The nerve of these people, this is so friggin wrong!

No one is forcing anyone to hand out candy at the Fort on Halloween. It’s not a required part of your stay.  People are undertaking it themselves because they want to.  And if they’d stop, there would still be people coming to see the decorations and the costumes, but not nearly as many. What would happen if the CAMPERS asked to see proof that someone was staying there before they gave out candy.  You have to have your site number written on your Magic Band.  Or had some other requirement.  We have a neighbor who is known for giving out full size candy bars for Halloween. But first, the child must recite a Bible verse. As far as I know, that’s perfectly legal.  Halloween candy is not a right. And the Fort Trick or Treating is not an official WDW activity.  If it were, THEY would be providing the candy.  I think an organized group of people could help shut it down, although it would take a few years for word of mouth to get around about how stingy the campers had become. Unfortunately, one can’t do the same with the pool.

It's like feeding the alligators and then wondering why they keep coming back. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just two words for this.  Starlight Mints.

This kind of begs the question, how many big bags of Halloween candy should I buy at Costco before we get to the Fort? I thought about sending the DW out in costume to trick or treat and use her loot

it was me.... she wanted to know the site/ sites that things were posted on so i took numerous screen shots and sent them to her after our conversation, I also talked to her about the pool being use

19 minutes ago, Seals said:

No one is forcing anyone to hand out candy at the Fort on Halloween. It’s not a required part of your stay.  People are undertaking it themselves because they want to.  And if they’d stop, there would still be people coming to see the decorations and the costumes, but not nearly as many. What would happen if the CAMPERS asked to see proof that someone was staying there before they gave out candy.  You have to have your site number written on your Magic Band.  Or had some other requirement.  We have a neighbor who is known for giving out full size candy bars for Halloween. But first, the child must recite a Bible verse. As far as I know, that’s perfectly legal.  Halloween candy is not a right. And the Fort Trick or Treating is not an official WDW activity.  If it were, THEY would be providing the candy.  I think an organized group of people could help shut it down, although it would take a few years for word of mouth to get around about how stingy the campers had become. Unfortunately, one can’t do the same with the pool.

It's like feeding the alligators and then wondering why they keep coming back. 

This all sounds good in the abstract, but there's no way I would ever tell some poor cute child standing there in a Buzz Lightyear costume that he can't have any candy because his mommy is an inconsiderate moocher.

You are correct- nobody has to pass out candy, and a lot of guests don't.  If I ever go again on Halloween, I'll buy a bunch of candy, and when it's gone, it's gone.  I hate freeloaders as much as the next guy (actually more, I'll bet), but it's a few hours on one evening of my trip.  Not as big a deal as some folks want to make it.

TCD

I'm torn on this, last year was out first Halloween at the Fort. Granted we didn't leave the 900 loop after about 3pm so can't complain about traffic or anything else. There were a lot of people coming through, I know some we chatted with were CMs and their families, and I'm sure some or a lot from other resorts or off property. We knew from reading and asking on here that we would go through a lot of candy so we stocked up and didn't go crazy handing out candy. I'm sure we were one of the less popular sites for candy because we bought the big Childs Play candy bags because they were gluten and nut free. We didn't mind handing out a lot of candy or beads that we had or alcohol to those over 21, it was fun and what we were there for I don't care who or where the people came from as long as they were happy, having fun, and polite (which most were, surprisingly ).

Now want gets me is its one thing to know and do something like take your family to the Fort to trick or treat but it's completely different to plaster it on the Internet and set up something for multiple families to come join you. Then give them tips on how to get around parking and such. That's what makes me angry, if you figure it out ok a few family members or close friends but to announce it to everyone that's not ok. It will lead to more people going and something happening or Disney shutting it down all together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

We have been there for several Halloween nights.  Every one has been insane.

But, I'd go again if the dates worked out- freeloaders and all.

Disney always wins.

TCD

Of course Disney ALWAYS wins - it doesn't matter what it is:

2 hours ago, Beckers said:

Willing to bet the fort will never do anything to weed out the outsiders because it would be too much effort and cost on their part. I'm assuming their response will nothing and then eventually cancelling it all when something happens.

And they win because of it's "too much effort" for them to care unless it costs them money.  

All I can offer is what we did the last time we spent Halloween at the Fort - which was a couple of years ago I have to admit -

we turned off ALL our lights - pulled up the solar lights and made the site completely dark.  There were only a couple of kids in the loop so we had handed out goodies earlier in the day WITH THEIR PARENTS PRESENT and whom we had been interacting with for several days.  

Sounds mean I'm sure to some folks but........ we're also those people in the neighbourhood here at home who don't like people driving in from other places to canvas our houses.  I'm always watching to see that I KNOW the kids at my door.

Not an ideal nor elegant solution but there will always be people with a LOT OF "FRIGGIN' NERVE" 

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Previous to that, it took a poor child getting killed by a bus before they fixed a dangerous aspect of the road between the 1400 and 1500 loops.

The ONLY thing that they care about is money, money, money.

TCD

I must not be very observant, because I didn't really notice any difference between before and after the bus accident.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I must not be very observant, because I didn't really notice any difference between before and after the bus accident.

Obviously, it was not something that was publicized. 

As you may recall, the boy was riding his bike from the 1400 loop, along Big Pine Drive, heading to drive adjacent to the Tennis Courts.  He was on the sidewalk, which at the time had only a very, very narrow separation from the roadway.  No one knows for sure what happened- only that the boy apparently veered off the sidewalk and right into the side of the passing bus. The reason why there was no buffer between the sidewalk and the road was that there was a large rectangular landscaped area in the middle of the road.  You can see it circled here in this photo:

big%20pine%20dr%201_zpszsvxlp0p.jpg

Here's a closer look at the area in question- note how there is no separation between the road and sidewalk:

big%20pine%20dr%202_zpsjbzfitve.jpg

This is a recent photo of the same area- after the landscaped area in the middle of the road was removed and a buffer placed between the road and sidewalk:

big%20pine%20dr%203_zpszmttqxqx.jpg

TCD

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Obviously, it was not something that was publicized. 

As you may recall, the boy was riding his bike from the 1400 loop, along Big Pine Drive, heading to drive adjacent to the Tennis Courts.  He was on the sidewalk, which at the time had only a very, very narrow separation from the roadway.  No one knows for sure what happened- only that the boy apparently veered off the sidewalk and right into the side of the passing bus. The reason why there was no buffer between the sidewalk and the road was that there was a large rectangular landscaped area in the middle of the road.  You can see it circled here in this photo:

big%20pine%20dr%201_zpszsvxlp0p.jpg

Here's a closer look at the area in question- note how there is no separation between the road and sidewalk:

big%20pine%20dr%202_zpsjbzfitve.jpg

This is a recent photo of the same area- after the landscaped area in the middle of the road was removed and a buffer placed between the road and sidewalk:

big%20pine%20dr%203_zpszmttqxqx.jpg

TCD

Ahah, ok. I didn't remember the tree island in the middle of the road.

Remember when Disney cared about Fort security? They used to have the guard shack on Vista Blvd coming in from the golf course and you had to show a transportation card to get on busses, internal trams, or boats.

So what changed?  

I know the shack was damaged during a storm, but I can't remember if it was still in use at that time.

Was that the beginning of the end of Disney keeping out non campers?

I know the shack was in use in Dec 2001.

Also, in that time period, or near that time, I was actually asked to show resort ID when going to board the resort monorail leaving the Magic Kingdom. I wasn't staying at a monorail resort, but was going to dinner at the Poly.

You also had to show a park ticket or resort ID to enter the TTC.

We did halloween the last 5 years and It really was not bad until the last 2 years. In all honesty last year people started to get pretty rude. We now know what it is like and may come back in a few years or if security gets sorted out. It really could blow up into a pretty bad situation very easily and you would be on your own to sort it out for some time before help could get in. 

The original FB poster put this up last night

UPDATE! I just got a call from someone from Disney management and they assured me it was being handled.  He stated it is not right for someone to "piggyback" off of someone else's event!  I so hope something will be done!

At least she got a reply.

43 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The original FB poster put this up last night

UPDATE! I just got a call from someone from Disney management and they assured me it was being handled.  He stated it is not right for someone to "piggyback" off of someone else's event!  I so hope something will be done!

At least she got a reply.

In the thread I linked above, several members of this board reported that they received assurances from Fort Wilderness management that the freeloader problem would be handled.

That was 5 years ago.  Nothing was done then, and nothing will be done now.

Talk is cheap.

TCD

29 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

In the thread I linked above, several members of this board reported that they received assurances from Fort Wilderness management that the freeloader problem would be handled.

Talk is cheap.

TCD

Especially when you don't even need a stamp!

all this talk has me nervous for my first Halloween at the fort, and I may be an enabler....

I booked our trip long ago, and then my boss in Boston heard about it, her and her family camp but didn't have the time to drive down

they are staying at POR and they booked the NSSMHP for the night of the 31'st
they will be flying in at 10 am, checking in at 2 pm and then hanging at our campsite till its time to head to MK for the party

7 minutes ago, swimmarz said:

all this talk has me nervous for my first Halloween at the fort, and I may be an enabler....

I booked our trip long ago, and then my boss in Boston heard about it, her and her family camp but didn't have the time to drive down

they are staying at POR and they booked the NSSMHP for the night of the 31'st
they will be flying in at 10 am, checking in at 2 pm and then hanging at our campsite till its time to head to MK for the party

But you are a camper, and remember you are allowed 10 people per site, so depending on how you look at it, you are fine, or you are a bad influence! 

In your instance I'd say you are fine.

Now if you were staying off property or both at another Disney resort that would be another story.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I personally wouldn't do it because it'd be a hassle getting there and how much candy do you need. However, the neighborhood I grew up in was a circle and tons of people would just drop their kids off from elsewhere and let them walk around the whole thing.  So, it's not that foreign of a concept to me. I camp every Halloween in a much smaller campground but take candy and give it out to any kids that come by, just like if I were at home. 

If I lived near the Fort but didn't have a lot of neighbors or was in a not great neighborhood, I would want to take my kids to a reasonably safe place with a good volume of homes, and Ft. W fits the bill. Add to that the awesome decorations, and it sounds great. 

I do not agree with the organizing of large groups though. You gotta keep that stuff quiet.

Around here the public trick or treating events are advertised on the radio stations and as public Facebook events. I can't see how someone could confuse trick or treating at a Disney resort as a public event and share that information with a social group. I honestly think that is what most people are upset about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Around here the public trick or treating events are advertised on the radio stations and as public Facebook events. I can't see how someone could confuse trick or treating at a Disney resort as a public event and share that information with a social group. I honestly think that is what most people are upset about.

That reminds me-

They used to have free trick-or-treating at Downtown Disney years ago.

It looks like the last time they offered it was in 2010:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/10/happy-haunting-at-downtown-disney/

Happy Haunting at Downtown Disney

Michelle Baumann

by Michelle Baumann, Walt Disney World Public Relations

Boy Enjoying Halloween at Disney

I just wanted to let you know if you couldn’t get tickets for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom, you can still trick-or-treat at Walt Disney World Resort. On both Oct. 30 and Oct. 31, kids can don costumes and trick-or-treat throughout Downtown Disney. There are at least 20 shops and restaurants throughout the West Side, Pleasure Island and the Marketplace that will offer goodies from 5-9 p.m. There’s also a kid’s DJ dance party at the Waterside Stage, a magician, stilt walkers, storytelling and a few other happy haunts. Sounds like fun for the whole family!

The beancounters finally put an end to that.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2011/09/free-trick-or-treating-cancelled-for-downtown-disney-at-walt-disney-world/

Free trick-or-treating cancelled for Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World

Posted on September 22, 2011 by Ricky Brigante 2 Comments

Walt Disney World is playing a trick this Halloween, removing all the free treats from Downtown Disney. The Orlando Sentinel has confirmed that the annual tradition of offering free trick-or-treating on Halloween (and the day before) has been cancelled.

Disney is citing overcrowding and extreme popularity as the reasons for ending the experience, which not only included free candy but also photo opportunities and other entertainment. Despite long lines, guests’ -ahem- spirits were always high, providing families with an opportunity to enjoy some not-so-scary fun without paying for theme park admission.

Guests can still trick-or-treat at Walt Disney World, but a ticket to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party will be necessary to load up on sugar for this spooky season.

You see how the 9/22/11 article says that Disney is citing overcrowding and extreme popularity as the reasons to end the experience?

Did Disney ever stop to think what all the guests who used to crowd this popular event would do if they couldn't go to Downtown Disney?

Word traveled fast that there was free (and better) trick-or-treating at the Fort.

Heck, it's just around the corner!

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That reminds me-

They used to have free trick-or-treating at Downtown Disney years ago.

The beancounters finally put an end to that.

Word traveled fast that there was free (and better) trick-or-treating at the Fort.

TCD

And the plot thickens!

Disney puts a stop to their candy give away.

They don't stop people from going to Disney's Fort Wilderness.

To the uninformed, Disney is sponsoring this candy free for all !

They look like the heroes!

I bet someone in management got a nice bonus off of that deal.

Just now, Travisma said:

And the plot thickens!

Disney puts a stop to their candy give away.

They don't stop people from going to Disney's Fort Wilderness.

To the uninformed, Disney is sponsoring this candy free for all !

They look like the heroes!

I bet someone in management got a nice bonus off of that deal.

Absolutely.  It's a win/win for them.

That thread I linked from five years ago referenced an Orlando Sentinel Blog post that was pimping a special Halloween edition of the Backyard BBQ.  The article stated that guests could enjoy trick-or-treating around the Fort after the BBQ.  I believed then, and I believe now, that it was Disney management that gave the Orlando Sentinel that information. It was a way for them to attract customers to the BBQ.  So, instead of a free event, Disney could charge a premium and make some $$$.

I don't think they ever did the Halloween Backyard BBQ again after that year.  They caught a lot of flack for it- a lot from members here.  But, they still don't do anything to stop the flood of outsiders who invade the Fort on Halloween night.

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Absolutely.  It's a win/win for them.

the flood of outsiders who invade the Fort on Halloween night.

TCD

Or every holiday weekend and the 4th of July!

What I don't understand is they are protective of their resort properties which are pretty closed environments.  Everyone has a locked door going to their room.  There are guards at the parking lot gates, various workers wandering around hopefully keeping an eye out for unusual behavior.

The Fort is wide open, anyone can wander thru the loops and help themselves to whatever they see lying around.

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Talk is cheap.

TCD

I'm sure something will be done. Most likely Fort mgt will talk about it and do a cost study. After seeing the costs they will decide it isn't cost effective to change the current procedures and everything will be the same as it was. However they will be able to say they did something.