The nerve of these people, this is so friggin wrong!

A woman posted this on a FB I love camping at Disney's Fort Wilderness  site.

She is not condoning it, she is very against it. There are 42 comments all anti this posting.  A lot of people want to send it to Disney.

The homeschooling group is Homeschool Club of Central Florida.

I just got an e-mail from a homeschool group that I'm a member of. I have never been to any of there meet-ups. This makes me mad. I live near WDW and make reservations at FW so we can enjoy Halloween there.  

Trick or treat!! FREE event
Export  Tell a friend  Share
Monday, October 31, 2016
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Disney Fort Wilderness Campground
Vista Drive, Lake Buena Vista, FL (map)

Playground by the dock
This is our favorite place to enjoy Halloween evening and it's free, just as trick or treating should be!! So please come join us.

There's no parking available at the campgrounds during this event, so don't bother wasting your time trying to park there. You can try to park at the Polynesian (say you're eating at a restaurant there) or you can park off site somewhere sensible and uber in (which is what we plan to do). Plan to get there early, it won't be easy to wait long in costume. I'll have my cell 
Phone as well, for anyone that arrives late. It's just nearly impossible to find each other once the sunsets, because this isn't the most 
Well lit of places and everyone's in costumes and there's thousands of people roaming around the thousands of well decorated campsites. Last year my girls buckets were full 
After just one RV camp loop. So 30 minutes around and their buckets so heavy (with quality candy) we had to start eating it to make room for more. But really, bring extra bags, a backpack or something to keep the fun going. The decorations these campers display are outstanding.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just two words for this.  Starlight Mints.

This kind of begs the question, how many big bags of Halloween candy should I buy at Costco before we get to the Fort? I thought about sending the DW out in costume to trick or treat and use her loot

it was me.... she wanted to know the site/ sites that things were posted on so i took numerous screen shots and sent them to her after our conversation, I also talked to her about the pool being use

These are the types of folks that ruin a good thing. Disney needs to control the local non-guests that can access their resorts. If City of Chapel Hill could manage to limit their Halloween street party to students and residents after outsiders caused all types of problems then with Disney's with its well controlled environment should be able to do it too.

This kind of begs the question, how many big bags of Halloween candy should I buy at Costco before we get to the Fort? I thought about sending the DW out in costume to trick or treat and use her loot to keep the bowl filled!  :lol::P

I have just two words for this.  Starlight Mints.

Disney has no reason to stop this until someone gets hurt....they only stand to gain financially by a packed campground and extra guests who just might spend some money.  But the general lack of security as to who is entering the campground by car, bus, boat or Uber, coupled with thousands of costumed children roaming around in the dark who can easily disappear from their parent's sight in the midst of a lot of chaos, is a bit worrisome.   Add an overabundance of golf carts, alcohol and a general lack of self control and common decency in our society at large, and you have a recipe for disaster.  It boggles the mind that Disney allows this to continue.  But....refer to my first sentence.

They need to put the hangmans noose in somewhere around the settlement. Anyone that pulls this crap should be hung without trial. I have not personally seen the locals mooching off of the mouse in the fort but I have seen it over at the grand floridian once. We pay high rates for the locals to get in free which is BS. It is people like this that make me want to personally fly them to california, figure out a way to get the fault line to rupture and split that state from the rest of the US, watch it float out into the ocean and sink.

Sorry in a bit of a foul mood still since dealing with the phone reps at disney tonight.

Here we go again.

This is nothing new.

Locals have invaded the Fort every Halloween for as long as I can remember.

We had a big discussion about it right here on Fort Fiends 5 years ago.

Amazingly, nothing has changed:

The brouhaha back then stemmed from a post in an Orlando Sentinel Blog that is very similar to the post that Mark quoted above.  This was what that post said:

Here’s yet another option for Halloween fun at Walt Disney World: dinner and decorations — plus trick-or-treating — at Fort Wilderness Campground.

On Oct. 31, the Disney characters at Mickey’s Backyard BBQ will be wearing their costumes and they invite guests to do the same for a Halloween-themed dance party from 5 to 7 p.m. There will be plenty of photo opportunities and an all-you-can-eat supper outdoors.

The buffet includes baked chicken, barbecued pork ribs, hot dogs, cheeseburgers, coleslaw, baked beans, cornbread, watermelon and frozen treats. Beer, wine, lemonade and iced tea are included. The cost is $50.99 for adults and $29.99 for kids ages 3 to 9, and reservations can be made at 407-WDW-DINE.

Mickey’s Backyard BBQ includes candy for trick-or-treaters, but if the little ones want to go door-to-door, many campers in the past have chosen to participate in the annual tradition on Halloween night.

As a bonus, guests will see all the wonderful, and often elaborate, decorations that campers have on display. Orange lights and character blow-ups are standard. One family already has set up a walk-through graveyard near their site this year. Spooky at night! And don’t forget to check out the golf carts whizzing by because they’re likely to be adorned for the holiday, too.

Like I said, that was 5 years ago.

If you read through that thread, you will see that several members of this forum called Fort management, and were assured that there would be measures taken to stop this abuse.

And here we are.

TCD

The campers at the Fort are the only ones that can change this behavior. I think everyone should have a campground meeting the morning of Trick-or-Treating with management and Security. Enough people demand something be done, and it will happen. All it would take is a cast member with a magic band scanner at the entrance to every loop. No current reservation, no entrance into the loop for Trick-or-Treating.

37 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you read through that thread, you will see that several members of this forum called Fort management, and were assured that there would be measures taken to stop this abuse.

They've been putting the "no parking" sign out for the overflow lot (see "least they can do"), but of course that only stops the people coming by car. Clearly folks have figured out (and publicized) that there are plenty of other ways to get into the Fort.

Personally it's not the extra candy I'm worried about as much as what Dave said about security.

13 minutes ago, Specularius said:

All it would take is a cast member with a magic band scanner at the entrance to every loop. No current reservation, no entrance into the loop for Trick-or-Treating.

Not even that many.  One at the dock and one at the bus stop scanning anyone getting on an internal bus would do the trick. No reservation (campsite or dinner) no entrance.

If they want to make a reservation at Trails End to get in, fine - there are only so many of those and if they don't actually use that reservation they're going to get charged $10 a head.  So much for "free" candy.

There is a very simple way of determining who belongs and who doesn't.

At check, you are given an ID bracelet like they use at hospitals, one for each guest on your reservation. (they gave cheapie ones out in 2014 at the pool for 4th of July).

Guests need to wear them to participate in activities and to use the pool, campfire etc. for length of stay.

Since they are still not scanning MBs anywhere at the Fort, this will differentiate campers from visitors from the parks and other resorts that have MBs.

And for Halloween, campers will be able to tell who is a camping trick or treater and who is an outsider.

Do this for a couple of years, and the outsider population at the pool and Halloween will drop.

Back in the good ol days, you used to be given an ID card and a transportation card that you had to show to get on a bus or boat, so this is just like they used to do.

But, doesn't Disney inform guests at the other resorts to head to the Fort for trick or treat?

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

There is a very simple way of determining who belongs and who doesn't.

Of course there are simple ways to solve this problem.

So, why has the management not solved it?

Because it's not a problem for them. 

Freeloaders cost them nothing.

They only care about the bottom line.

That has been made abundantly clear.

If campers ever stopped coming for Halloween, they would take notice.

But, despite all of the bellyaching, and ever increasing campsite rates, there won't be an open campsite in the Fort.  There will be plenty of decorated campsites, and lots of decorated carts in the golf cart parade.

So nothing changes.

That Mommy Blogger ought to tell folks to bring extra buckets for the premium candy the suckers who pay for this will be passing out again this year.

What a deal!

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That Mommy Blogger ought to tell folks to bring extra buckets for the premium candy the suckers who pay for this will be passing out again this year.

What a deal!

TCD

She did

After just one RV camp loop. So 30 minutes around and their buckets so heavy (with quality candy) we had to start eating it to make room for more. But really, bring extra bags, a backpack or something to keep the fun going

16 minutes ago, Travisma said:

She did

After just one RV camp loop. So 30 minutes around and their buckets so heavy (with quality candy) we had to start eating it to make room for more. But really, bring extra bags, a backpack or something to keep the fun going

Oh, I missed that.

Good advice.

It's going to be great for them!

TCD

15 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Willing to bet the fort will never do anything to weed out the outsiders because it would be too much effort and cost on their part. I'm assuming their response will nothing and then eventually cancelling it all when something happens.

But they sure will prevent you from accessing a pool at a different resort!

Cheap plastic ID bracelets for the entire fort for a year would cost them probably 2 days rental of a cabin.

Making them unique maybe another night.

Like TCD said, they could do it IF they wanted to, but obviously campers rights rank down there with fungus and stink bugs.

They go out of their way to protect "resort" guests, but leave us wide open.

And like Beckers said, once something "bad" happens they will stop everything.

29 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

We have been there for several Halloween nights.  Every one has been insane.

But, I'd go again if the dates worked out- freeloaders and all.

Disney always wins.

TCD

We have been there many Halloweens as well and every year it gets gets worse. Granted last year was on a Saturday which contributed to the madness but it was not fun at all for us.  From now on we will try to go the week leading up to Halloween and leave before "the" day.   

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

And like Beckers said, once something "bad" happens they will stop everything.

DIT said it first earlier in the thread.  It's going to take someone getting hurt and a lawsuit or big settlement payout before they'll do a thing.

Look how fast they dug into that pile of money they have stashed away in the Outpost after that alligator attack.

Previous to that, it took a poor child getting killed by a bus before they fixed a dangerous aspect of the road between the 1400 and 1500 loops.

The ONLY thing that they care about is money, money, money.

TCD