wilderness merchandise section.  These don't have anything to do with the Fence Frenzy, but I'm sharing them anyway:

9%2010%2016%20044_zpsgetxozgq.jpg

9%2010%2016%20045_zpsoyoq0rfs.jpg

9%2010%2016%20046_zpsa6vltimv.jpg

9%2010%2016%20047_zpsb2suwxpm.jpg

It seems like there are less t-shirts.  And there were no ceramic coffee cups- just the travel tumblers.

Now we all know the current status of the Fence Frenzy. 

I wonder if they're done with the Frenzy or if more fences are on the way?

TCD

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

On the 1300 side of the canal, they only had the warning signs, not the no fishing signs, they were only in the meadow area.

LOL.  So, it's dangerous to fish on one side of a 10 foot wide canal, but not on the other?

Classic.

Just like all of the fences they put up along the canal by the 300 loop.  The man-eating gators just have to swim up to the 1500 loop.  I guess people paying for partial sites are expendable.

53 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Thanks for the update, TCD!!

You are welcome.  I've been wanting to know what was going on myself.

TCD

Okay... so I'm confused.  If they didn't put readers on the gate, why did they install them?  Was it really to keep out gators?  I can't imagine that's it, but I don't understand why the readers are not on there??  Although, let's be honest, the freeloaders have friends and those friends will pay for one site and let in 20 others.

On a different note, the fall decorations make me excited.  I'm hoping for some fall weather here in GA soon. 

15 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Okay... so I'm confused.  If they didn't put readers on the gate, why did they install them? 

The fence and gates are consistent with what they've installed over the past few years at all of the WDW resorts.  I think their purpose is to lock everyone out when the pools are closed and not in operation.  The alligator attack had nothing to do with this- the fencing started after an after-hours drowning at Pop Century two plus years ago,

It's a sad thing.  The Fort's pools used to be open 24 hours a day.  Taking a dip in the pool was a fun thing to do after a long, hot day in the parks.  Now, they'll lock the pools up when it's closing time.

TCD

9 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The fence and gates are consistent with what they've installed over the past few years at all of the WDW resorts.  I think their purpose is to lock everyone out when the pools are closed and not in operation.  The alligator attack had nothing to do with this- the fencing started after an after-hours drowning at Pop Century two plus years ago,

It's a sad thing.  The Fort's pools used to be open 24 hours a day.  Taking a dip in the pool was a fun thing to do after a long, hot day in the parks.  Now, they'll lock the pools up when it's closing time.

TCD

Hmmm... gotcha.  Thank you.

When they were open 24 hours... was there a lifeguard?   If so, my guess is it got too expensive to man and maybe out of hand (loud people).  

7 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Hmmm... gotcha.  Thank you.

When they were open 24 hours... was there a lifeguard?   If so, my guess is it got too expensive to man and maybe out of hand (loud people).  

The pools were open 24 hours a day up until just a few years ago.  The cabin pool never had lifeguards, and the main pool's lifeguards would go off duty, and post a sign that swimming was at your own risk.  Things did get crazy at the pool.  I remember one late night when we were there after midnight after a really hot summer day, and there were kids using the lifeguard stand as a diving board.  I'm not sure if their parents were around, but that was a very unsafe situation.

It's easier (and cheaper) for Disney to just lock the pools up.

Too bad.

TCD