In 10 days we will be at the Fort ...Yeah. And to ad to the exitement...we change the pop up for a travel trailer yesterday!!!!

so I have a couple of question for you guys.

1-we are from Quebec, Canada so we will be driving for 2 days. We plan on stoping to rest in a WalMart. My question is do all Wal Mart accept rv staying for a night? 

2-here we have lots of bitting beast (mosquitos, fly etc.) is that a problem at the fort? Should I bring a truck laos of insect repelant? Insect really like me and my son

3-if we ever run out of propane, is there a place to refill at or near the Fort?

4-we will be in a prefered site is there a loop you recommand? I was thinking maybe 300, the sites look larger...we have a awning on one side and a slide out on the other.

5-since we just bought the travel trailer (will have it in the driveway on saturday) I don't know if we will be able to bring our bikes. So my question is, is it possible to walk to the settlement post and marina from the prefered loop in a reasonable time? We don't want to rent a cart because of the cost...

so that's about it. Sorry if I have lots of question, it is our first time at the Fort. And also sorry if I made some english mistake, it is not my primary language.

Walking is doable, plus there are internal busses

We just got back, and the bugs weren't too bad.  Only felt 1 or 2 mosquitos, and they were on the beach at night for the fireworks.  Yellow biting flies were around, but they don't seem to be everywhere.  Mostly in and around the denser bushes and trees.  If you feel them land, you have a good chance of swatting them, they were very slow.  Don't know if the heat was affecting them.

Tree rats (squirrels) are anther issue.  They are bold, fast, fat and will take any food lying around.  Keep your snacks inside the trailer.

Here's the official word from the check in booklet about propane refills.

Propane tanks are filled at 1:00pm daily at the meadow trading Post.  Tanks must be dropped off prior to noon and will be available for pickup later the same day.  So you have to disconnect the tank from the TT and drop it off.

Wal Marts vary with their "camping" rules. I don't know if they list stores that allow it on their web site.  You could always get a few stores phone numbers in the areas you want to stop and call ahead.  I know in FL you cannot camp in their lots.

Welcome! We always bring bug spray but don't usually need it. My son is a magnet, like if I get bitten once, he has 15.

Plenty of people make English mistakes when it is their primary language, so no worries there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Welcome to the group!

Walmart camping rules are largely influenced by local ordinances.  Have you considered stopping at Pilot/Flying J or Cracker Barrel?

Thank you very much everyone!!! I didn't know about Cracker Barrel. And what is Pilot/Flying J ?

21 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Thank you very much everyone!!! I didn't know about Cracker Barrel. And what is Pilot/Flying J ?

Larger gas station that cater to truckers, and regular drivers.  Big pull thru pumps, usually in a separate area from car drivers.  They have showers and work areas for the truckers.

As already mentioned, Walmart locations vary... as do Cracker Barrels.  Your best bet is to get an idea on where you think you'll be at certain points in the evening, then look 50 miles each way down the interstate for a Walmart and Cracker Barrel.    Bonus to CB, is you can eat breakfast before you leave...that's our favorite part ;)  Once you've called, and find a few that say you can park overnight, I would suggest you go onto google earth and look at the locations.  I've found that helpful when picking our spots as I can see which one will be the easiest to go in and out of (both from the interstate and into their parking lot).

Safe travels!  Have fun!!

7 hours ago, Caroline said:

In 10 days we will be at the Fort ...Yeah. And to ad to the exitement...we change the pop up for a travel trailer yesterday!!!!

so I have a couple of question for you guys.

1-we are from Quebec, Canada so we will be driving for 2 days. We plan on stoping to rest in a WalMart. My question is do all Wal Mart accept rv staying for a night? 

2-here we have lots of bitting beast (mosquitos, fly etc.) is that a problem at the fort? Should I bring a truck laos of insect repelant? Insect really like me and my son

3-if we ever run out of propane, is there a place to refill at or near the Fort?

4-we will be in a prefered site is there a loop you recommand? I was thinking maybe 300, the sites look larger...we have a awning on one side and a slide out on the other.

5-since we just bought the travel trailer (will have it in the driveway on saturday) I don't know if we will be able to bring our bikes. So my question is, is it possible to walk to the settlement post and marina from the prefered loop in a reasonable time? We don't want to rent a cart because of the cost...

so that's about it. Sorry if I have lots of question, it is our first time at the Fort. And also sorry if I made some english mistake, it is not my primary language.

We were at the Fort last week.  Mosquitoes and flies were not bad at all.

Propane is available at the Camping World down the road on US 192 in Kissimmee.  As others have stated, you can also get them filled by dropping them off at the Trading Post.

If you are staying in the Preferred loops, you'll do fine without bikes.  We always stay in those loops.  The walk to the Settlement is easy, and the internal buses will take you to the Outpost to catch the buses to the other parks.

The 300 loop is the only preferred loop that is pet friendly.  If you do not have a pet, the 100 and 200 loops are closer to the settlement.

We stay at WalMarts a lot while traveling.  There is an app for the iPhone called All Stays ONP Walmart.  We've found it to be very accurate and it has a lot of useful information on staying at WalMart.  We always still call ahead and double check that it is OK to stay the night.  Always had a good experience at WalMart.

I'd bring bug spray but you'll probably most likely only need it at dusk and right after it gets dark…unless we get a lot of rain….then they will be crazy.  

7 hours ago, the_Meirkat said:

Bienvenue!  

Only 10 days!  I am so excited for you and your family!  Is this your first trip to the Fort or Disney World?  

My first trip to Fort Wilderness is still months away, sadly.  

My husband and I went to WDW and the Disney cruise in 2003 in our honeymoon, we will celebrate our 13th anniversary on august 9th will we're on site :) . It will be the first visit of my son and he will turn 11th on august 5th while we're there :) . It will be a first at the Fort. I'm so excited.

p.s. It's in 9 days now ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Caroline.  We just returned from the Fort again.  I can understand that you are excited about your trip.  One point I would like to make to you about your travel plans.  We live in Western Pennsylvania and it takes us 18 hours to drive (1010 miles) to the Fort.  We make one overnight stop along the way.  Given you are traveling from Quebec, I wonder if you can safely make it in two days, especially towing.  Please allow plenty of time to arrive safely.  Watch for construction along the I-4 highway.  Best wishes and safe travels.

My husband and I went to WDW and the Disney cruise in 2003 in our honeymoon, we will celebrate our 13th anniversary on august 9th will we're on site :) . It will be the first visit of my son and he will turn 11th on august 5th while we're there :) . It will be a first at the Fort. I'm so excited.

p.s. It's in 9 days now [emoji6] 

My husband and I will be celebrating our 19th anniversary when you celebrate your 13th. Sadly we won't be celebrating at the Fort like you.

So you and your husband should have an extra celebratory drink for us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Caroline.  We just returned from the Fort again.  I can understand that you are excited about your trip.  One point I would like to make to you about your travel plans.  We live in Western Pennsylvania and it takes us 18 hours to drive (1010 miles) to the Fort.  We make one overnight stop along the way.  Given you are traveling from Quebec, I wonder if you can safely make it in two days, especially towing.  Please allow plenty of time to arrive safely.  Watch for construction along the I-4 highway.  Best wishes and safe travels.

Hi! We made the trip in to days but let me tell you that it is the last time we do it that way. Oh boy !we gad over 3 hours of trafic delay around Washington.... It took us 30 hours to get here in total. But we are very happy now, the Fort is perfect, loving it.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk