CS ice maker, and general chilling

I wouldn't bank on using the ice machine at the CS. When we were there last Christmas (loop 500, I think), we lost money in it twice. We had reported it and hoped they fixed it but they obviously didn't. My point is, they may or may not give you any ice back when you put your money in.

1 hour ago, CJHokie said:

I wouldn't bank on using the ice machine at the CS. When we were there last Christmas (loop 500, I think), we lost money in it twice. We had reported it and hoped they fixed it but they obviously didn't. My point is, they may or may not give you any ice back when you put your money in.

I've always looked at the ice machines as expensive slot machines.

You never know for sure what you're going to get after you push those quarters in.

Sometimes it's nothing.  Sometimes it's half a bag of ice.  And sometimes, you hit the jack pot and your bag will overflow.

It makes life interesting.

By the way, if you lose your money, you can visit the front desk (how convenient), and they'll give you back your $2.00. 

That's why I mostly buy my ice from the trading posts.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

And the ice machine ice is more like a slushie than real ice.

Very soft and fast melting.

True, and even more so in the summer.

When you dump the ice in your cooler, there's already going to be a pint of so of water in the bag with the ice.

Another reason to get the more frozen ice from the trading posts.

TCD

We have a very tiny fridge too. We do bring an extra fridge for our long trip at Halloween, but for shorter trips, we do this. We use the camper fridge to hold things that could actually spoil, or don't tolerate floating in water, like some milk, half and half, sandwich fixings, eggs, etc. We don't cook a lot at the Fort. We also buy what we do need locally in FL.

We use the coolers for sodas, beer, water, etc. Drinks stay cold for quite a while even in slushy ice water. We buy our ice in the evening, so if we do want a mixed drink that actually needs ice, we have that each evening, then the cans/bottles can sit in the slushy water during the day and still be cool before we replenish.