I last saw it on July 4th, and they had not touched the old comfort station in the middle of the loop.  There was and still is a walkway to the existing comfort station between the 1100 and 2100 loops.  To me it looks like they plan on having guests use that one, which really isn't any different from the situation on most loops.

TCD

23 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I last saw it on July 4th, and they had not touched the old comfort station in the middle of the loop.  There was and still is a walkway to the existing comfort station between the 1100 and 2100 loops.  To me it looks like they plan on having guests use that one, which really isn't any different from the situation on most loops.

TCD

TCD's excellent photos/report from that weekend are in this thread...

http://www.fortfiends.net/topic/17259-renovations-coming-to-fort-wilderness/?page=7#comment-487226

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

They do some expansion to the pads. And the Fort doesnt have pull throughs.

When we first camped at the Fort there were 2.  Yes 2. I don't recall what loop they were in but they went away during some rehab/upgrade or other ages ago.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

When we first camped at the Fort there were 2.  Yes 2. I don't recall what loop they were in but they went away during some rehab/upgrade or other ages ago.

I do remember hearing about 2 but knew they had been gone for quite some time. 

The two pull thru sites were short lived.  The locations stunk.  I remember one opened onto the center roadway and was located near the Meadow trading post.

4 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

They were doing something yesterday in the old comfort station on 2100. Not sure what but the maintenance guys were in there. Today the cable guys are there boring all through the campground.

Ryan

When we left on the 6th of July, the cable TV guys were up near the horse crossing area working on boxes, and some others were planting the little marker flags all over the place..

13 minutes ago, Travisma said:

When we left on the 6th of July, the cable TV guys were up near the horse crossing area working on boxes, and some others were planting the little marker flags all over the place..

Still have flags all over the place. So far I have seen 2 directional boring machines putting conduit under sidewalks today. One was behind of our site and boring towards the canal from the main road.

Ryan

4 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

Still have flags all over the place. So far I have seen 2 directional boring machines putting conduit under sidewalks today. One was behind of our site and boring towards the canal from the main road.

Ryan

Interesting.

I know that they already had cable and Wi-Fi in those cabins, so what are they doing?

I know the cable TV channel line-up is different in the cabins than it is in the campsites.  I wonder if they systems are different and they need to run all new lines?

TCD

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Interesting.

I know that they already had cable and Wi-Fi in those cabins, so what are they doing?

I know the cable TV channel line-up is different in the cabins than it is in the campsites.  I wonder if they systems are different and they need to run all new lines?

TCD

I'm guessing they might be. To the cabins, with "their" TVs, they can mount "their" box of some sort on each TV and have the least amount of information going through the cable. For the "campers" that might have who knows what TV, they have to bring in a different signal so that digital TVs without "their" box can receive channels.

I don't know if I misheard the guy in the meadows this morning that was working the cash register but he said something along the lines that they were going to be supporting DirecTV receivers so that people could get a feed from Disney and people wouldn't need to setup a dish. I don't think he knew what he was talking about to be honest. I take it with a grain of salt.

Ryan

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Interesting.

TCD

Just got to riding around and back past the 2000 loop there is a large spool of fiber optic cable in a spool feed trailer. My guess is that it is related to the coduid I saw them trenching earlier. I have a pic but having issues posting it. Will upload it later.

10 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

Just got to riding around and back past the 2000 loop there is a large spool of fiber optic cable in a spool feed trailer. My guess is that it is related to the coduid I saw them trenching earlier. I have a pic but having issues posting it. Will upload it later.

Could they be setting up WiFi hot spots for the loop?

9 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Could they be setting up WiFi hot spots for the loop?

I stopped and poked around the outside of 2100 and don't see any poles with hotspots on them yet. I was checking out the hotspot in 1300 and 100 last night and I don't see anything like it in 2100. When I rode back past 2100 from the fiber spool, fort personnel was running someone on foot out of 2100. Not sure what they were looking at but it isn't much of a secret what it looks like at this point.

I did follow the fiber line into the hole and it runs a ways up the road into ground vaults marked communications. If it isn't wifi feeds it has to be upgraded back end for the cable distribution. Should be able to figure it out. Used to be a lineman for 2 large cable companies. The stuff they are running back through here is backbone type fiber used to feed smaller areas. I have a theory but need to look around more to figure it out.

Taking this thread slightly off topic but the cable spool is sitting on the road right about the tent camping area past 2000. There is a semi fresh trench most of the way up the side of the road with communications vaults in the ground. Somewhere around 2100 if I remember my ride correctly it cuts under the road from the other side towards 2100 and then runs under the walking path behind of 1100. From there it runs under the road and they are working on the next part which is behind of 1300 and almost directly behind our site. There is a large conduit spool sitting up beside of the meadows trading post.

My theory at this point is that they were feeding the WiFi from the cable system which is slower. I think they are taking a fiber feed over to the meadows from the lodge (closest logical place to hook into something to feed a high speed network). Once it is ran they are going to setup a small telecommunications hub inside the meadows trading post. Once it is in they would have higher network capacity for people like me who hookup the Roku to the WiFi and steam movies (yes this works). At that point a wireless distribution system could be ran in the campground without the need to run additional cabling and power is already available in every loop. Much cheaper than trenching cable for WiFi all over the place.

On a side note, Roku streaming works flawless over the forts wifi. We are sitting out right now beside the camper streaming tomorrowland off of vudu and drinking a few beers.