1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The fence and gates are consistent with what they've installed over the past few years at all of the WDW resorts.  I think their purpose is to lock everyone out when the pools are closed and not in operation.  The alligator attack had nothing to do with this- the fencing started after an after-hours drowning at Pop Century two plus years ago,

It's a sad thing.  The Fort's pools used to be open 24 hours a day.  Taking a dip in the pool was a fun thing to do after a long, hot day in the parks.  Now, they'll lock the pools up when it's closing time.

TCD

The other resorts have MagicBand scanners on them.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When renting the alligator feeders, do you have to sign any sort of waiver or do they just give you the paddles and a shove?

We need answers, folks. I've also been curious about how far the Fence Frenzy has gone. I paid a visit to Twin #2 on Saturday, September 10, 2016.  We were going to meet up for a meal at Dis

LOL. If the Commissioner needs a fish to be picked up, Captain Awesome 7.3 will be there in a flash with his pliers!  TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

guess people paying for partial sites are expendable.

What about those of us who stay in premium water sites in the 1300 loop? Are we just chopped liver?

Of course I'm happy the way it is. It was nice to be able to drop a line or watch the wading birds without anything getting in the way.

8 minutes ago, keith_h said:

What about those of us who stay in premium water sites in the 1300 loop? Are we just chopped liver?

Of course I'm happy the way it is. It was nice to be able to drop a line or watch the wading birds without anything getting in the way.

Apparently, y'all are expendable too.

Or else they figure that gators won't swim all the way through the green slime to get to the 1300 loop?

4 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Perhaps the readers will be added on. Different crew from the fence crew maybe?

Possibly.  Or, they might not install them at all.  As I mentioned above, there are no readers on the gates for the pool at POFQ.

I figure with 6 (or more) gates, there's no way they're going to install that many MB readers at the Fort.

TCD

3 minutes ago, arthuruscg said:

The main pool at Art of Animation has one. I thought the MB scanners were going to be standard on new gate installations.

Yes, I know there's one at the AoA pool.

And there's one at the Bay Lake Tower pool.

I know they didn't have MB readers at POFQ when we stayed there over the 4th of July.  I don't remember a MB reader at the Coronado Springs pools when we stayed there last year.

If you've been at the AoA pool, you know the MB reader is pretty much a joke, as everyone holds the gate open for each other.  I've seen the same at Wilderness Lodge, but I'm not sure if they have a MB scanner.

At the Yacht and Beach club pool, they have a CM stationed at the pool entrance with a hand-held MB scanner.  They don't mess around there.

TCD

We would go swimming at the pool when we got back from the parks it was nice 12 to 1 a.m.  No one was ever in the pool. But the out side temperature was around 50 my wife said I was crazy, I said come on its vacation and we would freeze together.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Not all of them do.  I know they don't at Port Orleans French Quarter.  The fence and gates there look similar to what has been installed at the Fort- and there is no Magic Band scanner.

TCD

Some had the fences first and then added the readers, while as TCD says, others still don't have them.  I hope they add them at the Fort, but I'm not anticipating anything.  

4 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Does anyone know if there have been any changes at the cabin pool?  That one has had a fence for a while, but we went several times last November fairly late in the evening and it was never locked.

All you have to do is cut through the bushes on each side so why lock the gate.

15 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We would go swimming at the pool when we got back from the parks it was nice 12 to 1 a.m.  No one was ever in the pool. But the out side temperature was around 50 my wife said I was crazy, I said come on its vacation and we would freeze together.

One of my favorite Fort memories is from a time we were camping in January, and there was a freeze warning.  We were out looping late at night,  probably around 11:30, and there were people swimming in the pool.  It was in the 40's at that point, and steam was rising off the water like crazy.  We went to the camper, got our suits, and joined them.  It was fine in the water, but it was brutal when it was time to get out.

12 hours ago, Seals said:

All Star Music has fence/gates around the pools but no MB reader.

Thanks for confirming that.  I didn't think they had them at the value resorts, and I'm not even sure that all of their pools are fenced.

TCD

On September 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

The signs posted along this canal are just the Alligator/Snake warning signs, not the No Fishing signs:

9%2010%2016%20028_zpspd2zwcc5.jpg

Thanks TCD - appreciate your sleuthing.  1511 is our favourite site at WDW and the last picture we have from the exact spot you took this picture is of an 8 point buck on the far side of the canal.

On September 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

That's site 1513 over there.  It's amazing how private some of these partial sites are compared to the more expensive preferred and premium sites.  But let's keep that between us:

Yes please, we would prefer that the entire 1500 loop remain a closely guarded secret!!

20 minutes ago, lightbikes said:

Thanks TCD - appreciate your sleuthing.  1511 is our favourite site at WDW and the last picture we have from the exact spot you took this picture is of an 8 point buck on the far side of the canal.

Yes please, we would prefer that the entire 1500 loop remain a closely guarded secret!!

My pleasure.  I thought you liked 1511.  So does Travisma. 

It seems like the fence frenzy has stopped.  I hope it has.

You know I was only kidding about the 1500 loop.  I know it's awful.  I just wanted to make sure that people who don't know better will request it instead of the 2000 loop which is way nicer in every respect.

TCD

4 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

One of my favorite Fort memories is from a time we were camping in January, and there was a freeze warning.  We were out looping late at night,  probably around 11:30, and there were people swimming in the pool.  It was in the 40's at that point, and steam was rising off the water like crazy.  We went to the camper, got our suits, and joined them.  It was fine in the water, but it was brutal when it was time to get out.

Thanks for confirming that.  I didn't think they had them at the value resorts, and I'm not even sure that all of their pools are fenced.

TCD

I think every time we got in that pool at night there was steam rolling off it(but our disney travel months werent November-January). But your right the water was fine, the bike ride back to the camper was a a different story.

23 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you've been at the AoA pool, you know the MB reader is pretty much a joke, as everyone holds the gate open for each other. 

This is true, and I've actually had the same thing at Bay Lake Tower pool as well.

Cody

On 9/12/2016 at 2:26 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

The pools were open 24 hours a day up until just a few years ago.  The cabin pool never had lifeguards, and the main pool's lifeguards would go off duty, and post a sign that swimming was at your own risk.  Things did get crazy at the pool.  I remember one late night when we were there after midnight after a really hot summer day, and there were kids using the lifeguard stand as a diving board.  I'm not sure if their parents were around, but that was a very unsafe situation.

It's easier (and cheaper) for Disney to just lock the pools up.

Too bad.

TCD

I thought the quiet pool was 24 hrs a day still, or at least I think it was when I first took notice. Not that we've ever visited it... :)

• 4 months later...

We are here now.  Very surprised to see all the playgrounds fenced.  What was the rationale?  If it's safety I guess I understand but personally I find them sort of unsightly.  Beach fence just makes me sad.