4 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Mo, if you're having that much swelling, please be careful!

For sure!  After the first time I cut the salt intake way back for the trip, and more water definitely helped - even if it meant a few unscheduled pit stops.

11 minutes ago, keith_h said:

The doctor has provided recommendations and more importantly this is about your health.

This.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the risk of sounding cold this isn't David's choice to make. The doctor has provided recommendations and more importantly this is about your health. This is a condition that can result in death so

I know this has been discussed on various threads through the years ... wanted to start a thread for this topic specifically. David and I have always traveled 500 miles toward the Fort the first

Ok - I have to acknowledge we are completely nuts - we will get into the van and drive straight through from Winnipeg to WDW stopping only for food and gas - two drivers, preferably three when we can get one of the kid to come with us - just around 2100 miles.  But we each take turns going into the back and stretching out and sleeping etc.  

Occasionally we have split it into two days - stopping somewhere around St Louis if we have enough time before our reservation starts.  But usually we have reservations start on Sunday and sometimes we just don't get away before late Friday night.

Again I have to admit we're completely crazy! 

37 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

You're making me feel like a wimp!

Not at all! You don't mess around when you have a history of DVTs!  And like I said, this will be our first road trip-we haven't done it yet, and may discover that 600 miles is a bit much. We're hoping to get a very early start, plan for potty breaks and a breakfast/brunch stop, so we can get to our hotel by dinnertime and relax, use the pool, my hubby can soak in the hot tub, if there is one...

My wife and I try to get rolling before 7am.  We drive until my wife's bladder tells us it time to find a rest area, or Fuel stop if needed.  If we are lucky we get 2 hours before this happens.  Then stop again in another 2 maybe 3 hours for a lunch.  We usually pack something and eat at a rest area, park and spend 1-2 hours stretching walking around or if its nice I've been known to close my eyes on the picnic blanket.  We get back on the road, and most of the time we can make it to about 4 or 5 before stopping for the night with one bathroom break. 

I'm not a fan of 10 hour days on the road, and even less now that we have a 2yr old.  Since the boy came along most of our camping trips have been parks or resorts in the 4 hour drive range from home.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

At the risk of sounding cold this isn't David's choice to make. The doctor has provided recommendations and more importantly this is about your health. This is a condition that can result in death so if it takes an extra day to get to the Fort that's the way it is.

Keith, you aren't sounding cold!  I just have to convince David.

I have also had a DVT due to extended times behind the wheel of my Motor Home.  I first felt it in Arizona and drove all the way back to south FLA before going to the Dr.  He put me in the hospital and kept me there for 5 days.  I'm sure your Dr. also explained to you that DVT's are OFTEN fatal.  So when I follow Dr's orders I drive for no more that 2 hours at a time and stop to stretch and do some exercises.  I will often drive as much as 400 miles a day but will always stop by 4-5 PM.  If you go on line you will find there are exercises you can do while sitting in a car or airplane that are recommended for DVT people.  This is not something that is negotiable. You must pay attention to these simple preventive measures or the next time may be worse.  Drink lots of water and keep the driver drinking lots of water as well so you are both forced to stop to use the rest rooms.

13 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Keith, you aren't sounding cold!  I just have to convince David.

Does David know what your out of pocket expense will be if you have to get medical attention for a DVT?

If he's in such a hurry, let him drive by himself, and hop a plane.  Magical Express can drop you off around the time he's got everything set up.  Maybe give him instructions on what to have on the table for your dinner when you arrive.

TCD

And now, a story.  For those who have blocked my valuable posts, you lose.  Anyway, back a hundred years ago as a young and extremely handsome dental student in Buffalo, NY, I had an instructor whose son was in the Army, stationed at Fort Benning, GA. The son got leave and was anxious to get home and not waste any more leave days than necessary, so he drove straight thru.  Imagine the scene of him driving into his parents driveway while mom and dad were there ready to greet him, he gets out of the car and drops dead immediately.  The blood clot formed in his leg broke loose, travelled to his lung and killed him.  This tragedy is true and impacted a family I knew and cared deeply about.   If you are in the habit of driving long distances without stopping, at the very least you should be moving your legs about.  Lift your heals and exercise those calf muscles.  Better yet, stop every couple hours and walk around a little.

13 hours ago, DinDavie said:

I have also had a DVT due to extended times behind the wheel of my Motor Home.  I first felt it in Arizona and drove all the way back to south FLA before going to the Dr.  He put me in the hospital and kept me there for 5 days.  I'm sure your Dr. also explained to you that DVT's are OFTEN fatal.  So when I follow Dr's orders I drive for no more that 2 hours at a time and stop to stretch and do some exercises.  I will often drive as much as 400 miles a day but will always stop by 4-5 PM.  If you go on line you will find there are exercises you can do while sitting in a car or airplane that are recommended for DVT people.  This is not something that is negotiable. You must pay attention to these simple preventive measures or the next time may be worse.  Drink lots of water and keep the driver drinking lots of water as well so you are both forced to stop to use the rest rooms.

I checked out the exercises online.  Thanks for the tip.  The internet was more informative than my doctor!

Can't believe you drove from Arizona to Florida before going to the doctor.  I was in so much pain that I could barely walk.

55 minutes ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

Gwen,

They make compression socks that go from the foot to the groin.  My daughter had to wear them when she was pregnant because of a varicose vein that ran from her groin to her ankle.  Maybe this will help.

Thanks for the info, Debbie.  I'll check them out.

7 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Does David know what your out of pocket expense will be if you have to get medical attention for a DVT?

If he's in such a hurry, let him drive by himself, and hop a plane.  Magical Express can drop you off around the time he's got everything set up.  Maybe give him instructions on what to have on the table for your dinner when you arrive.

TCD

Thankfully my out-of-pocket expense wasn't too bad.  I have great insurance.

David shouldn't be in such a hurry.  The same thing could happen to him.  He would be happy to drive 500 miles with only one bathroom/fuel break.  He's putting himself in danger too.

12 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

And now, a story.  For those who have blocked my valuable posts, you lose.  Anyway, back a hundred years ago as a young and extremely handsome dental student in Buffalo, NY, I had an instructor whose son was in the Army, stationed at Fort Benning, GA. The son got leave and was anxious to get home and not waste any more leave days than necessary, so he drove straight thru.  Imagine the scene of him driving into his parents driveway while mom and dad were there ready to greet him, he gets out of the car and drops dead immediately.  The blood clot formed in his leg broke loose, travelled to his lung and killed him.  This tragedy is true and impacted a family I knew and cared deeply about.   If you are in the habit of driving long distances without stopping, at the very least you should be moving your legs about.  Lift your heals and exercise those calf muscles.  Better yet, stop every couple hours and walk around a little.

This is a story that should be a reminder to all of us.  It can happen to anyone at any age, and it's so preventable!

Isn't it ironic that as we age our needs become more childlike?

When you travel with kids, unless it's at night and they are sleeping, you are lucky to get 2 to maybe 3 hours driving before a potty break or an I'm bored tirade.

Same as you age, you need to take more frequent stops for bladder or circulatory issues.

The only time you get a break is middle age, until the grandkids come along and you start all over again.

20 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I think you're perfectly normal. 

But then I once drove 40 hours round trip to spend 48 hours in FL - 24 of them in the Magic Kingdom.  ;)

Wow 40 hours for only 48 - that's impressive !!

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

Isn't it ironic that as we age our needs become more childlike?

When you travel with kids, unless it's at night and they are sleeping, you are lucky to get 2 to maybe 3 hours driving before a potty break or an I'm bored tirade.

Same as you age, you need to take more frequent stops for bladder or circulatory issues.

The only time you get a break is middle age, until the grandkids come along and you start all over again.

That is completely the truth !!!

But my other confession is that fortunately for both of us we have very few health issues that impact us driving long distances.  

And we do make sure that we do walk around lots when we stop to eat and/or gas up - oh and I have to say the best thing about driving though the States is the excellent and frequent rest stops and clean bathrooms. 

On 8/3/2016 at 11:21 AM, disneylitch......Debbie said:

Gwen,

They make compression socks that go from the foot to the groin.  My daughter had to wear them when she was pregnant because of a varicose vein that ran from her groin to her ankle.  Maybe this will help.

Yeah, when I had shoulder surgery they gave me some and made me wear them for like 3 days. They look like white thigh highs.  I did save them. Should probably wear them on trips, but since I don't really drive, I can get up and move around whenever.

27 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Maybe approach it another way. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Are there any places along the way that might interest David. Perhaps suggest stopping near one of those places and getting there early enough to visit the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great idea, Yvonne.  But once he leaves home he zeroes in on the Fort and nothing else matters to him except getting there.  He's on a mission.

I'd have a better chance of getting him to stop on the way home.  In years past we've stopped (on the way home) and spent time at Daytona, St. Augustine, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, etc.

Great idea, Yvonne.  But once he leaves home he zeroes in on the Fort and nothing else matters to him except getting there.  He's on a mission.

I'd have a better chance of getting him to stop on the way home.  In years past we've stopped (on the way home) and spent time at Daytona, St. Augustine, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, etc.

Is this something that maybe your children could talk to him about. Not just about why it is dangerous for you, but also for him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ok Gwen, you need to do what the Miller "Queen" and "Princess" does on occasion...  You need to travel like the rockstar that you are!  Get David to drop you off at your kid's in Wake Forest... Send him on his way to the Fort with the dog.  Get your kids to drop you off at RDU and catch a Southwest flight to Orlando.

Let him get to the Fort and get everything set up and in place. You take the 1.5 flight down to Orlando and catch the DME over and get dropped off at the Fort.

Like all rockstars, you let the "roadies" travel ahead and get everything set up, the you swoop in and enjoy the fruits of his labor!

On 8/6/2016 at 7:50 PM, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Is this something that maybe your children could talk to him about. Not just about why it is dangerous for you, but also for him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yvonne, I'll think about that.  Not sure how he would take it.