River Country Again

Getting back to the topic at hand, what's with the name "Project 89?"  And this application was submitted by a company called LandDesign. I don't think they were involved with the previous plans. And this drawing references a 20' wide path. There isn't an existing 20' wide path where it's indicated on the drawing. Are they going to make one?

river-country-drilling-permit.jpg

TCD 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once again I had a chance to speak with the CM noted in the first post in this topic.  I am told DVC has dibs on the River Country area, but has not decided what to do with it yet.  CM states progress

I think there are two changes that could benefit the Fort for regular people... they are admittedly small things, but I think they could have a big impact:   1. Reduce the number of people a

Hi All.  First Post, Long time lurker.  I thought the group might be interested in the following.  DW and I were having a discussion with a long-time cast member.  DW asks the CM, what are you going t

3 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

It also says "temporary impact". If that's all designated wetland how can they build there?

As shown by the last set of plans, they had the whole resort proposed to be built on the designated wetlands shown in this "temporary impact" drawing. So they apparently can build whatever they want there. 

TCD 

26 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

As shown by the last set of plans, they had the whole resort proposed to be built on the designated wetlands shown in this "temporary impact" drawing. So they apparently can build whatever they want there. 

TCD 

I wonder if the area of the map alongside of the trail to WL is where they will be putting parking?

And if they do build, I wonder if the main structure will be as tall as the monstrosity at Golden Oaks?

Whats ambiance when you can make the big $$$$

I think the previous proposal was at least 6 stories, so it was similar to WL. If they choose to compact it into a smaller footprint with the same number of rooms and amenities, it will obviously get taller. Pretty sure someone here mentioned seeing test balloons a while back in that area.

36 minutes ago, BayLake Campers said:

The orange out line is from what I saw yesterday on the SFWMD web page for the project boundary, today it was revised to just the red outlines. 

Was it another mistake or is the project bigger then they want us to know? 

t7NRET5.jpg

Thanks for sharing that, Warren. 

I can't help but notice that the orange line excludes the existing horse barn and pony ride area. All the area south of Wilderness Way wasn't part of the last plans. 

I think you're right about the cabins, and maybe the whole project is going to move back from the lake, and they're reconsidering that awful parking lot next to Pioneer Hall. 

TCD 

12 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for sharing that, Warren. 

I can't help but notice that the orange line excludes the existing horse barn and pony ride area. All the area south of Wilderness Way wasn't part of the last plans. 

I think you're right about the cabins, and maybe the whole project is going to move back from the lake, and they're reconsidering that awful parking lot next to Pioneer Hall. 

TCD 

The blue looks like where they are going to have to lay down a road/some sort of material to support the equipment needed to do the borings?

55 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The blue looks like where they are going to have to lay down a road/some sort of material to support the equipment needed to do the borings?

When I've seen oil surveys down along the coast they just clear the underbrush so the big all-wheel drive seismic trucks can get through and everything will grow back. I've also seen loggers do a similar thing then lay down a heavy plank roadway that is removed when the logging is complete. I would guess the company doing the test bores will do something similar depending upon the soil conditions and type of equipment.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

That's what this is. Any type of activity is a disturbance to a wetland. I used to do wetland delineation. They will probably bring in an all terrain rig to do the borings and blow counts. They could lay down road base or use mud mats. 

Wetland delineation is usually done on foot with a hand auger. They will or have already know exactly how many acres of wetland will be destroyed,  and they will buy credits in a mitigation bank. 

19 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I don't recall if this video was ever posted previously when we've discussed the original 2011 DVC plans, but it shows the progression of how construction would have transpired.  It also shows what view we would all be looking at from the boats to MK.  Pretty amazing.  

Yes, this was posted and discussed before. I remember talking about what look like square cabanas on the beach and the guy splashing in the toxic Bay Lake water at the end of the video. 

For the first time, I just noticed where the parking lot is depicted in this video. It looks like it's further to the west than shown on the plans we've seen. However, this video shows the demolition of the barn and ranch at the beginning of the time line. 

Speaking of the guy splashing in the lake, I wonder if they are rethinking putting the resort so close to the lake because of the alligator incident and the ensuing fence overreaction?

TCD 

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the road last week between the Fort and Wilderness Lodge.  Between the TCD barn area and the new parking area for the cabins, there were three, large survey markers placed in the ground along the barn side of the road.  Does anyone think that this might have something to do with the previously noted plans?

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2018 at 7:32 PM, BayLake Campers said:

Just to throw this out there. The STOL dirt stock pile will be 15 acres in size and 18' high, with plans for future dirt storage to the north of that.

That is a lot of dirt. 454,000 cubic yards.

That is the size of RC 18' high. Can we say new park in the future or a lot of wetland to be filled in.

• 3 months later...

For those interested, Mickey Views on YouTube has posted a video discussing plans for the new River Country Resort. I can't figure out how to link to the channel. If your interested, search for Mickey Views on YouTube. Once on his channel, go to Videos and scroll down. He posted the video 3 months ago. 

I personally am hoping Disney does this right and maintains the unique features of the Fort and Wilderness Lodge. It will be a very tight squeeze for sure. I am concerned about the influx of people into the Fort area. Right now the Fort takes a bit to get to. With a new 1,300 plus room resort being added, I see events like the campfire being too crowded and Halloween trick or treating being 10x as bad. Christmas time will be crazy and golf carts from Disney may be difficult to obtain. We're talking 5000 plus people just a door step away. Will they restrict cars from passing through?

On a positive note maybe, since the resorts will be touching neighbors, Fort people will be allowed access to the pools and possible exercise room. Goodness knows they will be allowed to take advantage of Fort stuff. Another quick service restaurant would be nice. Another nice feature is for those who camp with extended family at other resorts. This is a great option for grandma and grandpa, close and easy to get to. I guess it doesn't matter now because starting next year they are moving forward with plans. Again, my hope is Disney does it right and the end result is a beautiful addition to the Fort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They said 900 rooms plus dvc so if there are 4 people to a room and  the resort is at capacity there could be around 4 thousand  people. So much for rocking chairs, boat rides to MK with short lines. The campfire will be overflowing with people. Even if this gives us a couple of eating options it's still not good. I think our quite relaxing Fort may fade away.

On the plus side maybe dvc people that camp will stay there leaving a few extra sites open.