On 8/6/2016 at 10:02 PM, Duane said:

Ok Gwen, you need to do what the Miller "Queen" and "Princess" does on occasion...  You need to travel like the rockstar that you are!  Get David to drop you off at your kid's in Wake Forest... Send him on his way to the Fort with the dog.  Get your kids to drop you off at RDU and catch a Southwest flight to Orlando.

Let him get to the Fort and get everything set up and in place. You take the 1.5 flight down to Orlando and catch the DME over and get dropped off at the Fort.

Like all rockstars, you let the "roadies" travel ahead and get everything set up, the you swoop in and enjoy the fruits of his labor!

LOL, I wish!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the risk of sounding cold this isn't David's choice to make. The doctor has provided recommendations and more importantly this is about your health. This is a condition that can result in death so

I know this has been discussed on various threads through the years ... wanted to start a thread for this topic specifically. David and I have always traveled 500 miles toward the Fort the first

my Wife and kids don't care as long as we get potty breaks and food we drive till I cant do it anymore, then the wife takes over for 2-3 hours more

We did Cape coral to Nashua for 4th of July this year, Left after work on Friday at 3 pm made it to Florence SC at 12:30 am (630 miles)

Day 2 we were out the door at 8:30 and got to the house around 12:07 am (850 miles) - we sat in 3 hours of traffic this day so that was tons of fun!

I have a hard stop between midnight and 1 am, that way i can get 6 hours of sleep and be ready to go again

on the way home we left at 8 am, and made it to Roanoke Rapids NC (650 miles)  I was planning on bad traffic again as it was a Friday in NYC and DC but we were at the hotel at 9 pm 
Day 2 was all the way back home 8 am to 8 pm( 830 miles) no traffic at all 

would I do it again?  yes, just not on a summer holiday weekend and as long as there is significant savings vs flying
we took our Honda Odyssey and averaged 30 MPG R/T, spent just over $250 on gas, $230 on hotel rooms, and $90 on tolls/ express lanes, I don't count food as either way I would have ate food (flying vs driving) 
went up as 4, came back as 5( niece came to visit for 2 weeks) 
Flights at the same time would have been $2200 R/T and then I would need a rental for a week at $500 ( Boston is expensive)

$570 to drive vs $2700 + to fly( i didn't count bag fees that could add another $100+)

56 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Wow.  That's a long trip in a short time.

you wont believe this... we left on Friday, the Wednesday prior we were dropping T(4) off at VBS and is lil bro S(2) said he wanted to go with his brother, VBS will not allow kids not potty trained, Thursday morning rolls around and S did't have an accident overnight, and use the potty on his own all day long, now were back to Friday, I wanted to put him in a Diaper for the ride, he refused, not 1 accident in the car both ways.... CRAZY! I tell you CRAZY!!

2 hours ago, swimmarz said:

you wont believe this... we left on Friday, the Wednesday prior we were dropping T(4) off at VBS and is lil bro S(2) said he wanted to go with his brother, VBS will not allow kids not potty trained, Thursday morning rolls around and S did't have an accident overnight, and use the potty on his own all day long, now were back to Friday, I wanted to put him in a Diaper for the ride, he refused, not 1 accident in the car both ways.... CRAZY! I tell you CRAZY!!

I believe it!  Motivation works miracles.  Our youngest was 3 and refused to be potty trained until he decided he wanted to go to the same school his siblings attended.  He had accidents the day before he started, but once that first day of school arrived he never had another one. 

How about not having a full tank of gas in the RV for the start of the trip? Plan out where you want to stop to fill up and say, you know since we have to get gas anyways, why don't we stop at this park and have a nice lunch.

I perfer to drive for 1 move between pit stops, unless the kids are sleeping, then gas or my knees are the limit.

1 hour ago, arthuruscg said:

How about not having a full tank of gas in the RV for the start of the trip? Plan out where you want to stop to fill up and say, you know since we have to get gas anyways, why don't we stop at this park and have a nice lunch.

David always keeps the tank full, and we can go around 1,000 miles before having to refuel.  But we usually stop once on the way down for fuel anyway (whichever state is cheapest at the time) and then refuel on the way home at the last Flying J we pass -- Rock Hill, SC.

59 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

David always keeps the tank full, and we can go around 1,000 miles before having to refuel.  But we usually stop once on the way down for fuel anyway (whichever state is cheapest at the time) and then refuel on the way home at the last Flying J we pass -- Rock Hill, SC.

We always stop at that one, too! Maybe we'll see you some day. ;-)

Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of when the twins and I drove cross-country to California.  I was just looking at our itinerary, and didn't realize how brutal it was-  Day one we drove from Dunedin, FL to Baytown, TX about 985 miles and 14 hours.  Day 2, we pushed it even harder and drove from Baytown, TX to Wilcox, AZ, which was right at 1,000 miles and took us 15 hours. That left us with a short drive of about 550 miles, which took us about 8 hours on Day 3.

When it came time for them to come home in January, I was happy to stroke the checks to have their cars shipped back and them fly home.

TCD

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of when the twins and I drove cross-country to California.  I was just looking at our itinerary, and didn't realize how brutal it was-  Day one we drove from Dunedin, FL to Baytown, TX about 985 miles and 14 hours.  Day 2, we pushed it even harder and drove from Baytown, TX to Wilcox, AZ, which was right at 1,000 miles and took us 15 hours. That left us with a short drive of about 550 miles, which took us about 8 hours on Day 3.

When it came time for them to come home in January, I was happy to stroke the checks to have their cars shipped back and them fly home.

TCD

Wasn't it fun?.. :(  .. In 1971 we did a similar trip after our wedding. Spent our honeymoon in New Orleans and then had to get back to the base. 

Cincinnati to New Orleans to El Paso to San Diego.   Definitely glad I was a lot younger. 

29 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Wasn't it fun?.. :(  .. In 1971 we did a similar trip after our wedding. Spent our honeymoon in New Orleans and then had to get back to the base. 

Cincinnati to New Orleans to El Paso to San Diego.   Definitely glad I was a lot younger. 

It was more fun than I thought it would be, but I don't look forward to ever doing it again.  We debated going slower and seeing the sights, but that would just add to our mileage and travel time, so we just drove.  We were very glad when we arrived in California.

I'm glad we weren't towing a trailer.

TCD

It's 1200 miles from here (CT) to the fort; we normally split the drive on the way down and try to drive straight through on the way home.

On the way down, no one wants to be exhausted and miserable on the first couple of days of the trip trying to catch up on sleep.

If we are on the road by 6 am from the fort when we leave, we're home by midnight.

Either way, we stop every 300 miles or so for gas, a stretch, a driver switch and a walk around to get the blood flowing a bit. I'm used to driving 300 miles at a clip weekly, so it's not too much of a stretch. I don't, however, like driving much after midnight. I guess I just can't do the overnight drives like I used to be able to.

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Sounds similar to what Rene and I did for our honeymoon. We left right after the reception and drove straight through the night from Chicago to west of Denver. About 1200 miles. After that we kept it down to about 500 miles a day to arrive in SoCal.

2 hours ago, rjpete said:

My 10 year old son tells me, "Dad the adventure starts when we leave the house." We now, as a family, see it as "We get there when we get there."

I'm the same way.  I always remind my wife, the vacation starts once the camper is hitched up, and it ends when its back in the barn safely unhitched.  

Hi Gwen.  As a retired person with some medical background, let me assure you that you are NOT being unreasonable with your request for frequent rest stops.  The condition you reported is not merely painful or uncomfortable, it can lead to very serious complications if not managed correctly.  It seems your physician has given you a treatment plan to follow, and I encourage you to follow it carefully.  Have your spouse talk with the Doc. if necessary.  It does not matter how the rest of the Fiends travel to the Fort, what matters is that you arrive safely and can enjoy your time there.

Safe travels, PghBob

1 hour ago, PghBob said:

Hi Gwen.  As a retired person with some medical background, let me assure you that you are NOT being unreasonable with your request for frequent rest stops.  The condition you reported is not merely painful or uncomfortable, it can lead to very serious complications if not managed correctly.  It seems your physician has given you a treatment plan to follow, and I encourage you to follow it carefully.  Have your spouse talk with the Doc. if necessary.  It does not matter how the rest of the Fiends travel to the Fort, what matters is that you arrive safely and can enjoy your time there.

Safe travels, PghBob

Thank you.  David is slowly realizing I'm not gonna change my mind on this issue.  Yes, we will be bored overnighting twice on the way down.  But I'm just not willing to take a chance on a repeat situation.

I am, however, discouraged by how long some of the Fiends drive.  I don't want this to happen to anyone else!

Yes, we will be bored overnighting twice on the way down.

Do yall stop at campgrounds or places like Crackle Barrels and such. Maybe you can make it a fun part of the trip down. Look for places you've wanted to visit or have something to do in the evening. Stop in time to go have a meal at a restaurant you might not have at home, or watch the sunset, a campground with activities, something that interest David, just something to get you out of the MH for an hour or more. Might help break up the trip and make stops not a dreaded thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It isn't really getting there any faster if David spends the first week or two staying with you in the hospital and at the MH while you convalesce afterwards. Besides there's nothing much more boring than hospital TV and watching the people walk by the door out in the hall. 

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Do yall stop at campgrounds or places like Crackle Barrels and such. Maybe you can make it a fun part of the trip down. Look for places you've wanted to visit or have something to do in the evening. Stop in time to go have a meal at a restaurant you might not have at home, or watch the sunset, a campground with activities, something that interest David, just something to get you out of the MH for an hour or more. Might help break up the trip and make stops not a dreaded thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We always overnight at Cracker Barrel or Flying J.  Easy off/on 95.  Have at least one sit-down meal each travel day.  Pretty much nothing to see/do along our route.    We won't have a toad, so no exploring.  But Flying J is entertainment in itself.

Thanks for the suggstions!